Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
Unemployment in Florida maxes out at $275 a week. Florida is also unique in that it cuts off unemployment benefits after 12 weeks. Every other state provides 26+ weeks of coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
We're mostly agreed. And thanks. :) Decon workflows a valid concern too. Though i'm curious. The main issue with n95 in decon is they can't get seriously wet. I'm probably overlooking something, but isn't a mask you can dunk in a soap bath and hang out to dry and be sure it's safe much preferrable?

yook posted:

It’s been pretty gratifying to finally see it from someone after waiting so long for the Democrats to pick up on it. I’m wondering if they still haven’t done it because they still somehow believe in decorum and bipartisanship despite everything or some political consultant said those voters are unreachable and positive ads help more with motivating the base.
Lots of us europeans have been incredibly happy to see someone attack trump in two places where it hurts: 1. His ego. 2. His boomer voters.

Anyhow ...

Update on my EMT friend:

Mithaldu posted:

Particularly in the case of the EMT transporting 1-4 covid patient per hour, for days, on 12hr+ shifts, with only very basic small plastic glasses, a cheap N95 mask that they get used, use for an entire day, return it for cleaning, and had to beg to get an extra new one when a strap broke, and has not seen any hazard pay since the thing started, and will not get their covid infection covered by work unless they can prove they got it at work. (So never.)
Their test came back negative. From what i read the tests used in the usa have a false negative rate as follows:

quote:

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/journal-scans/2020/05/18/13/42/variation-in-false-negative-rate-of-reverse
The false-negative rate for SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR testing is highly variable: highest within the first 5 days after exposure (up to 67%), and lowest on day 8 after exposure (21%).
Careflite is requiring them to come in to work tomorrow and looks to be set to fight worker's comp.

While my friend is still experiencing shortness of breath and other symptoms right now.

So uh, if you're in northern texas? Be aware that calling an ambulance might get you infected with covid because the companies running them require sick staff to work on them. Good luck goons.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 24, 2020

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
So yeah this is immensely lovely but my company's been requiring us to work from the office 2-3 days per week (Monday/Wednesday/Friday or Tuesday/Thursday to minimize contact between workers in a 50/50 rotation setup) since mid-June after coming from working from home lockdown during April and May. I've been worried for my health and the health of my partner while going into the office for basically no reason except that the idiot Boomer upper management at my company doesn't give a gently caress about us and is stuck on never changing their business model, despite being a real estate firm that does 98% of their work at their corporate headquarters that I work at for clients remotely. My fears have been confirmed over the past few weeks, of course, when there was a positive COVID test on my work floor the week after July 4th weekend, then another positive test confirmed by HR today on my floor too. The company response has been to do contact tracing to see how the positive carriers have been in contact with and clean the floors overnight with zero other measures such as closing the building for two weeks or uh not even sending people at home for a day or the rest of the week out of concern for their safety. I enjoy my job for the most part and much of my department is actually very cool and understanding, including the CIO who is absolutely on our side in not endangering our lives for the pursuit of capitalism, but the dumbass upper management executives will not budge in changing their policies.

I'm to the point that I'm going to claim a medical exemption to work from home indefinitely since my girlfriend has asthma since my company's management blatantly does not care about us. But I'm still thinking about whether or not I want to do it. I will probably call HR tomorrow.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Melbourne it was the first day of the compulsory mask rule coming into effect and it looks like it went really smoothly. My housemate went out earlier in the day and said he only saw one person who wasn't wearing a mask, I went out at 11pm to go to the supermarket and even though there were hardly any people on the street they were all wearing masks still. Every single customer at the supermarket was also in a mask (except for a very young girl, and kids that age are exempt) and all the staff had masks but a few had them pulled down below their noses.

Also our ICUs are apparently having an 85% survival rate, compared to 60% in the UK and 30% in the US
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg_lHHHBcW0

I was quite pleased to see nearly everyone in Melbourne taking up mask wearing quite happily. I saw a couple of tradies on construction sites using their masks as a beard holder but most of them were using them properly. Was quite shocked to see more than a few people with their noses out. Also have a friend, a person with two degrees, wearing one with her nose out....she seemed too genuinely not know that wasn't how you wore them. Baffling. It's one of those things you encounter occasionally where I literally cannot fathom how you could not know it. Like even if you've never worn, talked about or met anyone wearing a face mask, surely just by osmosis and exposure to life in general you would know it goes over the nose as well as the mouth. You've never seen a doctor in tv wearing a mask? You've not seen a news report in the last six months? Anyway.....she is wearing it correctly now.

