Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

It's crazy to think that years ago before he knew him, Tom used to sort of smack talk Maron and now they are BFFs.

I dunno, I don’t think it’s so crazy. Tom drags a lot of show business people of various types on TBS. It’s my main theory of why he wasn’t getting much work for a while despite writing for a very successful show previously in Monk. Is he mostly just riffing when he does it? Sure, but it’s a notoriously petty business and it’s pretty noticeable how a lot of successful people will pretty much refuse to say anything bad about another creator unless they were like outed as a sex offender or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sometimes I wonder if Mark knows that he was at one point the butt of the joke on TBS in the same way Chapo Trap House is now.

It's not like it was particularly hostile or anything, just Tom's usual "Why aren't people who aren't as good as me more popular" bit ,but I remember around 2013 he complained about WTF being lame a lot for months, and then like a year later there was the Mark and Tom show lol.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 23, 2020

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Iirc Marc Maron was on TBS before 2013. I just say that because I started listening to TBS in 2010 and WTF around the same time. I moved to Japan in 2013 and very much remember Maron being on while I was kind of just hanging around Indianapolis not really doing anything the couple years before I moved. Could be wrong though. It was a time full of being on auto-pilot in various ways

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't remember the exact dates I just remember it was shortly before he met Maron and had him call into the show for the first time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

veni veni veni posted:

I don't remember the exact dates I just remember it was shortly before he met Maron and had him call into the show for the first time.

I find it kinda doubtful that was the first time they met, they had to have been running close to the same circles of people in the 90s/2000s NYC comedy scene.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Do people forget that Tom on the show is playing a character?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

I find it kinda doubtful that was the first time they met, they had to have been running close to the same circles of people in the 90s/2000s NYC comedy scene.

There's an entire class of people that Tom makes fun of because he's friends with them or admires them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Weembles posted:

There's an entire class of people that Tom makes fun of because he's friends with them or admires them.

his feud with PFT being the world's longest running joke

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Been listening for 15 years, I'm pretty sure I have a handle on Tom's schtick. No, in this case it was clearly a Vampire Weekend situation where later he later became friends with someone he liked to goof on.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

his feud with PFT being the world's longest running joke

That's how you know that someone has actually gotten to him - when he just stops talking about them completely.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

still waiting for someone to talk about how successful pft is on one of those make tom mad shows

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think anyone would have the balls lol.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

It would be mean to the point of being unfunny.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tom doesn't seem like he deals well with people hitting below the belt. When Nathan fielder called him fat you could tell he was actually sort of offended and trying to hide it.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Good on Tom for finding a new squeeze per his and her instagrams. I figured that he and Terre T split up some time ago.

Quality Tom/Dog content: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEh3LmTjb_S/?igshid=1fnkdkewlfgrv

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yeah, I noticed the Instagram stuff. If he’s staying out in LA permanently I wonder how it will affect TBS. Hell, I wonder if he even wants to come back to it.

Looking at the recent Instagram stuff I did notice that Tom seems to have lost a bunch of weight. He looks good!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny how you can listen to someone for years, decades to the point where you feel like you actually know them, but Tom is such a private dude that no one really knows much about his personal life. The fact that he used a fake name for his dog on the air because he didn't want listeners knowing his dogs real name says a lot about him lol.

Crazy he went through a divorce or seperation and never even hinted at it, but it's not really surprising either.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Good on Tom for finding a new squeeze per his and her instagrams. I figured that he and Terre T split up some time ago.

Quality Tom/Dog content: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEh3LmTjb_S/?igshid=1fnkdkewlfgrv

Good for him but oof Julia Vickerman had some trouble following her around a year a go

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

fez_machine posted:

Good for him but oof Julia Vickerman had some trouble following her around a year a go

I looked this up and yikes!

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Radical posted:

I looked this up and yikes!

I'm lazy. Give me info.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
She made some blog post about being horny for a 14 year old boy she saw at a fair including following him around. Which is weird enough on its own but she also works on children’s cartoons.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh. That's nothing. I thought it was something weighty.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

inferis posted:

Do people forget that Tom on the show is playing a character?

