Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

the main AAA exclusive for the brand new console looks worse than a console exclusive launch title from the current gen.

Not a great way to sell new hardware

I dont disagree. Hell ill go so far as to say *Halo* is a bad thing to pin your console sales on in general.

And i was just giving my perspective on it. Was just weighing in to weigh in. Not to counter anyone else or detract from what anyone else was saying.

Im not even Halo's typical audience. I played it when i was younger but these days i just play it for some coop campaign a little and thats it. I think it mostly looks like its aged into its art style poorly, and that its writing has become a terrible self parody. Its mostly one of those trainwreck things i play cause Rifftrax and Red Letter Media gave me brain worms and i like trainwrecky things. So im probably gonna play it regardless of whether or not its good. Cause im subscribed to game pass for other reasons, and halo will be on there. Really low stakes for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TheScott2K posted:

Just loving floored at how little they have, how bad what they do have looks like it's going to be (Halo), and how unnecessary Forza Motorsport is.

Imagine buying a new xbox

personally i'd love to say i was excited about a new forza game, but the series peaked with 4, and 7 was a fuckin gigantic turd, so, welp

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Talkc posted:

I dont disagree. Hell ill go so far as to say *Halo* is a bad thing to pin your console sales on in general.

Halo hasn't been good in a decade and there's no sign that 343 can make a masterful game, so putting it as it's launch killer app is really bad yeah. Especially when it doesn't even have good graphics by current gen standards even Killzone shadow fall could at least fall back on that.
Also if MS keeps with its plan to have its games on PC too then the faster data rate of the SSD on the new xbox won't mean more than faster loading times if games still need to cater to PCs with older SDD unlike the PS5 which only needs to worry about the single faster speed of the PS5 for its first party games so you could actually see new things that are impossible on current SSD. Seems the idea that MS is focusing on the game service subscription is probably right, the new xbox is like a PC-lite instead of a next gen console.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

“Early in development” on a Forza game could still mean its out next fall I think.

I am kinda curious what 2021 looks like for them, though. All that’s announced are Psychonauts 2 and the console version of Flight Sim I think? Maybe AoE4 gets a 2021 date?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anno posted:

“Early in development” on a Forza game could still mean its out next fall I think.

I am kinda curious what 2021 looks like for them, though. All that’s announced are Psychonauts 2 and the console version of Flight Sim I think? Maybe AoE4 gets a 2021 date?

They eventually need to port gears tactics i suppose

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

personally i'd love to say i was excited about a new forza game, but the series peaked with 4, and 7 was a fuckin gigantic turd, so, welp

4 really did basically nail what that kind of game is supposed to be. If in TYOOL 2020 you're still driving cars around tracks, iRacing (or even GT Sport) makes so much more sense as a use of your time than FM.

A Forza Horizon that took place somewhere actually good would scratch the car collecting itch much better.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Real hurthling! posted:

They eventually need to port gears tactics i suppose

For some reason I thought that was a this-year launch thing.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Honestly I’m too deeply entrenched in the Xbox system to care about any of this poo poo as long as they keep up backwards compatibility. Like Baraduk I live in Japan and there are numerous reasons to switch to PS5, but I’m not giving up this massive library and I’m not hooking up another system (along with the Switch) to the TV in our little condo.

I’m a ride-or-die Microsoft bitch at this point.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

This show is so bad that even with the second stimulus check incoming (I still have money from the first) I still won't buy a series x for a while and I bought the one x when it came out.

I literally have more spare cash than before and I'm just looking at this entire show and going 'naaaaah I can wait'

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Fly Ricky posted:

Honestly I’m too deeply entrenched in the Xbox system to care about any of this poo poo as long as they keep up backwards compatibility. Like Baraduk I live in Japan and there are numerous reasons to switch to PS5, but I’m not giving up this massive library and I’m not hooking up another system (along with the Switch) to the TV in our little condo.

I’m a ride-or-die Microsoft bitch at this point.

:respek:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

hambeet posted:

is it l4d meets spacehulk?

wait, isn't that already a game?

It is, but it wasn't very good and wasn't by Fatshark.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

TheScott2K posted:

Just loving floored at how little they have, how bad what they do have looks like it's going to be (Halo), and how unnecessary Forza Motorsport is.

Imagine buying a new xbox

I'll buy both consoles eventually but I see no reason to buy either this year. Forza being so far away is a big part of that, and the PS5 doesn't really have much for me at the moment. Looks like I'll throw my money at upgrading my PC and enjoying Cyberpunk 2077 instead.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
:hmbol::hmbol::hmbol:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1286640037153648640

Xbox Marketing GM Aaron Greenberg responded to criticism about Infinite's graphics, saying: "Listen, we're in the middle of a global pandemic. It's July, we're far from [launch in] Holiday, you're seeing a work-in-progress game."

