Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So wait-is 21 months what people really mean when they say terrible twos? Because my son is becoming a bit of an rear end at times and I’m really hoping this is the worst of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Terrible twos is more like terrible 18 to 48 months.

We have an aggressive kid and weve found the best way to break that is to simply just stop interacting and walk away with a "I don't like that. No hitting." Little older with our little one so we can say more to explain but a sudden and abrupt world change with mom going away works wonders. They quickly learn that hitting makes parent go away and stop it.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Arkanomen posted:

Terrible twos is more like terrible 18 to 48 months.

We have an aggressive kid and weve found the best way to break that is to simply just stop interacting and walk away with a "I don't like that. No hitting." Little older with our little one so we can say more to explain but a sudden and abrupt world change with mom going away works wonders. They quickly learn that hitting makes parent go away and stop it.

Alright, that's good to hear. My wife is getting pretty tired of it.

And "a bit of an rear end" is a good description. He can be the sweetest thing most of the time, but then he'll get abusive with his mom or the dog, smiling the whole time.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

The last week he’s been going to bed at 7:45-8 pm, consistently getting up around 11 for a bit and then again at 3 for a bit and then finally sleeping until 6-6:30.

My body can’t loving take this. I wish I would have had kids when I was a bit younger. 38 is definitely not the sweet spot to have a 1.5 year old.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We are experiencing something similar. Our daughter will sleep to about 2 but then wake up every few minutes. If we're lucky she'll sleep to 7:30 or so. Two night ago we had a hell of a thunderstorm, it woke my wife and I up because it rattled all of the windows. She slept soundly the entire night and didn't even budge with the thunderstorm raging. I'm at 40 and it kills me, our daughter is ~22 months.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
4.5 month old pooped today, on day 6 of no poop, 20 minutes after we called his pediatrician for advice.

It was not as bad as I've been fearing for the past four days.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sipher posted:

4.5 month old pooped today, on day 6 of no poop

Poop math

Kid did not poop for 4.3% of their life up until this point

If that had happened to a 30 year old person, proportionally, they would have not pooped for 478 days, or 1.31 years

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Hadlock posted:

Poop math

Kid did not poop for 4.3% of their life up until this point

If that had happened to a 30 year old person, proportionally, they would have not pooped for 478 days, or 1.31 years

I genuinely appreciate your effort with this! Ha.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Now work out the relative size of that dump if it was from a fully grown human!

My 3 year old would clog the toilet on the reg, something I have never done as a large adult.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Our kid went 9 days at 7 weeks old without pooping. He was perfectly happy, but it did overflow his diaper into his swaddle.

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

9 month old has today climbed out of a pack and play (caught in the nick of time teetering over the top edge about to faceplant on the ground below) and to the top of a baby gate. I'm a little beside myself now figuring out how to reconfigure all baby areas.

I took his crib out and put the mattress just on the floor of his room.

Please give any other suggestions if you have them. I'm already so tired and really dreading having to be up his rear end day and night now that he can bash his brains out from heights. And nowhere safe to corral him for a minute of peace on the toilet.

He had JUST started sleeping through the night. And now I'm afraid with his mattress on the floor he will not sleep, just want to crawl around constantly. We already had a completely failed nap on the floor mattress because he was like gently caress laying here, I can just leave, so now he's good and cranky.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Squid posted:

9 month old has today climbed out of a pack and play (caught in the nick of time teetering over the top edge about to faceplant on the ground below) and to the top of a baby gate. I'm a little beside myself now figuring out how to reconfigure all baby areas.

Please give any other suggestions if you have them. I'm already so tired and really dreading having to be up his rear end day and night now that he can bash his brains out from heights. And nowhere safe to corral him for a minute of peace on the toilet.

He had JUST started sleeping through the night. And now I'm afraid with his mattress on the floor he will not sleep, just want to crawl around constantly. We already had a completely failed nap on the floor mattress so now he's good and cranky.

