Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

While Black Manta really hating Aquaman is a good direction, making a character commit casual nonsensical murders is lazy writing.

Much better is having him murder aquaman infant child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

bobkatt013 posted:

Much better is having him murder aquaman infant child

This was actually meaningful though? Also a hugely underrated story that most readers just don't believe happened.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

FilthyImp posted:

In the scene where Mera unlocks some Atlantean doodad, she uses a bead of sweat to provide the water needed for it to kick into gear.

Aquamomoa goes "I could have just peed on it"

Aw come on like YOU weren't thinking that too. We all were.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Siegkrow posted:

Aw come on like YOU weren't thinking that too. We all were.
I would have licked it!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

oh gently caress right off Tynion. "People SAY they don't want another Joker story but they don't know what they want so here comes another loving Joker story"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 24, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
"It's up to me to peel back the surface of this tired old Joker story, to vivisect the flesh from its bones and show the truth pulsing beneath. I will do this by giving him a different girlfriend and furthermore a guy with a mummy face will have epaulets."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Three Jokers ended up being moved to Black Label at least, Johns is writing it which is idk, but I guess "Joker War" was just too interesting to pass up

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I still can't get over Three Jokers seeming like one of those ideas I would have at 3am and think that it's brilliant at the time, only for me to wake up later and wonder what on earth I was thinking.

I feel like a really refreshing Joker story at this point would be one where he just wants to rob a bank or something, not take over Gotham or murder millions or cut off his own face or be an unstoppable force of chaos or any of that stuff.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It's really kind of remarkable how much shoe leather put out just to get to the point of JOKER HAS ALL THE MONEY, BATMAN HAS NONE. And those clowns in Washington and the lamestream media won't say anything about it!

I'm sure there's an interesting story to tell about a supervillain takeover of Wayne Enterprises (there have been at least a couple solid ones about Stark Enterprises) but this sort of "well the Joker is literally carving giant joker smiles on the sides of skyscrapers and sending in clown goons to machine gun accounting departments into submission, but :decorum: and some fancy lawyers prevent anyone from questioning that this is just a boring Joker-free corporate takeover" is not it.

Also Joker can make and control zombies now, I guess?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There are definitely a few villains who'd be at the top of the list in having a take over of Wayne Enterprises be interesting, but Joker is about at the same place as Clayface and Man-Bat in terms of interesting stories. Hush has ostensibly done it once already for a short period, but obviously not up to the full potential. Riddler would definitely be up there as an interesting arc. Same with any of the al-Ghuls though it'd seem superfluous given their own stockpile of assets. Bane would've been good if not for the fact that King just did a story where he took over Gotham. The Penguin might be an interesting one, but I feel like stories about old Gotham family stuff is just very tired at this point. Any other interesting villains doing it would be from someone outside Batman's Rogue's gallery like Luthor maybe

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
Didn't Batman Beyond have that as part of the set-up?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Didn't Batman Beyond have that as part of the set-up?

Yeah, Bruce was forced out of power in his company after it merged with another and became Wayne-Powers Enterprises. But Derek Powers wasn't a villain until after that happened.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Darth Nat posted:

I still can't get over Three Jokers seeming like one of those ideas I would have at 3am and think that it's brilliant at the time, only for me to wake up later and wonder what on earth I was thinking.

I feel like a really refreshing Joker story at this point would be one where he just wants to rob a bank or something, not take over Gotham or murder millions or cut off his own face or be an unstoppable force of chaos or any of that stuff.

Yeah I just want a Christmas with the Joker story with him. Where there are elaborate death traps and clues to send him all around, and when the Joker has the upper hand he gets Batman to get a pie to the face.

