Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Zongerian posted:

Oh yeah, name 5 of them

It's really not hard as other posters are listing them, you can also include Divinity 2, definitely the last two AC games despite Ubisoft trying to be terrible, and if you look at the Infogrames list there's a ton more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dias posted:

Why do I get the feeling that the people going "it's okay to just make general statements about an entire country's population" are all Americans?

Like, don't do that poo poo unless you're very familiar with the social dynamics of that specific country, otherwise there's a pretty good chance you're just reciting stereotypes without understanding the reality of a place.

im not saying that, what im specifically saying is making a general statement about france isnt racism. it may be some other form of bad or discriminatory language, but one thing it explicitly isnt is racism. making a broad statement about some other countries may be racially motivated, for example if a white westerner says something negative about an entire african or middle eastern nation its very likely to be racist. however, this doesnt apply to the nation of france. i hope we can come to an understanding i dont feel i can explain that saying something bad about france isnt racially motivated discrimination any clearer than i have.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It's weird how people aren't understanding Stux because what they are saying is not some crazy idea. It's not racism to make fun of French People not shaving or smoking cigarettes or whatever. They're stereotypes, but no-one's going to lynch a frenchman for being hairy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

im not saying that, what im specifically saying is making a general statement about france isnt racism. it may be some other form of bad or discriminatory language, but one thing it explicitly isnt is racism. making a broad statement about some other countries may be racially motivated, for example if a white westerner says something negative about an entire african or middle eastern nation its very likely to be racist. however, this doesnt apply to the nation of france. i hope we can come to an understanding i dont feel i can explain that saying something bad about france isnt racially motivated discrimination any clearer than i have.

Was your name mentioned anywhere in that post?

It's fine, I believe in you, you're not a racist. Still, you should be careful about making pretty broad statements made from a position of ignorance, especially if you're from a country that dominates the narrative and tends to frame everything from their specific cultural lens.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Less Fat Luke posted:

It's really not hard

Oh really

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ive not made any statements other than french isnt a race and saying something about france isnt racist. i made an illustrative comment about british people because i am from the uk. the post youre quoting specifically says making a broad statement about people from france may be some other form of discriminatory language, but it isnt racist. i hope this is clear now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Boba Pearl posted:

It's weird how people aren't understanding Stux because what they are saying is not some crazy idea. It's not racism to make fun of French People not shaving or smoking cigarettes or whatever. They're stereotypes, but no-one's going to lynch a frenchman for being hairy.

That’s an awful argument. Nobody is going to lynch a black person for liking watermelon or an Asian guy for being good at math, but ithey’re still racist as gently caress stereotypes.

And I’d be willing to bet French people have been killed because people thought they’d hosed their wives, beaten up because dumb yokels think they’re cheese-eating surrender monkeys etc.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 23, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

That’s an awful argument. Nobody is going to lynch a black person for liking watermelon or an Asian guy for being good at math, but ithey’re still racist as gently caress stereotypes.

the examples you quoted are not the same as the examples you mentioned and you shouldnt conflate them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

ive not made any statements other than french isnt a race and saying something about france isnt racist. i made an illustrative comment about british people because i am from the uk. the post youre quoting specifically says making a broad statement about people from france may be some other form of discriminatory language, but it isnt racist. i hope this is clear now.

Motherfucker, again, DID I MENTION YOUR NAME? You're getting weirdly defensive for someone that agreed with my general point on an emptyquote, my addendum there was meant more as a general rule of thumb than a personal callout. Chill.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Stux posted:

the examples you quoted are not the same as the examples you mentioned and you shouldnt conflate them.

That guy shound’t make ”it’s OK to say X because people don’t get killed because of X” arguments.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Der Shovel posted:

That guy shound’t make ”it’s OK to say X because people don’t get killed because of X” arguments.

Surely you can't think that the amount of a black people killed over stereotypes is comparable to the French in examples you made up? This whole thing is a pendantic argument.

Edit: the detail was over Ubisoft Montreal so really it's the Canadians who should be getting dragged

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 23, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Zongerian posted:

The name 5 good French games challenge

Okay

1. Furi
2. Furi
3. Furi
4. Furi
5. Furi

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dias posted:

Motherfucker, again, DID I MENTION YOUR NAME? You're getting weirdly defensive for someone that agreed with my general point on an emptyquote, my addendum there was meant more as a general rule of thumb than a personal callout. Chill.

yes, you were. you quoted me and said "It's fine, I believe in you, you're not a racist. Still, you should be careful about making pretty broad statements made from a position of ignorance" and i was responding. apologies if you meant to quote someone else when you said that.

Der Shovel posted:

that doesnt give you cause to conflate racial stereotypes with stereotypes about french people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

learning a lot about sexual harassment in the games industry rn

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

yes, you were. you quoted me and said "It's fine, I believe in you, you're not a racist. Still, you should be careful about making pretty broad statements made from a position of ignorance" and i was responding. apologies if you meant to quote someone else when you said that.

that doesnt give you cause to conflate racial stereotypes with stereotypes about french people.

