Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

AFewBricksShy posted:

The best way to learn to sneeze quietly is to break some ribs. Sneezing is terrifying with freshly broken ribs.

I don’t think I broke, but I either cracked or bruised my ribs badly. They healed up finally, then a sneeze undid it and went back to constant pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s like “manspreading.” It’s kinda silly as a concept but also I’ve never seen two women somehow take up six seats on the bus.

You haven't seen someone take up seats with their bags or by sitting sideways across seats then.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OwlFancier posted:

Try being a loud hiccupper.

Especially when you get them randomly. Just walking along and suddenly you go HUURK at the top of your voice like you just had a heart attack.

Oh thank God.

It's even worse when they cause you to belch afterwards.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I sing the entirety of Nickleback's "Look at this Photograph" when I sneeze. It's quite annoying, honestly.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Sneezing is your nose having an orgasm and it is a delightful feeling.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

blowing your nose isn't quite as much of a full-body experience as a sneeze, but i can assure you it is much more effective

lol sneezing is broken, "something's buggin' my nose, better send a whole bunch of air down the other pipe"

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Check out this hot legal take:

I'm having fun imagining a world in which people are obligated to complete transactions with bank notes in any condition and have no legal recourse if the notes themselves are, say, contaminated with radioactive waste or previously used to retrieve dog poop.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well now I'm just picturing the Monopoly Man out walking his twin Salukis or whatever and picking up their poop with $100 bills

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm pretty sure that's not how the concept of legal tender works, it's for debts, if you walk into a store and pick up a bunch of stuff you aren't then indebted to the store the minute it goes into your basket. The store can quite easily tell you to gently caress off and put the stuff back, no transaction has taken place and they aren't obligated to perform one because you have money any more than you're obligated to sell someone your shoes if they walk up to you and wave a tenner at you.

If you borrow money from someone and offer to pay them back in legal bills the other person can't sue you for failing to repay. That's what the phrase means.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Jul 23, 2020

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Beartaco posted:

Yeah men who feel the need scream their lungs out when they sneeze are both real and loving obnoxious.

e: and it's always men

I always thought this, too - but now the only person I know who sneezes like that is an older lady.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

All this anti-Dragonborn rhetoric...

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

TotalLossBrain posted:

I always thought this, too - but now the only person I know who sneezes like that is an older lady.

There's a woman with a flute-sounding sneeze that lives three or four houses away from me.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
men be loud sneezin, women be shoppin and leavin their bags on bus seats, I think we're done here

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

mng posted:

Sneezing is your nose having an orgasm and it is a delightful feeling.

There's a reason it's called the "tiny dick" in French.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I am a woman and I vocalize when I sneeze to the extent that I once got an anonymous note at work telling me not to sneeze so loudly. :( I don't do it on purpose, honestly.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
lmao can i submit all the "you say men systematically do a bad thing? w-w-well women also do bad things and you're the real hater!!" people itt as social media idiots

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
tbf to the whole no cash thing, underbanking is a thing and a lot of under privliage people dont have bank accounts.

iirc NYC had to pass a law banning some places for trying to go credit / debit only.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Will no one rid us of these troublesome sytemically loud-sneezing cis men?

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
On an episode of Community, Chevy Chase's character tries to teach another (Troy maybe) how to loudly sneeze in order to assert dominance in social situations. I remember watching it and thinking "Yeah I could totally buy that some dudes do this intentionally, hell I probably know a few."

So yeah I'd believe that a lot of people definitely CAN sneeze more softly. But I also sneeze super loud most of the time because typically when I try not to it feels like my sinuses and/or brain will explode.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

tbf to the whole no cash thing, underbanking is a thing and a lot of under privliage people dont have bank accounts.

iirc NYC had to pass a law banning some places for trying to go credit / debit only.