Also saw one dude rocking a full steam punk bioshock outfit and gas mask. Looked cool but I doubt he could see poo poo when he was crossing the road.

20 Blunts posted:

goons, i feel dumb as gently caress

in terms of quarantine, i can count on one hand the people ive come into direct contact with since March, and I've been wearing a mask but I've been wearing one of these:

https://rzmask.com/collections/m2-5-masks

there is a carbon filter within these masks between the wearer and the valve, but apparently these only protect the wearer, not others. in terms of actual "exhaust" coming from my mouth it doesn't seem like much gets out at all but I don't know. Would a strip of cloth over the valves make these acceptable? ughhh i feel loving stupid.
Is that mask better than a disposable one? Most likely, in which case you are doing the right thing. Don't beat yourself up for doing the right thing.

Your isolating is doing far more to prevent the spread, your perfectly acceptable mask is just the cherry on top.

Illuminti fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 24, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Masks with exhalations valves might as well all have gently caress you got mine printed on them they’re not “perfectly acceptable.”

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

yeah, definitely wrap your face in something additional

the fact that the exhausts are angled down only vaguely makes up for it spraying stuff out directly

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Illuminti posted:

Is that mask better than a disposable one? Most likely, in which case you are doing the right thing. Don't beat yourself up for doing the right thing.

Your isolating is doing far more to prevent the spread, your perfectly acceptable mask is just the cherry on top.

I think the material its made out of is excellent, yes, its just the valves on it. They say on their website that this mask filters air coming in, but not air coming out.

Still, when I breathe out with this mask on I feel no exhaust, and I would think that the sheer thickness of the mask + carbon filter is comparable to the plethora of cheap cloth masks I see out there?

Can I just plug the valves and feel better about this?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Illuminti posted:

I was quite pleased to see nearly everyone in Melbourne taking up mask wearing quite happily. I saw a couple of tradies on construction sites using their masks as a beard holder but most of them were using them properly. Was quite shocked to see more than a few people with their noses out. Also have a friend, a person with two degrees, wearing one with her nose out....she seemed too genuinely not know that wasn't how you wore them. Baffling. It's one of those things you encounter occasionally where I literally cannot fathom how you could not know it. Like even if you've never worn, talked about or met anyone wearing a face mask, surely just by osmosis and exposure to life in general you would know it goes over the nose as well as the mouth. You've never seen a doctor in tv wearing a mask? You've not seen a news report in the last six months? Anyway.....she is wearing it correctly now.

Also saw one dude rocking a full steam punk bioshock outfit and gas mask. Looked cool but I doubt he could see poo poo when he was crossing the road.

You’ve been saying dumb poo poo this entire thread and you’re still doing it and you should shut the gently caress up.

The notion that a mask with exhalation valves is “most likely” better than a disposable N95 is moronic and you are a moron.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Illuminti posted:

But SARS wasn't a big deal except for 800 people who died. China loses 700 people a day in traffic accidents. It was a big deal for 24 hour news and mask manufacturers.

If an equivalent of Spanish Flu arose today it wouldn't make a loving dent. Sorry, but virus's missed their chance.

If fun to doomsday about a killer virus but frankly I don't see it happening. Swine Flu will be worse than this and most people didn't know anything about it while it was happening

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Gonna have to rename him Stitched McConnell because that'll be the only way they can put him back together after getting cut into 1000 pieces.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ffffffff

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

20 Blunts posted:

I think the material its made out of is excellent, yes, its just the valves on it. They say on their website that this mask filters air coming in, but not air coming out.

Still, when I breathe out with this mask on I feel no exhaust, and I would think that the sheer thickness of the mask + carbon filter is comparable to the plethora of cheap cloth masks I see out there?