We had to use the son’s crib for all sleeping around that age. I had to move the crib to the lowest setting, nearly on the ground. He loved to climb and was pretty tall for his age. We also have him in a zippity zip, which helps him sleep in addition to making it harder for him to climb.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Climbing is inevitable. Best thing you can do is remove the obstacles that he wants to climb. Of course this means that he's going to have free access to everything if he decides to wake up, so you'll need to babyproof the whole room.

Keep the door latched shut at night, and install a knob cover on the inside (or whatever means necessary to keep the kid from opening the door; don't rely on the knob because he'll figure it out pretty quick).

We used to leave our daughter's door cracked at night, because it's warped so it's hard to close and is loud when it opens (she slept poorly, so making noise was a no no). One night we woke up to the sound of her hollering, but at the time it wasn't unusual for her to go back to sleep after a few minutes. We noticed the sound was louder than usual, so we went to check and she had climbed out of her crib, left her room, and was halfway down the stairs. So at 2am I had to go track down a hex key to lower the mattress in her crib. That lasted a few months until she got out again (that time she was found asleep on the floor), and finally we just had to convert it to a toddler rail.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

install a knob cover

If they had done this, they wouldn't need to baby-proof.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

nwin posted:

The last week he’s been going to bed at 7:45-8 pm, consistently getting up around 11 for a bit and then again at 3 for a bit and then finally sleeping until 6-6:30.

My body can’t loving take this. I wish I would have had kids when I was a bit younger. 38 is definitely not the sweet spot to have a 1.5 year old.

lol same for my 22 month old. guess it's another ~wonderful~ developmental phase

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

my stepdads beer posted:

lol same for my 22 month old. guess it's another ~wonderful~ developmental phase

Fuuuuuuuuuck

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My 2 yearold seems to have a habit of fake-sneezing at other kids she is mildly annoyed at which is kind of mortifying in these challenging times :eek:

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

nwin posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck

We are starting to get an attitude here at 21 months. She’s still not really talking yet so it’s dramatic body movements and turning into a wet towel when she doesn’t want picked up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

priznat posted:

My 2 yearold seems to have a habit of fake-sneezing at other kids she is mildly annoyed at which is kind of mortifying in these challenging times :eek:

:golfclap:

Are you gonna buy them an account next

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hadlock posted:

:golfclap:

Are you gonna buy them an account next

No way man I don’t want to get (more) cyberbullied! :haw:

Between not having anyone nearby with similar age kid and her probably going to have a later preschool start now we’re a bit concerned about her social skills with other kids her age. She just brutalizes her older sister despite our best efforts (but then also sticks up for her and protects her when she feels her sister is in trouble, it’s weird). She’s alpha as heck, totally unlike her siblings. Youngest child syndrome!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Squid posted:

He had JUST started sleeping through the night. And now I'm afraid with his mattress on the floor he will not sleep, just want to crawl around constantly. We already had a completely failed nap on the floor mattress because he was like gently caress laying here, I can just leave, so now he's good and cranky.

Able to get out of a pack and play and crib at lowest setting at 9 months? My 12 month old and all friends kids around 10-12 months still fit comfortably in their cribs and pack and plays, how is he climbing out, massive upper body strength? That’s scary

Also at 9 months I’m not sure mattress on the floor is the safest. My guy rolls around like crazy and I can definitely see if it was a few months ago he’d end up with some awkward face plants or getting all twisted up, or even worse trying to stand up or crawl and falling off the mattress from an even greater height.

It’s been a couple days - how is it working out?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

priznat posted:

No way man I don’t want to get (more) cyberbullied! :haw:

Imagine getting humiliated and dunked on, and then finding out it was your own kid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Imagine getting humiliated and dunked on, and then finding out it was your own kid.

Patton Oswalt had a bit on this how his greatest fear would be to have a jock kid who would call him a big nerd and throw his replica sword(s) on the roof. My wife actually references it frequently how I already get owned by my 2 year old girl :haw:

Squid
Feb 21, 2001

Crazyweasel posted:

Able to get out of a pack and play and crib at lowest setting at 9 months? My 12 month old and all friends kids around 10-12 months still fit comfortably in their cribs and pack and plays, how is he climbing out, massive upper body strength? That’s scary

Also at 9 months I’m not sure mattress on the floor is the safest. My guy rolls around like crazy and I can definitely see if it was a few months ago he’d end up with some awkward face plants or getting all twisted up, or even worse trying to stand up or crawl and falling off the mattress from an even greater height.

