Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Barudak posted:

Neo-Doom, Revisionist Doom, and the italian takes on the genre Spaghetti Doom

Doomsploitation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

al-azad posted:

It's also not technologically feasible to load an entire map at once with 100 active actors that are constantly listening for the player and that was a major factor in the design of 2.5d shooters. Even Dusk has to cheat by creating enemies during runtime.

Uh excuse me sir, but Serious Sam 4’s TEN TRILLION ENEMIES beg to differ. I hear there’s an entire level...that’s just dead bodies of enemies.

Zeether posted:

Blood took a while to click for me but when I found out how loving lethal dynamite is when you toss it right and the game shits ammo for it all over the place I was killing cultists left and right. Still had to save scum for moments like the doors that kill you if you pick the wrong one (which is still loving hilarious, I love when you screw up and Caleb's like "oop, wrong door" before being blown to bits)

Did they ever fix Fresh Supply completely? I was gonna get it but heard about all the bugs day 1.

For whatever it’s worth, I played Fresh Supply not long after it came out and had no issues with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Doomsploitation

Sweet Slayers Badasssss Song

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They Call Me MISTER Gibs!

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 23, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mordja posted:

Doom Eternal>Doom 2016 and it's not even close.

One of the greatest FPS games of all time.

Good god no.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im Gonna Gib You Sucka

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lair of the Super Fly

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Uh excuse me sir, but Serious Sam 4’s TEN TRILLION ENEMIES beg to differ. I hear there’s an entire level...that’s just dead bodies of enemies.

For whatever it’s worth, I played Fresh Supply not long after it came out and had no issues with it.

The only things I noticed in vanilla maps was that crushers didn’t reliably kill me. As complaints go, especially in Blood, it’s closer to a relief. I just wish they’d made an official Linux port; running it through Steam Play with Vulkan seemed to involve the first few minutes of any session chugging to compile shaders, then straightening out and performing fine.

I liked Eternal - enough to beat it three times. And I was excited enough for the game to grab the art book before release, because I adored Doom 2016. But after getting through Ultra-Violence, I think I’m done. It’s such a specifically engineered experience and punishes you so hard for going off-script that I find revisiting it to be sorta dull, now. I paid for the special edition pre-order so I’ll play the DLC. But I’m not thrumming with glee at the prospect.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dynamite Wong and TNT Evilution

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Civvy mentioned in the most recent Doom movie review that at one point, id had wanted Doom to be an Aliens (movie franchise) game. Here's my question: if it was basically the same game design but palette swapped with Aliens, do you all think it would have endured in the same way?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

comingafteryouall posted:

Civvy mentioned in the most recent Doom movie review that at one point, id had wanted Doom to be an Aliens (movie franchise) game. Here's my question: if it was basically the same game design but palette swapped with Aliens, do you all think it would have endured in the same way?

I doubt it. Fox probably would have been less permissive regarding level editing anything involving its IP, and I can’t help thinking it would have been a less diverse experience in terms of monster encounters, in-fighting, and general level design. I could be full of poo poo on any of that, but think it’s probably better that id had full control.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The aliens TC didn't even get a sequel so maybe not so much

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

For one, "the same game design" is a big if, here. Second, having total control over your creative IP almost always works out better than being a licensee and having to deal with a licensor who probably doesn't share the same vision for the project.

But, sure, if DOOM had been released as literally the Aliens TC it probably would have the same long-term legacy regarding how it spawned the modding community. It's really hard to image that, that would've been the result though as opposed to something like the Jaguar's Alien vs Predator.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Given that “Foxed” literally became the term for a big company smashing a fan mod after they stomped the Aliens Quake TC, I doubt there would have been any modding support at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Right, I doubt id would've released their tools if all the assets were tied to a licensed property which means no Hexen, no Doom Builder, and Aliens: Doom would no doubt be remembered as a cult classic dead end with a scattered sequel or two like AvP 2000.

Another hypothetical: what if id got bought out by Nintendo to port their games to PC?

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Alien Trilogy is probably the result you'd get. It's okay, but it's like doom if 90% of the enemy types were pinkies, and they're never really deployed in any numbers to function as a threat once you get past ammo scarcity. Human/synthetic enemies are also pretty bad, all their attacks are projectile based (good!) but for some reason they all seem to only do 1pt of damage each (...bad).

