Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Don't know if this is the right place or if 3d printing had its own thread. I had a friend mention getting one of these PHROZEN Sonic Mini printers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084FBNLHS?pf_rd_r=A2QQ7D6C53D4PJJS9D2D&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

I was floored by the price (250!) and he was someone who did a lot of printing as he's a figurine sculpter so he's fairly experienced with using them for production purposes. Wondering if anyone had any thoughts

PublicOpinion posted:

Started making a serious attempt at learning Blender this year, Eevee is a godsend for actually being able to quickly look at things. I tried learning once before but render times were always kind of a hindrance as a hobbyist, at least for me. Been getting way into Ian Hubert's stuff, subscribed to his Patreon and made this as a way to use those assets and try out some of the techniques. Never did any motion graphics stuff before, so the second part was also a lot of learning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in55vBxW9bo

been thinking about doing his patreon. How does it work, do you get everything from the beginning up to this point or just the stuff from when you started paying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Alan Smithee posted:

Don't know if this is the right place or if 3d printing had its own thread.

There's a 3D printing thread right here

quote:

been thinking about doing his patreon. How does it work, do you get everything from the beginning up to this point or just the stuff from when you started paying?

Usually everything unlocks once you subscribe to a patreon, so you get all the past content (for whichever level you've subscribed).

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Listerine posted:

There's a 3D printing thread right here

Jeebus that is a LOT of pages to get through. I am not sure if this will help anyone but here is Ralph Grasseti talking about 3d printers at the Zbrush summit.

FFW to about the 37-38 min mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmUikhiWu8c&t=2321s

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

sigma 6 posted:

Jeebus that is a LOT of pages to get through. I am not sure if this will help anyone but here is Ralph Grasseti talking about 3d printers at the Zbrush summit.

It's not worth reading the whole thread, it's mostly for people to post current news, requests for help, etc. Material like recommendations from early in the thread may be considerably out of date by now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So it looks like Maya Indie is becoming official? Also Nuke Indie!

But goddamnit... no 3rd party plugins with Nuke Indie. Argh.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

BonoMan posted:

So it looks like Maya Indie is becoming official? Also Nuke Indie!

But goddamnit... no 3rd party plugins with Nuke Indie. Argh.

Folks on twitter were very critical of the Nuke Indie release, saying that it checked the box of "we have an indie version available" but so restricted that no one who really works with the software would actually buy it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Alan Smithee posted:

You get access to all the previous posts at your tier. Maybe it's just my browser but I find Patreon pages get pretty laggy when you try and go too far back in the main feed so looking at the posts in a specific category and changing the sorting to Oldest->Newest will help you get at the oldest posts.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
So I'm trying to learn a bit about blender/3D stuff, and for a trial run I went and sculpted something. I tried to paint it but it was awful and someone advised me to redo the topology and I've started on that. But now I realize I have all these extra edges/vertices in random places, and that they don't all connect with each other, leaving gaps in the mesh. What's the best way to fix that? I've only done the donut tutorial before this so sorry if there's some super obvious fix. Here's a screencap to illustrate what I mean:

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

For what you have there, a Vertex merge would be fine. Should be under Edit -> Vertex Merge.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

bones 4 beginners posted:

So I'm trying to learn a bit about blender/3D stuff, and for a trial run I went and sculpted something. I tried to paint it but it was awful and someone advised me to redo the topology and I've started on that. But now I realize I have all these extra edges/vertices in random places, and that they don't all connect with each other, leaving gaps in the mesh. What's the best way to fix that? I've only done the donut tutorial before this so sorry if there's some super obvious fix. Here's a screencap to illustrate what I mean:

What gearman said. Also for your own sanity, do some simple retopology tutorials. I’ve been banging my head against the wall trying to learn how to do it correctly and it’s full of annoying places to screw up that are hard to unscrew later.

ALTERNATIVELY, if you just want to paint your mesh, you can do vertex paint instead of texture paint and for that you don’t need to UV unwrap, and it works OK even on a fairly dense mesh.

