Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sab669 posted:

Anyone have a resource for greenstuffing something that looks what this Malignant Plaguecaster is spewing out of his hand?

I want to try and make a giant globule for a Plagueburst Crawler

Maybe try one of these?

https://armorcast.com/cinematic-effects/?sort=featured&page=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I've been working on improving my painting while I can't play games, and I'm very happy with my progress.

Close up on the eye lenses from earlier in the project.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

Anyone have a resource for greenstuffing something that looks what this Malignant Plaguecaster is spewing out of his hand?

Do you have a hot glue gun?

1) Make several strips of hot glue on a piece of wax/parchment paper that are thick at one end and taper down to a point at the other.

2) Find two that are roughly the same size/shape, and hot glue them together to make a lumpy cone.

3) Add more hot glue to the thick end to bulk it up / give it some random bubbles / etc.

You can also put a blob of glue down and embed your hot glue cone into it to make a nice looking stalagmite / icicle.

This one was left over from when I did my white dragon, I hit it with a quick nuln oil to make the surface texture more visible. Acrylic paint adheres to hot glue pretty well.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Siiick, these might be exactly what I want - https://armorcast.com/acfx044-scraptech-jump-rocket-blast-3pk/

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I wish I had a better vampiric mini but I'm making do with what I have on hand - still very much a proof of concept WIP but pretty happy considering I have no idea what I'm doing.

I did discover that unlike synthetics, cotton-wool fibre catches and burns very quickly instead of frizzling off.

https://i.imgur.com/UYQ0zbq.mp4

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Cool vampire. Is that a diorama for fun or are you using it for something?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Just for funsies, got a couple weeks off so finding things keep myself busy

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Does anyone have a quick and relatively painless way of how to sculpt a slouch hat onto a head? Want to do it for a conversion idea but no idea how to pull it off due to bad experience with green stuff sculpting.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I redid the basing material on the ghostkeel and am much happier with it and can't wait to use this guy in a game, it's just vallejo snow but i don't know if I should do anything else to it like washing, drybrushing, or applying a gloss varnish

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

I redid the basing material on the ghostkeel and am much happier with it and can't wait to use this guy in a game, it's just vallejo snow but i don't know if I should do anything else to it like washing, drybrushing, or applying a gloss varnish

Maybe a thinned down grey or a very thin blue wash?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GigaFuzz posted:

Maybe a thinned down grey or a very thin blue wash?

I've used a super thin blue wash on my last attempts so I may do it on a tester base and see.

And by super thin I mean like 1.5ml of water and one brushload of gulliman blue glaze was enough

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Cooked Auto posted:

Does anyone have a quick and relatively painless way of how to sculpt a slouch hat onto a head? Want to do it for a conversion idea but no idea how to pull it off due to bad experience with green stuff sculpting.

Not really but Victoria Miniatures just released a slouch hat pack and have heads with slouch hats.

https://victoriaminiatures.com/search?type=product%2Carticle%2Cpage&q=Slouch

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

Not really but Victoria Miniatures just released a slouch hat pack and have heads with slouch hats.

https://victoriaminiatures.com/search?type=product%2Carticle%2Cpage&q=Slouch

Yeah I know, only issue is the shipping cost from Australia all the way to the EU is almost as much as the hats themselves. Hence why I was considering just trying to sculpt as I really need one hat.
And I know about the Anvil and Mad Robot Boonies as well.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Painted some stuff for the first time in a while. They still need transfers but I'll do that when the team is finished.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Cooked Auto posted:

Sculpt 5 slouch hats. The fifth will be better than the first. Keep the intended wearer of the hat close by to compare size of hat to keep things scaled. Keep a picture of what you want visible as you sculpt.
It might help to roll out a piece of putty flat between two pieces of plastic film (baggie) for the brim, then trim out the shape of it. Then attach the top part to the brim.
It may also help to carve the top of the head flat where you want the hat to be.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Painted some stuff for the first time in a while. They still need transfers but I'll do that when the team is finished.

