Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So I don't know if this is an issue with the builder, the previous owner, or not a problem at all.

Our condo is one of those loft like places with exposed vents and etc, which means that the pipes for the sprinkler system are all visible. Everywhere else in the condo there is a support attached to the ceiling holding the sprinkler pipe up. In the guest bedroom, the pipe sticks about 6 feet out of the wall and is free standing, with no support attaching it to the ceiling. As you can see, there is even a bit of a lean on it. Now, I can see no patched holes above it where a support bracket would have gone, so either the previous owners removed it and did a really great job of patching it, or there never was one.

Everywhere else where there is more pipe exposed there is a support bracket every 10 feed or so

Now, the building does yearly inspections of the sprinkler system and presumably did not see a problem with it the last time around, but that happens on the last quarter of the year and we bought this place in late April, so there is a chance the previous owners hosed with it as they prepared to sell it.

How worried should I be about all of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I would just take a few minutes to shoot an email to the property management company.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

gvibes posted:

I would just take a few minutes to shoot an email to the property management company.

I did. She said that maintenance of the sprinkler system inside the unit is my responsibility, but that they do the annual inspection in the last quarter and the unit passed it then, but she has no idea if the "normal" is for it to be without the ceiling bracket or not. I imagine that if I send an email to a sprinkler company they'd say that I totally need to add a bracket, so I am trying to find a "neutral" opinion on this.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I would add a support near the sprinkler head. If that thing went off, it's going to bounce around a lot since you don't have anything holding it in place for at least 7'.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I would add a support near the sprinkler head. If that thing went off, it's going to bounce around a lot since you don't have anything holding it in place for at least 7'.

While I don't disagree, if that sprinkler goes off it will douse everything with tens/hundreds of gallons of putrid water and op is gonna have much bigger concerns than a couple dents in the ceiling plaster.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
What sort of property management company is dumb enough to leave the sprinkler system maintenance under the control of the individual owners? :wtc:

Individual owners: Well known for staying on top of all their maintenance, especially when it's high up on the ceiling and out of sight/mind. Let's just let them take care of the part that prevents all the neighboring units from burning down too. What's the worst that could happen?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

What sort of property management company is dumb enough to leave the sprinkler system maintenance under the control of the individual owners? :wtc:

Individual owners: Well known for staying on top of all their maintenance, especially when it's high up on the ceiling and out of sight/mind. Let's just let them take care of the part that prevents all the neighboring units from burning down too. What's the worst that could happen?

Assuming it's a pressurized system it would be immediately apparent if anyone broke off a section of it. (If it's 2 stage gas charged then that presumes someone downstairs is watching the pressure gauge, if it's water charged then someone downstairs is guaranteed to notice.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sundae posted:

The sort of property management company that also requires every tenant to carry a renters' insurance policy, I imagine. E.g. one that is very interested in shifting as much liability as possible onto the renters. Your sprinkler didn't go off becuase you failed to maintain it, and the whole apt. burned down? Hey guess who is liable now and who isn't.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
To clarify, it is not that whether or not the sprinkler system is functional is up to me. As I said they do inspections and yearly testing and whatever is a commonly occurring maintenance at that time gets fixed. But whether or not there is a ceiling bracket and who did or did not remove it is not their responsibility. They are not going to order a new, specific inspection because of my thinking its funny, and if it was removed by the previous owner and not up to code it will be my responsibility to fix it.

I would imagine that that would be the case in most condos, no?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

joepinetree posted:

To clarify, it is not that whether or not the sprinkler system is functional is up to me. As I said they do inspections and yearly testing and whatever is a commonly occurring maintenance at that time gets fixed. But whether or not there is a ceiling bracket and who did or did not remove it is not their responsibility. They are not going to order a new, specific inspection because of my thinking its funny, and if it was removed by the previous owner and not up to code it will be my responsibility to fix it.

I would imagine that that would be the case in most condos, no?

I've only lived here a month now, but my HOA documents state that all repairs and replacements required for maintaining the sprinkler systems - internal or external - are arranged and funded by the HOA itself. "Internal and external fire prevention systems" are considered HOA responsibility.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
reached out to the company that handles stuff in the building. 400 bucks for installation of the bracket. Decided to go ahead with it because I was able to finally locate where the old bracket hole was and it was indeed patched over. I could probably install a support myself for like 1/10 the price, but if there is something that I really don't want to gently caress with or have any questions of liability at all is the sprinkler system.

But I got to say that my absolute anger at the previous owners keeps growing. Who the gently caress 1- removes a support bracket from a sprinkler pipe? and then 2- carefully patches over the hole where the old support bracket attached to?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

joepinetree posted:

reached out to the company that handles stuff in the building. 400 bucks for installation of the bracket. Decided to go ahead with it because I was able to finally locate where the old bracket hole was and it was indeed patched over. I could probably install a support myself for like 1/10 the price, but if there is something that I really don't want to gently caress with or have any questions of liability at all is the sprinkler system.

