Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Also you try way too hard and it makes you look pathetic instead of clever.

Take it from me, an expert on making bad posts.

settle down, Beavis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Canned Panda posted:

So apparently Crysis is out now.

https://youtu.be/Z7M_QdgLCSE

Here's the store link

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Carrion seems to be a perfect port can’t wait to pick it up!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bust Rodd posted:

Carrion seems to be a perfect port can’t wait to pick it up!

My impression of the first 30 minutes is that it runs perfectly and that being a big gross biomass that eats people and moves like a cat is really fun.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

repiv posted:

Hell this was the goon consensus for a long time, the footage that Bethesda put out did make Doom look way slower than it ended up being.

It wasn't until Nvidia showed a competent player going hog wild on the PC version at one of their GPU launches that opinion started to shift.

It's a bit funny since it seemed they had literally no idea what people were interested in about the game, or just thought no one wanted to play an action FPS for anything but the multiplayer.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's a bit funny since it seemed they had literally no idea what people were interested in about the game, or just thought no one wanted to play an action FPS for anything but the multiplayer.

Oh yeah, they also did a public beta of the (bad) multiplayer before the game launched which soured people on it even more. It's like they wanted the game to fail.

Nvidia salvaged the marketing entirely by accident, they just wanted to show off how well the game ran on their new cards.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Foul Fowl posted:

My impression of the first 30 minutes is that it runs perfectly and that being a big gross biomass that eats people and moves like a cat is really fun.

Good to hear. I played the demo on PC and instantly fell in love.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When do sales cycle on the eshop? Is it normal time every week or varies publisher to publisher?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Huxley posted:

When do sales cycle on the eshop? Is it normal time every week or varies publisher to publisher?

Once upon a time it was consistently Thursday afternoon, but now it varies by publisher. Looking at the current list of major sales on the eshop, and we have 3 starting on Thursdays, 2 on Fridays, and 2 on Tuesdays.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Fly Ricky posted:

The 3DS is bar-none my favorite handheld/console. I will hold onto my Galaxy edition until the end of time. The library, backwards compatibility, and Virtual Console titles are massive.
I bought two 3DSes after I bought a Switch: a refurb New 3DS, and later a refurb New 3DS XL.

I held off on getting a 3DS until Metroid: Samus Returns was released, and for whatever reason that was the game that convinced me to get a New 3DS and purchase a lot of the back catalog. While I really like the form factor of the New 3DS, I'm getting older and the screen density is just high enough that I have trouble seeing the screen sometimes, so I ended up getting a New 3DS XL too. They're great machines, and great for homebrew too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I use my Majora's Mask New 3DS XL pretty regularly. The gold paint is getting frayed on the sides unfortunately, but the top plate looks cool as ever.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I liked Carrion since the demo on Steam and it owns. A good mix of stealth, puzzles, and ultraviolence.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm guessing there's no way to actually see what games have updated on the Switch? Got a frankly annoying notification that the Pokemon Cafe game "and one other" had updated, and I guess I don't get to see what the 'one other' was.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TowerFall and Celeste are only $5!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm playing Crysis Remastered and it sure doesn't look sharp on a 4K TV, though it's a miracle they got this to run on the Switch at all and I'm sure it looks better on the smaller screen in portable mode.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

How's Towerfall solo? Does it have a story mode, is it worth it? Is there Online or is it only local? I will probably play it with Zero people as I have no friends.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Inzombiac posted:

To anyone who hasn't bought Celeste yet:

Why haven't you bought Celeste yet?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone playing Crysis? Worth €30 ?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I use my Majora's Mask New 3DS XL pretty regularly. The gold paint is getting frayed on the sides unfortunately, but the top plate looks cool as ever.

New 3DS XL is probably my favourite handheld ever. The library is insane.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If I have a 3ds XL is it worth upgrading to the New 3DS or is it a marginal enough upgrade to ignore?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Thoughts on Atomicrops? Is it more Stardew or more Gungeon?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

New 3DS XL is probably my favourite handheld ever. The library is insane.

I still play mine to this day and am always down to buy more games for it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Definitely worth it for the much improved eye tracking and the additional right 'stick' nubbin thing is occasionally useful. There's the few games which are exclusive to the New3DS, but there's also performance boosts across the board, and if you're going to hack it (trivial at this point with any model/firmware) the faster specs really help with emulation.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

If I have a 3ds XL is it worth upgrading to the New 3DS or is it a marginal enough upgrade to ignore?

There's only a few games that really take advantage of the New 3DS's capabilities, so unless you're dying to play the worst version of Xenoblade or The Binding of Isaac w/o expansions, you can just stick with what you got. Oh, I guess there's a few SNES games on the Virtual Console as well, if that might tip you over...

e: ^^I bought a New 2DS and forget that 3D is even a thing, so there's also that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My about-to-be-6 year old is finally getting the hang of games with Minecraft Dungeons on our Xbox. She can legit plat and do multiple things at the same time and yay father daughter game time!