ALSO 2.9 beta is out and supports multires.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Another option is to select one of the loops and then hit x -> dissolve edges.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I don't have time to dig into the new Zbrush release, but does anyone know how the various new simulation tools affect recommended RAM? I'm currently running 64 GB and wondering if it would be worth it to bump to 128 GB- I'd prefer not to, but if I was going to, it should be soon.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
A Blender question: I often find while working on a model that I want to recess part of it. For example, I might want to turn a cube into a shape like this:

This is easy enough to do if I know I want it in advance, but often I have a moderately complicated shape already made before I discover I need to make part of it smaller. The only method I've found so far is to do a negative extrusion and then a lot of tedious surgery to fix the geometry. Either that, or extrude everything else except for the part I want recessed, and then adjust scale. Neither of these approaches are really all that great.

Any suggestions for a better technique? Most of my methods are self-taught so I wouldn't be remotely surprised if there was a better way.

All of my models are various hard-bodied things. For example, this is a work-in-progress bridge for a New Orleans-class cruiser:

You can see a cutout I made roughly in the middle of the image, where I did the "extrude everything else and then shrink down" approach.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Iirc you can inset 0 and that creates a face you can inset/outset (is that even the term) willy nilly.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Use the Boolean modifier, then you can use any mesh to cut into another mesh non-destructively

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
First time attempting some 3D modeling. Im getting into Blender to aid in some stuff Im doing in Unreal for virtual production and completed my donut!

Stoked to start on the coffee cup.

Blender owns.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

Iirc you can inset 0 and that creates a face you can inset/outset (is that even the term) willy nilly.

Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't resolve my issue. Here's an example of the kind of situation I'm trying to avoid:

The zero-width faces on the edges there are annoying to deal with; I need to delete them (which deletes the entire left/top face) and then recreate them as six-edged, L-shaped faces.

Neon Noodle posted:

Use the Boolean modifier, then you can use any mesh to cut into another mesh non-destructively

Doesn't seem to be working :confused:

Like, I legit thought this would work, with my main objection being booleans are fiddly to work with, but I'm surprised that it's not doing anything AFAICT. The issue seems to be that I'm working with a mirrored mesh; if I make a plain cube and put a boolean modifier on it, then it works fine -- though it's annoying that it leaves a hole in the mesh that I have to patch. With a mirror modifier though, only the Union and Intersection modes seem to work, not Difference. Maybe it's having trouble telling what's internal to the mesh? :shrug:

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Like, I legit thought this would work, with my main objection being booleans are fiddly to work with, but I'm surprised that it's not doing anything AFAICT. The issue seems to be that I'm working with a mirrored mesh; if I make a plain cube and put a boolean modifier on it, then it works fine -- though it's annoying that it leaves a hole in the mesh that I have to patch. With a mirror modifier though, only the Union and Intersection modes seem to work, not Difference. Maybe it's having trouble telling what's internal to the mesh? :shrug:

After you apply the modifier, and hide the cutting object, is the object you're trying to cut still intact? The operation worked for me but I couldn't see the result because the cutting object was still visible.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't resolve my issue. Here's an example of the kind of situation I'm trying to avoid:

The zero-width faces on the edges there are annoying to deal with; I need to delete them (which deletes the entire left/top face) and then recreate them as six-edged, L-shaped faces.

The boolean tool should have multiple different operation modes, you might just have used the wrong one.
There is: combine a+b, remove only the overlapping part of a+b, remove everything except the overlapping bit, and then the same for only the intersection through.
And then variants of removing a from b, etc.
Can't remember which is called which, but you should be and to find it pretty quick.

E: sorry, answered to o fast on my phone, strange that the mirror messes it up.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 15, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Listerine posted:

After you apply the modifier, and hide the cutting object, is the object you're trying to cut still intact? The operation worked for me but I couldn't see the result because the cutting object was still visible.

Correct, the object is intact. If you select an object with a Boolean modifier on it, all other objects involved in that modifier become semitransparent, so you should be able to see the change in the object or at least the change in its selection outline.

Apr 7, 2019

Also make sure you're using solid, watertight meshes when working with booleans in Blender. If there are holes in either mesh, you're not going to see a correct result.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Well, I just fired up a new scene and did the same thing I did earlier, and this time it worked. :shrug:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Well, I just fired up a new scene and did the same thing I did earlier, and this time it worked. :shrug:

Welcome to the world of 3D software!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Toomuchabstraction -
I know you're working with simple shapes right now, but when you look into subdivision watch this!
https://vimeo.com/10941211

I recommend it a lot. he's using max but it's about the theory and every command he uses exists in blender. it's more about how to work with meshes and why they react the way they do under subdivision, and how best to use that to your advantage. It's worth keeping bookmarked - if you watch it and spend another 3 months working/practicing, you'll be able to gain new insight from a rewatch.
'Tedious surgery' is a big part of modeling, but you'll pick up techniques that make it quicker and easier as time goes on. Everyone in production uses workarounds and shortcuts as much as humanly possible, but it's important to know the manual techniques too - they're all useful in different applications. Grant warwick has a section in the end about created a hosed up mesh just to practice clean up & surgery on.

