Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

"wtf why does she feel hurt"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://twitter.com/WOTonPrime/status/1285994561588703232

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Their story is so bleak.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Please tell me that the top guy is Raen. That is the most perfect casting ever.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

silvergoose posted:

"wtf why does she feel hurt"

I love it because generally it's due to Perrin acting super loving guilty

Like she senses that somehow, in some way, Perrin's being more emotionally honest with Berelain than with her

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 23, 2020

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Gnoman posted:

Please tell me that the top guy is Raen. That is the most perfect casting ever.

Yep, and the younger guy is Aram. Bet they have Illa do some casual singing at the very least - that actress is a pretty well known Irish folk singer.

Looking forward to Perrin awkwardly sitting through the tiganza :heysexy:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yep, and the younger guy is Aram. Bet they have Illa do some casual singing at the very least - that actress is a pretty well known Irish folk singer.

Aram has a very good intensity around him

Was always annoyed at Perrin for how he treated Aram

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I always felt it was at least implied, but Masema was definitely being influenced by one of the Forsaken, right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Personally, I'll hold out for the sasara.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I always felt it was at least implied, but Masema was definitely being influenced by one of the Forsaken, right?

It's hard to tell because of how bugfuck crazy he was anyway. Spreading chaos through the westernmost nations of Randland seemed to be Graendal's thing so if there's any one of them it was probably her.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The spoilers podcast dudes have a theory that one of them is loving with his dreams. Something about a bright light claiming to be the Dragon telling him what to do, I forget the details

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah, at the end. Just double checked, his perspective in TGS Prologue (I think) he talks about how the Dragon Reborn came to him glowing and floating, telling him to kill Perrin. Maybe it’s madness but it’s around when the push to kill the two of them started.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

silvergoose posted:

Their story is so bleak.

Yep, and the younger guy is Aram.

He has the right look in his eyes to play Aram, I think. :smith:

"Can I use this one?" :hist101:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Prairie Bus posted:

Yeah, at the end. Just double checked, his perspective in TGS Prologue (I think) he talks about how the Dragon Reborn came to him glowing and floating, telling him to kill Perrin. Maybe it’s madness but it’s around when the push to kill the two of them started.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It's hard to tell because of how bugfuck crazy he was anyway. Spreading chaos through the westernmost nations of Randland seemed to be Graendal's thing so if there's any one of them it was probably her.

I'd say that's a case closed.

Graendal should have been Nae'blis, she was the most competent of them next to Ishamael himself.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vavrek posted:

He has the right look in his eyes to play Aram, I think. :smith:

"Can I use this one?" :hist101:

The parallels between that and the aiel memories are so depressing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

certain things definitely kind of take on a bit of further meaning when you remember that he was a vietnam war vet

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'd say that's a case closed.

Graendal should have been Nae'blis, she was the most competent of them next to Ishamael himself.

Demandred, Semirhage, and Mesaana all individually and collectively were pretty drat effective.

Demandred has Taim and Shara, Semirhage had Seanchan, and Mesaana has the White tower.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

As the song goes, five out of thirteen ain't bad.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Those are the ones that made it to the Last Battle, but there were others who were pretty useful before that. Rahvin effectively destroyed Andor. Sammael not only threw Illian into chaos, but created the entire Shaido sub-plot that tied up all three Ta'veren for a good chunk of time.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lanfear's biggest contribution to the effort was indirectly removing Moiraine from play by getting tackled through a doorway.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DarkHorse posted:

Demandred, Semirhage, and Mesaana all individually and collectively were pretty drat effective.

Demandred has Taim and Shara, Semirhage had Seanchan, and Mesaana has the White tower.

Semirhage was in good with the Seanchan, but she didn't really end up accomplishing all that much in the scheme of things- Yeah, Suroth was a darkfriend under her thumb, but on the whole, the seanchan invasion and rule of the western nations was an upgrade for the populace in that area. Her failed attempt to kill Rand did end up almost breaking him though, so, on the one hand, good for her, but on the other hand, Rand learning to tap the True Power through his link to Moridin was also probably the key to him figuring out how to fully fix the dark one's prison sooooo that's kinda a large negative.