But I got to say that my absolute anger at the previous owners keeps growing. Who the gently caress 1- removes a support bracket from a sprinkler pipe? and then 2- carefully patches over the hole where the old support bracket attached to?

It's safety-related. They shouldn't be charging you. Is this a rental?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Blindeye posted:

It's safety-related. They shouldn't be charging you. Is this a rental?

No. Condo, I am the owner. They do regular maintenance. Previous owner removing a support bracket and not telling anyone is not something they would cover or take responsibility for.

Edit:
The language in the HOA rules calls it a limited common element, where I have a "duty to maintain." In that sense, it is treated like the balcony, for example. Normal wear and tear and regular maintenance (e.g., making sure the sprinklers are working, the exterior walls are painted, etc) is on them, gently caress ups my me or the previous owner are on me.

If I had to guess, the previous owner took out the support when they were painting the ceiling for sale, didn't know how to put it back (or broke the support taking it out), realized that the support goes into concrete and costs that much to have it professionally done, and then hoped no one would notice. Now, technically it is up to code, but that is because the code for sprinkler support is ridiculously lax (maximum spacing for support brackets for a pipe of that size is something like one every 15 feet, and this pipe sticks out 6 feet from the wall).

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 24, 2020

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Sucks, but seems like an ok price for peace of mind.

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
Seems a decent chance that my new place has some asbestos tile in a couple of bedroom closets. Ignore? Cover? Pay to rip out?

Super ugly and not in greatest shape too.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Seems a decent chance that my new place has some asbestos tile in a couple of bedroom closets. Ignore? Cover? Pay to rip out?

Super ugly and not in greatest shape too.

If it's not flaking or crumbling it's safe to ignore it. If it is breaking apart somehow then you should call someone to abate it.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Is there any issue with mixing insulation levels on the same floor? Like say the north side is r-20 but the south r-10?

I'm guessing no but want to check as I've I know doing some insulation and none elsewhere is a no-no, but I didn't see anything about different degrees of insulation.

To make it more complicated, the floor in question Is a "basement" - the house is on a downslope. One "L" of the bottom floor is mostly below grade, the other "L" isnt. Looks like there's currently just r-12 batts in most places, with some foam if the cavity space allows it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Jenkl posted:

Is there any issue with mixing insulation levels on the same floor? Like say the north side is r-20 but the south r-10?

I'm guessing no but want to check as I've I know doing some insulation and none elsewhere is a no-no, but I didn't see anything about different degrees of insulation.

To make it more complicated, the floor in question Is a "basement" - the house is on a downslope. One "L" of the bottom floor is mostly below grade, the other "L" isnt. Looks like there's currently just r-12 batts in most places, with some foam if the cavity space allows it.

insulation is great and all but the biggest problem is air infiltration. Also insulation that isn't in the attic doesn't do nearly anything.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I finally bought a hedge trimmer and trimmed all of our hedges on my own, in 90+ degree heat/humidity.

OTOH, our hedges look great. OTOH, between weeding, mulching, lawn care, and now hedging, RIP my last 4 weekends.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Residency Evil posted:

I finally bought a hedge trimmer and trimmed all of our hedges on my own, in 90+ degree heat/humidity.

OTOH, our hedges look great. OTOH, between weeding, mulching, lawn care, and now hedging, RIP my last 4 weekends.

My bargain with the yard is that I will absolutely bust rear end on it for one month, and the rest is up to nature. It's usually every weekend and a few weeknights in May, some medium project like planting a flower bed, all the prep for the year, and planting veggies. After that, nothing more than trimming and mowing.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

StormDrain posted:

My bargain with the yard is that I will absolutely bust rear end on it for one month, and the rest is up to nature. It's usually every weekend and a few weeknights in May, some medium project like planting a flower bed, all the prep for the year, and planting veggies. After that, nothing more than trimming and mowing.

You must plastic and mulch like crazy for the flowerbeds. If I leave mine alone for even just a week, the weeds would be completely out of control.

Grass is crispy, but the weeds are green and vibrant like they're on the rainy side of a mountain in Hawaii.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Sure, I pick a few weeds here and there. I also spray and just let some be too.

This year's medium project was a drip line for the front flowers so they would thrive without my constant watering. The downside is now I would like that for everywhere. Next year will extend it and also possibly adding another

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The PO of the house I bought did a good job having weed barrier in all necessary areas, but it’s getting pretty torn up and letting weeds through. I know I need to give it all a refresh but I missed the perfect window of quarantine weekends + March/April weather. Spending 2-3 weekends outside in July/August 100 degree weather is a no go without a teenager to...delegate... the work to.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Democratic Pirate posted:

The PO of the house I bought did a good job having weed barrier in all necessary areas, but it’s getting pretty torn up and letting weeds through. I know I need to give it all a refresh but I missed the perfect window of quarantine weekends + March/April weather. Spending 2-3 weekends outside in July/August 100 degree weather is a no go without a teenager to...delegate... the work to.

It's ok, you can also have a wife that delegates the work to the two of you.