It’s been a couple days - how is it working out?

Yes on lowest settings. I think it's just a fluke that he discovered how to do it; he definitely doesn't have the sense or brains to back it up at this age. He can just get his torso over the top and fall. We managed to catch him at it several times that day and haven't given him any more opportunities. He started drag/low crawling at 4 months. I think that did happen to give him more upper body strength than he should normally have at this point? He is 98th percentile height and just grabs the top rail and walks up the side of whatever (so slats or mesh doesn't matter), then pulls over top. My first didn't ever even TRY anything like that until well over two and I really wanted that for this go round as well.

The mattress on the floor worked ok for one night. He did roll off onto a thick futon I put there once and woke up but went right back to sleep. The next day, I bought an Ikea bed that is basically a box on the floor with mattress inside (Kura with mattress set on floor). So it has maybe five inch lip of box around the mattress and he has been sleeping like a champ in there. Yes he could definitely stand and fall from there. I am only doing it because it's better than a fall from the top of a crib rail. :(

My biggest frustration is that there doesn't seem to really BE a super safe solution. My husband wanted to make a latching top for the crib and I just can't agree it could be done safely by us.

Mattress on the floor he wiggles off. Ikea frame probably not tested with <1 year olds.

I definitely have that high anxiety from first year postpartum, so maybe I'm being overly nuts, I can't tell. So I appreciate being able to bounce this off you all.

He IS pretty big and 10 months this week. I'm trying to convince myself that it's ok to sleep him like this. When surely many other cultures do this? I just don't know anything except cribs for babies.

Thanks everyone for the input.

(Edit: I did babyproof the hell out of the room and am using the door closed instead of a gate he could climb. I haven't tried a zippered baby sack yet.)

Squid fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 27, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Preferred baby camera(s)? Looks like some people have been using nest cameras, others are saying nanit

I'm guessing you want one dedicatedthat has a good view of the crib, and possibly one or two others that are more mobile to move around the house or take to grandma's or whatever

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hadlock posted:

Preferred baby camera(s)? Looks like some people have been using nest cameras, others are saying nanit

I'm guessing you want one dedicatedthat has a good view of the crib, and possibly one or two others that are more mobile to move around the house or take to grandma's or whatever

Eufy Spaceview is what we use and I absolutely love it after getting a really cheap one for first baby.

https://www.amazon.com/eufy-Securit...95881270&sr=8-5

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I don't know if this is outdated or whatever but I always used d-link networked cameras instead of actual baby monitors because they were a lot less expensive and worked the same.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
My little girl is 20 months old and she must be teething up a loving storm because she has never been this volatile. I love her to bits but I'm stuck watching her for a few days while her daycare is cleaned (a parent has covid). She's hardly eaten old favorites, drools like mad and has a runny nose for the first time in months. I know it's not covid because she wasn't even exposed to the kid with the sick parent at all, not even on the same playground equipment, plus no fever or cough or wheeze or anything. She chews a few things like her life depends on it and has trouble sleeping.

Anyone have any good advice for teething? Molars and canines are the suspects right now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BonoMan posted:

Eufy Spaceview is what we use and I absolutely love it after getting a really cheap one for first baby.

https://www.amazon.com/eufy-Securit...95881270&sr=8-5

Agreed. We’ve had some problems with ours but eufy has replaced it twice without fail. All the cheap ones are the same and we keep one around for traveling

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I have the Eufy and the base unit failed a couple of months after the warranty expired. They didn’t do anything to help me out. I wound up purchasing another, but since they’re not cheap you probably don’t want to buy it months before your due date. We didn’t really need ours until our kid was 6 months old and sleeping in his own room.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'll look at this eufy thing. We have one of their vacuums and a couple of smart home smart plugs and everything seems to work good. I think they're a sub brand of Anker which is a major plus

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know if this is outdated or whatever but I always used d-link networked cameras instead of actual baby monitors because they were a lot less expensive and worked the same.