Aaron responds to feedback “ It's very hard to show the full power and graphical fidelity of what Xbox Series X will be able to deliver for you over a stream. Go back and look at it in 4K 60," referring to the fact that the stream was delivered live in 1080p, but the gameplay premiere can be viewed in 4K 60 FPS on the Halo YouTube channel.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pc is the right choice. They couldnt keep 1x on shelves for more than 33 months, its crazy to have faith in sx.

Terminally Bored posted:

Xbox Marketing GM Aaron Greenberg responded to criticism about Infinite's graphics, saying: "Listen, we're in the middle of a global pandemic. It's July, we're far from [launch in] Holiday, you're seeing a work-in-progress game."

Aaron responds to feedback “ It's very hard to show the full power and graphical fidelity of what Xbox Series X will be able to deliver for you over a stream. Go back and look at it in 4K 60," referring to the fact that the stream was delivered live in 1080p, but the gameplay premiere can be viewed in 4K 60 FPS on the Halo YouTube channel.

No one at xbox can be trusted when they talk look at these words

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 24, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

"Listen, we're in the middle of a global pandemic. It's July, we're far from [launch in] Holiday, you're seeing a work-in-progress game."l.

The game has been in development since at least 2018

:thunk:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Shiney rocks? Cool.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Real hurthling! posted:

Pc is the right choice. They couldnt keep 1x on shelves for more than 33 months, its crazy to have faith in sx.

No one at xbox can be trusted when they talk look at these words

look, listen, listen puts hand on your shoulder listen.... Listen. It's early ok? We're not 3 months out from launch ok? Ok my guy? Listen.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Is Halo Infinite going to release on PC also, or are they genuinely thinking that it will be a system-seller?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Terminally Bored posted:

I know people that viewed it in 4K said it didn’t look better

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
LOL Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is actually coming out to switch.

Literally the only two games that were interesting in the Xbox games thing were Balan Wonderland and PSO2:New Genesis and they're both coming out to a system I already have lol.

However, on the english website it's listed for only Xbox/PC, so the question is, is it exclusive for North America microsoft only?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Al-Saqr posted:

LOL Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is actually coming out to switch.

Literally the only two games that were interesting in the Xbox games thing were Balan Wonderland and PSO2:New Genesis and they're both coming out to a system I already have lol.

However, on the english website it's listed for only Xbox/PC, so the question is, is it exclusive for North America microsoft only?

Likely yes... the current PSO2 is out for many systems in Japan but the only way to play it officially in English in the US is on Xbox.

I actually want though the steps to set up the various accounts to play the Switch version here but because of its streaming design, it’s impossible to play here.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Likely yes... the current PSO2 is out for many systems in Japan but the only way to play it officially in English in the US is on Xbox.

I actually want though the steps to set up the various accounts to play the Switch version here but because of its streaming design, it’s impossible to play here.

Yeah I was informed shortly after I made that post that the switch version in japan is streaming-only and will likely still be the case with this one. thats a shame lol.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pso2 is coming to steam likely when its year on xbox is up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

D1E posted:

Is Halo Infinite going to release on PC also, or are they genuinely thinking that it will be a system-seller?

It will be in Windows 1 store, and Steam.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I know people that viewed it in 4K said it didn’t look better

As I said already I did think it looks better when I was able to do that, but still not like a 'next gen' game in any sense.

We're starting now to get more articles with similar skeptical takes from the media.. Eurogamer have two already
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-24-we-should-talk-about-how-halo-infinite-looks
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-24-microsoft-still-hasnt-made-the-case-for-xbox-series-x

This pretty much sums it up:

quote:

Bearing in mind Halo Infinite's underwhelming looks, all of a sudden Xbox's pro-cross-gen stance sounds less like a strategy than like a rationale to explain away a last-gen game that got itself delayed into the launch window for the next console, and thus had to release on both - Zelda: Breath of the Wild style.
The hardware reveal went well - unsurprisingly, since it had been so carefully rehearsed with Xbox One X a couple of years previously. But we have yet to see anything that shows those impressive stats in action, and corporate strategy seems once again to be getting in the way of what players want to see and hear.

They've failed in giving us any reason to buy a Series X this year.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I saw the "its a 6 month old build" horseshit and just laughing. The people responsible for the decision making involving the Halo 6 demo are not good at their jobs and I am based in Japan so just call me if you'd maybe like to fix your god awful D2C work in APAC or worldwide.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Like, did Halo 4 and 5 make that big of an impact that they think that making Halo Infinite was necessary?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Red Warrior posted:

As I said already I did think it looks better when I was able to do that, but still not like a 'next gen' game in any sense.