This might be a bit far - you should not get too distracted. keep using booleans and carving interesting silhouettes for now, move onto this when you're ready to make things more complicated - will also be worth knowing your way around the edit mesh tools in blender for manual edge extrusion, cut, weld etc so the techniques arent totally alien to you.

edit: I just remembered you've been around for a while - sorry. you're working with super low poly real time as your end result, this may be unnesecary ....

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Haha, no worries, I appreciate the thought and I'm sure there's people here who will get good use out of that video. And yeah, I'm sticking to low-poly both for performance and as an aesthetic choice, in the sense of "it's an aesthetic that I can make look intentional without spending way more time than I can afford on it." I've done high-poly stuff in the past and know a little about keeping my topology under control. In this project it doesn't matter so much (most faces are flat), so I've gotten a bit sloppy, but oh well.

I asked the question in the first place because I figured it came up enough that there might well be a solution that I just didn't know about. Like, "oh yeah, just select the face you want to inset and hit ctrl-shift-G" or something (I have no idea what if anything that shortcut is mapped to). Sounds like there isn't, so, tedious surgery and the occasional boolean modifier is the way to go!

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

cubicle gangster posted:

Toomuchabstraction -
I know you're working with simple shapes right now, but when you look into subdivision watch this!
https://vimeo.com/10941211

Speaking of Grant Warwick, anyone know what happened to him? He seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth earlier this year. His website went dark and the domain is up for sale.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

AccountSupervisor posted:

First time attempting some 3D modeling. Im getting into Blender to aid in some stuff Im doing in Unreal for virtual production and completed my donut!

Stoked to start on the coffee cup.

Blender owns.

What kind of virtual production projects are you doing in Unreal? I've been sporadically working with a client on developing an all-in-one package for working with this PTZ Camera and it's been rather challenging but really cool to see when it all works.

It doesn't help that Panasonic doesn't provide any profiling or mapping for their raw data so we had to reverse engineer a lot of the functionality.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

autojive posted:

Speaking of Grant Warwick, anyone know what happened to him? He seemed to have disappeared off the face of the earth earlier this year. His website went dark and the domain is up for sale.

I followed this closely.
he started the training courseware and they were wildly successful - he used to show the number of subscribers on the website which allowed people to figure out in his first year he made $1.8m.
It was around this time he announced that he was having trouble updating as frequently because all of his time was being spent on his bid to become an olympic boxer. At some point his brother, who developed the website, apparently stole everything from him and held it to ransom for a much larger cut of the money. likewise, his audience became unsatisfied with the updates being 6+ months late and courses not being finished. During all this he was still putting most of his energy and time into a olympic boxing bid (I seriously don't know why he thought telling people this would make them sympathetic to him) and gradually stopped responding to all the people who were annoyed he couldn't be bothered to finish the courses he promised. I think the final estimate that people worked out that his website took in was a hair under $3m.

edit: for what it's worth, he later claimed to have not even seen much of this money, as his brother stole the payment system and they got into a legal battle. If anything that's even sadder than just taking it and retiring.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 18, 2020

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

I followed this closely.
he started the training courseware and they were wildly successful - he used to show the number of subscribers on the website which allowed people to figure out in his first year he made $1.8m.
It was around this time he announced that he was having trouble updating as frequently because all of his time was being spent on his bid to become an olympic boxer. At some point his brother, who developed the website, apparently stole everything from him and held it to ransom for a much larger cut of the money. likewise, his audience became unsatisfied with the updates being 6+ months late and courses not being finished. During all this he was still putting most of his energy and time into a olympic boxing bid (I seriously don't know why he thought telling people this would make them sympathetic to him) and gradually stopped responding to all the people who were annoyed he couldn't be bothered to finish the courses he promised. I think the final estimate that people worked out that his website took in was a hair under $3m.

edit: for what it's worth, he later claimed to have not even seen much of this money, as his brother stole the payment system and they got into a legal battle. If anything that's even sadder than just taking it and retiring.