Dang, those look excellent.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thank you. I was trying to stick to a relatively limited palette and going for dark shades that would read as black without being being monotonous. I'm very happy with how they've turned out.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Those are niiiiice.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Very smooth. Is that a blood bowl team or something else? (forgive my ignorance)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Cheers. They are indeed for Blood Bowl, Chaos Chosen.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 24, 2020

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Getting back into 40k after about 16 years away from it.

I'm restocking the paint supply and I'm pretty much sticking with Citadel for now, just because, though pricey compared to some, it's reliable and I'm just trying to knock out a small force to start gaming with.

I keep seeing/hearing about these Contrast paints? What are they? GW sites make them sound like the I-Don't-Like-Painting Painters dream. Other, third party sites, kind of call them similar to washes. I'd almost prefer if they were like a base layer/wash in one, because i do want to go back to the bare bones finished models and get highlights, etc, into them after I get a game ready force done.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They basically are a paint and wash in one.

Its gimmick is that you blob a thick coat on, then liquid physics magic happens and the pigment gets more into the recesses while leaving raised surfaces more transparent.

You end up seeing more white (primer) through where highlights ought to be, and more dark pigments where your shadows should go.

It's a good tool for everybody, but people online get mad about it for a lot of dumb reasons unrelated to anything.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Spiv posted:

Getting back into 40k after about 16 years away from it.

I'm restocking the paint supply and I'm pretty much sticking with Citadel for now, just because, though pricey compared to some, it's reliable and I'm just trying to knock out a small force to start gaming with.

I keep seeing/hearing about these Contrast paints? What are they? GW sites make them sound like the I-Don't-Like-Painting Painters dream. Other, third party sites, kind of call them similar to washes. I'd almost prefer if they were like a base layer/wash in one, because i do want to go back to the bare bones finished models and get highlights, etc, into them after I get a game ready force done.

Contrast paints are basically a very runny thin new paint that when painted onto a light based model (Seer Grey, Corax White, Wraithbone etc) run into recesses a bit like a wash does. They don’t need thinning out and you literally just gloop it onto the model with wild abandon, so you can get a huge amount of coverage in a short space of time.

You can paint models entirely using contrast and some people have done some impressive stuff, but I think most people use the contrast to get the main colours down rapidly and then use traditional methods to finish the model.

It has its downsides though. It works really badly on anything with large flat surfaces, so you want to avoid them with models like tanks. They also have to be based in a light colour - you can get neat effects if you use contrast over retributor gold/silver but it flat out won’t work with chaos black.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Some people get mad because it's "too easy", just like when GW's washes came out. They did it "the hard way", and now people can just get great results with very little effort. So they feel cheated somehow, as if the people using contrast paint aren't putting in enough effort to deserve a good result.

"Talent in a can" is used as an insult, when it should be embraced for being a really great tool in the arsenal. It's not the be-all end-all of paints, but it is super handy.

It's just whining. No one is stopping them from doing it the old-school way, and there are even more great high-pigment basecoat paints available now than ever before.

Use whichever paints you like.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Working my way through the sisters. Made Kyganil a redhead due to the fact that he is so disliked by everyone :)

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

I might get a couple pots to try out; at the very least, I can donate them to my wife for her Orks (since she has considerably less time than me to paint) if I don't like them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

you can get neat effects if you use contrast over retributor gold/silver but it flat out won’t work with chaos black.

Not to toot my own horn, but I think the Ork Flesh contrast looks absolutely beautiful over a silver base

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MfW2ishT5qVHjdh46

Although as you also said, Contrast does not look good on flat surfaces, even small shields never mind full vehicles;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WYnn91dKcxqCQRbk7

So if anyone knows a way to make a good metallic green that will work on large flat surfaces, please please please tell me :)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 24, 2020

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

Not to toot my own horn, but I think the Ork Flesh contrast looks absolutely beautiful over a silver base

Although as you also said, Contrast does not look good on flat surfaces, even small shields never mind full vehicles;

So if anyone knows a way to make a good metallic green that will work on large flat surfaces, please please please tell me :)

This is theory, as I haven't tried it, but maybe this, mixed with green: https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/product/hobby/auxiliaries-model/metal-medium-70521/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've tried adding that stuff before but it just doesn't come out like I want it to.