The other two were definitely hugely effective in Forsaken terms, Mesaana's instigation of the white tower split was a stunning shitshow, and Demandred basically pulled an entire channeling army out of his rear end.

Graendal's actual actions around the last battle in terms of both directly dunking the people around Shayol Ghul and loving with the minds of the great captains to lose over half the armies of the light was a big play.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Those are the ones that made it to the Last Battle, but there were others who were pretty useful before that. Rahvin effectively destroyed Andor. Sammael not only threw Illian into chaos, but created the entire Shaido sub-plot that tied up all three Ta'veren for a good chunk of time.

And yet they couldn't actually win. loving idiots.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Khizan posted:

Lanfear's biggest contribution to the effort was indirectly removing Moiraine from play by getting tackled through a doorway.

Lanfear's entire schtick is thinking she's way more important to stuff going on than she actually is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

She just wanted to get laid so bad.

I must say though, damning humanity for all time is some ultra-crazy-ex poo poo.

I feel I need to refer to my earlier point of 'just how loving crazy do you have to be to not get laid when you're the most beautiful woman alive?'

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 24, 2020

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Khizan posted:

Drilling the bore, but ya know. What have you done lately?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I really liked Lanfear till she got tackled. She had a different motive than just whining about being
Nae’blis.

It is pretty funny that a resurrected Ishamael is given the title for no reason. I can’t remember which one of the chosen realized it and kinda thought it was hosed up.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

He got the job because had the most fitting goal to the Dark One's own, stop the Wheel and destroy Creation so he wouldn't keep getting rezzed every time the DO and the Dragon needed to have their regular discussion.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

He's also less fussed about personal grudges with the other Muppets. I guarantee anyone else would have immediately wiped out half the others.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Also he did most of the work setting the stage for the Tar'mon Gaidon showdown anyway. His efforts led to the destruction of the Ten Nations, humanity's first major attempt at crawling back towards civilization from the post-apocalyptic wasteland. He drove the political divide between the White Tower and the rest of the world. He created the Black Ajah. He splintered Artur Hawkwing's legacy, sending Hawkwing's children to Seanchan instead of allowing them time for consolidation--ending Hawkwing's dynasty in Randland and driving the world towards an immediate World War right after Hawkwing's war of conquest.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The Ishamael Power Hour

Did they ever explain how he managed all that while sealed with the other Forsaken? I don't think it was a "trapped near the surface" deal like Aginor & Balthamel, but I can't remember how it worked.

And related, was a rough timeframe ever given for when the seals weakened enough to let the Forsaken walk out and start messing with things in the flesh?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It is pretty blatant that Ishamael was not wholly sealed, given that he was able to walk around in the prologue while Lews Therin is still alive. The implication is that he's free sometimes but not always.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Every thousand years or so.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
I didn't even think about that part of the prologue, how embarrassing. Whatever deal he had certainly seems better than Aginor and Balthamel's, if he's walking around on and off for millennia but not a withered and or tongueless husk.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Johnny Joestar posted:

certain things definitely kind of take on a bit of further meaning when you remember that he was a vietnam war vet

There's a passage in book 2 that really stood out to me.

quote:

“I was told by the Lord Captain Commander himself to avoid all eyes.”

“The village has been . . . pacified. Now move your men. I command, now. I have orders with the Lord Captain Commander’s seal, if you doubt.”

Bornhald suppressed the growl that rose in his throat. Pacified. He wondered if the bodies had been piled outside the village, or if they had been thrown into the river. It would be like the Questioners, cold enough to kill an entire village for secrecy and stupid enough to throw the bodies into the river to float downstream and trumpet their deed from Alcruna to Tanchico. “What I doubt is why I am in Tarabon with two thousand men, Questioner.”