According to the snopes article about that post, there are states and jurisdictions that require businesses accept cash. San Francisco is one of them. Mississippi is not. This guy in a later, less widely shared post backpedaled from "this has the force of law" to "pretty please". It sucks either way because the people on both sides of the counter in poor communities are at a higher risk of covid, at least judging by the per capita infection maps that light up in the Black Belt and the Navajo nation. Not that it matters to Mississippi senator Chad McMahan who I'm sure is posturing for partisanship points.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The US has more belts than a 90's comic book character.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My hot take is that if you have a quiet sneeze and can make yourself do it more loudly on purpose, you might be prompted to assume everyone who sneezes loudly is therefore doing it on purpose.
But maybe you don't know their body and should just mind your business instead of assuming they operate on the same biology you do. I thought that was how we try to do things these days but I guess we draw the line at people who sneeze loudly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not how the concept of legal tender works, it's for debts, if you walk into a store and pick up a bunch of stuff you aren't then indebted to the store the minute it goes into your basket. The store can quite easily tell you to gently caress off and put the stuff back, no transaction has taken place and they aren't obligated to perform one because you have money any more than you're obligated to sell someone your shoes if they walk up to you and wave a tenner at you.
Stuff like food at a restaurant or petrol at a service station are different though, because you've already received the product and can't return it. Obviously laws are different in different times and places but the concept could easily apply to such transactions since it would generally be extremely odd for a person to go to pay for a meal only to be told "sorry, we don't take cash". What happens if that person only has cash? They can't really be accused of trying to get away without paying, but if the restaurant won't take the money then they're at an impasse.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I have moderate to slightly loud sneezes and that’s just how it is for me. I can’t do anything about it. Frankly I enjoy sneezing even less than you enjoy hearing it.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
I sneeze sometimes. Usually after breakfast.

Edit: oops, thought this was a different thread. please ignore.

Buckets has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Jul 23, 2020

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I sneeze when I am very hungry and also when I am looking at bright lights.
There are also a couple pressure spots on my forehead that will reliably produce a sneeze.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If society says we need to get rid of Dad Sneezes then I guess just cast me out into the wilderness.

Tiggum posted:

Stuff like food at a restaurant or petrol at a service station are different though, because you've already received the product and can't return it.

Not with that attitude.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TotalLossBrain posted:

I sneeze when I am very hungry and also when I am looking at bright lights.
There are also a couple pressure spots on my forehead that will reliably produce a sneeze.

I also get the bright light sneezes

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My sneezes used to be fairly normal, not particularly loud I think, until I broke my ribs. Ever since I can't sneeze normally anyway and I kinda try to keep it in or something, to minimize the movement and pain I used to experience sneezing.

Over the last year or so I've also started getting sneezing fits after a hot shower. Like half an hour later I'll be sneezing pretty regularly for an hour or two. Kinda sucks these days because I can't get groceries and stuff until it clears up.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I'm so tired of sneezing every day
when the weekend comes I wanna throw my tissues away
If you've got a loud one mister, we're gonna fight
Don't want to see bright lights...gesundheit

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i've been told that i sneeze like a old man

this was very distressing to hear as a high school girl

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/Seska_XIV/status/1286363355452776448?s=20

Spent my entire life thinking I'm a cis dude, but I've also known how to make quesadillas since I was a kid, should I be worried about the results if I got my chromosomes tested?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/Seska_XIV/status/1286363355452776448?s=20

Spent my entire life thinking I'm a cis dude, but I've also known how to make quesadillas since I was a kid, should I be worried about the results if I got my chromosomes tested?

Get the quesadilla's chromosomes tested. :pseudo:

Gail is, by the way, a pro follow for content for both this and the good tweet thread.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/SortaBad/status/1286380989531303938

Ben Garrison feels kinda like cheating.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I bet he does.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
If I remember right, she asked because she was feigning liking it, and it turned out it was a hummus quesadilla.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Filthy Haiku posted:

If I remember right, she asked because she was feigning liking it, and it turned out it was a hummus quesadilla.

That's not a quesadilla. Unless it had both hummus and cheese, in which case she's a monster

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Stack Machine posted:

According to the snopes article about that post, there are states and jurisdictions that require businesses accept cash. San Francisco is one of them. Mississippi is not. This guy in a later, less widely shared post backpedaled from "this has the force of law" to "pretty please". It sucks either way because the people on both sides of the counter in poor communities are at a higher risk of covid, at least judging by the per capita infection maps that light up in the Black Belt and the Navajo nation. Not that it matters to Mississippi senator Chad McMahan who I'm sure is posturing for partisanship points.

he's also using the specific example of trying to break a large bill at a gas station which is dicey because the store could have some minimum cash policy and not be able to return fifty+ bucks in cash

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm 100% in favour of keeping cash spendable everywhere until there's a way we can guarantee people have access to debit cards, but yeah huge bills are iffy. When I was delivering earlier this years somebody tried to pay me with a hundred, out alone after dark, for an order of less than 20 bucks. I refused that poo poo. Couldn't break it and it gave me bad vibes, like I'd whip out 80+ bucks of change and they'd just mug me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1286373821524709378