Plugging the valves won't feel good because it's designed to have you breathing out through the valves. Just put a cloth mask or surgical mask on over it. Anecdotally, I can tell you that's what medical professionals are doing here (plus face shields)

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Anne Whateley posted:

Plugging the valves won't feel good because it's designed to have you breathing out through the valves. Just put a cloth mask or surgical mask on over it. Anecdotally, I can tell you that's what medical professionals are doing here (plus face shields)

yeah i think i'll either rig up some cotton to cover up the valves or give away the new valve mask i just bought to a medical professional to add to their arsenal, they can make it right with their know-how

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I mean literally just wear a regular little mask over it. It doesn't take know-how. Don't modify the mask itself, just put it on and then put on another mask.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Polio Vax Scene posted:

i got the covid and died from it, op

stay safe covidy ghost

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My kids' school district just announced they will began the school year 100% virtually.

I like my kids' school district

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Nearly 2.5% of people in Charleston county have already tested positive for COVID-19, with percent positive rates from tests hanging around 20% for the past month.
https://www.scdhec.gov/infectious-diseases/viruses/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/sc-testing-data-projections-covid-19

The good news is that case numbers will probably start dropping soon.

The bad news is that it's because we're running out of both testing supplies and personnel to run the tests because the personnel are out sick with COVID-19.

https://twitter.com/ABCNews4/status/1286417051796398080

:tif:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

We're mostly agreed. And thanks. :)
Decon workflows a valid concern too. Though i'm curious. The main issue with n95 in decon is they can't get seriously wet. I'm probably overlooking something, but isn't a mask you can dunk in a soap bath and hang out to dry and be sure it's safe much preferrable?

Well there's a number of considerations. For one, yes not being able to get disposable N95s wet was an issue for decontamination. Heat was another. One of the most common ways of decontaminating things in a hospital is steam sterilization, typically at 121°C or 132°C. Both the moisture and temperatures that high could have compromised the masks. I could imagine this being an issue with some reusable respirators as well, as 132°C IIRC is above or near the limits of the temperatures that some synthetic rubbers can handle.The more common methods I've seen with the disposable N95s are either gently "blooming" the mask and then using a couple big industrial UV-C lamps to blast rows of them at a time or some variation of hydrogen peroxide vapor sterilization. As far as "being sure it's safe", it'd never be as simple as dunking it in a soap bath and hanging it out to dry. I mean you don't just dunk your hands in soapy water when you're washing them. Air pockets, bubbles, little crevices, that sort of thing. Do you gently scrub it to get in the cracks? Rotate it around in the bath? Don't forget you want as little manual involvement as possible by the technician decontaminating things to lower their infection risk. Does it kill other pathogens? That's actually a big issue. Let's not forget that HCWs may be dealing with more than just COVID, so if you're decontaminating things it has to get it all (presumably you're not throwing out the big reusable masks every time they're "visibly soiled" like a lot of the N95 decontamination protocols called for). I'm not sure how well UV-C would work on those since they generally can't be flattened out, but let's say for the sake of argument some sort of hydrogen peroxide vapor setup worked. Whatever process you use, you're likely having to build some sort of new ad-hoc facility to decontaminate things if they can't go through the "normal" sterilization methods and need to be done in large batches.

So then you've got the issue of volume. How many masks would, say, an average nurse need? One likely isn't enough, since it'd be hard to guarantee that an entire shift's worth could be decontaminated overnight. Are the masks "assigned" to each HCW? Or after decontamination to they go back into a general pool and you just get them reassigned as if they're "fresh" (this was not a popular idea with the HCWs by the way). Let's assume they're assigned then. So now I need to collect, transport, sterilize, track, and store multiple masks per nurse. That's a nightmare in terms of logistics. Can you even purchase them in the volumes you'd need right now?

But here's the other thing, a big issue with repeated decontamination like that is if I'm a HCW, how much trust do I have in a repeated process where if a step goes wrong I get COVID? A disposable mask? If it gets all COVID covered from a patient, as long as I safely doff it (which when done incorrectly is a key point of potential infection) then it just goes in the trash and I'm not worrying about what was on it. But a mask being repeatedly decontaminated on a daily basis? What if something gets missed in the process? What if a spot gets missed and a bit of the virus survives? Like even the idea of reusing a mask *once* was a bridge too far for some, and now you're telling them they have to trust that not only is the process getting *everything* every time, but that it's not weakening the seal somehow or reducing the effectiveness of the filter?

