Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
You can mix and match dirt and gt. Alternatively, the RX expansion gives you rallycross which is head to head racing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The End posted:

You can mix and match dirt and gt. Alternatively, the RX expansion gives you rallycross which is head to head racing

Oh, I didn't even notice that. Good point! Well, I think I'll cave and get it anyway - with all the expacks, despite my original plans of avoiding expansions :v: I'm definitely gonna have to make that super-track with R:GT, R:D and its bonus backer+expansion tiles. My friends will hate me by the end of it :D

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

I'm definitely gonna have to make that super-track with R:GT, R:D and its bonus backer+expansion tiles. My friends will hate me by the end of it :D

There is an app where you can make nutso track combinations

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just want Rallyman style tiles but Gaslands mechanics :allears:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I just want Rallyman style tiles but Gaslands mechanics :allears:

Not the same system, but have you heard about Apocalypse Road?

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-623-apocalypse-road.aspx

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gorelab posted:

So uh, Sidereal Confluence is ridiculously fun even over TTS. I now really want to find a chance to play that thing IRL. And also inflict it on all my friends, though I'm pretty sure it 100% wouldn't work well for alot of them.

How do you manage the voice chat?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Multiple voice chat rooms + the mod having little pawns you could use to signal 'hey I'm trying to get you're attention'. It was chaotic, but mostly dealable for what it was.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

djfooboo posted:

Not the same system, but have you heard about Apocalypse Road?

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-623-apocalypse-road.aspx

I've had that on and off my P500 about 4 times now while it's been taking ages to become a thing. Now that it's finally in production and only a few months away I'm totally back in.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Multiple voice chat rooms + the mod having little pawns you could use to signal 'hey I'm trying to get you're attention'. It was chaotic, but mostly dealable for what it was.

The 2nd/remastered edition is up for preorder on most sites now if you're interested in a physical copy!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just very :3: about the fact that more and more KS games these days seem to be including TTS modules to allow backers to test the game about before backing it.

Just "Here's our game we hope you enjoy it enough to back" :3:

Kleos just launched, I've legit barely looked at it, but I'm going to see if the lads are keen to try it out this weekend.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jimkav/kleos-by-azure-horizon-games?ref=discovery_category_newest

(On top of Dune and Root, so I can decide which one I'll buy first :v:)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just got a package of board games from 401 - Root Underworld, Root Mechanical Expansion, the Menara expansion, and the newest set of Unlocks. Board games! Thankfully they can all be played co-op or single player (I mean, Root with the mechanical expansion, anyway). Just something to tide me over until I can actually play games with friends.

I still can't believe this was the year I decided to start a monthly board game day. At least I was able to get one in before social distancing.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

The 2nd/remastered edition is up for preorder on most sites now if you're interested in a physical copy!

Do we have a list of the changes made in the remaster?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I've never played the game, so I'm not sure. I just know that gorelab has gotten into board gaming during the Pandemic, so I wanted them to know of the opportunity to get it physical easily if they wanted it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone played Mezo and have thoughts they can share? It re-releases under Asmodee on Friday and I was curious.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh wow, Apocalypse Road is at the printer? Never thought I'd see the day!

Now do Expansion or Extinction! https://www.gmtgames.com/p-717-expansion-or-extinction.aspx

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What is P500?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

GMT's preorder system that's functionally a proto-Kickstarter. When they hit a certain number (usually 500) of orders it will trigger the printing process.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's what GMT calls their ordering system. The idea is, they let orders build up until there's about 500, then they do a print run. New games tend to blow past 500. Old games tend to build up slowly, until people notice it's getting close to 500 and there's a sudden rush of orders.

You don't get charged til they actually ship the game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Neat! Thank you.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

It's great that you don't pay in advance and can cancel at basically any time, but it can also be annoying seeing something on there you're really excited about and then have to wait 4 years while it gathers enough orders and then crawls through final development.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Would anyone know of the UK release date for Unmatched: cobble and fog? I'm playing Unmatched volume 1 and it's tremendously fun.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Von Linus posted:

Would anyone know of the UK release date for Unmatched: cobble and fog? I'm playing Unmatched volume 1 and it's tremendously fun.

