Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also they wanted Kirk and Spock to gently caress

Honestly, same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, I’m down with that. Do it, Strange New Worlds, have Kirk’s only cameo be coming out of Spock’s quarters the morning after.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

So we’ve got the creators using and not understanding Section 31 and Red Squad.

I guess we should be on the look out for an Obsidian Order spin-off series since they seem intent on bastardizing DS9s ideas.

Sorry with this team it should be the ultra secret double Obsidian Order, my bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

No, I’m dead serious, the famous letter writing campaign everyone talks about was spearheaded by women and women sci-fi fans were a big part of the early fandom until weirdos took it over and started obsessing over the physics of dilithium crystals n poo poo.

what takeover?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

what takeover?

I assume it's the fact that for a long time the most popular material available outside the shows was all the things like encyclopedias and technical manuals and lots of drawings of spaceships, and that people started obsessing over things like a ship not fitting in a particular time period because it had the wrong font on its hull.

Also, that Lower Decks opening scene made me chuckle. It might be an awful show, but by the same token that scene could have come straight out of a show like Futurama.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Are there any write ups about this initial letter writing campaign? Sounds really interesting.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

G-III posted:

Are there any write ups about this initial letter writing campaign? Sounds really interesting.

https://intl.startrek.com/article/bjo-trimble-the-woman-who-saved-star-trek-part-1

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Neat! Thanks for that. One segment of this interview stood out to me

quote:

NBC was also convinced that Star Trek was watched only by drooling idiot 12-year olds with no buying power. They managed to ignore the fact that people such as Isaac Asimov, a multiple PhD, and a multitude of other intellectuals enjoyed the show. So, of course, the Suits were always looking for reasons to cancel shows they didn’t trust to be raging successes. They used faulty Neilson Rating numbers to “prove” that Star Trek was failing badly, and decided to cancel it. Fans decided to take action, and we did it very well, thank you very much! So well that NBC came on, in prime time, and made a voice-over announcement that Star Trek was not canceled… so please stop writing letters.

Seems like the only thing that changed here was you have an equal style of dipshit suits at CBS making the same mistakes half century later.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Marketing people are the goddamn dumbest people alive, and I say this as a marketing person.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Marketing people are the goddamn dumbest people alive, and I say this as a marketing person.

I tried to get into marketing after getting my MBA (go ahead and laugh, it's okay) and then I met other marketing people. Thankfully I used the combination of my computer science undergrad and my graduate degree to land management jobs in software development.

Now, that's not to say sales/marketing isn't important, in some cases it's the MOST important function. All the best tech folks, accounting/finance folks, etc. won't amount to anything more than a hill of beans if you can't sell what you're making. Sadly, it seems that a lot of people in the sales/marketing world are just awful and make you scratch your head as to what good they're doing.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

HD DAD posted:

I dunno, stem people and engineers in particular are the smoothest brain people I've ever interacted with, just breathtaking wastes

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Star Trek only caught on in the first place because it was for manchildren who read science-fiction pulp magazines and related to Spock's inability to understand emotion.

Prodigy I can easily ignore, Lower Decks I think looks cute and I'll give it a chance, Discovery season 3 has promise with jumping ahead in time and I'll give it a shot for that, Strange New Worlds has a great cast and a great premise, and Picard, well, I can continue to not give a poo poo. From where I'm sitting, that's a better spot than we were in a few years back.

I agree with absolutely everything in this post, yet I still feel hate and loathing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ramadu posted:

I dunno, stem people and engineers in particular are the smoothest brain people I've ever interacted with, just breathtaking wastes

Engineers and STEM types are trained to be stupid, with a very carefully curated education that has any tinge of humanities or ethics surgically removed and replaced with hype that being STEM makes you better than everyone else.

Marketing people? Marketing people are just like that.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
As a marketing person, I can tell you 70% of my job is just pulling numbers out of my rear end and telling my higher ups what they want to hear so I can collect a paycheck and go work on artsy things at home.

The field is a solid 50/50 between MBA douches and artists who have bills to pay.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I did marketing for 2 years and it's a minimum wage job at best. Never pay marketers more than any other job in your company.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Hahaha Sean Bean has had five wives. What the christ.

Was going to make a joke about Sean Bean getting a new wife every time he dies on screen, but then I realized it's silly--he's only had 5 wives.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I feel old. That was amusing enough in a sensible chuckle kind of way, but it felt like it was running at 2x speed, with any silence between lines or even words clipped out. It was almost exhausting to watch.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Payndz posted:

I feel old. That was amusing enough in a sensible chuckle kind of way, but it felt like it was running at 2x speed, with any silence between lines or even words clipped out. It was almost exhausting to watch.

Literally the same way I felt about Final Space. I felt so incredibly tired after watching it. Hope Lower Decks puts the brake on a little.

Worrying about this cartoon definitely makes me feel like this gif is relevant again:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

You know what, that clip is growing on me from Lower Decks and I'm realizing in addition to avoiding the self-serious/grim and dire tone what Star Trek is missing is that sometimes the stakes aren't the FATE OF THE GALAXY.