Long story short it's a hell of a challenge and a real morale hit even with limited decontamination of disposable N95s. Relying exclusively on a similar process for big reusable respirators really wasn't considered practical. Even decontaminating the disposables was viewed as a last ditch effort to save time until more disposables could be obtained.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 24, 2020

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

You’ve been saying dumb poo poo this entire thread and you’re still doing it and you should shut the gently caress up.

The notion that a mask with exhalation valves is “most likely” better than a disposable N95 is moronic and you are a moron.

Oh shut the gently caress up you insufferable prick

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

astral posted:

If anyone is still hunting for some disinfectant spray, you can place an order for this one for shipping on/around August 8:

https://www.amazon.com/Windex-Multi-Surface-Disinfectant-Cleaner-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B01GFLZ46W/

:goon:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Illuminti posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up you insufferable prick

I’ll shut up when you stop saying poo poo that is objectively stupid and false you cretin. I.e. never.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I see it in stock again (on August 21 now though) so might be worth refreshing every so often to see if it changes.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Unemployment in Florida maxes out at $275 a week. Florida is also unique in that it cuts off unemployment benefits after 12 weeks. Every other state provides 26+ weeks of coverage.

what? no they don't. Most of the south has a 3ish month limit.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

20 Blunts posted:

I have some coming in within maybe a week that have the valves. I think I'm going to glue them shut if possible. Otherwise I can seal them with tape or possibly put cloth over/behind them.

That's my plan at least. I'll have to see what it looks like when I get it.

I believe the one I'll be getting, you can actually pop out and take the valve apart. So it should be pretty easy to get a 100% seal around the valve. I hope.

edit: it came up earlier when I posted what I ordered and someone told me that the valves aren't actually filtered, which I thought they were.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 24, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
if it makes you feel any better this is what 3m says about valves

quote:

Can the valve on a respirator result in the release of particles containing germs if the wearer is infected with a disease that spreads through the air?
Currently, 3M is not aware of any studies on whether airborne germs exit a respirator through the exhalation valve. To date, no guidance has been issued by the CDC, WHO, or NIOSH on this issue.
Government-certified/approved respirators such as N95, FFP2, KN95, and similar are designed to help reduce the wearer’s exposure to airborne contaminants. In addition, the breathing rate of people during normal or sedentary work is relatively low. As a result, the valve on a filtering
facepiece respirator would not be expected to open very far during exhalation, which would create only a limited path for the large aerosols expelled by the wearer to navigate. Particle physics predicts that at least some of the wearer-generated aerosols would impact on the back of the valve instead of exiting out through the valve opening.

Since there have been no published studies on this topic, it cannot be definitively said that no virus-containing aerosols expelled by a wearer would exit the respirator through the exhalation valve.
Note that surgical masks, procedural masks and face coverings – which are often worn to control the spread of infectious diseases – are not designed to fit tightly to the face and have gaps around the face through which air will leak both inward when the wearer inhales and outward when the wearer exhales, potentially including expelled particles.

Should tape be placed over the exhalation valve of respirators to help protect the surrounding environment from exhaled air?
Taping over or otherwise covering a respirator valve voids the regulatory approval and may impact how the respirator functions. 3M does not recommend altering respirators that are worn for the purpose of reducing wearer exposure to airborne
hazards.
3M respirators are intended to help protect the wearer. They do this by helping reduce the wearer’s exposure to airborne contaminants. When properly selected and worn, 3M respirators are safe and effective for this use. This includes 3M respirators with valves. Exhalation valves help reduce breathing resistance when the wearer exhales (breathes out). Those valves open only when the wearer exhales, helping air exit the respirator. Currently 3M is not aware of any studies on the risk of infectious material exiting through the exhalation valve of respirators.

from their document revised june 2020
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1791526O/respiratory-protection-faq-general-public-tb.pdf

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hmm, that's interesting.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
weirdly though, before the paragraph I posted, they say this-

quote:

While a valve does not change a respirator’s ability to help reduce a wearer’s exposure to bioaerosols, it is not recommended that a person who is exhibiting symptoms of illness wear a valved respirator, because there is a possibility that exhaled particles may leave the respirator via the valve opening and enter the surrounding environment, potentially spreading the disease.

pick a lane 3m!

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

I’ll shut up when you stop saying poo poo that is objectively stupid and false you cretin. I.e. never.

