Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The trike in death stranding feels extremely good to drive, I’ve used it for an hour or two and this is really one of the best-feeling vehicles I’ve used in any game

Because I don’t feel like making another post in the sister thread about it, it’s very lame that you have to get off of the trike to pick up loot next to you and then get back on, which I feel is a problem a lot of games have. what are games that actually let you interact with things near your vehicle without having to exit it over and over?

Sleeping Dogs picked up money from your car, so you could fund your pork bun addiction by running over parking meters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

The trike in death stranding feels extremely good to drive, I’ve used it for an hour or two and this is really one of the best-feeling vehicles I’ve used in any game

Because I don’t feel like making another post in the sister thread about it, it’s very lame that you have to get off of the trike to pick up loot next to you and then get back on, which I feel is a problem a lot of games have. what are games that actually let you interact with things near your vehicle without having to exit it over and over?

In Mario Kart you just crash into crates to get guns and poo poo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Ghost of Tsushima you can pickup everything from horseback at full speed within a pretty healthy range of it.

Upgrade resources, animal hides, ammo, whatever it doesn't care.

And just as importantly, most of that stuff has no animation so you don't get a 5 second cutscene every time to skin a hide.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can use the Watchdogs magic cell phone while in a car, which lets you do most of the things you could do on foot as well as using cars as hiding spots while messing with other players you're hacking

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

In Mario Kart you just crash into crates to get guns and poo poo
Imagine having to pay 8000 metal to finish Toad's Turnpike.

actually that sounds a lot like free-to-play Mario Kart

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm almost sure you can pick up any dropped loot from horseback in Asscreed Odyssey as well.

Days Gone would give you the ears of any dead zombies in the proximity, but also only that. Not like it'd make any less sense to also give you the ammo or items from human enemies.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
in Mad Max, you could build an upgrade in the various regional bases called the Scrap Crew. Any scrap parts that were created through playing the game would then be automatically scavenged for you so you didn't have to get out of the car.

The thing dragging it down is there are four different significant regions so you have to collect parts to build them four times... and some parts were tucked away in powerful enemy camls you couldn't take on until well into the game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Particularly egregious since you can automatically pick up most stuff from vehicle or horseback in MGSV. I know it was a specific design decision, but it feels like a step back in user-friendliness between the two.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Replaying a bunch of MGSV, I really appreciate its mechanics consistently being tuned to fun gameplay at the expense of realism. Like, big armored guy carrying a massive rocket launcher while riding a horse decked out in battle gear? Just lean away to the other side and enemies won't get too suspicious as long as you don't hang around.

:same: and I wish I remembered most of the little hell yeahs I've been muttering every time something nifty happens. Like maybe its bad gameplay that Quiet can 50cal a story mission apart while you wander off to rescue some donkeys, but nah it rules.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Dash Rendar posted:

and some parts were tucked away in powerful enemy camls you couldn't take on until well into the game

Those guys sucked. It was super hard to avoid all the spitting, and actually shooting the hump to get the loot was really tricky.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Flint_Paper posted:

Those guys sucked. It was super hard to avoid all the spitting, and actually shooting the hump to get the loot was really tricky.

They dodge bullets like Albert Wesker in Resident Evil 5. Fight like him too, but you have to get in close to land the Conan-style knock out punch so you can collect the prize.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

It's a perk in Horizon Zero Dawn and I love it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I find lots of games have real problems incentivizing people to use vehicles or mounts. The freedom of speeding around on your ride turns into the monotony of a bus making all the stops as you feel like you need to disembark every ten seconds to collect something or talk to a character.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

I'm playing Planescape: Torment for the first time and all the love and care that went into Sigil is absolutely delightful. Makes drat near every other fantasy setting feel... tired. I just spent about a half hour clicking little orbs that house the memories of senses and emotions, and each one gives a little vignette centered on that concept.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Rimworld pawns in a relationship will "get some lovin'" if sharing a room with their partner.

Even if its in a public barracks. My barracks has 4 couples banging every night.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Considering the hellworlds colonists generally live on I cant say I blame them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just Offscreen posted:

Considering the hellworlds you make for your colonists generally live on I cant say I blame them.