It's not a bad game per se, it's just not one I'd recommend playing past the first "episode" (ie, all the levels based on aliens) because the difficulty curve falls off a cliff after that. It has an authentic look and a pretty good soundtrack at least.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I also wouldn't mind seeing Tom Hall's Doom which I imagine would just be System Shock with more demonic imagery.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Speaking of, is Amid Evil solid? I don't really dig fantasy-esque titles (found Heretic's levels to be way too mazelike and the weapons lacking in punch) but it does look like a good time

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Definitely agree with the consensus about an aliens style Doom not having the same impact. Hadn't thought about the inability to mod established IPs, which put the nail in the coffin for my thinking. I think there's also a potential variety with demonic enemies that is hard to achieve with established IP too. Hard to get excited for the fourth kind of palette swapped alien shooting venom at you.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Wasn’t Aliens Online from Mythic basically a Doom clone for AOL’s game platform back in the day? I had EarthLink in the early internet days and only played Quakeworld mods (Team Fortress and Future vs Fantasy mainly) so I may be misremembering.

https://youtu.be/JW4c2BPqP20

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Speaking of, is Amid Evil solid? I don't really dig fantasy-esque titles (found Heretic's levels to be way too mazelike and the weapons lacking in punch) but it does look like a good time

It’s okay. I didn’t like it much on first playthroughs as it released, but I recently gave the whole thing another shot and I enjoyed it more, especially the last two episodes. It’s not really like Heretic apart from the guns not being actual guns. It’s got some fairly pretty maps, a banging soundtrack, and surprisingly decent (though simple) boss fights, but most of the enemies aren’t memorable and battles tend to involve a lot of backpedaling because there are so many aggressive melee dudes out there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Narcissus1916 posted:

Tbh I think the first few episodes are kinda boring. Every ep only has like 4 enemies and they're all just reskins for the episode theme and not like "new" enemies so the combat gets kinda same-y and the level design is eh. iirc it's not till like ep 4 or 5 where the level design gets good, and by the end it's really good, and that kept me playing more than the actual combat

site fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 23, 2020

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Narcissus1916 posted:

I really liked it. I will agree with others in that the first episode or two can be pretty meh - but it really picks up after that. I guess that's what happens when you're actively finishing a game like this and releasing it episode by episode.

DUSK EP1 vs EP2 & EP3 is also like this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Does Quake get notably better after E1 too? I'm debating buying Dusk but I'm like I should play Quake first - oh yeah, but I keep kinda just bouncing off Quake and never finish it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arivia posted:

Does Quake get notably better after E1 too? I'm debating buying Dusk but I'm like I should play Quake first - oh yeah, but I keep kinda just bouncing off Quake and never finish it.

I think all the episodes have about an even amount of standout levels, but they never get really adventurous by the standards of later 3D shooters. They do get challenging though. Episode 4 has some particularly sadistic stuff. On the other hand, harder means more rockets and Quake is all about rockets.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Arivia posted:

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan but remember enjoying E2 and E3 more. I really like the lava/metal look of Mcgee's E3

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Narcissus1916 posted:

I like it! At first I thought the first level was slow even on the hardest difficulty, but as it turns out there's a hidden fourth difficulty option that you can find in the difficulty selection hub. I restarted on that and it was a blast.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

site posted:

Tbh I think the first few episodes are kinda boring. Every ep only has like 4 enemies and they're all just reskins for the episode theme and not like "new" enemies so the combat gets kinda same-y and the level design is eh. iirc it's not till like ep 4 or 5 where the level design gets good, and by the end it's really good, and that kept me playing more than the actual combat

I mean the first few episodes are pretty boring but the enemies aren't really just reskins. Unless you were being hyperbolic or something.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

There are some enemies who are pretty much just reskins -- episode 1 and 4 deliberately have nearly-identical enemy sets. but more important than that, enemy types are frequently reused. every episode except 6 has at least one fast, aggressive melee guy who gets up in your face, every episode has a fat flying guy who shoots projectiles, episodes 5 and 7 both have a dude whose attacks yoink you across the map to wherever he is, etc. It makes the game feel more homogeneous than it needs to.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

skasion posted:

There are some enemies who are pretty much just reskins -- episode 1 and 4 deliberately have nearly-identical enemy sets. but more important than that, enemy types are frequently reused. every episode except 6 has at least one fast, aggressive melee guy who gets up in your face, every episode has a fat flying guy who shoots projectiles, episodes 5 and 7 both have a dude whose attacks yoink you across the map to wherever he is, etc. It makes the game feel more homogeneous than it needs to.

