Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

unemployed posted:

Things make a lot more sense when you step back and realize that the nojoe crew literally wants a civil war and they know that another Trump term is their best shot at that happening. It's just more boog poo poo.

Herstory Begins Now, any comment on this post that otherwise seems to be obvious trolling? Is this accurate to what you believe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unemployed
Apr 17, 2003
code junkie
Just out of curiosity, how do people wrap their heads around Bernie and AOC voting for Biden? Why would they support a fascist rapist?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

unemployed posted:

Just out of curiosity, how do people wrap their heads around Bernie and AOC voting for Biden? Why would they support a fascist rapist?

they're bad op

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

they're bad op

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

VitalSigns posted:

they're bad op

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

unemployed posted:

voting for people like them is a compromise, not the ideal

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

unemployed posted:

Both of them are Democrats. Bernie promised to support whoever won, and when that person turned out to be a "fascist rapist" (your words), he decided to stick to his word rather than reassess. This makes him reliable, but amoral. Pretty bad.

AOC is a standard Democrat and therefore wants her party to win, which means she now has to support a "fascist rapist" (your words). Her internal morality, whatever of it is left, is not enough to override her party loyalty. Pretty bad.

This line of reasoning is a little bit like saying "Oh you don't like billionaires? What about [celebrity billionaire that you assume we like]?" It's a weak-rear end gotcha trap that doesn't actually work when the person you're talking to has taken a genuine moral stance. Warren Buffet can be the nicest man ever. He's still a billionaire and doesn't deserve his wealth.

E: Was your intended response us saying "oh well he must not be a fascist rapist then" because that's a pure appeal to celebrity and that's really bad as an argumentation strategy

unemployed
Apr 17, 2003
code junkie

VitalSigns posted:

they're bad op

I am legitimately curious as to how you expect to drag the country to the left when even the most left-leaning politicians in office can't pass your purity test? Do you consider Bernie and AOC to be fascists themselves or just fascist enablers?

Edit: And for the record I chose Bernie and AOC as examples that most people would consider to be left-leaning, not because I think you like them.

unemployed fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 23, 2020

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

unemployed posted:

I am legitimately curious as to how you expect to drag the country to the left when even the most left-leaning politicians in office can't pass your purity test? Do you consider Bernie and AOC to be fascists themselves or just fascist enablers?

typical liberal erasing women of color like kshama sawant

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

unemployed posted:

Fascinating couple of words there, why did you include them?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

unemployed posted:

Bernie having the werewithal to run interference for Joe Biden immediately after the Reade allegations started gaining traction already speaks poorly of his moral and intellectual judgement, but even then it would be irrelevant. Relying on the word of whichever electoral god is in vogue at the moment is not something to which I have any obligation to follow, even immersed as I am in a nation that dulls its mind with the kind of political starfucking that leads one to craft apologetics for The Negro Problem candidate because he was Obama's vice president. Sure, I could follow these people to the letter and craft loving soliloquy for John McCain while pretending Israel isn't a barbarian country, but I'd rather not play sycophant for a personality.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

unemployed posted:

Bernie and AOC aren’t the left’s “managers”. We aren’t bound to vote for someone because they did.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The problem with voting Biden to stop fascism is that Biden created, and the Obama-Biden administration massively expanded, all the tools and powers the fascist president is using to fascist up American.

Honestly, I've been so beaten down by all this, that at this point all it would take for me to vote Biden is for him to promise to repeal the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act and dismantle DHS to ensure no future Republican president could ever do what Trump is doing.

That's all he has to do. But if his solution to fascism is "a tyrannical police state is fine, as long as the Right People are spying on and murdering Americans" well that's no solution at all, just a postponement

unemployed
Apr 17, 2003
code junkie

Somfin posted:

Fascinating couple of words there, why did you include them?

I chose them as examples off the top of my head, not as representatives of "the left". Is there anyone in the house/senate that you don't consider a fascist or fascist-enabling?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If AOC publicly went against Biden the party would knife her the day of and never stop.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

unemployed posted:

I chose them as examples off the top of my head, not as representatives of "the left". Is there anyone in the house/senate that you don't consider a fascist or fascist-enabling?

the House leadership is currently trying to pass more funding for Trump's gestapo, sooooooo

bobjr posted:

If AOC publicly went against Biden the party would knife her the day of and never stop.

true, but also this makes the "well is AOC bad for supporting Biden :smug:" a dumb gotcha then, because ok maybe she's not bad, she's just being extorted. Well I'm not being extorted to do a bad thing, so even if she's not bad for doing the bad thing under duress, I would be bad for doing the bad thing under my own willpower.

