Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I mean in a series about sentient locomotives isn't there an implication that the diesel engines essentially caused a genocide of steam engines on the mainland? You can cast Sodor as kind of like a reservation for indigenous peoples and diesels as settler colonists.

And why on Earth am I thinking about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If we're really going down this rabbit hole, Duck's not in the right but Diesel's go-to response was to functionally undermine the whole yard just to get back at one engine, which is downright toxic for any professional environment. He got fired sent away on his own merits.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean in a series about sentient locomotives isn't there an implication that the diesel engines essentially caused a genocide of steam engines on the mainland? You can cast Sodor as kind of like a reservation for indigenous peoples and diesels as settler colonists.

And why on Earth am I thinking about this?

Unsurprisingly the story series for kids about sentient talking trains written by a vicar gets weird when you start trying to apply logic to it.

That said... there's one of the later books where a traumatised Percy learns about how The Other Railway (BR) is replacing steam locos with diesels and electrics and how the steam engines are being cut up for scrap (with a suitably graphic illustration of a steam engine - with a face and everything - being advanced on by a workman with an oxycetalene torch. It always spooked me out as a kid).

So within the logic of the books it's the humans - the Controllers - who are deliberately massacring the steam locos in favour of other types on the grounds of efficiency. I'm sure there's a political thesis or two in picking the bones out of that!

Sodor's other GWR engine, Oliver, literally escaped BR - being chased and hunted by diesels as he hid in sidings while moving by night courtesy of sympathetic signalmen - and fled to Sodor with a GWR Autocoach and a Toad-type brake van. So it pretty literally is a reservation or sanctuary. The preserved steam railways in England are treated in a similar fashion.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If we're really going down this rabbit hole, Duck's not in the right but Diesel's go-to response was to functionally undermine the whole yard just to get back at one engine, which is downright toxic for any professional environment. He got fired sent away on his own merits.

True. I actually looked up the story rather than relying on a 25-year old memory (it's remarkable how strongly I remember them...but I read the books a lot as a kid) and you're right. Diesel's as big a jerk as anyone.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

BalloonFish posted:

Unsurprisingly the story series for kids about sentient talking trains written by a vicar gets weird when you start trying to apply logic to it.

That said... there's one of the later books where a traumatised Percy learns about how The Other Railway (BR) is replacing steam locos with diesels and electrics and how the steam engines are being cut up for scrap (with a suitably graphic illustration of a steam engine - with a face and everything - being advanced on by a workman with an oxycetalene torch. It always spooked me out as a kid).

So within the logic of the books it's the humans - the Controllers - who are deliberately massacring the steam locos in favour of other types on the grounds of efficiency. I'm sure there's a political thesis or two in picking the bones out of that!

Sodor's other GWR engine, Oliver, literally escaped BR - being chased and hunted by diesels as he hid in sidings while moving by night courtesy of sympathetic signalmen - and fled to Sodor with a GWR Autocoach and a Toad-type brake van. So it pretty literally is a reservation or sanctuary. The preserved steam railways in England are treated in a similar fashion.

True. I actually looked up the story rather than relying on a 25-year old memory (it's remarkable how strongly I remember them...but I read the books a lot as a kid) and you're right. Diesel's as big a jerk as anyone.

https://ttte.fandom.com/wiki/Scrapped_Engines for the picture. There is an engine in the background with a black hole for a face.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is literally my office right now and this loving train thread has me questioning my workday

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

also Diesel the character was a black class 11. If we're getting into racism.

Isn't that just the standard BR livery for freight and mixed traffic locos? You might be reading just a little bit too much into things here.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

When in doubt, Europeans be racist

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stairmaster posted:

When in doubt, Europeans be racist

Also the British.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

NoWake posted:

Which reminds me of a chart that absolutely blew my mind, courtesy of donoteat and his crew;

"Oh yes, America is too spread out and sparsely populated for passenger rail to work."

The Soviet Union was also poor as poo poo and in a communist country you use what they tell you to/what is available. If we had a planned economy and just chose not to build planes, yeah people would ride the train.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Thank you, youtube algorithm, for showing me this little piece of "wait, what?":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq0aA9RZ1ls

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At first I thought the cars were decoupled from one moving train and coupled onto another moving train.

