Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Twibbit posted:

Noita is almost all cpu based. Wonder if a port studio would be able to gpu accelerate some parts of the sim to make up for that

I don't think that'd work too well - (afaik) GPUs are optimized for high volume low complexity very similar operations, whereas multifaceted simulations like noita's are more optimally performed by a CPU's more advanced logical suite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
(Apologies if you're already familiar with this) generally the difficulties with GPU-based computation are a) getting data off of the GPU is expensive, and b) translating the data into a form the GPU can make effective use of is tricky. But Noita does have one big advantage: basically all of the effects they need to worry about are hyperlocal. In other words, a given pixel's state depends on the state of adjacent pixels, and (I think) nothing else. What that means is that in principle if you could get the data into a form the GPU can handle, then it could simulate thousands of pixels in parallel. And it's not too hard to imagine the GPU consuming, say, a texture that represents the world state using different colors for different kinds of solids/liquids/powders/gases. Then it outputs that texture to a second texture, which can be retrieved by the main game logic and also fed back into itself to simulate the next frame. So I don't think the concept is fundamentally flawed.

The big gotcha that immediately comes to mind (and no doubt there's plenty of smaller gotchas as well) is conservation, i.e. not creating or destroying pixels. For example, say you have a 1-pixel-wide column of sand. Each pixel in the column could fall to the left or the right. Depending on how you write your sim, you might find that a given pixel might do both, replicating itself -- or do neither, and poof out of existence! I've no doubt the Noita devs had to wrestle with a lot of such bugs during development, and they'd have to start over, in a much more constrained environment, if they wanted it to run on a GPU.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

(Apologies if you're already familiar with this) generally the difficulties with GPU-based computation are a) getting data off of the GPU is expensive, and b) translating the data into a form the GPU can make effective use of is tricky. But Noita does have one big advantage: basically all of the effects they need to worry about are hyperlocal. In other words, a given pixel's state depends on the state of adjacent pixels, and (I think) nothing else. What that means is that in principle if you could get the data into a form the GPU can handle, then it could simulate thousands of pixels in parallel. And it's not too hard to imagine the GPU consuming, say, a texture that represents the world state using different colors for different kinds of solids/liquids/powders/gases. Then it outputs that texture to a second texture, which can be retrieved by the main game logic and also fed back into itself to simulate the next frame. So I don't think the concept is fundamentally flawed.

The big gotcha that immediately comes to mind (and no doubt there's plenty of smaller gotchas as well) is conservation, i.e. not creating or destroying pixels. For example, say you have a 1-pixel-wide column of sand. Each pixel in the column could fall to the left or the right. Depending on how you write your sim, you might find that a given pixel might do both, replicating itself -- or do neither, and poof out of existence! I've no doubt the Noita devs had to wrestle with a lot of such bugs during development, and they'd have to start over, in a much more constrained environment, if they wanted it to run on a GPU.

There is a rudimentary "falling sand" game that is 100% implemented in a shader (which, ironically, I can't find because Noita results are clogging up google), so putting the entire sim on the GPU is possible in technical terms, but it's super-hard in practical terms due to the enormity of the world. Noita also loses out on hyperlocality optimizations because of the large scale rigid body physics; they can't guarantee that interaction won't come from non-adjacent "pixels". This is mitigated by a grid-based threading system to cull / batch the interactions between grid units, but the whole world sim is being processed every frame so you'd have to have a huge amount of VRAM to contain the whole world in your texture (even though the physics sim isn't calculating it).

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
It already uses some LoD for the physics where certain simulations (like fluid dynamics) stop outside of a certain radius (usually outside of the visible screen area, unless you use mods), so that wouldn't be something new.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the basic engine core might be highly optimized cpu c++ code, but a lot of the physics rules and mechanics are actually defined in gigantic lua scripts. So trying to get that stuff running on a CUDA kernel format would probably mean a complete rewrite (and also loss of mod-ability).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Man, I forgot about the rigidbodies. That's a good point, yeah.

And to be clear, I wasn't trying to say it'd be easy. It'd be a ton of work no matter what.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Am I wasting my time trying to use a gamepad with this? The movement is easier for me to handle - as is usual for platformers - but aiming my spells is a load of old rear end compared to having a mouse.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Probably? I think I'm up to 450 deaths here using controller exclusively, but I struggled to get past early levels. Speaking of I should play a round.

e: initial trip report - omg im fast

vorebane fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 22, 2020

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Check out LetsSufferTogether on youtube/twitch for a dude who plays with controller and is pretty consistent at getting wins, does speedruns and has completed a 31 orb boss kill. It seems doable and he's pretty accurate at kicking stuff too.

I've been having a lot of fun with the alchemy mods - I've got extra alchemy, random alchemy and the materials randomizer so every game is a different crazy mess. One game I'd get a kill, the gold would dissolve in the acid which the guys had instead of blood, and a poison cloud would poof out. But the midas formula kept naturally forming so getting gold was still possible. Another game I found a pool of naturally occuring lively concoction so I drank both the potions I had so I could scoop it up. But this caused some side effects...

https://i.imgur.com/4eOGYbH.mp4

I've been granted unpredictable explosive farts, one of which knocked me into the lava (but thanks to randomized materials it's only worm attractant). The gas that comes out with each fart seems to cause berserk too. I thought this game had promise but one of my farts damaged the first Holy Mountain and even with berserk I couldn't handle Steve, he buried me in purple ash and I drowned.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Stoca Zola posted:

I thought this game had promise but one of my farts damaged the first Holy Mountain and even with berserk I couldn't handle Steve, he buried me in purple ash and I drowned.

a truly incredible sentence

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Lesson learned today: do not headbutt the moon

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've turned into a total addict to this game, though it took a while to get over the initial difficulty/overwhelm hump

This weird thing showed up in my first New Game this morning, right at the start :psyduck: guess now I get to see what's under the lava lake! seed is 40974936

(e) lol i'm a liar, that's a lot of goddamn lava :psypop: maybe i can make it back from snowland with something more apropos. and a way to make it through the lake of blood left over...