That’s, uh... one hell of a story.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah i was around when he first started making posts about procedural materials on the vray forums - he did it for a year or two before floating the idea of training material. it made for a great community about material design for a while, and I tend to get myself a front row seat when people start getting that annoyed online.

Apr 7, 2019

It sounds like all I have to do is come up with one good course that costs $200, and I won't have to worry about working ever again. Does anyone here have any experience selling stuff on Gumroad, or anything like that? I kind of want to start, but I also don't want to spend three months of my time making something that only one person buys. Probably need more of an online presence first, and also probably need to feel like I've mastered at least one thing.

I pretty much learned to model from that Grant Warwick tutorial linked above, by the way. I'm pretty sure I found it in this same thread several years ago. Surprised how few 3D artists I meet seem to understand that stuff.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

500 posted:

It sounds like all I have to do is come up with one good course that costs $200, and I won't have to worry about working ever again.

Ah, but it also has to be in a subject wildly underrepresented, you need to do it better than anyone else - by enough of a distance that most didnt even think what you're doing was possible, then you'll also need goodwill from a solid years worth of information on the subject and a high-level free training video with half a million plays. Also maybe 10 years of freelancing in studios so you have a huge network of contacts that have already seen how good you are too would help...

I know a few people selling training material and they do well, but they work hard and have to grind & hustle a fair bit. Getting on conference lineups to do talks would be a huge help these days.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, yeah, I'm friends with Shane Olson and https://www.3dcharacterworkshop.com/ has done really really well, but what you don't see is the 20 years of career/networking and the 5+ years of 2nd-job-level run-up building a following, offering free/cheap tutorials, collecting the mailing list, developing the curriculum, and building the community. Even after all of that, if you talk to him he mostly attributes the success of his training course to his helping develop the Disney Infinity characters, heh.

Apr 7, 2019

cubicle gangster posted:

Ah, but it also has to be in a subject wildly underrepresented, you need to do it better than anyone else - by enough of a distance that most didnt even think what you're doing was possible, then you'll also need goodwill from a solid years worth of information on the subject and a high-level free training video with half a million plays. Also maybe 10 years of freelancing in studios so you have a huge network of contacts that have already seen how good you are too would help...

I know a few people selling training material and they do well, but they work hard and have to grind & hustle a fair bit. Getting on conference lineups to do talks would be a huge help these days.

Honestly, this still sounds doable. Probably another 10 years away, realistically, but still not out of the realm of possibility.

I guess I'm just looking for an alternative to my current path, which seems to only promise longer hours and more work as I get older. I feel like if I can find a way to earn at least 20k per year from a scrappy side project, that's really all I need to survive.

Here's a sculpt of the hamburglar that I never got around to finishing.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I am filled with confusing emotions

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

500 posted:

Honestly, this still sounds doable. Probably another 10 years away, realistically, but still not out of the realm of possibility.

I guess I'm just looking for an alternative to my current path, which seems to only promise longer hours and more work as I get older. I feel like if I can find a way to earn at least 20k per year from a scrappy side project, that's really all I need to survive.

*slams fists on table* Porn. Porn. Porn.
(No, not of the hamburglar.)

Leveraging 3D over to earning porn money is remarkably easy, especially if you can do decent character sculpts, or animations (Where the big bux are.).
It's harder to build up visibility from nothing nowadays compared to when tumblr was around, but it doesn't take much time to build a following if you stand out from the crowd in any way.
(And considering that the a large chunk of the pornmaking crowd is primarily game-3d-models in SFM or blender, or stiff-as-boards Daz renders, it's not hard to do if you have a developed skillset.)

Ex: Albron https://www.patreon.com/albron
How does ~4000-4500usd/mo for ~1-2 pinup render scene a month sound? Plus proceeds from stuff like prints, 3dprints etc.
If you go straight/female-presenting-nipples oriented there's a way larger market as well. If you step into the furry market you also get a money-making multiplier.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 21, 2020

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

SubNat posted:

Leveraging 3D over to earning porn money is remarkably easy, especially if you can do decent character sculpts, or animations (Where the big bux are.).
It's harder to build up visibility from nothing nowadays compared to when tumblr was around, but it doesn't take much time to build a following if you stand out from the crowd in any way.
(And considering that the a large chunk of the pornmaking crowd is primarily game-3d-models in SFM or blender, or stiff-as-boards Daz renders, it's not hard to do if you have a developed skillset.)