Also, the latest wtyp episode has a riff on tins of Russian train meat, I absolutely loved it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Itzena posted:

Thank you, youtube algorithm, for showing me this little piece of "wait, what?":

I didn't know grover was a rail systems engineer in a former life.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_WhhRshZCg&t=19s

The derail about reconstituted train meat starts at 19m 30s, but I could only get the timestamp to post to the 19m mark.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The US equivalent of slip coaches would be kicking cars or poleing, but those practices were restricted to freight as far as I know. Both have since been outlawed though I don't know exactly when.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_WhhRshZCg&t=19s

The derail about reconstituted train meat starts at 19m 30s, but I could only get the timestamp to post to the 19m mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_WhhRshZCg&t=1169s

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Itzena posted:

Of course the GWR/Western Region was the last to run slip coaches! I knew they were still around until well into nationalisation, but not that it was a Western thing. I should have known better. You just know they had a meeting at Paddington, while they were still sweeping up the bomb damage and taking down the blackout blinds, discussing "Now, how can we keep being different??"

Fake edit: This made me wonder when the last mixed train (passengers and freight in the same train, excluding passenger-rated goods vehicles such as parcel vans or milk tanks or 'tail traffic' when a single van would be coupled behind a passenger service - something which happened well into the era of diesel multiple units on BR)ran in Britain. I was half-expecting it to be the Western Region...or knowing BR that they were hitching nuclear fuel flasks to the back of the Flying Scotsman until 1990 or something.

The answer is the early 1980s, in the Scottish Highlands. Many of the passenger trains on the West Highland Line would have two coaches, a luggage/parcels van, a couple of tank wagons carrying marine fuel oil and an open wagon for any miscellaneous crates, pallets or bags.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 6, 2020

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Welp, I always knew British trains were poo poo, I just didn't realize HOW poo poo. The idea of no air brakes in 1950 is loving mindboggling to me. The US figured that poo poo out in the 1800's.

Westinghouse.

In 1869, at age 22, Westinghouse invented a railroad braking system using compressed air. The Westinghouse system used a compressor on the locomotive, a reservoir and a special valve on each car, and a single pipe running the length of the train (with flexible connections) which both refilled the reservoirs and controlled the brakes, allowing the engineer to apply and release the brakes simultaneously on all cars. It is a failsafe system, in that any rupture or disconnection in the train pipe will apply the brakes throughout the train. It was patented by Westinghouse on October 28, 1873

It why he had the $$$ to fund Tesla and beat Edison in electrifying the USA.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The US equivalent of slip coaches would be kicking cars or poleing, but those practices were restricted to freight as far as I know. Both have since been outlawed though I don't know exactly when.

im not a train service employee but i dont think kicking cars is outlawed. a conductor on the cn killed himself doing it a few weeks ago.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Kicking isn't outlawed by the Feds, but certain railroads say their employees can't do it. It's just up to management as to whether or not it's kosher.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

where's the rest of the video :aaa:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAEafnwZGfM

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

He's right, you know.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

And then he got fired, probably.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I resemble that remark.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

What's a foamer?

It's some sex thing, isn't it?

:ohdear:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A foamer is someone so overly enthusiastic about trains, they're said to be foaming at the mouth with excitement.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

What's a foamer?

They're the reason I can't tell my coworkers about my hobby because I'll be lumped in with them.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This is a foamer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhYXNwvcl6A

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

What's a foamer?

They've been waiting for this moment for months and it's finally here.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Where's the one where they were waiting for an old steam unit and just as it comes into view a freight train blocks their view

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny Nox posted:

Where's the one where they were waiting for an old steam unit and just as it comes into view a freight train blocks their view

See, watching a video of that happening would be a sex thing...

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

Take your pick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHwOndZw7Ak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciC1lvoTX6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBBK2hjcPuA

:mmmhmm:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Youtube comment posted:

I don't see the problem here...they saw 2 trains instead of 1

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

BalloonFish posted:

Take your pick:

:mmmhmm:

:tipshat:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I like the second one where it is blocked by trains passing in both directions.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This happened to me once while I was out in Wyoming chasing the Big Boy last year. It wasn't the greatest shot anyway though so I wasn't too upset, I caught it in 4 other locations that day.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

I like the second one where it is blocked by trains passing in both directions.

That is a good moment. I'm a big fan of the friendly little 'hee-haw' the driver of the overtaking train gives on the horn in the first vid, just as he draws level with the steamer. That's not because he's approaching the crossing. It's more of a "Hi guys, you've all turned up to see little ol' me? How great! :cheeky:" for the spotters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021