Like, if the characters are good, I am way more invested in the more relatable stakes of how "friend injured during drunken horseplay" plays out than another GALACTIC APOCALYPSE.

Sometimes it's okay to have an episode where Worf has to have an old west gunfight with Data or whatever. Focusing on the non-bridge characters with the big drama from the saucer section as a backdrop instead of the focus will help them tell stories that are a little more "human."

I mean, the optimism is unearned, but they have been making GBS threads Trek up so much they HAVE to stumble on something watchable eventually, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shortening the seasons to about 12-13 episodes makes it a lot harder to have those moments, unfortunately

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Owlbear Camus posted:

You know what, that clip is growing on me from Lower Decks and I'm realizing in addition to avoiding the self-serious/grim and dire tone what Star Trek is missing is that sometimes the stakes aren't the FATE OF THE GALAXY.

Like, if the characters are good, I am way more invested in the more relatable stakes of how "friend injured during drunken horseplay" plays out than another GALACTIC APOCALYPSE.

Sometimes it's okay to have an episode where Worf has to have an old west gunfight with Data or whatever. Focusing on the non-bridge characters with the big drama from the saucer section as a backdrop instead of the focus will help them tell stories that are a little more "human."

I mean, the optimism is unearned, but they have been making GBS threads Trek up so much they HAVE to stumble on something watchable eventually, right?

I think this is my feeling too. The loss of the one off or just fluffy fun character development episodes really kill stuff like discovery.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The one time Discovery kinda did a bottle episode, it turned out to be the best of the first season.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gwaihir posted:

I think this is my feeling too. The loss of the one off or just fluffy fun character development episodes really kill stuff like discovery.

I think the worst part of it is how Everything Services the Plot, so it begins to feel like the plot is in fact more important than the characters. Most Star Trek shows before this have been like, "here's our group of diverse and interesting (we hope) characters! Let's see what they get up to!" They weren't fated in any way, one week could see anything happen to anyone, the next week a completely different set of circumstances.

Discovery and Picard both have a destination dialed in, and we're stuck seeing where they're taking us. The characters are just the people who were in the airport shuttle when it stopped in front of our house.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

The one time Discovery kinda did a bottle episode, it turned out to be the best of the first season.
Which makes the lack of bottle episodes more frustrating

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad the cartoon doesn't appear to be grim depressing galaxy spanning world ending nonsense but that clip didn't get a chuckle out of me either

It also looks like they spent a buck-fifty animating it in flash or something, like I get that's a thing these days and TAS wasn't exactly every frame a painting but lmao anyway

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Payndz posted:

:same: There might be some funny stuff in the show, but I'm never gonna watch it if the whole thing is like this migraine-inducing cacophony.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Lester Shy posted:

:same: There might be some funny stuff in the show, but I'm never gonna watch it if the whole thing is like this migraine-inducing cacophony.

I'm holding out hope that it's like The Orville in that the actual thing is better than any of the original teasers/trailers implied.
It's modern Star Trek though, so that might not pan out.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

are all of you grandpas or something

extreme boomer energy in this thread right now

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The euthanasia chamber from Soylent Green but instead of pastoral imagery and stirring vistas the old guy is shown the 10 hour establishing shots of the new Enterprise model from The Motion Picture.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 25, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not saying I’m old, but if I were in a transporter accident and materialized 30y younger I’d be cool with that

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Owlbear Camus posted:

The euthanasia chamber from Soylent Green but instead of pastoral imagery and stirring vistas the old guy is shown the 10 hour establishing shots of the new Enterprise model from The Motion Picture.

I can think of worse ways to go.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/697511686260654181/736657663047237723/unknown.png

A still from 'posterior decks' trailer. Knowing how CBS cuts their trailers, we surely have a very 'fast' and 'bright' trek future.
I guess they just went full 'Live fast and prosper' on new treks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can’t wait to see how they animate the equivalent of the Icheb body horror scene :haw:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AntherUslessPoster posted:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/697511686260654181/736657663047237723/unknown.png

A still from 'posterior decks' trailer. Knowing how CBS cuts their trailers, we surely have a very 'fast' and 'bright' trek future.
I guess they just went full 'Live fast and prosper' on new treks.

what?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I don’t know, it reads like a boomer when they think they’re being cutting, but they’re just tying themselves up in weird personal similes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think he’s trying to say because the cartoon Trek has goofy cartoon violence, it’s therefore grimdark? Maybe? It’s hard to translate.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

As in Continue copy pasting poo poo from other shows that they think makes these shows 'cool' till trek becomes a terrible tasteless overused-tropes brain fast food franchise with 24/7/365 spinoffs and 'icheb's left eye, remove it yourself!' toys.

Im a poo poo poster, you know. But even my shittiness cannot reach cbs' executives levels of poo poo per.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

HD DAD posted:

I think he’s trying to say because the cartoon Trek has goofy cartoon violence, it’s therefore grimdark? Maybe? It’s hard to translate.

It's therefore will try to copy rick and morty with wondertech healing wounds and being plot devices and all that the whole show run, but unironically.
Also stupid unfunny jokes. But trek themed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I should stop angryposting.
Lower decks sucks and will suck but sigh I will watch it too.