unemployed
Apr 17, 2003
code junkie

Complications posted:

voting for people like them is a compromise, not the ideal

:ughh:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

unemployed posted:

Again, super specific set of possible choices there. Why do you think anyone currently in power would want to

unemployed posted:

drag the country to the left

when the country being in its current state is what got them power?

unemployed
Apr 17, 2003
code junkie

VitalSigns posted:

the House leadership is currently trying to pass more funding for Trump's gestapo, sooooooo

true, but also this makes the "well is AOC bad for supporting Biden :smug:" a dumb gotcha then, because ok maybe she's not bad, she's just being extorted. Well I'm not being extorted to do a bad thing, so even if she's not bad for doing the bad thing under duress, I would be bad for doing the bad thing under my own willpower.

Have you considered that people may feel compelled to vote for Biden because they are literally afraid for their lives or the lives of their families if Trump remains in power? Do you not see the extortion there?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

unemployed posted:

I am legitimately curious as to how you expect to drag the country to the left when even the most left-leaning politicians in office can't pass your purity test?

How did AOC get elected, forumsposter "unemployed"?

Was it by us settling for the pre-AOC representatives in congress and excusing everything they did because at the time they were the most-left?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

unemployed posted:

Have you considered that people may feel compelled to vote for Biden because they are literally afraid for their lives or the lives of their families if Trump remains in power? Do you not see the extortion there?

Extortion is a good word for that. A candidate should receive your vote because they earned it, not by default because the other guy is frightening.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The convenient thing about Lesser Evilism that the Libs always blatantly omit is that there is always going to be a Greater Evil that you are EXPECTED to shelve everything for in order to defeat, and to do otherwise is supposed to be deserving of scorn.
You're never allowed to push for better things in a meaningful way, because that runs counter to choosing the Lesser Evil that we've all been conveniently told is the only person ever who can stop the Greater Evil.

Stopping Dubya was the MOST IMPORTANT THING to liberals, now they love him because he is against Trump.
Stopping Romney was the Most Important Thing to Liberals, now he's frequently praised as the "only good Republican"
And now it's Trump's turn to be the absolute single greatest threat to freedom.

There is always going to be another Great Evil, and there is always going to be some Liberal scolding Leftists for wanting actual progress instead of falling in line and voting for the status quo yet a-loving-gain for the umpteenth time.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Lol that goons turned against AOC before she even got to run for a 2nd term.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

unemployed posted:

Sure, I don't begrudge anyone voting for Biden because their immediate families are in danger, even though the DNC rigged it.

That doesn't apply to the DNC itself though because they're the ones who rigged it, and doesn't apply to DNC members who are complicit (so all of them).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

unemployed posted:

correct. that is what has so many people on the left upset with the democratic party, for once again using Donald Trump to extort voters to vote for a corporate centrist.

I can't speak for everyone, but I really don't have a problem with people who feel compelled to vote for Biden for this reason. what I do dislike, is people making the same argument the democratic party is and browbeating those who reject the extortion.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

How did AOC get elected, forumsposter "unemployed"?

Was it by us settling for the pre-AOC representatives in congress and excusing everything they did because at the time they were the most-left?

I'm pretty sure that's what happened. We just sat there idly voting for whoever while the most-left representatives did their thing pulling the party left, and then bam we got AOC and she's not just being singled out because we're supposed to like her, unemployed just can't think of any other more-left people in Congress right now (even though there are a few!).

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rigel posted:

We're not faced with "creeping" fascism. That has been left far behind and is now a stepping stone behind us on the way back to normal.

I get the feeling that this is still a hypothetical exercise for some people to debate. Things have become very serious and very real for many of us, with profound consequences if Trump remains president.

Here's a question for you, Rigel - when exactly did things become "very serious and very real" for you? Because I lost my health insurance and stopped being able to afford my insurance meds back in the middle of 2016, before Trump took office.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

the_steve posted:

The convenient thing about Lesser Evilism that the Libs always blatantly omit is that there is always going to be a Greater Evil that you are EXPECTED to shelve everything for in order to defeat, and to do otherwise is supposed to be deserving of scorn.
You're never allowed to push for better things in a meaningful way, because that runs counter to choosing the Lesser Evil that we've all been conveniently told is the only person ever who can stop the Greater Evil.