Last I saw on the BGG forums it was "Later this year" I got sick of waiting for the Jurassic Park set, and heard rumours licensing would stop it getting a UK release so wound up paying over the odds to import it (drat customs fees)

Knowing my luck it will come out next week.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Ugh I need to unsubscribe to So Very Wrong About Games, I now got to add Versailles 1919 to my list of games I want to play.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
So I'm looking for suggestions on new games for my fiance and I, that we could maybe pull a friend or two into as well.

Spirit Island is probably our favorite game right now and we're waiting for Jagged Earth to ship, and we also played a lot of Marvel Legendary. We're looking for thematic games, and co-op is a plus, because by her own admission she is a very sore loser. She enjoyed Fury of Dracula to a point (her first game is the one where we realized we had been loving the rules up and she was Dracula, but she loved the plotting,) and she enjoyed Whitehall for the same reason. She liked Waterdeep but mostly liked the puzzle of solving quests and how there was more than one path to win; in fact, she absolutely HATES games like Splendor and Roll Player where each round is basically just buying stuff to make your score go up.

About the only 'competitive' game she likes that we've played on the regular is Captain Sonar, but she also enjoys party games and social deduction a bit more than normal board games.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 23, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

John Dyne posted:

So I'm looking for suggestions on new games for my fiance and I, that we could maybe pull a friend or two into as well.

Spirit Island is probably our favorite game right now and we're waiting for Jagged Earth to ship, and we also played a lot of Marvel Legendary. We're looking for thematic games, and co-op is a plus, because by her own admission she is a very sore loser. She enjoyed Fury of Dracula to a point (her first game is the one where we realized we had been loving the rules up and she was Dracula, but she loved the plotting,) and she enjoyed Whitehall for the same reason. She liked Waterdeep but mostly liked the puzzle of solving quests and how there was more than one path to win; in fact, she absolutely HATES games like Splendor and Roll Player where each round is basically just buying stuff to make your score go up.

About the only 'competitive' game she likes that we've played on the regular is Captain Sonar, but she also enjoys party games and social deduction a bit more than normal board games.

Have you played Pandemic? It's a co-op for 2-4, a bit of a modern classic with a wide range of difficulty options. There's also Pandemic: Legacy, which you can only play a finite number of times (12-24); it has an ongoing plot, evolving game mechanics, and persistent player characters and map effects.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Krazyface posted:

Have you played Pandemic? It's a co-op for 2-4, a bit of a modern classic with a wide range of difficulty options. There's also Pandemic: Legacy, which you can only play a finite number of times (12-24); it has an ongoing plot, evolving game mechanics, and persistent player characters and map effects.

We have played it and I asked her, and she IS a fan of it. We haven't bought it because another friend owns the normal version, but buying a different version might be a good idea.

We've also played Betrayal and own the Baldur's Gate version, but our enjoyment depends on the group and how we end up against each other.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

John Dyne posted:

Gloomhaven?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

We started playing it with a friend but haven't been able to really nail a time down to keep playing, and he doesn't want to part with it. We only did the first map, and she enjoyed it but it was a little clunky at first.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

John Dyne posted:

Marvel Champions is way more engaging than Marvel Legendary and has a campaign expansion coming out soon. That might be a perfect fit for you.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

John Dyne posted:

For card games: the FFG Living Card Games that are coop. Marvel Champions, Arkham Horror LCG, and Lord of the Rings. Aeon's End is also imo a very good cooperative deck building game alongside The Big Book of Madness. I'd also suggest Pandemic, Hanabi, any of the "Forbidden" Games (Forbidden Island, Desert, or Sky), a variety of adventure-style games like Gloomhaven, Descent 2nd ed (although this might be difficult to find expansions for at the moment), and Imperial Assault, Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, The Captain is Dead, Space Alert, The Grizzled, Mysterium, Legends of Andor, Flashpoint: Fire Rescue, and... I'm tired and can't think of much else off the top of my head.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you want to try Gloomhaven without going all-in, Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion is half the price and in-stock at Target right now! It has almost all of the core mechanics of Gloomhaven, but with a fixed party of 4, a gentler tutorial over several scenarios, and (I think) no legacy card modification?