I think it's less playing a character and more exaggerating himself

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

NotNut posted:

I think it's less playing a character and more exaggerating himself

That's a character

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Trying to comfortably put into a box what Tom does on air is dumb. He'll ham it up for comedy's sake, but it's not like he's being insincere all of the time either. TBS is his world, he knows that, and he kind of just does whatever he wants and as a listener you just need to know how to roll with the punches.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I'd really love to hear the backstory behind this:

https://twitter.com/APMike/status/1306616623911055360?s=20

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I've been really enjoying Double Threat but hoooooly poo poo Forever Dog stuffs a ton of commercials in there

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Binowru posted:

I've been really enjoying Double Threat but hoooooly poo poo Forever Dog stuffs a ton of commercials in there

The key ad was the one at the top of today's show for their $5.00 a month ad-free stream.

It's rubbing me the wrong way, tbh.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Binowru posted:

They're all 30 or 60 (or 90 or 120...) seconds and thankfully I can just fast forward with a button on my headphones but i do find myself missing the listener supported aspect of the best show.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

quote:

Everyone -

Thank you for your patience with me. I apologize for not being as vocal as I would've liked to have been on this platform.

I have been buried writing this book but the good news it I am finished with the latest draft. The book was without a doubt the hardest thing I have ever done in my professional life and one of the hardest things in any capacity. It took so much out of me but I'm extremely proud of it and according to the handful of people that have read it, it's THE BEST BOOK THAT HAS EVER BEEN WRITTEN.

All kidding aside, it's funny and more than just funny. I worked as hard as I could to make it special and I'm excited for it to come out next year so you can all see what I was blathering about.

I also spent the last month working on a video for the band the Postal Service. We made a sequel to the "Postal Service Auditions" video from seven years ago, but this time the goal was to promote effective voting. We got a lot of people to contribute their time and talent in the name of a good cause. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkF-Njy3Te8&feature=youtu.be !

Now that these things are relatively under control, here's the news in a nutshell:

1) The Best Show will come back in October. It is time. I am currently figuring out studio stuff and hardware stuff so we can do it right. But it's coming back. Thanks for being patient. I have a lot I want to accomplish with it!

2) SO FAR, etc: The bonus shows will happen Probably the CSNY one first, but we will see. I know I dropped the ball with this stuff but all I can say is that the pressure of the book combined with real world horrors and personal things made the act of doing The Best Show difficult. But I still believe in it and I will continue to do it. Thanks again for the patience.

3) Donations: As I said, I am not keeping any of the money that the Patreon brought in while there were no new Best Shows. I have been donating money to a variety of charities over the last couple months and I will list them on the page over the next week or so. The info is all over the place so I want to get it right. Hang tight and know that I don't take your donations for granted. The money will either go to The Best Show or it will get put to work helping people.

4) Double Threat: I am doing a podcast with Julie Klausner on the Forever Dog network called DOUBLE THREAT. It has been fun and it helped me hold onto my sanity while I figured out all things book and Best Show. Double Threat is going to continue and it will be a brother/sister to The Best Show.

Thanks again for the support and caring and kind words. And remember IT IS CALLED THE BEST SHOW FOR A REASON.

Peace and love, peace and love -

Tom

https://youtu.be/nNrSISR8o2E

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Legit excited for this. Has he ever said what the book's about? Is it autobiographical?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
It’s autobiographical. The book description I saw on Amazon (maybe? I don’t remember) was a doozie

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i got interested and looked it up:

https://twitter.com/scharpling/status/1086329395181084673

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Oh the one I saw was from Good Reads and it talked about Tom being put in a mental institution and getting electroshock therapy. I looked it up again and the description has changed. :shrug:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Dr.Radical posted:

Oh the one I saw was from Good Reads and it talked about Tom being put in a mental institution and getting electroshock therapy. I looked it up again and the description has changed. :shrug:

i would also really like to read that, to be fair

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dr.Radical posted:

Those were the auditions for The New Monkees

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i'm really excited to hear that the best show is going to continue. i can't blame tom for not wanting to do it over the past several months but i've been listening for ~ ten years now and the show has gotten me through some rough times and it's one of the few things that can still warm my cold dark heart these days

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Huh, just finished the new Borat and it was directed by Jason Woliner.

I’ve talked to the director of Borat 2 on the best show facebook multiple times. I am a super star.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Huh, just finished the new Borat and it was directed by Jason Woliner.

I’ve talked to the director of Borat 2 on the best show facebook multiple times. I am a super star.

Jason Woliner's a guest on the latest episode of Hamburger Men and when they ask him if he wants to plug something, he goes, "Nope!" He's the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Was laughing very hard today remembering how AV Club's Podmass used to divide the week's podcasts into The Best and The Rest, and Tom's reaction to Best Show being repeatedly put into The Rest.

Also then a Wurster call where he said that Tom had been put into 'The Rest of the Rest'.