The village has been pacified.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lord Awkward posted:

I didn't even think about that part of the prologue, how embarrassing. Whatever deal he had certainly seems better than Aginor and Balthamel's, if he's walking around on and off for millennia but not a withered and or tongueless husk.

Well, it did lead to his brain being broken and him begging for annihilation

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Lord Awkward posted:

Did they ever explain how he managed all that while sealed with the other Forsaken? I don't think it was a "trapped near the surface" deal like Aginor & Balthamel, but I can't remember how it worked.

And related, was a rough timeframe ever given for when the seals weakened enough to let the Forsaken walk out and start messing with things in the flesh?

IIRC he's free for ~40 years every millennia or so and while out he has varying levels of ability to draw on the true power but ranges between being basically intangible and having a mostly physical form.

As far as the seals, it seems like by the start of book 2 basically all of the Forsaken are free and starting to meddle in mortal affairs.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 24, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lord Awkward posted:

Yeah, he does a lot but the characters in story don't really realize it for a long time. You basically have to piece it together from stuff he says in the dreams, specific bits of info that get dropped etc.

Like, for instance, Ba'alzamon was the Trolloc and Myddraal name for him, not the Dark One. Almost everyone in modern day Randland has no idea that's the case but if you read some of the Trolloc black writing with that in mind you learn a lot about how he engineered the Trolloc Wars and corrupted Artur Hawkwing etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'd argue that Mesaana was actually a pretty worthless forsaken.

What was her accomplishment anyway? Ordering Siuan to be brought down? The Black Ajah might have done that by themselves anyway, they did it often enough in the past when Mesaana was still bound in the Bore. And notice how Alviarin orchestrated the whole thing, Elaida approached her when she learned what Siuan was messing with. Alviarin always did the whole work of the Shadow in the White Tower. Mesaana did nothing more than impersonate a brown sister. What else did she do? Order Rand's capture? Elaida would have done that herself anyway. Drive a wedge between the White Tower and Rand by letting Elaida write that letter? It certainly didn't help, but I doubt Rand would have trusted Elaida anyway, especially after the kidnapping. Then Mesaana had the brilliant idea to send the head of the Black Ajah, and Keeper of the Stole, to check whether the female Choedan Kal really melted. Which resulted in Alviarin losing her position as Keeper, to accomplish a task any darkfriend Aes Sedai could have done just as well. And she does nothing to help her regain her position. She does nothing to eliminate Egwene. Then she leads the attack against the reunited White Tower, and fails spectacularly at that as well. She also didn't show up at Shadar Logoth.

So really, did she do anything that Alviarin with a few general orders from Moridin couldn't have done just as well, if not better? And notice how she boasted in that meeting with Moridin and Demandred (and Graendal) that her agents basically controlled the White Tower, that it was broken, and that she would deliver a brood of channelers to the Shadow. Notice how Graendal, whose PoV it is, doesn't rate her very highly, compared to Demandred. And again, she failed to break the Tower, and the channelers that went to join the Shadow at the Last Battle were Black Ajah, so it's not Mesaana's work.
She's overrated imho.

And it's certainly a big failure of the story that the only new Forsake is Taim, when Alviarin deserved that title just as well, and it would have been a nice gender balance to boot.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

And it's certainly a big failure of the story that the only new Forsake is Taim, when Alviarin deserved that title just as well, and it would have been a nice gender balance to boot.

It would seriously own if Alviarin also got that promotion in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

I'd argue that Mesaana was actually a pretty worthless forsaken.

What's funny is that they figured the same in the Age of Legends. She was rejected for a research position at the Collam Daan. Lanfear got in and she didn't.

In terms of how they figured worthiness, 8 of the 13 Forsaken had 3rd names in the Age of Legends. Mesaana is among the ones that don't. (Though, interestingly, Lanfear also did not)