I guess I really just want the animated series version.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And the most recent Batgirl had... wait for it... JOKER COMING TO HER APARTMENT IT IS LIKE THE KILLING JOKE YOU GUYS.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Detective Issue this week would have been 10 times better if they had been restrained and just had like one panel of the Joker. But he is on like every other page, and all that I want is a decent Two Face story...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

There are definitely a few villains who'd be at the top of the list in having a take over of Wayne Enterprises be interesting, but Joker is about at the same place as Clayface and Man-Bat in terms of interesting stories. Hush has ostensibly done it once already for a short period, but obviously not up to the full potential. Riddler would definitely be up there as an interesting arc. Same with any of the al-Ghuls though it'd seem superfluous given their own stockpile of assets. Bane would've been good if not for the fact that King just did a story where he took over Gotham. The Penguin might be an interesting one, but I feel like stories about old Gotham family stuff is just very tired at this point. Any other interesting villains doing it would be from someone outside Batman's Rogue's gallery like Luthor maybe

It would make sense for Black Mask to do it. He got powers from Luthor recently that lets him change his mask into other faces.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This was kind of a subplot in Morrison's run when Bruce went all Zur en Arh and such but it was just kind of treated like a hanging thread that went away

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Dawgstar posted:

And the most recent Batgirl had... wait for it... JOKER COMING TO HER APARTMENT IT IS LIKE THE KILLING JOKE YOU GUYS.

I'm still not sure what to think about that issue. I get that the point was "look, this time Babs was in control the whole time." but like, you could just not go back to that well, it's cool.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Also Babs is apparently going back to Oracle, at least for a while. Also Cass is in her Batgirl costume! :toot:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I always liked Barbara Gordon as Oracle. She is fine as Batgirl, but it isn't like there are not a dozen other Batman equivalents in Gotham. So one more person throwing punches isn't helpful,vbut a smart person overseeing operations is more interesting.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Steph also has the batsymbol, and I think the one with the bo staff is Tim? That's not his Drake costume.

Glad they're finally dropping the whole Ric Grayson thing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah it's nice to see Steph and Cass both in the Batgirl outfits. And Nightwing back with hopefully no more Ric poo poo.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My favorite part of the DC world was the 2000s. What do I need to read to get up to speed/enjoy DC now? I have Universe.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think the DC: Rebirth one-shot and subsequent titles are a pretty good place to start, and then after which it'll depend on which corner of the universe you're most attached to. Everything? Batman? Superman? Green Lanterns? Teen Titans? (you poor soul :()

It might be a little difficult to recapture the feeling of coherency and cohesiveness that the DCU had back in the 2000s because the current DCU honestly feels a bit adrift and uncertain about what it wants to be, and with Dan DiDio being recently unseated and coronavirus slowing everything down.

He's not hugely popular around these parts, but I'd say that Scott Snyder's Dark Nights: Metal event was a big love letter to 2000s DCU, in a sort of self-deprecating, self-aware, look-ma-I'm-nerdy-hardcore! kind of way. It leads directly to the No Justice miniseries, and then a large run on the Justice League title itself, and finally to the Dark Nights: Death Metal event that's happening now and is the most recent BIG THING THAT WILL CHANGE THE UNIVERSE FOREVERR. If you're into the big cosmic meta stuff like Morrison's JLA or even the Infinite Crisis stuff (you poor soul :(), this is where you'll get that fix.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Sounds perfect. Thanks.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

BrianWilly posted:

...Dan DiDio being recently unseated...

I have been meaning to ask this thread if any news outs have come with a good run down on Dan's firing. My assumption has been that Time Warner finally figured out the Didio was not good an managing their precious intellectually properties but who knows.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

side_burned posted:

I have been meaning to ask this thread if any news outs have come with a good run down on Dan's firing. My assumption has been that Time Warner finally figured out the Didio was not good an managing their precious intellectually properties but who knows.

According to one of the reasons cited at the time, 'fostering a poor work environment.' Also there's speculation a lot of people, or at least enough influential ones, were opposed to that weird timeline shifting nonsense he was behind.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

According to one of the reasons cited at the time, 'fostering a poor work environment.' Also there's speculation a lot of people, or at least enough influential ones, were opposed to that weird timeline shifting nonsense he was behind.