Alright tubs, calm down. I'm not writing press releases for the CDC. I was mistaken, but I was at least being pleasant.

I'm flattered by the attention from such a storied and hilarious poster such as yourself though

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
i like this chart but i wish it was more nuanced and not like a bad character selection screen from a shovelware fighting game

this one seems more effective at the same message:

so yeah, the only thing you're really going to check off protects me from you and you from me, is a properly fitted/sealed n95, everything else is one or the other. in a perfect world valves wouldn't matter because everyone would be wearing sealed proper protection that protects them but this is hellworld.

3ms stance is basically "valves are most likely bad but none of y'all have proven it so your call bros" which is annoying to be honest

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 24, 2020

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

i like this chart but i wish it was more nuanced and not like a bad character selection screen from a shovelware fighting game

Activate carbon, stop odor? Yes what a chart

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

nocal posted:

Activate carbon, stop odor? Yes what a chart

they mighta missed a d in there but activated carbon filters might protect smells, not so much this..it's pretty much just good for odor control

they should probably just make a chart on protection/source control

cloth, source control yes, protection no
sponge, source yes, protection no
carbon filter maks, source yes, protection no
surgical, source yes, protection no
x95 fitted masks source yes, protection yes
x95 valved masks, source no, protection yes
valved respirators, source no, protection yes

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 24, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

if it makes you feel any better this is what 3m says about valves

from their document revised june 2020
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1791526O/respiratory-protection-faq-general-public-tb.pdf

EXCUSE me I'm an internet expert and have heard valves bad. So valves are bad and I preach that even without any studies to back myself up. Also masks don't work. Masks are super hard to properly fit and well beyond the abilities of people.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My company has multiple offices in the US and Europe. While there are things that are not ideal in terms of company politics etc. I am glad my CEO doesn't gently caress around when it comes to Covid. We were mandatory WFH worldwide from April, he holds biweekly status briefings for all employees, straight up said back in May we never have to return to an office and can WFH forever, and formed a research group to find out how offices can even work right now and in the future. They then opened 3 offices as trial runs on a voluntary basis. But when people in the Houston office said they were feeling unsafe in their state due to the surge in Texas he immediately shut the office down again no questions asked.

I guess what I am saying is not all companies are dumb about Covid, there is still hope.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

EXCUSE me I'm an internet expert and have heard valves bad. So valves are bad and I preach that even without any studies to back myself up. Also masks don't work. Masks are super hard to properly fit and well beyond the abilities of people.

Yes I remember this clearly. Once wearing a mask people involuntarily wipe their hands over all surfaces and stuff them into their mouths. A lot of people in this thread were very clear on that point

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Exhaust valves shouldn't be used don't be loving dense

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

unpacked robinhood posted:

Exhaust valves shouldn't be used don't be loving dense

Yes I know this now. Mea culpa. Still don't think the poster who was berating himself for getting one should have been quite so harsh on himself though. Especially when his isolating is 10x more effective at stopping the spread than having a mask with valves or not.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I woke up to a fb meme that is "people eat bad food, and they think masks will protect them against diseases, ??" and now I'm angry, thanks social media.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zer0spunk posted:

3ms stance is basically "valves are most likely bad but none of y'all have proven it so your call bros" which is annoying to be honest

Yeah I tried to find guidance on respirators earlier in the pandemic.

Health authorities were interested in the valves making breathing easier and worried about valves only inasmuch as they have the potential for backflow that could harm the wearer.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/pdfs/ElastomericPAPR-Healthcare-508.pdf

Even during the H1N1 pandemic, CDC was like “just don’t use them in surgical suites”.

quote:

In what settings could elastomeric respirators be considered an alternative to disposable N95 respirators?

Elastomeric half-mask and full facepiece respirators with N95 or higher particulate filters can be considered as options for respiratory protection of healthcare personnel in certain settings where N95 respirators are not available. While there is little accumulated experience with their use in patient care settings, they do offer some advantages over disposable N95 respirators, including greater durability and their ability to be cleaned and re-used by the same user or by multiple users. In addition, full facepiece respirators offer a greater level of respiratory protection, as well as eye protection. Disadvantages in healthcare settings include the lack of healthcare personnel experienced in their use; the need for devices to be routinely inspected, cleaned, and disinfected; interference with communication with patients and coworkers and the presence of exhalation valves precluding their use in sterile fields. Effective communication with patients and other personnel is also generally limited when wearing these devices. Although elastomeric respirators may not be a practical option for use in many patient care settings, their use even in limited situations, such as aerosol-generating procedures and in clinical laboratory settings would increase the supply of disposable N95 respirators for other uses.