Yeah I don't disagree with the homogeneity of certain aspects of the game, which I feel is a problem that's bigger than AMID EVIL's enemies. I guess I'm just reacting to the "they're all just reskins" comment which doesn't seem like a fair or accurate claim to make. I think it's inevitable when a "classic FPS"-type game has 45 enemy types that there are going to be redundancies, but I guess I appreciated the subtle differences in many of them.

Like, Episodes 1 and 4 are by far the most similar (deliberately so, as you said). Usually E1's Lunar Deacon (the blue ranged guy) and E4's Solegionaires (the red ranged guy) are seen as 1:1 swaps of each other. But whereas the Lunar Deacon's this straightforward enemy with an attack that can be parried with the Whisper's Edge, the Solegionaire is this slower, more methodical enemy that uses a shield to reflect attacks and render itself invulnerable from certain angles, and its ranged attack is slower but causes DOT to whatever it lands on. The fill the same roles, but they're different enemies.

Or E5's Overseer with E7's Bones of Evil: They're both enemies that can pull you to them, but the Overseer is more like a turret: Easy to spot, largely stationary, and used less to damage you directly than to drag you into things that will hurt you; the Bones of Evil, on the other hand, are these vicious mobile enemies that can completely disorient you with their displacement projectile attack, and can completely wreck you in close combat. On their face, "enemy that pulls you to them" describes both of them, but I feel like it's doing the game a disservice to call them "reskins".

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 24, 2020

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i dunno how amid evil having slight similarities between certain enemy archetypes is really a bad thing given that they went out of their way to have different enemies for each chapter exclusively

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They don't feel much different, like cream just laid out a bunch of paragraphs and I didn't notice any of it because it all seemed like the same 4 or 5 guys when I was playing, and it ended up feeling like the doom 1 problem to me

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I just think it was probably too ambitious for such a small studio to come up with seven mutually exclusive enemy sets and have them all be hits. There are some really fun encounters in the game but a lot of them feel samey.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I also wonder if AMID EVIL played somewhat differently depending on the difficulty. Like, at lower difficulties, you might be chewing through enemies fairly quickly, and it doesn't allow individual characteristics to show through as easily because poo poo is dying super quick. I only say that because I felt as if the game was juuuuuust challenging enough on "EVIL" difficulty, which makes me wonder if the lower difficulties could be completed with a sleepwalk.

For example, some enemies have weaknesses to certain weapons (like the Azure Orb staff being extra powerful on flame enemies, or preventing Sentinel Knights from spawning a scrounge when they die; conversely, explosives on the creepers in episode 3 will turn them into more powerful flame spirits, etc.)...but I bet a lot of that doesn't even register on Normal difficulty because you can just sort of blast through everything the same way.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 24, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Wasn’t Aliens Online from Mythic basically a Doom clone for AOL’s game platform back in the day? I had EarthLink in the early internet days and only played Quakeworld mods (Team Fortress and Future vs Fantasy mainly) so I may be misremembering.

https://youtu.be/JW4c2BPqP20

It blows my mind that this game came out in 1998. It looks a like a bad BUILD engine clone with the clunky movement and HUD of an early 90s title. AvP '99 was released 13 months later!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
whatever the AvP where you could play as aliens the predator or the marines was the poo poo

so much time spent scrambling on walls n poo poo in all the cool different vision modes

also the predators ammo count being in the predator language was cool as hell but confusing as poo poo

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

It was definitely a very cool asymmetric multiplayer game, that’s for sure. Having LAN parties in the early 2000’s with one person playing a predator and 3 or 4 people playing marines could be hilariously tense.

I don’t remember us doing the “see how long you can withstand an endless wave of aliens” game type but now I kind of wish I had.

Also I think I’ve brought it up before but wasn’t it one of the AVP games that advertised a free pair of BIG DOG UNDIES because you were totally gonna crap your pants in utter terror?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

i liked dusk more but its still very good. if you like the aesthetic its definitely worth it

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It was definitely a very cool asymmetric multiplayer game, that’s for sure. Having LAN parties in the early 2000’s with one person playing a predator and 3 or 4 people playing marines could be hilariously tense.

I don’t remember us doing the “see how long you can withstand an endless wave of aliens” game type but now I kind of wish I had.

Also I think I’ve brought it up before but wasn’t it one of the AVP games that advertised a free pair of BIG DOG UNDIES because you were totally gonna crap your pants in utter terror?

The first AvP had that marketing campaign, yes.

Sounds like something Acclaim would do, instead of Fox Interactive, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I remember thinking that I wanted a Jaguar for the AvP game on there, just for the multiplayer.

I'm so glad I did not, in fact, get a Jaguar.