Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Parmenides posted:

Let's steer this back to antiquity. Is there a consensus here on which of the Hellenic peoples was best? I'm talking late 6th, 5th, and early-mid 4th century.

I think we can immediately narrow the race down to two front-runners: Ionians and Dorians. The Achaeans were too insignificant to merit attention, and the Aeolians sadly had their reputation ruined beyond redemption by T****s.

Focusing on Dorians and Ionians, I'm inclined to say that the Dorians should be the favourite. I'd like some input from you guys, though. It's tough to say what makes a people "best"; perhaps we should only focus on individual city-states and leagues for this period. However, here's a general analysis:

Dorians:

- Solid reputation as a brave and reliable people.
- Formed the most powerful city-states and essentially preserved/led the Hellenic world.
- Greatest metaphysical thinkers (Elea is Dorian by Phocaia -> Phocis. Eleatic Philosophers had the best metaphysics.)
- Best Generals (Spartan generals were desired throughout the known world and were the cause of many stunning reversals/victories)
- Best Admirals (Melissus by way of association with Eleatics, and his home state of Samos was associated with Epidauros. Syracuse and Sparta led navies that smashed Athens')
- Most diverse range of city-states; if you love Athens then you can probably make do with places like Syracuse or Corinth. If you love the utopian world of Sparta, though... substitution is probably impossible, but any alternative involves Dorians (Crete).
- By extension, the above point about diversity suggests that they had the most broad-minded law-givers/political theory guys.

Let us also not forget that there was a time when Sparta (Dorians) held the Hellenic world in the palm of her hand, and the Spartans could have genocided the centre of Ionian civilization (Athens). In fact, many city-states begged them to do so. However, in an ultimate act of noble grace and charity, Sparta spared the Athenians. For this reason, everyone who loves the work of people like Plato should maintain a small shrine to Sparta and give regular thanks. Only through the wisdom and consistency of the Spartan people was Athens (and the Hellenic world generally) able to survive and flourish.

source your quotes if you want us to laugh at them

also I think that Corinthian hoplite should be wearing a different shade of red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh crap :agesilaus: re-regged.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

skasion posted:

Pizarro got smoked in his own house by the mestizo son of a man he betrayed and killed over the spoils of their ravages, hard to get more consequential than that

Huh, OK, guess I'm not up on my Pizarro lore. Just remember that Cortez was a mega jerk who died wealthy and powerful. De Soto got killed by the natives in Tennessee and his body was dumped in a swamp.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

does the w*rds w*th st*rs thing come from Twitter? what the f*ck

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Imagine buying a forums account right now

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I assume the T****s is Thebes. So my vote is for Thebes, because pride is every month, if you're brave enough.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I guess that's a bad sign for the "best pre-historic hominid species" bracket then

I vote for homo floresiensis. Small people who hunted small elephants and probably giant rats.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
anyways clearly the best hellenic people were the macedonians

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica

Arglebargle III posted:

source your quotes if you want us to laugh at them

Empty laughter won't add much to the conversation. Is there a particular claim you disagree with? Some can be resolved with a citation, but some require a greater degree of intelligence to appreciate. For example, the claim that Eleatic metaphysics are best - I don't know if you can grasp that. I could cite a translation of Parmenides' fragments, or even cite the works that contain them (start with Simplicius). There are other high-tier Dorian philosophers too, see Empedokles (Acragas).

quote:

also I think that Corinthian hoplite should be wearing a different shade of red

Whatever he wears, he's still a Dorian.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

is this some sort of elaborate troll?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Arglebargle III posted:

is this some sort of elaborate troll?

Shhh if it is or isn't it's more fun to let it play out

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The best hellenics were clearly the Byzantines.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The best were the Assyrians, end of story.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The best hellenics were clearly the Byzantines.

the best hellenics were the ottomans

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
So do we just post :agesilaus: like a snake emoji or a rat emoji?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
:agesilaus: is finally relevant again

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parmenides posted:

Let's steer this back to antiquity. Is there a consensus here on which of the Hellenic peoples was best? I'm talking late 6th, 5th, and early-mid 4th century.

I think we can immediately narrow the race down to two front-runners: Ionians and Dorians. The Achaeans were too insignificant to merit attention, and the Aeolians sadly had their reputation ruined beyond redemption by T****s.

Focusing on Dorians and Ionians, I'm inclined to say that the Dorians should be the favourite. I'd like some input from you guys, though. It's tough to say what makes a people "best"; perhaps we should only focus on individual city-states and leagues for this period. However, here's a general analysis:

Dorians:

- Solid reputation as a brave and reliable people.
- Formed the most powerful city-states and essentially preserved/led the Hellenic world.
- Greatest metaphysical thinkers (Elea is Dorian by Phocaia -> Phocis. Eleatic Philosophers had the best metaphysics.)
- Best Generals (Spartan generals were desired throughout the known world and were the cause of many stunning reversals/victories)
- Best Admirals (Melissus by way of association with Eleatics, and his home state of Samos was associated with Epidauros. Syracuse and Sparta led navies that smashed Athens')
- Most diverse range of city-states; if you love Athens then you can probably make do with places like Syracuse or Corinth. If you love the utopian world of Sparta, though... substitution is probably impossible, but any alternative involves Dorians (Crete).
- By extension, the above point about diversity suggests that they had the most broad-minded law-givers/political theory guys.

