Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

CareyB posted:

I wonder if picking new cultures will be first come first served, so you might not always get the culture you’d want/be best for you.

This was confirmed by one of the previewers linked earlier in the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aksumites confirmed as being prequel Morgan Industries :10bux:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Globalist seems like odd and ahistorical terminology. Surely there's a better term for that.

https://www.pcgamer.com/humankind-game-release-date-trailer-everything-we-know/

quote:

Some of these decisions – like the army composition one, as you see in the image above – enable you to pass a law by spending a Civics point, unlocking a permanent buff (conscription means 20% cheaper units, while professionalism means +1 stronger troops), while others, like dividing by zero, steer you down short event chains that might help or hinder your empire on the world map. All decisions will, however, nudge your empire along one of four different sliders that represent your outlook. These are geopolitics (nationalist vs globalist), economics (individualist vs collectivist), politics (authoritarian vs liberal), and culture (traditionalist vs progressive). Each slider confers a buff of some kind, which gets stronger at its extremes: a more authoritarian government gets more FIMS (food, industry, money, science) yields on the capital, while a liberal one gets more FIMS on cities without an administrator – the obvious choice if you’re playing ‘wide’, in strategy parlance.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Maybe isolationist vs interventionist, or tribal vs cosmopolitan?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

Maybe isolationist vs interventionist, or tribal vs cosmopolitan?

Nationalist is fine. It's globalist that sounds like it's from a Ben Garrison cartoon.

Cosmopolitan sounds good, but that also has been tainted a bit by an older generation of far right cranks.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nationalist is fine. It's globalist that sounds like it's from a Ben Garrison cartoon.

Cosmopolitan sounds good, but that also has been tainted a bit by an older generation of far right cranks.

In that case, maybe multilateralist? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multilateralism

It’s essentially the global politics version of working together through multilateral treaties but it’s what most people rail against when they cry about (((globalists))) like the UN and EU, except without the years if abuse by right-wing pundits

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I like cosmopolitan.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Funny how different words strike different tones with different people. I've never even heard of cosmopolitan outside of a positive context. And despite what wikipedia says, I've also rarely heard it deployed in an international relations context but rather mostly to describe cities/cultures.

I'd guess 'internationalism' is probably the clearest pair to nationalism, but it's a bit of a mouthful. I can see why they'd use globalism. It's probably a term less tainted in the Francophone world.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Also possible it’s just an odd translation since the game is being developed in French

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I can confirm that Marine Lepen etc use “globaliste” much like right wingers in the Anglosphere do, antisemitic connotations included. But maybe it’s less common in France than on the internet and it’s still a dogwhistle most people don’t pick up

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Globalisation is a perfectly normal word to describe the increase in social/economic relationships between far-off parts of the world over the past hundreds of years. I haven't seen the specific word 'globalist' around much. Internationalist is probably better if you need an opposite of nationalist.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jeza posted:

Funny how different words strike different tones with different people. I've never even heard of cosmopolitan outside of a positive context. And despite what wikipedia says, I've also rarely heard it deployed in an international relations context but rather mostly to describe cities/cultures.

I'd guess 'internationalism' is probably the clearest pair to nationalism, but it's a bit of a mouthful. I can see why they'd use globalism. It's probably a term less tainted in the Francophone world.

I personally like the word cosmopolitan, but it was used in an extremely antisemitic context in the 1st half of the 20th century.

Internationalist could work

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The problem with the word "globalism" is that it is being applied to civilizations that are not yet able to circumnavigate the globe, or even know for certain that the world is round (yes I'm aware that it was determined indirectly quite early in history but still). The idea of anything at all being "global" in the early stages of history sounds kind of absurd to me. Presumably it just means "cares about their neighbors" which is almost always going to be much more local than "global".

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Charlz Guybon posted:

I personally like the word cosmopolitan, but it was used in an extremely antisemitic context in the 1st half of the 20th century.

Honestly never knew that, very interesting. I guess globalist has just filled that niche.

Clarste posted:

The problem with the word "globalism" is that it is being applied to civilizations that are not yet able to circumnavigate the globe, or even know for certain that the world is round (yes I'm aware that it was determined indirectly quite early in history but still). The idea of anything at all being "global" in the early stages of history sounds kind of absurd to me. Presumably it just means "cares about their neighbors" which is almost always going to be much more local than "global".

