Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Eej posted:

Vermintide was fun because Skaven are goofy. Chaos cultists are not funny! So I really hope they figure some other way of injecting some levity.

Shoulda been Orktide

'Greentide' was right there and they didn't take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I will like to amend that if it's Chaos Undivided or they're straight up a Poxwalker infestation then we'll get Nurglings who are funny and cute so that might be ok

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Buncha people in this thread did not play Vermintide 2, where Chaos Marauders are one of the enemy factions and you fight a shitload of them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Eej posted:

Vermintide was fun because Skaven are goofy. Chaos cultists are not funny! So I really hope they figure some other way of injecting some levity.

I'm pretty sure those were Poxwalkers, who are the chillest guys to fight for Papa Nurgle since his Carnival of Chaos toured Mordheim.

They're all smiles, and genuinely don't get why you'd rather be a square than just, like, hey take your shoes off, pet a nurgling, roll around in these spores man.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

Shoulda been Orktide

Disagreed @ chaos not being funny. Khornates are the quintessential cliche of Warhammer ("KILL KILL RGGGGH"), Tzeentchians are an entire culture of heavily-mutated guys who frequently own themselves and then go "all according to plan", Nurgle is the patron god of jovial slobs who has toxic farts and vomit, and Slaanesh is (among all the serious obsessive pride stuff) the god of partying and sadomasochism to the point that it's a whole bit that Khorne can't truly own Slaanesh because he/they'd just get off on it.

Chaos can totally be funny.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bagrada posted:

I don't remember L4D having a versus mode but I did see Fatshark has been working on one for Vermintide 2. One side will play as monsters or something. With all the Tencent money they can add new classes to VT2, work on the pvp mode, and start this new game I guess.

Yes, you could play as the Humans or the zombies - the Smoker, Boomer and... the...other 2....? and tried to kill the people before they get to the safe house. It was a lot of fun.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Play a few games with your Triarchs before you attach their arms and see what you like the most. In a casual game as long as you tell your opponent what they’re armed with it shouldn’t be an issue.

That would have been a good idea. I’m keeping the spruces though and will probably just take the weapons off at one point and magnetize them. As that seems to be a good idea.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Sab669 posted:

Yes, you could play as the Humans or the zombies - the Smoker, Boomer and... the...other 2....? and tried to kill the people before they get to the safe house. It was a lot of fun.

I loved playing the old guy, and I bound his laugh to the melee button so you'd just hear this old man wheezing every time I clubbed a zombie with my shotgun. Also, the Tourette's Guy mod for the tank was awesome. You'd just hear "Where's my pants..." off in the distance.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Disagreed @ chaos not being funny. Khornates are the quintessential cliche of Warhammer ("KILL KILL RGGGGH"), Tzeentchians are an entire culture of heavily-mutated guys who frequently own themselves and then go "all according to plan", Nurgle is the patron god of jovial slobs who has toxic farts and vomit, and Slaanesh is (among all the serious obsessive pride stuff) the god of partying and sadomasochism to the point that it's a whole bit that Khorne can't truly own Slaanesh because he/they'd just get off on it.

Chaos can totally be funny.

This is more like meta commentary on Chaos itself than how it's portrayed in universe. Khornate demons and worshippers don't get "hee hee look how corny they are yelling about kill kill kill" in the text that's just us looking at them from the outside about how ridiculous they are.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Left 4 Dead was amazing and I hope this can live up to it. I'm ready to grab my lasgun and get wrecked.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Eej posted:

"hee hee look how corny they are yelling about kill kill kill"

*Khorney

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

JBP posted:

Left 4 Dead was amazing and I hope this can live up to it. I'm ready to grab my lasgun and get wrecked.

I like the guy holding the Plasma walking around all cocky-like, as if that'll save him from the tide

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
If anyone wants to see how cool a bunch of guardsmen vs Zombies can be you need to read the novel Cadian Blood. It's a great story.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

This is more like meta commentary on Chaos itself than how it's portrayed in universe. Khornate demons and worshippers don't get "hee hee look how corny they are yelling about kill kill kill" in the text that's just us looking at them from the outside about how ridiculous they are.

Descriptions of Nurgle (and by extension his daemons, which are a part of his soul) often stress that he's a jovial figure ("Grandfather Nurgle") who views plagues as blessings and whose followers are often joyful about their horrific plights. He's absolutely characterized as a "funny fat guy", which aligns with the comfortable stagnation and nihilism he represents. Nurglings are like, totally goofy. There are official WFRP adventures that treat them as comic relief enemies.

Likewise, the Skaven are absolutely a terrifying existential threat to civilization in Fantasy and written to be (they're basically the winners of the End Times), they're just also goofy.

I think maybe the disconnect we're having is that Fantasy itself is less straight-faced most of the time than 40k.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Hoping its written like Vermintide.

Like half the fun is the characters giving eachother poo poo over the course of a mission.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Descriptions of Nurgle (and by extension his daemons, which are a part of his soul) often stress that he's a jovial figure ("Grandfather Nurgle") who views plagues as blessings and whose followers are often joyful about their horrific plights. He's absolutely characterized as a "funny fat guy", which aligns with the comfortable stagnation and nihilism he represents. Nurglings are like, totally goofy. There are official WFRP adventures that treat them as comic relief enemies.

Likewise, the Skaven are absolutely a terrifying existential threat to civilization in Fantasy and written to be (they're basically the winners of the End Times), they're just also goofy.

I think maybe the disconnect we're having is that Fantasy itself is less straight-faced most of the time than 40k.