So now I'm going to grab a Switch soon. I had one before and got my mario and zelda fix before reselling it a year or two ago.

But I'd like to also grab a handheld system for her and man... for as much Nintendo stuff as I've owned in the past I've never owned any of their handheld units (I mean other than the Switch).

6 year old - just getting into games... what's the go to here?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
A 2ds is an excellent choice imo, I'm cautious of suggesting a switch lite because of stick drift and the 3ds library ownssss anyways

Or you could be my brother and give her an iPad with literally zero restrictions or supervision (don't do this)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KingSlime posted:

A 2ds is an excellent choice imo, I'm cautious of suggesting a switch lite because of stick drift and the 3ds library ownssss anyways

Or you could be my brother and give her an iPad with literally zero restrictions or supervision (don't do this)

Ha yeah she has a Fire Kids tablet but quickly figured out how to get into adult mode and was buying random apps left and right so... this is kind of a reaction to that as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not a Children posted:

If you don't plan on playing the very few exclusive games then I probably wouldn't pay too much for one.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Not a Children posted:

It increases your homebrew potential, including running old games with the stronger hardware to eliminate or reduce performance issues

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The benefit of the 2DS is that they are dirt cheap and easily hackable too. I set one up for my nephew a few years ago when he was younger and he got good mileage out of it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BonoMan posted:

6 year old - just getting into games... what's the go to here?

Nintendo Switch. PC, if they're into Don't Starve/Minecraft/Seven Days To Die/ARK/etc. survival games, like my brother's kids are.

And make purchases always require a password, you git!

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
My six year old loves Yoshi's Crafted World, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker and Mario Kart.

They're all easy for that age group to get their heads around and have features to allow assisted play or easier modes etc.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mister Facetious posted:

Nintendo Switch. PC, if they're into Don't Starve/Minecraft/Seven Days To Die/ARK/etc. survival games, like my brother's kids are.

And make purchases always require a password, you git!

It is she just figured it out. I told her how to get into my phone one time in case of emergencies and she quickly figured out it was the code for the tablet too. I changed it ha.

But anyway the Switch is already on the docket, I was looking specifically for an actual smaller Nintendo handheld to supplement it. Aka "when I'm playing the switch."

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

compounded daily posted:

e: ^^I bought a New 2DS and forget that 3D is even a thing, so there's also that.

I arrived to the 3DS party very late (last year) because I realised how many ridiculous games I was missing out on, and the absolute main draw for me were the N64 Zelda remasters and the 3D in those is incredible and really helps with the immersion. I'd played around with my nephew's original 3DS so I knew what its limitations were, the New models are much better in that regard and if the original had shipped with the same tech I think it would have been seen as much more than a gimmick.

There aren't many games that take full advantage of it, but the ones that do aren't worth missing out on or cheapening the experience for imo. Super Mario 3D Land being the other obvious standout.

In the end I gave the new3DS I'd bought to my nephew with a bunch of emulators and classics from before he was born on there and bought myself a new3DS XL I managed to find in mint condition on ebay for £100, which given the library was easily worth it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Dang new 2DS XL with Mario Kart is only $100. Sold!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

There's a good reason I haven't sold my N3DSXL.
While I love the Switch, it doesn't have the same portability and battery life. The 3DS library is also loving insaaaaane.

Plus, I never had to worry about tossing the 3DS in a bag.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Inzombiac posted:

There's a good reason I haven't sold my N3DSXL.
While I love the Switch, it doesn't have the same portability and battery life. The 3DS library is also loving insaaaaane.

Plus, I never had to worry about tossing the 3DS in a bag.

So as a dumb newbie. Other than specific 3D games... is there a difference int he library or do most 3DS games play on the 2DS?

edit: I mean I guess I can just google this poo poo but I always appreciate the context that goons bring to the answers

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BonoMan posted:

So as a dumb newbie. Other than specific 3D games... is there a difference int he library or do most 3DS games play on the 2DS?

They all play on the 2Ds!
Just in 2D

A New 3DS/2DS XL will play any game in the entire DS/3DS library

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They all play on the 2Ds!
Just in 2D

A New 3DS/2DS XL will play any game in the entire DS/3DS library

Welp see y'all in a few years!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BonoMan posted:

edit: I mean I guess I can just google this poo poo but I always appreciate the context that goons bring to the answers

Oh, I wouldn't worry about losing the 3D effect. It's neat sometimes but I almost always play with it off.

In fact, if the Switch hadn't come out, I would have bought the latest N2DSXL.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

BonoMan posted:

AFAIK it's only the 3d so go hog wild

Honestly I never really liked the 3D as more than an occasional gimmick, but it was kinda neat to be able to do 3d without glasses or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I still think the 3DS version of Shovel Knight is the best looking version simply because the 3D makes it look so good. I had an issue where I'd play it so much that I started seeing regular text and images on a screen as layers floating above one another.