Yeah I have a Synology NAS, which I guess has camera control stuff, how are you connecting to them? Just the base D-Link app?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

VanSandman posted:

My little girl is 20 months old and she must be teething up a loving storm because she has never been this volatile. I love her to bits but I'm stuck watching her for a few days while her daycare is cleaned (a parent has covid). She's hardly eaten old favorites, drools like mad and has a runny nose for the first time in months. I know it's not covid because she wasn't even exposed to the kid with the sick parent at all, not even on the same playground equipment, plus no fever or cough or wheeze or anything. She chews a few things like her life depends on it and has trouble sleeping.

Anyone have any good advice for teething? Molars and canines are the suspects right now.

Have you tried giving her Motrin? It helps a lot with teething with my daughter. She’s cutting canines right now and she has some bad nights. Motrin gets us through it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I have a Synology NAS, which I guess has camera control stuff, how are you connecting to them? Just the base D-Link app?

Just the app. To be honest we didn't use them a huge amount, especially with kid #2 but they did the job.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
When my wife asked my 4yo why she was cutting her own hair, she immediately burst into tears. "I'm sooo sorry Mommy I made a mistake!"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

So my kids like this Abby Hatcher show and I catch a glimpse of her watch aka “fuzzly spotter”

That’s a goatse snuck in there right

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
A week or two ago someone posted a link to the "Elimination Control" potty training method and I impulse-bought the book aimed at 18+ month-year-olds since my kid just hit that age. I'm thinking she's probably ready (she follows my wife into the bathroom, rips off her own toilet paper, and mimes wiping herself over her pants/diaper) but we, fatigued parents that we are, are not.

We don't want to start anything until we've had a chance to read and absorb this book, but even that task is looking to be a monster right now. Any tips from people who've been through this method so we know what to pay attention to when we read?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a good book on parenting,

Except, it's like, the cynic's guide to parenting?

I grew up in a neighborhood where all the parents read books like, "how to make sure your daughter is the captain of the cheerleading squad" etc. A good friend of mines little sister actually was. I ended up moving out of the hellhole that is the perfect suburban neighborhood for the densest grimiest city I could afford. I definitely do not have unresolved issues.

Mostly overwhelmed with the "omg you and your baby are PERFECT in EVERY WAY bliss bliss bliss" wave of fake love bs, looking for actual practical advice

Is there like a, "how to simultaneously keep your daughter from dating a motorcycle driving guy and prevent her from becoming an English major at an overpriced liberal arts school in the northeast and becoming a career Starbucks barista" book

I'm still learning how to keep my parenting opinions to myself

ha;lp

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hadlock posted:

Mostly overwhelmed with the "omg you and your baby are PERFECT in EVERY WAY bliss bliss bliss" wave of fake love bs, looking for actual practical advice

For babies/young toddlers, I really liked Cribsheet. The author was pretty practical, with a lot of focus on risk, but in the context of ‘what other potentially riskier things would you be doing if you don’t do this thing’, rather than ‘WOW so you’re considering cutting a corner rather than entirely follow a recommendation, INTERESTING.’ It’s lighthearted and not particularly sappy, but tops out around potty training age.

That said, I know nothing about stuff for older kids and am similarly grossed out by the tone of most pregnancy and parenting books.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

priznat posted:

So my kids like this Abby Hatcher show and I catch a glimpse of her watch aka “fuzzly spotter”

That’s a goatse snuck in there right
No ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Is there like a, "how to simultaneously keep your daughter from dating a motorcycle driving guy and prevent her from becoming an English major at an overpriced liberal arts school in the northeast and becoming a career Starbucks barista" book

If this is the kind of content you're looking for, sorry to break it to you, but your daughter is a person and will make decisions regardless of what you do. Hell she might do these things BECAUSE you don't want her to.