Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

this is what a 2000FP looks like. 20".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
sure, and a 2001fp has smaller bezels and a telescoping/rotating stand. same panel tho i think

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Turnquiet posted:

:unsmith: i remember spending like $549 on this in 2005, and it staying with me through 2015, with it being my main display up through 2013. that screen went the distance
hell yea, i got mine in 2005 too for about the same price, and it also lasted me through 2015, it only died because i put it in my trunk to move and didnt really cushion it and something broke. that monitor never failed me, ultimately i failed it

infernal machines posted:

i have a 2407wfp hc that i still use on my workbench, it's a solid monitor, and it has component input, which is still handy
got one of those at a recycling meet. hooked it up to a 2017 retina imac with a broken screen i bought for a couple hundo. bam, pro rear end WFH setup for my dad.

i picked up an hp l2335 there too. was $1800 in 2004 lol. backlight bleed galore, but actually not too bad at all in other respects. i love these cathode-lit 16:10 monitors, people are literally throwing them out and theyre still great 15 years later.

i wish there was some way to get this stuff en masse and set up battlestations for financially strapped college students who are doing everything from home rn. having two huge screens in college/grad school made work way easier, i cant imagine having to also take 100% of my classes on some 2012 macbook air with a cracked screen and dead battery (said gf is doing her phd on literally this.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 23, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
16:10 is the only acceptable ratio.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Schadenboner posted:

16:10 is the only acceptable ratio.

those extra three lines of text are VERY IMPORTANT

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

quote:

Dear A Wheezy Steampunk,
When your mother sees your posts she is sad and says she wants to die so please stop.
Love, your dad

:shrug:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

quote:

for sale
your poasts
very bad

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

"well it may be a tn panel, and it doesn't get very bright, but at least it's 16:10"

-the priorities of posters in this thread

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

it doesn't get very bright

P.sneaky of your to interlace your posts with the teacher's comments from your kindergarten report card!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

"i will die on this hill defending my tiny overpriced tv"

- 16:9 "monitor" users

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sweevo posted:

i pick a monitor based on more important factors, if those factors lead me to a 16:10 monitor, i'd get one, if they don't, then i'd get 16:9

it seems bananas to me to put 16:10 at the top of your priority list excluding so many other useful factors

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
both 16:9 and 16:10 are SAD and FAILING in comparison to the incredible new aspect ratio of 21:9.

it's the first time you will ever have a proper layout to genuinely do more than one thing at a time, without an ugly seam between two screens, and as a neat bonus it's the same ratio as anamorphic cinema widescreen so all your art movies fit it perfectly.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
21x9 is the failson of 16x9

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

once you hit 1440p it's no long a big deal. but 1920x1200 vs 1920x1080? you bet your rear end i want the 16:10 display.

i tell you hwat's really sexy, those big honkin 38" ultrawides that run at 3840x1600. LG has this beast: IPS, 144hz, Gsync https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38GL950G-B-gaming-monitor but apparently it has a loving cooling fan for the gsync module :barf:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Shaggar posted:

21x9 is the failson of 16x9

spoken like a 16:10 dummy. i bet you held onto your 5:4 1280x1024 panels until like 2012 too lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i went to 16x10 in like 2008 and i cant imagine downgrading to a poverty ratio like 16x9 or bastardized crap like 21x9

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i believe the microsoft surface and the google pixelbook have demonstrated the 3:2 is the way forward

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on laptops yeah, on the desktop it literally does not matter if you can trivially get a monitor way larger than you need to cover your field of vision. you don't have to use every application in the aspect ratio of your monitor, just get a monitor that is tall enough and make your application whatever aspect ratio suits you.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

3:2 is the greatest aspect ratio ever conceived

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shaggar posted:

i went to 16x10 in like 2008 and i cant imagine downgrading to a poverty ratio like 16x9 or bastardized crap like 21x9
shaggar was right

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

shaggar is also right about cyclists tho

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
driver hate for cyclists is all projection. a person behind the wheel of a car is literally insane, and at some subconscious level, they know what they are doing is wrong. and then a cyclist shows up and it's like, here is this moral person, this paragon of humanity, and not only are they flouting their virtuous choices in my face, but they dare to inconvenience me while they're doing it! urrrgggghhhhh RAGE

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the only good monitor is the apple xdr op which is very sad

i will not admit to buying one because its obv overkill and i would not like to be eaten but if i had bought one i would be happy with it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

driver hate for cyclists is all projection. a person behind the wheel of a car is literally insane, and at some subconscious level, they know what they are doing is wrong. and then a cyclist shows up and it's like, here is this moral person, this paragon of humanity, and not only are they flouting their virtuous choices in my face, but they dare to inconvenience me while they're doing it! urrrgggghhhhh RAGE

lol no. its the other way around.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

poty posted:

i will not admit to buying one because its obv overkill and i would not like to be eaten but if i had bought one i would be happy with it

only 6k for well over 8k prices, limited to 60hz and no variable refresh. garbage

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

poty posted:

rush limbaugh proudly displays his mac pro and pro display xdr behind him for every show

still want it?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
are there 8k monitors other than the dell from 2017 (checking the specs of that one now i realize its better than i thought lol. did it originally have displayport 1.4 back then or did they ninja-update the specs?)

120 hz would be nice but its not a deal breaker

e: ah it had displayport 1.4 but no dsc so it still needs two cables. sad

poty fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 24, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweevo posted:

i just use a tv

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i wish 4:3 or 5:4 had stayed around instead of becoming niche and expensive because i would buy the poo poo out of a 27-30" at something like 2560x1920

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sweevo posted:

i wish 4:3 or 5:4 had stayed around instead of becoming niche and expensive because i would buy the poo poo out of a 27-30" at something like 2560x1920

this would be less of a problem if more programs leaned into the fact that monitors are widescreen now instead of keeping the same interface from 1994

i use the "tree style tab" firefox extension which puts browser tabs on the side. put more controls on the side, we have plenty of room now.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

pfft, try 1:1 you plebs :smug:

Eizo EV2730QFX, 1920x1920 and $1429 :eyepop:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I don't understand why we're stuck on rectangles. My eyes are spherical, my monitor should be too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
since this is the pos and we're all full of terrible advice, has anyone suggested OP use a VR headset and VR desktop yet? infinite display size and arbitrary geometry, go hog wild!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Asleep Style posted:

I don't understand why we're stuck on rectangles. My eyes are spherical, my monitor should be too

https://pufferfishdisplays.com/

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

That globe from Snow Crash is an literal actual thing? Can it be real-timed with satellites?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Asleep Style posted:

My field of view is an ellipse with approximately 2:1 proportions, which is why 21:9 is the optimum aspect ratio.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

My field of view is an ellipse with approximately 2:1 proportions, which is why 21:9 is the optimum aspect ratio.

An optimum aspect ratio for deez nuts.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Asleep Style posted:

I guess stuff like this has been superseded by VR hats, but I would still like a go in one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu6MGvpnlCM

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

r u ready to WALK posted:

if it's not beige it's no good

this is a good good display

until a capacitor goes and it’s nothing but a line

still miss it