:colbert:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

A while back I beat Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, and the way they do the last fight scene is loving amazing. You're fighting Sasuke as Naruto (or the other way around if you pick Sasuke) to the point where they're both extremely worn down and can hardly stand, and the game actually simulates this by starting you off really strong and being able to use your specials, but then the special bar breaks and you can't use poo poo and can only just limp forward and throw punches until the game finally does a button prompt that triggers the last cutscene. I've never been into Naruto that much but the way they stage that last fight and the way it translates to the way the controls work is just astounding to me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Days Gone would give you the ears of any dead zombies in the proximity, but also only that.
I liked that the feral ghouls in FO3 would also have loot on them because it implied that they were real persons before they turned feral.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

A while back I beat Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, and the way they do the last fight scene is loving amazing. You're fighting Sasuke as Naruto (or the other way around if you pick Sasuke) to the point where they're both extremely worn down and can hardly stand, and the game actually simulates this by starting you off really strong and being able to use your specials, but then the special bar breaks and you can't use poo poo and can only just limp forward and throw punches until the game finally does a button prompt that triggers the last cutscene. I've never been into Naruto that much but the way they stage that last fight and the way it translates to the way the controls work is just astounding to me.

reminds me of Asura's Wrath, which I think was made by the same developer. In the final fight, you do your QTEs, and you overwhelm the boss so much that you see him failing his own QTEs.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

reminds me of Asura's Wrath, which I think was made by the same developer. In the final fight, you do your QTEs, and you overwhelm the boss so much that you see him failing his own QTEs.

Man, asura's wrath was such a cool game in general. Though iirc the DLC expansion was way better than the base game? I think it has the fight where you knock the boss to the moon, then follow him up there too keep kicking his rear end

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

that sounds like the fight with Augus, which is in the main game. I wish it would get a port.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Smirking_Serpent posted:

that sounds like the fight with Augus, which is in the main game. I wish it would get a port.

The fight with Augus just starts on the moon. The fight Elvis is talking about is against Ryu from the street fighter series, and it's a joy to watch!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I think that was the fight with Evil Ryu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJxnP5LXFgw

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The moon is like, a 3/10 on the escalation scale.

SkeletonHero has a new favorite as of 20:39 on Jul 23, 2020

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It's also the last fight in MGS4, kind of.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Wasn’t there a part in Wonderful 101 where the entire world gets in on a QTE?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

moosecow333 posted:

Yeah. The way that game manages scale throughout the course of the game is something else.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zeether posted:

Reminds me of the final fight in Crisis Core

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

moosecow333 posted:

I was hoping that would happen, but it never quite got that far.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ariong posted:

I was hoping that would happen, but it never quite got that far.

You missed out. No game has ever had a build up and climax as good as wonderful 101's

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

moosecow333 posted:

Every once in awhile I'll pull up a video of it because it's such a joy to watch.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Goons enjoying the Virgin Victory eh?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Calaveron posted:

You missed out. No game has ever had a build up and climax as good as wonderful 101's

No, I’m saying the game never quite got that far. I was hoping it would end with evryone on earth being given a wonder-mask and forming a world-sized Unite Morph, but that doesn’t happen. You do end up in a skyscraper-sized robot though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Every once in awhile I'll pull up a video of it because it's such a joy to watch.

I love when it cuts to the cockpit to show that all of the main heroes are also button mashing

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Playing through the Foundation DLC for Control, and Jesse Faden Starring In Swift Platform was almost as fun as the Ashtray Maze.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gordon Shumway posted:

Playing through the Foundation DLC for Control, and Jesse Faden Starring In Swift Platform was almost as fun as the Ashtray Maze.

I loved that a ton in concept, but it was one of the worst offenders for bad checkpointing. Like, by the second day of trying I was just kinda done with it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Was it by CyberConnect?

I really need to play Asura's Wrath. That game needs a remaster too.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

Also wondered how the extended clip worked on the gun, now I know:
https://i.imgur.com/Y9toggK.mp4
just little rear end arms

It stands to reason that if the little arms put the bullets into the gun, then they must also take them out when you load both of the clips into the gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Tombot posted:

It stands to reason that if the little arms put the bullets into the gun, then they must also take them out when you load both of the clips into the gun.