Oh yeah I know all about Nurgle, Nurglings, GUOs, Beasts of Nurgle etc. It's the other parts of Chaos that don't strike me as something that can just make you laugh out loud in the middle of the Grimness

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
special appearance by DOOMRIDER

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think the guys in the trailer might be prologue redshirts, because the title art shows four unique, individualized figures, each of which more obviously fall into a particular role.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So Ogryn, Guardsman, Admech and ???

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I hope the hooded/cloaked figure is a ratling. it'll probably be a primaris psyker but a ministorum priest could own a lot too

I hope if one of the character is just "guardsman" he's played as completely in over his head and just loving miserable lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 24, 2020

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Improbable Lobster posted:

special appearance by DOOMRIDER

do it, cowards

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Babe Magnet posted:

I hope if one of the character is just "guardsman" he's played as completely in over his head and just loving miserable lol
I expect him to be the Kruber analogue.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My pre-orders have tracking numbers now.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Mine shipped from the FLGS I ordered it from, which is nice because I was sort of worried I’d get a notification my order was cancelled due to lack of stock on Saturday instead.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Indomitus being snap fit is so nice, I'll have the Necrons done in a couple hours.

Speaking of, Reapers or Flayers?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I hope the elf analogue is a commissar so you can just directly kill your teammates instead of doing it passive-aggressively

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

bagrada posted:

I don't remember L4D having a versus mode

One team played the survivors, the other spawned as various Special Infected. Sides switched after every round. Whichever team got the most points (so got the furthest through the level with the most life) won.

The main problem was that the infected team needed to be insanely coordinated to even have a chance of slowing down a good survivor team. Stagger your spawns and the survivors could just roll on through you. Focus fire could also melt a Tank, leading to the best strategy being to hide and throw rocks until you get a Boomer spawn.

I both loved and hated it, but it was an incredible game to play with goons.

RIP Goons4Dead

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

One team played the survivors, the other spawned as various Special Infected. Sides switched after every round. Whichever team got the most points (so got the furthest through the level with the most life) won.

The main problem was that the infected team needed to be insanely coordinated to even have a chance of slowing down a good survivor team. Stagger your spawns and the survivors could just roll on through you. Focus fire could also melt a Tank, leading to the best strategy being to hide and throw rocks until you get a Boomer spawn.

I both loved and hated it, but it was an incredible game to play with goons.

RIP Goons4Dead

The impression I always got there was that it wasn't meant to be evenly balanced -- the Survivors' goal was to win the match, while the Infected's goal was to have fun tossing obstacles in the Survivors' way. 'Swhy the switchoff, so each team would have a chance to play the side with the advantage.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Stephenls posted:

The impression I always got there was that it wasn't meant to be evenly balanced -- the Survivors' goal was to win the match, while the Infected's goal was to have fun tossing obstacles in the Survivors' way. 'Swhy the switchoff, so each team would have a chance to play the side with the advantage.

Yeah it was definitely less about winning and more about creating a fun experience for whoever is the survivor group that round.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ijyt posted:

Yeah it was definitely less about winning and more about creating a fun experience for whoever is the survivor group that round.

It practice it was about playing "I just died in your arms tonight" over HLDJ as the last survivor was mauled to death by a hunter.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Any uk goons order indomitus from goblin gaming? It still says on my order that they are waiting for stock to arrive :ohdear:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It is supposed to ship tomorrow or be delivered tomorrow? My order with GW is still showing as pending

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

ijyt posted:

This is how I view collecting Orks and Tyranids for 40k and why I cannot get quite so invested in worrying about game balance. Beyond like, the units I want to use models for being passable and the overall metagame within the community not being too toxic or lopsided I'm only so worried about what wins tournaments. I mean I really do have an interest in competitive play but ultimately I paint and collect the little guys based on what I like model/lore wise. I can't afford to have entirely separate narrative play and tournament armies, and the idea of having to assemble and paint models I don't even like just because they're meta is like the antithesis of why I even enjoy the hobby anyway. Maybe I've been a GM too long but the idea of playing a game just to provide an interesting experience for everyone and not just to win seems really rewarding to me, but it does not seem all that generally popular in the 40k community I've run into.

I really need to find a narrative play group.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I definitely feel you on that, narrative campaigns spanning multiple sessions, outcomes effecting the next mission type, gimmicks such as having to take out anti-air or the next missions turns from getting support to Blackhawk Down is what got me into the game in the first place.

Netlists and min maxing just saps the fun out of a game for me every time, tabletop or videogame. Dead by Daylight for example was great fun until my friends went tryhard as the survivors instead of trying to get immersed and spooked.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I like playing competitively but I've always loved the idea of actually playing a campaign on a map and adding a wider layer of strategy to the game.

Every time I've tried to arrange it though people have flaked out.

So now I'm trying to arranger a crusade campaign and I'm going to keep it simple as possible. A campaign GM to arrange the matches, and at the end of each round, there will be a bigger multiplayer game which is the culmination of all the matches that just happened.

Matgash
Apr 25, 2008

Know no fear!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Any uk goons order indomitus from goblin gaming? It still says on my order that they are waiting for stock to arrive :ohdear:

Didnt Goblin have an issue with their web site that resulted in them massively over selling on their allocation?.... :ohdear:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jesus WEP posted:

It is supposed to ship tomorrow or be delivered tomorrow? My order with GW is still showing as pending

When I've preordered shut from GW before it's shipped in release date.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Got my Indomitus box in the post from my FLGS! :toot:

And I got furloughed for two weeks so hopefully I can actually get it all put together and maybe even painted in a reasonable timeframe!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dam that's late to get furloughed. This is the first full week I've been back in the office and its been so torturous I've already booked a week off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

jesus WEP posted:

Did you ship to store or ship to you? I've got a preorder shipped to store that's already arrived, and the package going to me is still in pending status. I'm in the US.