We're starting now to get more articles with similar skeptical takes from the media.. Eurogamer have two already
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-24-we-should-talk-about-how-halo-infinite-looks
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-24-microsoft-still-hasnt-made-the-case-for-xbox-series-x

This pretty much sums it up:

They've failed in giving us any reason to buy a Series X this year.

Skeptically comparing halo to breath of the wild ftw

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Al-Saqr posted:

Like, did Halo 4 and 5 make that big of an impact that they think that making Halo Infinite was necessary?

Imagine if, after SMB3, Miyamoto left the company to go play with beetles or whatever it is he likes to do with his spare time and Nintendo had some random team they cobbled together develop Mario games for the last 30 years.

That’s Microsoft and Halo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Please don't compare Bungie to Miyamoto.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Al-Saqr posted:

They didn't make enough of an impact, that's why Infinite is necessary, why it drops the '6'. They're shaking it up and essentially giving it a soft reboot, they want to evoke the aesthetic and feeling of wonder of the first game, expanding it into something more open world, and maybe they have done that, we will see when we actually get to play it.

But they've stumbled badly by making it their first tentpole for the next generation and giving it a very uninspiring showing in that light.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

They sold in the multiple millions of units, so yes. The issue is 343 lacks a vision for the franchise beyond "its more Halo" which is the same loving issue plaguing Gears of War.

Gears of War is extra frustrating when I found out a perfect person to fix their poo poo was hired as a consultant on 5 (Maybe it was 4, its been a while so my memory isn't totally perfect here) but not from a mechanical standpoint.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Real hurthling! posted:

Skeptically comparing halo to breath of the wild ftw

It's a comparison as to the situation the games are being released in, not to their relative quality.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gears 5 is what has me convinced Halo Infinite is going to be a trainwreck. The open world poo poo there ruined that game's campaign

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Red Warrior posted:

It's a comparison as to the situation the games are being released in, not to their relative quality.

I know
its a hopeful comparison tho

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gears 5 open world was aesthetically nice in the red sand area but like, it didn't make any sense why it existed and the ice area was, well, an ice area. The best part of its campaign was the ridiculously brief bits where your bullets get blown around by the wind or terrain exploded and reformed as you fought or you fight with disposable robot allies, and it just felt like an almost criminal misallocation of resources to not have expanded those and instead made "open empty ice zone where the single unmarked house has a temporary slightly nicer weapon"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've got a more mundane theory about Gold. I suspect the breakdown of subscription services will have a format similar to this.

XBL Gold will still exist if that's all you want.
Gamepass for Xbox will have XBL Gold folded into it (kind of like how if you subscribe to PS Now, all PS Now games you download or stream have all online benefits aside from system-level cloud saves if you don't otherwise have PS+).
Gamepass for PC will keep doing its thing.
Gamepass Ultimate will give you all of the above as well as THE CLOUD.

Barudak posted:

Buddy, I'm buying one and I live in Japan and if you look at my posts in this fine forum you will see I am very very not the right target audience for most things if you want them to "succeed"

I'm legit curious on your reasoning here, actually. Are all your online gaming buddies all Xbox? You don't want to just stick with an Xbox One X? Will you get a PS5? Any reason you can't just get a PS5? (I'm assuming you might not have a gaming PC?)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It still cracks me up that the Locust are ‘defeated’ in Gears 3 but Gears 4/5 just brings them back with a slightly different gimmick and a palette swap.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

It still cracks me up that the Locust are ‘defeated’ in Gears 3 but Gears 4/5 just brings them back with a slightly different gimmick and a palette swap.
You're gonna lose your mind when I introduce you to this Bowser character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

univbee posted:

I'm legit curious on your reasoning here, actually. Are all your online gaming buddies all Xbox? You don't want to just stick with an Xbox One X? Will you get a PS5? Any reason you can't just get a PS5? (I'm assuming you might not have a gaming PC?)

I have no PC at all right now, and my experience with constant catastrophic PC failure has conditioned me to avoid for gaming. I had a PS4 in the states but after evaluating I was getting massively more value out of gamepass than I was from PSNow, the PS4 was stupid loud, and unlike basically everyone else I really have not enjoyed Sony's first party offerings since the PS3 era, especially not at 60 bucks a pop. My favorite Sony PS4 game was Ratchet and Clank*. The only game in Sony's showcase I had any interest in was once again Ratchet and Clank, and it has no date.

So for me its mostly gamepass is, barring a mic drop august Sony show, significantly better than PSNow and the hardware for the SeX is on paper not horribly behind the PS5 like last gen so multiplats I play on gamepass should run fine.

*My current assumption is by the time I can justify getting the PS5 for just the new R&C Sony will have been pressured by gamepass to put it on PSNow along with better games in general and Ill just subscribe to that and play that way instead of buying the system.