Let us also not forget that there was a time when Sparta (Dorians) held the Hellenic world in the palm of her hand, and the Spartans could have genocided the centre of Ionian civilization (Athens). In fact, many city-states begged them to do so. However, in an ultimate act of noble grace and charity, Sparta spared the Athenians. For this reason, everyone who loves the work of people like Plato should maintain a small shrine to Sparta and give regular thanks. Only through the wisdom and consistency of the Spartan people was Athens (and the Hellenic world generally) able to survive and flourish.

They were dumb inbred slaveowning tyrants whose biggest military successes were only enabled by underhanded backstabbing and child murder, OP. They were garbage hypocrites, and the Romans reducing Sparta to a period theme park for drunken tourists was just one of their great accomplishments.

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica

Fly Molo posted:

They were dumb inbred slaveowning tyrants whose biggest military successes were only enabled by underhanded backstabbing and child murder, OP. They were garbage hypocrites, and the Romans reducing Sparta to a period theme park for drunken tourists was just one of their great accomplishments.

Are you talking about the Dorians as a whole, or just Sparta? It sounds like the latter, but your post is complete nonsense so it's hard to tell. There was a Hellenic city whose citizens were notorious for being dumb, underhanded, and dissolute sex offenders, but they weren't Dorians.

If you want to form an opinion of Sparta, you need to read more than just Plutarch's Memes. "Underhand backstabbing and child murder" were not the means by which Sparta established and maintained their impressive society. They weren't "dumb" or "inbred", and their society featured a certain type of slavery that didn't involve large-scale private ownership of labourers. That said, if you have a problem with slavery then you will need to explain your position in more detail, because having different social classes and economic/legal relationships is a feature of every society of note.

Sparta was an extremely high-tier society. This is reflected not only by their achievements, but also by the way that even rival cities were full of Laconisers. The average Spartan citizen had a much better understanding of classical antiquity than anyone in this thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fly Molo posted:

I mean, Romans also owned slaves (and practiced infanticide), and I'm not sure where you get the inbreeding from. But yeah, Sparta wasn't very pleasant for the vast majority of people who lived in it.

Edit: Labeling a society "high-tier" is silly. And regarding Laconisers, even the harshest critics of Sparta will admit they were good at PR.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 23, 2020

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Roman/ancient history: That said, if you have a problem with slavery then you will need to explain your position in more detail,

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Parmenides posted:

Sparta was an extremely high-tier society. This is reflected not only by their achievements, but also by the way that even rival cities were full of Laconisers. The average Spartan citizen had a much better understanding of classical antiquity than anyone in this thread.
Did they realize they were living in antiquity at the time? How foresighted of them... truly, a militant oligarchy we can respect and admire.

Frankly the only bad thing about this gimmick is that you paid for it before Jeff secured the servers, so you probably bought Lowtax a bottle of pills.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The scottish are definitely one of the highest tiers. That's why they're called highlanders.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Parmenides posted:

:agesilaus:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

No, seriously, who the gently caress's gimmick re-reg are you?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The scottish are definitely one of the highest tiers. That's why they're called highlanders.

*chuckling in Peruvian*

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
quick someone do a tier list

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parmenides posted:

Are you talking about the Dorians as a whole, or just Sparta? It sounds like the latter, but your post is complete nonsense so it's hard to tell. There was a Hellenic city whose citizens were notorious for being dumb, underhanded, and dissolute sex offenders, but they weren't Dorians.

If you want to form an opinion of Sparta, you need to read more than just Plutarch's Memes. "Underhand backstabbing and child murder" were not the means by which Sparta established and maintained their impressive society. They weren't "dumb" or "inbred", and their society featured a certain type of slavery that didn't involve large-scale private ownership of labourers. That said, if you have a problem with slavery then you will need to explain your position in more detail, because having different social classes and economic/legal relationships is a feature of every society of note.

lol @ all of this, just lol. Oh for sure, declaring war on your slaves every year is surely the hallmark of an Extremely High-Tier Society. Keep posting, you’re almost there. :allears:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

quick someone do a tier list
S Tier: Every historical society I personally liked, except for
A Tier: The ones that did a little light genocide/slavetaking
B Tier: Allies of above
C Tier: Long-term enemies of above
D Tier: Defeated enemies of above
E Tier: English

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nessus posted:

S Tier: Every historical society I personally liked, except for
A Tier: The ones that did a little light genocide/slavetaking
B Tier: Allies of above
C Tier: Long-term enemies of above
D Tier: Defeated enemies of above
E Tier: English

so I guess no societies are S tier

shame but time for humanity to make room for a species with S tier capabilities

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i wonder what aspect of theban society parmenides has a problem with

:iiam:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Was there ever really any way for the natives of the Americas to not get wiped out? 90+% of them got wiped out by disease without even being aware that White people existed. Even in a perfect world where the Europeans hadn't been genocidal colonizers and instead been pacifist hippies I really don't see how the Native Civilizations could have lasted. Hell even the worst plagues in all of Eurasian history never came close to that level. 1491 has this chapter about the first settlers in North America marveling at all this empty land and wondering why the nearby tribes hadn't settled it, when what they didn't realize was that they had, just that they had all died over the decade or so before they arrived, because the Feral Pigs and Trade Routes had already given them all smallpox and similar.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

so I guess no societies are S tier

shame but time for humanity to make room for a species with S tier capabilities

The only hypothetical S-tier society would be one led by the wisest philosopher of antiquity: Diogenes. :agesilaus:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

galagazombie posted:

Was there ever really any way for the natives of the Americas to not get wiped out? 90+% of them got wiped out by disease without even being aware that White people existed. Even in a perfect world where the Europeans hadn't been genocidal colonizers and instead been pacifist hippies I really don't see how the Native Civilizations could have lasted. Hell even the worst plagues in all of Eurasian history never came close to that level. 1491 has this chapter about the first settlers in North America marveling at all this empty land and wondering why the nearby tribes hadn't settled it, when what they didn't realize was that they had, just that they had all died over the decade or so before they arrived, because the Feral Pigs and Trade Routes had already given them all smallpox and similar.

The only possibility was if the Yupik who went back and forth across the Bering Strait had brought the old world diseases with them long enough before the Europeans arrived that the Americans were able to build up an equivalent level of immunity. In that case I would imagine American colonization would look more like African/Asian, a thin layer of Europeans dominating a native society.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

imagine hating thebes but idolizing sparta

there may be an aspect of spartan male society you are not aware of, parmenides

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I suspect even a moderately higher level of baseline resistance to smallpox etc. would have made an immense difference. I'm not sure there would have been successful European domination in these contexts. In some regions perhaps but it seems like you would not have had a situation where Cortes knocks over an entire ancient civilization and produces giant wagonloads of silver.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The best Greeks were the ones who lived in the bright, gentle, civilizing glow of the Persian Empire. Asia Minor was where all the real wealth and cities were and true civilization was to be found. Who gives a poo poo about few ragged, bloodthirsty semibarbarians clinging precariously to a craggy infertile peninsula, gnawing at each other over scraps??

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 24, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Parmenides posted:

The average Spartan citizen had a much better understanding of classical antiquity than anyone in this thread.

I mean, not for nothing, but I've got a much better understanding of 21st century America than any ancient Spartan. I'd say the ancient Spartans probably had a better opportunity to learn about classical antiquity than I do, in that I have to read a book, and they just had to go outside.....

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
more like shartan

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Athens and Constantinople pale in comparison to *checks notes* an agrarian slave society that declined after barely more than a century of relevance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmenides
Jul 22, 2020

by Pragmatica

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No, seriously, who the gently caress's gimmick re-reg are you?

I am just a humble forums-goer, promoting respect for Hellenic and Chinese antiquity.

Fly Molo posted:

lol @ all of this, just lol. Oh for sure, declaring war on your slaves every year is surely the hallmark of an Extremely High-Tier Society. Keep posting, you’re almost there. :allears:

Again, you need to broaden your education beyond Plutarch's Memes. At this rate you may as well cite the movie 300.

Fly Molo posted:

The only hypothetical S-tier society would be one led by the wisest philosopher of antiquity: Diogenes. :agesilaus:

See above; Diogenes of Sinope is a fictional character and his whole mythology is the product of small-minded Romans. If even half the stories about him were true, he would have been arrested and executed by the Eleven within about ten seconds of arriving in Athens.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The best Greeks were the ones who lived in the bright, gentle, civilizing glow of the Persian Empire. Asia Minor was where all the real wealth and cities were and true civilization was to be found. Who gives a poo poo about few ragged, bloodthirsty semibarbarians clinging precariously to a craggy infertile peninsula, gnawing at each other over scraps??

There is a tiny fragment of truth to be found here. The colonies in the east did host some of the greatest intellectual developments in human history. Of course, people like Thales pre-date the Persian conquest of Lydia and Ionia, and much of what you say is just rude and unfair.

Jazerus posted:

thebes Thebes THEBES

If you're a Theban Sympathiser, just come out and admit it. What part of "spartan male society" do you think I'm forgetting, and why do you think Thebes is anything other than contemptible? I can discuss Thebes if people here like that city, but I had hoped to discuss the better people of Hellas rather than the very worst.