80 bags of mulch= 160 sq ft of mulch.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Unless you only need a couple bags of mulch I would not reccomend buying mulch in bags. Either call a tree company and have them drop it off or call a landscaping company if it needs to be fancy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

StormDrain posted:

Unless you only need a couple bags of mulch I would not reccomend buying mulch in bags. Either call a tree company and have them drop it off or call a landscaping company if it needs to be fancy.

That's the thought I had after we were 30 bags in, but otoh, bags are kind of nice because you don't have to shovel the mulch from the curb where they drop it off in to a wheel barrow. You just bring the bags where they're needed.

We paid someone in the spring to mulch/plant our front yard, which ended up being about $1200-1400 or so.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Yeah but then they drop a bunch of mulch on your curb and you realize you don’t own a wheelbarrow and make the quick, but shameful, drive to Home Depot.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah but then they drop a bunch of mulch on your curb and you realize you don’t own a wheelbarrow and make the quick, but shameful, drive to Home Depot.

Or better yet, in your driveway blocking in your car. Did you know Lowe's will deliver basically any amount of gravel to any driveway for $75?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Your mileage may vary here, from a cost perspective. I got 5 cubic yards delivered last year for about $188. That's about $2.75/bag. Lowes and HD usually run a sale in the Spring for $2/bag.

The delivery charges for less than 8+ cubic yards nail you. It was still worth it to me, because gently caress hauling 70 bags of mulch around, and I have a spot for them to dump and a wheelbarrow.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

But now you have a wheelbarrow.

B-Nasty posted:

Your mileage may vary here, from a cost perspective. I got 5 cubic yards delivered last year for about $188. That's about $2.75/bag. Lowes and HD usually run a sale in the Spring for $2/bag.

The delivery charges for less than 8+ cubic yards nail you. It was still worth it to me, because gently caress hauling 70 bags of mulch around, and I have a spot for them to dump and a wheelbarrow.

Also you don't have to handle the bags two or three times.

The town here has a free mulch pile that I used to go to annually, shovel as much as I could bear to onto the flatbed and then spread it out. But it was freeeee. And I could drive it close enough to shovel direct.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 27, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

In no reality should you be paying nearly $40 a yard for mulch. You all need to find better places/dudes who can deliver.

I get very nice mulch (much nicer than what I see bagged at lowes depot) for $20 a yard. If I couldn't move it myself I'm positive I could find someone to do that for me for a lots less than $10 a yard, even for 5 yards. Even a landscaper that would nomally be in the business of spreading that mulch shouldbe charging less than $38/yard delivered.

If not, I guess I need to start a side hustle with my dump trailer and cayenne.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I think our Tacoma-bed of redwood mulch came in at like $65 including labor to spread it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I'm stuck in a perpetual cycle of changing my mind about which refrigerator I want to buy. It feels like every brand has lemons. At this point I might as well just pick one randomly. I did read that LG had a class action lawsuit against them for the compressors.

At least with the washer and dryer I'm pretty set on Maytag commercial set.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Similar boat; I think I landed on Kitchenaid but I’m waiting for a deal via Costco for the 4 year extended warranty.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

Similar boat; I think I landed on Kitchenaid but I’m waiting for a deal via Costco for the 4 year extended warranty.

I wanted to get it from Costco, but all the fridges I want are sold out. I've been told to avoid Samsung and LG.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Or better yet, in your driveway blocking in your car. Did you know Lowe's will deliver basically any amount of gravel to any driveway for $75?

no and that is awesome, I need gravel

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm stuck in a perpetual cycle of changing my mind about which refrigerator I want to buy. It feels like every brand has lemons. At this point I might as well just pick one randomly. I did read that LG had a class action lawsuit against them for the compressors.

At least with the washer and dryer I'm pretty set on Maytag commercial set.

I'm buying a kitchen of appliances right now and I settled on the Bosch 800 series for the refrigerator and the dishwasher. The dishwasher is the obvious choice because it is consistently one of the top rated ones. The fridge is also really nice though. It has the extra refrigerated drawer for snacks or meat or drinks or whatever.The ice maker is in the drawer and the water is inside, leaving the door uncluttered. But the biggest reason is that it has separate compressors and evaporators for the refrigerator and the freezer, which up until recently was kind of only offered on SubZero fridges.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I'm basically looking at French door refrigerators with a water and ice dispenser on the door. I see all these super fancy models that can connect to WiFi, and I don't really want or need Spotify on my refrigerator.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really like our LG, we’ve had it for 9 years. During the first few years we had to get a board in the freezer replaced because the original design was dumb. A couple of months back, in year 9, our compressor finally went. Luckily they have a 10 tear warranty so we just had to pay labor for a new compressor and a software update for the main board which apparently handles load more intelligently.

But yeah unless something is egregious you’re going to find praise and hate for all big brands and you’ll never have a sample size that means anything. Ours just passes our test of stores all our poo poo well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Wait. You can order speed queens from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WK4FY3X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_x4KhFbQ5FESQP

How does that even work? I need to look into this. If they will install it for Yo, u I'm sold.