...you're being deliberately obtuse, huh. Whatever. My original post wasn't about you. You're fine. Go on and live your best life.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fargin Icehole posted:

Okay

1. Furi
2. Furi
3. Furi
4. Furi
5. Furi

I was originally going to do a serious list and that was going to be at the top of it but then I realised there's five good rayman games

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Der Shovel posted:

And I’d be willing to bet French people have been killed because people thought they’d hosed their wives, beaten up because dumb yokels think they’re cheese-eating surrender monkeys etc.

Except they will? And that has happened to both of those people?

Why are you pretending racists aren't killing minorities?!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

We can talk about how Ubisoft is making abuse survivors sign NDAs before they will bother to do internal investigations instead of any kind of meaningful action

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This is a stupid pedantic derail and I hate all of you for it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

It's tangentially related but somewhat important to discuss how we can't be reductive and say it's a regional issue. You of all people should be fine with that. Otherwise, you can always bring a new case to be discussed, because this post also added nothing to the table.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Endorph posted:

i didnt think telling someone not to call comments about france "a race thing" was going to make people argue that it is, actually.

sorry for the derail

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Acerbatus posted:

imo treating large groups of people as lesser for something they can't control is bad, even if some members of that group hold all the power.

:five:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

We can talk about how Ubisoft is making abuse survivors sign NDAs before they will bother to do internal investigations instead of any kind of meaningful action

Ubi has handled the whole situation so cynically it hurts. They made some big moves but there's no addressing the actual lovely culture.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Ubisoft is so hosed, and is going to do nothing to change, not to mention most of their games ends up being fasc bait.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yup, Ubisoft is going by the standard corporate playbook. Basically a holding pattern until it blows over, with some changes that aren't really meant to solve the issues so much as they are to help protect them from future public embarrassment.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Stux posted:

i didnt think telling someone not to call comments about france "a race thing" was going to make people argue that it is, actually.

sorry for the derail

And to be clear, I'm actually with you on that. The initial comment was off base but not racist, just weird and dumb. Apologies from here also.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 23, 2020

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Yup, Ubisoft is going by the standard corporate playbook. Basically a holding pattern until it blows over, with some changes that aren't really meant to solve the issues so much as they are to help protect them from future public embarrassment.

The whole shift in leadership feels like more of a takeover than a reform too.

On the other hand, I don't see how this stuff can be solved tackling individual cases. Like, not that these people shouldn't be called out and removed from power, but it's a bit...exhausting, when you do that and then another rear end in a top hat pops up and takes their place. For big companies, you can try boycotting but them going broke just means their poo poo is gonna get bought by another company that just didn't get exposed yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just hope Valhalla sales actually take a hit. I'm certainly not getting it now

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

You need to remove the head, or in a case where the head was "only" negligent or incompetent, the head needs to actually get off their rear end and do their job. Corporate culture is best changed from the top down. It's not impossible for the staff to change the culture, leveraging the current publicity against management, but that's unlikely without unionisation or any other form of collective bargaining/organisation, and not everyone in the lower layers of the company would necessarily want to take part in that for many reasons, good and bad.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

in cases like these, the entire company should be forcibly dissolved

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wildcat strikes (or in the case of the French divisions that are organized, official strikes)

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I would want an outside government organization to crack down on this poo poo, but it also needs to be with a government that's not terrible. So uh, I really proposed nothing here :smith:.

But I do have blanket statements to make against the Gauls, such as:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zongerian posted:

The name 5 good French games challenge

dead cells 5 times.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb7yMHsDoVc

dont gently caress with the french.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

precision posted:

I just hope Valhalla sales actually take a hit. I'm certainly not getting it now

As if. The average consumer does not care about any of this stuff at all. And Assassin's Creed sells the most to the Average Consumer. I can see this kind of revelation tanking an indie company, but a major AAA studio? We don't live in a good enough world for that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The thing that always bothers me (and workers in these studios always mention this as well) is that absent a coordinated message or strategy, individual choices to not purchase a product do absolutely nothing to produce change. Unless it's rubbed in their faces directly and indisputably, execs are more likely than not to look at a sales downturn and go "well looks like our efforts to make diverse protagonists aren't paying off, that's why this happened and nothing else, too bad we have to lay people off now" even if it makes no logical sense

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The thing that always bothers me (and workers in these studios always mention this as well) is that absent a coordinated message or strategy, individual choices to not purchase a product do absolutely nothing to produce change.

It's not necessarily about producing change. The choice can be as simple as to not literally give money to them.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Dissolve Ubisoft, replace it with a company dedicated to the Universal Basic Income part of UBIsoft.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean personal taste or lifestyle choices are fine too (I certainly don't plan on buying any Ubi games or giving them much thought any time time soon) but pretty sure action should be directed to enact change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

precision posted:

It's not necessarily about producing change. The choice can be as simple as to not literally give money to them.

The Consumer Activist Manifesto