Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

boar guy posted:

no bowling alleys up there?

never seen them in that up here.

Looks like you'd have to order them from a specialty candy retailer: https://candyfunhouse.ca/products/andy-capps-hot-fries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Whooping Crabs posted:

So, any metropolitan area in the US then

OK, fine. That was a bit disingenuous of me to imply that every other city besides NYC is a haven for white trash.

I'm just apprehensive at the thought of moving due to the amount of work involved. I've also been through a few layoffs where I've had to take moving out of state as a consideration and that negative association adds on top of my aversions. It also doesn't help that my line of work limits where I can move to. A lot of Mechanical Engineering jobs at manufacturing firms are sometimes in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in this region and my qualifications aren't the most competitive to get my foot in the door for more desirable places and commuting long distances in this area can be a poo poo show depending on where you go.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edward IV posted:

I'm just apprehensive at the thought of moving due to the amount of work involved. I've also been through a few layoffs where I've had to take moving out of state as a consideration and that negative association adds on top of my aversions. It also doesn't help that my line of work limits where I can move to. A lot of Mechanical Engineering jobs at manufacturing firms are sometimes in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in this region and my qualifications aren't the most competitive to get my foot in the door for more desirable places and commuting long distances in this area can be a poo poo show depending on where you go.

As a mechanical designer, the thing is, even if you get into an engineering job in a major metropolitan area, all the manufacturers are going to be on the outskirts because land is much cheaper.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Andy Capp's Hot Fries are insanely good but hell's bells they are (a) terrible for you and (b) difficult to find outside of vending machines.

Takis are pretty good but they don't have the same wonderful "Pringles, but airier" texture as Andy Capp's.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

Andy Capp's Hot Fries are insanely good but hell's bells they are (a) terrible for you and (b) difficult to find outside of vending machines.

Takis are pretty good but they don't have the same wonderful "Pringles, but airier" texture as Andy Capp's.

I weep for anyone who's never had Andy Capp's Hot Fries.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I used to love the Pub Fries but I haven't seen them in years

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pastry of the Year posted:

Love's truck stops have them.

They also sometimes have Doritos Dinamita and those fuckers are.hot enough that I can't finish a big bag in one shot and they make my fingers very red, where I have to wash my hands several times with the gritty GoJo stuff for mechanics.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've never understood how the business model of wife-beater branded fake french fries you can only find in vending machines is supposed to work.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rodbeard posted:

I've never understood how the business model of wife-beater branded fake french fries you can only find in vending machines is supposed to work.

They're in gas stations around here :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

rodbeard posted:

Inertia, primarily

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

As a mechanical designer, the thing is, even if you get into an engineering job in a major metropolitan area, all the manufacturers are going to be on the outskirts because land is much cheaper.

Yeah, I've figured out that much eventually. It didn't help that my very first job was right in the middle of midtown Manhattan so I got spoiled with having a lot of variety when eating out for lunch. My subsequent jobs in NJ have been at most a half an hour commute (about 25 miles) but I still see a good amount culinary variety that far out. By that point, though, I started cooking my own meals because eating out got too expensive and fattening.

I feel that you have to go at least 30-40 miles from NYC to before you start to reach the boonies in NJ and see the variety drop off. My only other real point of reference is Rochester (where my job in Manhattan moved to before I got laid off) and I feel that you hit that boundary much sooner at about half the distance.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

zedprime posted:

I might admit there is nothing fundamentally wrong with excess water rice cooking but you're still wrong for doing it that way.

My bff once made rice in front of me and apparently the way her family makes it is to dump a bunch of water in and loving strain it after it's cooked like it's pasta or something.

Rice is really easy. There's directions on the package!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

empty sea posted:

My bff once made rice in front of me and apparently the way her family makes it is to dump a bunch of water in and loving strain it after it's cooked like it's pasta or something.

Rice is really easy. There's directions on the package!

I had a friend do that too. An hour after the planned dinner time she's crying about it not being done and I'm trying to talk her through her process, then I open the lid and it's to the top with water, a conventional spaghetti pot.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

empty sea posted:

This is a well known approach. https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/how-to-cook-rice-like-pasta-article

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

rodbeard posted:

One of the best things about going with Cheetos instead is that as far as I know Chester the Cheetah has never been celebrated for domestic violence

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:3:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Used to pair Andy Caps with sour skittles in high school and that poo poo tasted like fruit loops

Corn fossil

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

I guarantee no one reading this is cooking rice for 20 people in a big pan in a pinch, and if they are they have a rice cooker

Rice is the easiest thing to cook for 2 or 4 people, there's no need to drain the water off a batch of soggy rice

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Somehow I never thought of putting capers in cookies...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

They're pretty good. Generic smoky-bacon flavor, but not bad. The Reuben ones are better.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

empty sea posted:

That is exactly the method shown in the video. It's the absolute easiest way to cook rice and it works perfectly. I can only assume that all the people talking about how "soggy" it makes the rice have never actually tried it, because it just doesn't?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

They're pretty good. Generic smoky-bacon flavor, but not bad. The Reuben ones are better.

Can confirm. Haven't had the reuben ones. Gotta find me that.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Tiggum posted:

That is exactly the method shown in the video. It's the absolute easiest way to cook rice and it works perfectly. I can only assume that all the people talking about how "soggy" it makes the rice have never actually tried it, because it just doesn't?

It only makes the rice soggy or gluggy if you cook it too long. Cook it for the right amount of time and you have nicely cooked rice.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

it's a fine texture for many SE asian, american, african dishes and worthless for east asian dishes and also in some parts of SE asia

about as many riceeaters in both categories, i think

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
https://i.imgur.com/rA4laO6.mp4

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I can hear this

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Tiggum posted:

it works really well for indian dishes and i know several of my indian coworkers consider it the normal way to cook rice. that video was someone yelling their anger at people for using a different method and is very fail

the pasta-boil + rinse method ends up with really distinct rice grains and is awesome for later using in heavily flavored rice

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I liked them for years but the most recent time I had them, I got really, really sick. I don't know if it was food poisoning or just a sudden allergic reaction to something I didn't realize I was allergic to, but I physically can't go back.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I used to think the excess water rice cooking was wrong until I realized that it makes absolutely no difference for the rice cooking purposes in my household and neither I nor anybody else who eats the rice gives a poo poo.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
try making sushi rice that way, the texture will be very weird

anything you would use basmati rice for, it'll work just fine

etc

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
You mean things are cooked differently depending on what dish they'll go into? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

bloom posted:

You mean things are cooked differently depending on what dish they'll go into? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

it looks like the dish it was going into was chinese style fried rice which this wouldn't be acceptable for. the written bbc recipe specifies basmati rice, which actual south chinese peeps basically dont eat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/eggfriedrice_67782

prolly they mean jasmine, which is sometimes viable

e: lookin at the vid again, it looks like shes actually cooking calrose despite talking about basmati, by the way the slopping acts, which would work even less well. can't really tell tho

bob dobbs is dead has a new favorite as of 08:43 on Jul 24, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
here, on topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
My Mom does the boiling in excess water method. In the microwave. Every single dinner she makes gloopy sad microwave rice with margarine and Ms. Dash in it. About once a week it boils over in there and I get to clean out the rice cement that results. Her microwave always smells like burnt rice. Don't be like my Mom.