It might not be related since there's a couple years between the two firings, but I imagine not doing a drat thing about Eddie Berganza for years except promoting him to higher and higher positions couldn't have helped.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Dawgstar posted:

I just learned about the 5G stuff in the last month and everything I have heard sounded on par with the Clone Saga but for the whole DC line.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

side_burned posted:

I just learned about the 5G stuff in the last month and everything I have heard sounded on par with the Clone Saga but for the whole DC line.

We were robbed of an incredibly beautiful mess.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought 5G was supposed to be about new people taking over the mantle of established heroes. What is the skinny of 5G?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Madkal posted:

I thought 5G was supposed to be about new people taking over the mantle of established heroes. What is the skinny of 5G?
Basically an excuse to reboot everything again but with some nod to the history of DC?

Gen 1 is like golden Age JSA poo poo
Gen 2 is Silver Age classic heroes
Gen 3 is Bronze (?) Age 80s-90s
Gen 4 is post-90s to modern with some legacy heroes popping up maybe?
And Gen 5 is the 'classic' heroes aging out and passing the reins like we did in the 90s

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
See I like legacy characters so that sounds like my jam.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Madkal posted:

See I like legacy characters so that sounds like my jam.
I'm honestly a little fuzzy on the Gen 3/4 bits. Like do we not get Kyle or is he just recruited alongside other lanterns? Did Hal go all Parallax on us? Does Bart come back from the future to Impulse it up?

Or is Gen5 like the first time The Big Three get aged out?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I am firmly against anything that prevents the return of DickBats.

I want DickBats back.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

I am firmly against anything that prevents the return of DickBats.

I want DickBats back.

:same:

And maybe another round of fixing Damian again because Teen Titans is just a mess for him.

Just have a new series with DickBat, Damian, Batcow and Goliath.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

side_burned posted:

Comicsbeat had the best reporting I've seen, though maybe I missed one somewhere else:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/crisis-on-earth-dan-didio-how-5g-was-a-crisis-too-far/

tl;dr: WB higher-ups got cold feet on the idea of "permanently"* replacing the classic DC characters with legacy characters, or possibly were never fully sold on the idea on the first place, and Didio was constantly micromanaging and changing plans for 5G (in a manner that sounds similar to the first few years of New 52, among other periods in his tenure), leading to low morale and high turnover, and in February, WB decided they had had enough. it also didn't help that the Batpenis debacle had happened just after Pam Lifford started as DiDio's boss in fall 2018, so maybe he was already on borrowed time after that

*obviously it would never have really been permanent, this is superhero comics after all, but the big 5G rumor was that the classic DC heroes would be drastically aged up by shunting their adventures backwards in time several decades along the sliding timeline, the intent of which was presumably to make it feel more permanent than something like All-New Marvel Now

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I never got the whole Batdick thing. Wasn’t it in a black label comic anyways? Just show us his dick we know he’s got it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TheHan posted:

I never got the whole Batdick thing. Wasn’t it in a black label comic anyways? Just show us his dick we know he’s got it.

They did show it, and then a lot of jokes were made and DC freaked out and removed all bat-dicks from reprints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Madkal posted:

They did show it, and then a lot of jokes were made and DC freaked out and removed all bat-dicks from reprints.

yeah, it was very naive of DiDio/Lee et al to think that that wouldn't get national media attention (if they expected it to get attention but didn't think it would play badly with the WB brass, that might have been even more naive)

FilthyImp posted:

I'm honestly a little fuzzy on the Gen 3/4 bits. Like do we not get Kyle or is he just recruited alongside other lanterns? Did Hal go all Parallax on us? Does Bart come back from the future to Impulse it up?

Or is Gen5 like the first time The Big Three get aged out?

presumably, the now-cancelled Generation One-Five one-shots were intended to address questions like those