Ex: Albron https://www.patreon.com/albron
How does ~4000-4500usd/mo for ~1-2 pinup render scene a month sound? Plus proceeds from stuff like prints, 3dprints etc.
If you go straight/female-presenting-nipples oriented there's a way larger market as well. If you step into the furry market you also get a money-making multiplier.

This is honestly my fallback position for if my career ever goes the way I've seen certain older ppl in the industry that studios don't have a use for anymore. I know a lot of senior modelers and animators who, once they've hit their fifties, can't get jobs anymore and end up working as security guards or in retail.

Apr 7, 2019

SubNat posted:

Porno is definitely something to keep in my back pocket, but I think I'd need to dedicate a bit more time to becoming a character artist first. It's more of just a fun way to push my general design/3D skills at the moment. Do you work in the field? I thought you were like a technical artist.

Just fyi I was always planning to add clothes. I just didn't get around to modelling them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, naked Hamburglar is oddly disturbing.

Agreeing with the rest of the stuff mentioned though. People pay a lotta money for their kinks.

Hell, if you decide you wanna start tackling head sculpts for sixth scale figures or armor or whatever, drop me a line. I've got some body scans, and I'm always looking for new poo poo to get made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

500 posted:

Do you work in the field? I thought you were like a technical artist.

I'm less of a technical artist and more of a 3d generalist who can also handle some degree of programming. Ain't particularly good at anything, but I do have fun animating, though my actual modeling and sculpting skills are meagre at best due to me almost not needing them for work for a couple years.
I just had to double down on technical aspects from time to time because I was a one-man-VR devteam with the company I went into out of school, especially due to trying to satisfy architects who'd just suddenly demand stuff your tools can't really do yet.

As for the field, I was in it back when I went to Uni, ended up sidelining it entirely when I got into work and promptly started drowning under the workload. I've dabbled with it from time to time since then, and intend to start up again sometime this year though, since I'm freelance nowadays.
(Did some SFM stuff as a lark once, and within a week or two so I had 1k followers and people willing to drop 100bux on what often just amounted to an evening of work, plus some back and forth to hash out the details. Made for good extra spending money compared to my part time job at the time.
Especially since you can just turn around and double-charge commissions by having both patrons and gumroad buyers pay for them, so you don't really need to do them at-cost. The culture there makes commissions more of a 'yay you'll be making this thing!', as opposed to 'you're making a product for me, exlucisvely.')
There's an utter dearth of animators, so anything that can move or jiggle catches a lot of eyes, still does. The golden goose is really any kind of porn game, if you're familiar enough with an engine to slap together something basic it can be worth looking into, because those are generally evergreen projects on patreon.

But yeah, I still pay attention to the field and have a couple friends still actively doing it, most of them as fulltime gigs. (Though a couple of them have the 'benefit' of coming from cheaper countries. 1000usd/mo can do a lot more in thailand than in norway. )

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Agreeing with the rest of the stuff mentioned though. People pay a lotta money for their kinks.

Yeah, the more fringe the kink the more active the people interested in it seem to be, especially as you border the furry community where a lot of them are very willing to fund their interests. (And are by and large insanely nice and polite, I've had nothing but positive experiences with furry clients.)
Just make sure to filter out commissions and work (if you ever pick them up), to focus only on the stuff you yourself like though, otherwise you'll quickly get interested fans hounding you for stuff you're not interested in.
Otherwise it's entirely possible to just roll without doing commissions or anything, just having some patreon/subscribestar/etc exclusive content(And also selling the same content on gumroad, etc.) and just making what you want, for yourself.
Your fanbase is pretty mutable and you quickly end up with people whose interests align with yours.

If anyone wants to start opening that parachute early, you can always just dip your toe in and make some stuff + upload, and then if you come back to it with some interest later on you might have a couple hundred+ followers eager and waiting.
Better to put out a couple of pieces a year, for a year or two so you have a fanbase when you need one, instead of trying to do a cold-start and being frustrated that it can take a while to build up momentum.
No point in thinking about porn as an exit strategy if you discover you don't like working with it, either.