Even nationalism suffers from the same issue though. To be congruent throughout all of history, I guess you'd have to take Deltasquid's isolationist vs interventionist angle. But even then, interventionist has a pretty loaded bent to it. It's more of an inward/outward looking geopolitical division. I can't think of any neutral word that wholly captures the idea of wanting to interact with the world at large that works as a good pair to isolationist though.

This is a weird rabbit hole.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

True.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Clearly, the appropriate terms would be Juche vs Trotskyist.

More seriously, I'd just go with Open vs Closed. Yes I know "Closed Society" can be taken instead to mean one where there's little freedom, but I think if it's two points on a slider labelled "Geopolitics" it's relatively clear in meaning without the somewhat difficult implications of "globalist" or "cosmopolitan" and without the anachronistic "nationalist".

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I think I'd go with isolationism vs diplomacy, personally, since isolationists generally don't engage in diplomacy. :v:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
This whole debate what to call axises in politics got old way back when it was happening in Stellaris thread years ago

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pyromancer posted:

This whole debate what to call axises in politics got old way back when it was happening in Stellaris thread years ago

Haha I was thinking the same thing. Individualist vs collectivist debates for pages upon pages.

Edit: in all seriousness, I understand from previewers that you get stronger bonuses as you get closer to the extremes/further from the center. I fear this might make decisions no-brainers once you’ve picked one side of the axis to reach, much like paragon/renegade split in mass effect

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 14, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Deltasquid posted:

Haha I was thinking the same thing. Individualist vs collectivist debates for pages upon pages.

Edit: in all seriousness, I understand from previewers that you get stronger bonuses as you get closer to the extremes/further from the center. I fear this might make decisions no-brainers once you’ve picked one side of the axis to reach, much like paragon/renegade split in mass effect

Maybe that's intentional, to create an extra bit of long-term continuity. You can't plan on which sequence of civs you'll play, but you can choose to go for a collective globalist game or whatever.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTkSHa5-8zI

:stare:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I miss the Amplitude that made animated trailers with outstanding music and kickass cinematography.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
does anyone want a marketing job?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Jesus.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
This is the worst marketing I have seen since Dragon Age II.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm not sure if these are so bad they have to be posted in the thread, or so bad they mustn't

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1285250684032634882

Either way, i hope you're all excited for wednesday!!!!

(seriously this is the worst marketing i've seen for any game, let alone a triple A title like this one)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
...Amplitude is a AAA studio now? What?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh isn't it? I don't actually know.

(i tried to look it up but there barely seems to be a definition, so pretend i said single-A instead)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The marketing for this game is pretty dire, which is surprising because their marketing for ES2 was pretty decent to my memory.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Yeah, but then ES2 ended up playing like ES2. Maybe this is a good sign.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1286301399316389890

New info.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I hate their stupid "i'm talking off camera to an interviewer like i'm the god damned president" format. Cmon we all know you're talking to a hatstand.

Key takeaways:

* Events (TheHumanCrouton's favourite thing) give you choices which may have immediate effects and can also shift your society's Civics
* you have 4 civics which each exist on an axis between two extremes, each conferring its own bonus

Nothing we didn't already know to be honest.

I do like the mechanic though, at least it doesn't seem to be cribbing from Civ games (and indeed, I've often thought that I want to see a sort of "political compass" style civic selection mechanic in civ, so this is exciting)

Anyway, I can't finish my post without this horrid thing:

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1286330333026234369

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Amplitude posted:

there are nine more weeks of this

oh no

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Their marketing department might not be in AAA but it definitely is in AA. Or at least needs to be.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1283076344448987137

https://mobile.twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1285605805937561601

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

These temple temples, also commonly known as temples, were temples where they worshipped stuff.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

not sure if i would consider feudal japan the early modern era :raise:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Early modern is roughly 1500-1700, so yeah, that's Tokugawa era. But that's the usual problem with applying European periods globally.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

The White Dragon posted:

not sure if i would consider feudal japan the early modern era :raise:

From what I understand, 'feudal Japan' is more the Sengoku Jidai (and the period leading up to it) than the Tokugawa Shogunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, this is directly after the era of local warlords, when someone finally managed to unify the nation.

Still pretty feudal though.