You might also like Aeon's End in one of it's many forms. It's a coop deckbuilder in which your party of mages tries to take down large invading enemies (the "Nameless"). I recently played through Aeon's End Legacy and thought it was a pretty good introduction to the system, with a gentle ramp-up in rules over several games. Despite the standard trappings of a fixed-market deck-builder it has some unique elements that set it apart, like player decks that are never shuffled (allowing you to plan and manipulate you hands) and a delayed-cast spell mechanic.

The original game (Aeon's End 2nd edition) or the first standalone expansion (Aeon's End: War Eternal are also good places to start, though they lack the narrative arc and campaign of Legacy (the narrative is a bit thin there too, though). Unfortunately both our out of stock until August or so when the reprints from the latest kickstarter hit.

The third standalone expansion (Aeon's End: The New Age) is good, but I wouldn't start there. It introduces a new "expedition" mode where you fight progressive games against a series of four Nameless, with an opportunity to tweak the market and upgrade starter cards or change mages in between battles. It technically works by itself, but without the core set and other expansions you'll be fighting the same four Nameless every expedition.

E: If you like more abstract games, there's also The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine. It's a cooperative limited-communication trick-taking game with a bit of a Hanabi flavor, but it's best with four players.

EE: There's also Eldritch Horror and Mansions of Madness 2e in the Arkham Horror universe. The former is a globetrotting race to stop an Old One from entering our plane, and the latter is a more focused app-driven adventure.

EEE: If you know anybody with an X-Wing Miniatures collection, there's a fantastic fan-made coop campaign for it: Heroes of the Aturi Cluster. X-Wing nails the feel of pushing around little spaceships in a dogfight, and HotAC turns it into an epic campaign.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 23, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

John Dyne posted:

Legendary Encounters: Alien might be a good fit for you. It's Legendary but better, so you're already familiar with it, but it has both direct cooperation and an optional Traitor mode.

The City of Kings is Mage Knight meets Arkham Horror but less complex than either. There's an element of "buy stuff for number", but your numbers also go up through leveling RPG-style.

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013
Would also recommend Dead of Winter which can be played both semi-cooperatively and straight co-op. I've also heard good things about Mysterium.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

John Dyne posted:

We have played it and I asked her, and she IS a fan of it. We haven't bought it because another friend owns the normal version, but buying a different version might be a good idea.

Pandemic: Iberia is also a choice. It's not legacy, and involves many different mechanics, but is commonly considered an improvement on the original. Also, for extra goony value, it involves trains (or at least, train tracks).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Freakie posted:

Would also recommend Dead of Winter which can be played both semi-cooperatively and straight co-op. I've also heard good things about Mysterium.

I would caution against DoW, personally, but yeah Mysterium is solid, as is Hanabi for "can't talk coop".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Re: Hanabi - I prefer the similarly named Narabi. You're trying to arrange nine or ten numbered cards and some unnumbered cards into numerical sequence by exchanging two cards, and to do it in as few moves as possible. The trick is that each card is double sleeved with a randomly selected rule card. You can only exchange cards that meet both rules - examples are "can only be exchanged for an even number" and "cannot be exchanged on your own turn" - only the player who currently has a card is allowed to see the rule for exchanging it, and the only question you can ask is if two cards can be swapped. It's very ingenious and can be quite tough.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Man we played Eminent Domain last night for the first time in a couple of years and it just reminded me how much i like the game. I've got all the expansions for it too, and there's a lot of options with all of them in the game. My group and a couple of extended friends are doing a gen con retreat to a cabin next week to just game/drink for several days straight next week and im definitely packing it

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
For coop, I'll also recommend:
-Aeon's End
-Legends of Andor
-Robinson Crusoe
-Gloomhaven: Paws of the Lion
-Quirky Circuits or The Crew for lighter fare

I feel like having to go from Spirit Island to Pandemic would be a massive disappointment for me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Llyranor posted:

-Gloomhaven: Paws of the Lion
:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

silvergoose posted:

I would caution against DoW, personally

How come? I'm a bit biased as it's one of my favorite games, but I think it works well as a co-op game.