Tangentially related curse:

We had the better part of a decade to unfuck our poo poo.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 24, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Illuminti posted:

I was mistaken, but I was at least being pleasant.
you were also very confident, and a combination of "wrong, confident, nice" always produces worse outcomes than "correct, a dick" or "wrong, humble" this looks badly misguided and appears to judge masks only as for "do they protect the wearer", as even sponge masks are community protective on account of breaking air flow, and not just for fashion

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Well there's a number of considerations. For one, yes not being able to get disposable N95s wet was an issue for decontamination. Heat was another. One of the most common ways of decontaminating things in a hospital is steam sterilization, typically at 121°C or 132°C. Both the moisture and temperatures that high could have compromised the masks. I could imagine this being an issue with some reusable respirators as well, as 132°C IIRC is above or near the limits of the temperatures that some synthetic rubbers can handle.The more common methods I've seen with the disposable N95s are either gently "blooming" the mask and then using a couple big industrial UV-C lamps to blast rows of them at a time or some variation of hydrogen peroxide vapor sterilization. As far as "being sure it's safe", it'd never be as simple as dunking it in a soap bath and hanging it out to dry. I mean you don't just dunk your hands in soapy water when you're washing them. Air pockets, bubbles, little crevices, that sort of thing. Do you gently scrub it to get in the cracks? Rotate it around in the bath? Don't forget you want as little manual involvement as possible by the technician decontaminating things to lower their infection risk. Does it kill other pathogens? That's actually a big issue. Let's not forget that HCWs may be dealing with more than just COVID, so if you're decontaminating things it has to get it all (presumably you're not throwing out the big reusable masks every time they're "visibly soiled" like a lot of the N95 decontamination protocols called for). I'm not sure how well UV-C would work on those since they generally can't be flattened out, but let's say for the sake of argument some sort of hydrogen peroxide vapor setup worked. Whatever process you use, you're likely having to build some sort of new ad-hoc facility to decontaminate things if they can't go through the "normal" sterilization methods and need to be done in large batches.

So then you've got the issue of volume. How many masks would, say, an average nurse need? One likely isn't enough, since it'd be hard to guarantee that an entire shift's worth could be decontaminated overnight. Are the masks "assigned" to each HCW? Or after decontamination to they go back into a general pool and you just get them reassigned as if they're "fresh" (this was not a popular idea with the HCWs by the way). Let's assume they're assigned then. So now I need to collect, transport, sterilize, track, and store multiple masks per nurse. That's a nightmare in terms of logistics. Can you even purchase them in the volumes you'd need right now?

But here's the other thing, a big issue with repeated decontamination like that is if I'm a HCW, how much trust do I have in a repeated process where if a step goes wrong I get COVID? A disposable mask? If it gets all COVID covered from a patient, as long as I safely doff it (which when done incorrectly is a key point of potential infection) then it just goes in the trash and I'm not worrying about what was on it. But a mask being repeatedly decontaminated on a daily basis? What if something gets missed in the process? What if a spot gets missed and a bit of the virus survives? Like even the idea of reusing a mask *once* was a bridge too far for some, and now you're telling them they have to trust that not only is the process getting *everything* every time, but that it's not weakening the seal somehow or reducing the effectiveness of the filter?

Long story short it's a hell of a challenge and a real morale hit even with limited decontamination of disposable N95s. Relying exclusively on a similar process for big reusable respirators really wasn't considered practical. Even decontaminating the disposables was viewed as a last ditch effort to save time until more disposables could be obtained.
Thanks, good effort post. Especially the "hospitals have more than covid" bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

unpacked robinhood posted:

Any pointers for KN95 masks in europe ? Amazon is a deluge of bullshit.

Look for local suppliers for industry that also do online orders, most have legit FFP2 disposables in stock. If you are in the UK shoot me a PM and I can reccomend some.