Stopping Dubya was the MOST IMPORTANT THING to liberals, now they love him because he is against Trump.
Stopping Romney was the Most Important Thing to Liberals, now he's frequently praised as the "only good Republican"

There is always going to be another Great Evil, and there is always going to be some Liberal scolding Leftists for wanting actual progress instead of falling in line and voting for the status quo yet a-loving-gain for the umpteenth time.

yup that's the real con

every four years we're told the Republican is an existential threat to freedom, and we have to vote to reduce harm and worry about actually stopping harm later. But those Democrats don't reduce harm, they normalize everything the Republican does, they love him once he's out of office and tell us how great he was, and they build on all the tyranny the Republican did so they can hand even more powerful weapons of tyranny to the next Republican.

Which actually makes sense when you think about it, because the more terrible the next Republican is able to be, the stronger is the argument that we must vote Democrat this time!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

the_steve posted:

The road to hell isn’t just paved with good intentions but a series of small compromises. Once you make that first compromise, it’s easier to do it the next time. And the next. And again the next time, until you end up supporting something you never would have otherwise.

The o my way to end the slide is to refuse to continue playing.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

lol that you think those two are the platonic ideal of leftism and the true leftist cult leaders that leftists all mindlessly follow left

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

If you're a president who only got in the office due to the maxim of lesser evilism, then making the next opponent less of a threat only hurts your chances at re-election. It's a materialist conclusion that they won't do that.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 23, 2020

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

unemployed posted:

Edit: And for the record I chose Bernie and AOC as examples that most people would consider to be left-leaning, not because I think you like them.

Amusing that you think it's a "purity test" to be disappointed in a politician that's on the same team as you, as if expecting better of ourselves is an impossible feat.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The Dems have helped rehabilitate the image of every single "greater evil we must vote against" of my lifetime

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zerilan posted:

The Dems have helped rehabilitate the image of every single "greater evil we must vote against" of my lifetime

Exactly.
Dubya actively worked against LGBTQ+ rights, but now he can chill out with Ellen at a ball game like they're best friends, despite the fact that he legitimately hates a fundamental part of her identity and spent 8 years in office trying to stop her from being allowed to marry or have half the rights that I do as a straight white guy.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

If you're a president who only got in the office due to the maxim of lesser evilism, then making the next opponent less of a threat only hurts your chances at re-election. It's a materialist conclusion that they won't do that.

Haha this is a great point that I never considered before. Everything has to be a greater evil than you

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Terror Sweat posted:

Haha this is a great point that I never considered before. Everything has to be a greater evil than you

The truly hilarious irony is that the Republicans have employed the same strategy on the right, with equal or greater amounts of success.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

the_steve posted:

Exactly.
Dubya actively worked against LGBTQ+ rights, but now he can chill out with Ellen at a ball game like they're best friends, despite the fact that he legitimately hates a fundamental part of her identity and spent 8 years in office trying to stop her from being allowed to marry or have half the rights that I do as a straight white guy.

yeah it's hard to take seriously these exhortations when every other time we've heard them the Dems were yukking it up with the Greater Evil like he's their best friend the second he's out of office

Biden will probably be playing footsie with Trump and sharing his jujubees at state events by the middle of his presidency

E: all the twitter people aghast that someone would cast a vote for Howie which is a vote for Trump will be rending their garments over far-left cancel culture when we ask "uh why is President Biden eating ice cream with the fascist racist rapist Russian spy, Donald Trump"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 24, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Complications posted:

The truly hilarious irony is that the Republicans have employed the same strategy on the right, with equal or greater amounts of success.

it functions primarily on a cross party level. during the 2008/2012 election conservatives who wanted to vote for some even farther out there 3rd party candidate were getting pressured to vote for mccain/romney because obama was perceived to be the literal end to the conservative way of life at the time

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

VitalSigns posted:

yeah it's hard to take seriously these exhortations when every other time we've heard them the Dems were yukking it up with the Greater Evil like he's their best friend the second he's out of office

Biden will probably be playing footsie with Trump and sharing his jujubees at state events by the middle of his presidency

Nah, Dubya was easy to rehabilitate because he got out of the public eye. If Trump loses, he'll do everything in his power to remain a fixture in media, pushing his particular brand of saying-the-quiet-parts-out-loud politics, so I think he'll be the exception to the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Falstaff posted:

Nah, Dubya was easy to rehabilitate because he got out of the public eye. If Trump loses, he'll do everything in his power to remain a fixture in media, pushing his particular brand of saying-the-quiet-parts-out-loud politics, so I think he'll be the exception to the rule.

Trump will forever be the Republican that future Republicans will be compared to favourably. "Yes, he expanded the camps, changed the title of President to Fuhrer, and literally shot a child to death on Fifth avenue, but he was always so polite. Not like that boor Trump."