Maybe I just wasn't adding enough, or thinning the green enough - didn't experiment a whole lot with it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

how about green ink over a metallic basecoat?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've never experimented with ink much, but I gotta run to the hobby store this weekend so maybe I'll grab a bottle

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, I just started painting last year shortly after contrast came out, and I love them, especially over metallics.

I just did this cloak recently, and its contrast over Army Painter plate mail. I also did up a primaris kill team really quickly using contrast paints. Grey is now my go to primer just in case I decide to use contrast on something.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

I've had pretty ok results with Volupus Pink, but the trick is to use a very, very small amount and spread it as thinly as you can. It's still probably going to be uneven, but if you're careful you can control sort of get it to pool in interesting ways. If you use an old or frayed brush you can then stipple some straight silver in some of the thinner places to make it look like the paint's been worn away. For shields like those I'd think would also help if you pointed the shield upward so that as the contrast paint pulls itself towards the edges of the shield as it dries rather than towards the bottom.

Every other technique for tinted metallics I'm aware of pretty much requires an airbrush, so if you're wanting it to look pristine and even that's your best bet. You can airbrush contrast paints on but I think airbrushing transparent inks is cheaper and will have the same effect. The fact that we can even come close to a good-looking tinted metallic with a brush-on paint now is pretty phenomenal.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 24, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Like everything else, Contrasts are a tool. They will do some things well and other things awfully. But they are certainly worth playing with.

The fur on those beastmen involves contrast as one of the steps, and more noticeably I used contrast as an all over wash to shade the skin on the blocker before a more traditional layering and highlight..

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

contrast seems like it would be a good way to get not-terrible hair on a model pretty quickly. anyone had success with that?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

My favorite way is to mix ink into the metals. The alchemy colors from scale 75 are also very good, but they aren't very color intense.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Every other technique for tinted metallics I'm aware of pretty much requires an airbrush, so if you're wanting it to look pristine and even that's your best bet. You can airbrush contrast paints on but I think airbrushing transparent inks is cheaper and will have the same effect.

4-6 Days until my airbrush finally arrives :dance:

I want to paint a Shokkjump Dragsta in a pristine metallic green, so yea even the most delicate and meticulous of brushed on contrasts isn't really an option for what I've wanted to do for a while.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

jesus WEP posted:

contrast seems like it would be a good way to get not-terrible hair on a model pretty quickly. anyone had success with that?

High detail areas like hair are pretty much perfect for Contrast. Depending on what colour you're using you might want to thin it a bit with Contrast medium (to retain the properties), as some colours are very strong. Especially the browner browns.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

The lucious locks on the dude on the left are one pass with... I think aggaros dunes?

These models are good examples of what just contrast does. Pretty ok models done in like 30 minutes each.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

4-6 Days until my airbrush finally arrives :dance:

Look into the craft store color-shift paints, particularly the ones that have a [main color]-to-purple shift. You can thin these down enough to airbrush them and if you paint them over black you can get an amazing black to metallic blue transition that's difficult to explain.

ebay miniature rescues used it in one of his videos and it's something I've always wished I could try.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

jesus WEP posted:

It has become my go-to way of doing black hair (Black Templar contrast) or white/grey hair (Apothecary White contrast). Works well for very little effort.

Anyway, this week I've been finishing my Captain Zipp crew for Malifaux.

Captain Zipp. I'm pleased with how the jet pack trail came out, but it photographs badly, the transitions in the flame are smoother with the naked eye, honest.

Earl Burns, Black Templar contrast over chain mail makes for a nice metallic black for the manacles.

The First Mate. The anchor is again contrast over metallic, then edge highlighted with the base metallic.

Mancha Roja. I like that hes having a good time.

Johan Creedy. Feel like this big lad should have a bigger base tbh, there are smaller malifaux figures that come on larger bases (for example Mancha Roja).

Gracie. The improvised armour was fun to paint, decided not to go overboard on the weathering like I originally planned.

Group shot including the Iron Skeeters I painted a while back.