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 29, 2020

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
https://i.imgur.com/QLMiY7q.mp4

:confused:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Those ghosts are completely passive but if you hit them they shoot a laser at you. Machine gun = quick suicide

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Ah ok, I had never seen those things before. I think I still had over 100 hp but a split second after I started shooting them they turned me into a red stain. Almost thought I just flew too hard into that crevice and got physics'd.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Don’t know if it’s still an issue but I’ve had games where I’m so overpowered that shooting those ghosts guarantees a crash to desktop

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I saw this suggested on Steam some time ago, added it to my wishlist, and haven't thought much about it since. Then I randomly saw this thread linked elsewhere and you guys easily convinced me to try it. loving amazing. I just wish I had more time to play with it.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
So I just put in a new cpu and a bunch of ram and welp, apparently I've been playing this in slow motion :magical:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

So I just put in a new cpu and a bunch of ram and welp, apparently I've been playing this in slow motion :magical:

Yeah, after 160 hours played I finally tried the game on a proper cpu. I had to install cheatGUI and turn on a couple faster movement perks with my lenovo laptop now just to keep up the pace. I still experience slowdowns but at least I feel in control of my character with this poo poo computer.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Note to self: lightning collides with those little dangling chains

https://i.imgur.com/39eKdfS.mp4

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Bizarre momentary rain cloud for no reason. Not a spell on any of my wands.

Just before I had shot a chaotic transmutation that made that worm blood. Before that I had cast the summon wand, but it wasn't on any of the animated wand's spells either, and the wand was dead.

Bonus:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
god drat it
https://i.imgur.com/Y6dN1jZ.mp4

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The robot shot a light, it fell into the blood pool, it created a single electric pulse before shattering, and that pulse killed you? drat.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Every time I see new posts in this thread they're wonderful, and then I need to launch Noita again

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

My Steam review of Noita starts and ends as follows:

quote:

I grew spider legs and crawled along the ceiling shooting especially-explosive fireworks at my enemies, because the boomerang sawblades were too likely to kill me. I expect the fireworks will kill me anyway.
(...)

EDIT: Fireworks extremely killed me.
Describing this game is a trip.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
In Today I Learned, Noita Edition: New Game Plus + More Hatred perk = Hiisi Civil War.

Throw in More Blood for extra :stare: My god, the entire Hiisi Base is a blood lake and they still keep coming

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Doesn't NG+ give everything ludicrously huge amounts of health? Which in turn means that they're full of blood (or slime, or acid, or bone dust, as appropriate). I could well believe that Breathless and Dissolve Powders would be necessary perks after you take More Hatred.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Just wait until you get to New Game Plus Plus Plus (etc.)

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

CodfishCartographer posted:

Every time I see new posts in this thread they're wonderful, and then I need to launch Noita again

Same. One day I'll get to level five.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah I really gotta boot this back up. I haven't played since the first like, 2nd or 3rd BIG update so I probably have no fuckin clue what to do with spells in this game, now! :toot:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

"Useless Perks" mod on the steam workshop is really great.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Coming out of Early Access on October 15th.

1.0 will include "new enemies, perks, music, and over 20 spells, as well as a wide range of general game improvements and bug fixes, along with other surprises, and perhaps a new game mode."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYRWb9n9iM

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Sneak peek of the upcoming spells:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
"perhaps a new gamemode" ? so.... 100 noitas land on an island and then....

Hempuli posted:

Sneak peek of the upcoming spells:

Now we're hitting that 2020 mood :toot:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

RoadCrewWorker posted:

"perhaps a new gamemode" ? so.... 100 noitas land on an island and then....

Last Witch Standing: you and 12 AI witches all spawn into an empty arena with no equipment. Periodically things will spawn in: enemies, big blobs of dust or liquid, crates/barrels, miscellaneous level fixtures (like the mining equipment in the coal mines), potions, hearts, spells, wands, and perks. The goal is to be the last witch still alive.

(to be clear, I just made that up)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

some sort of arena mode to fight off enemies would be amazing

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Last Witch Standing: you and 12 AI witches all spawn into an empty arena with no equipment. Periodically things will spawn in: enemies, big blobs of dust or liquid, crates/barrels, miscellaneous level fixtures (like the mining equipment in the coal mines), potions, hearts, spells, wands, and perks. The goal is to be the last witch still alive.

Impossible but glorious.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

It's this but everyone spawns into a separate, empty arena. The goal remains the same.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Log082 posted:

It's this but everyone spawns into a separate, empty arena. The goal remains the same.
Can you resist cobbling together a wand that can break into another person's arena and inadvertently blow yourself up in the process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

not gonna lie, i'd play any of these multiplayer ideas