Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Full Warcaster rulebook is up at PP
https://home.privateerpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Warcaster-Rulebook_FULL.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm very interested in the Keepers all of a sudden.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

S.J. posted:

I'm very interested in the Keepers all of a sudden.

:yossame:

I'm hoping there'll at least be a preview in the modelling guide come October

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Just played a pair of 0 point Warmachine games on Wartable and to my delight, it's a really good platform. There's a bit of a learning curve but it really only takes a few minutes of loving around solo to start to get a feel for it and once we got going it was great. I'm looking forward to getting more games in and getting back to full armies and scenarios and all that but my friends and I hadn't played in probably close to a year so we need to relearn everything and get more comfortable with the site.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

No interest in the Legion CID with its Blight Archon and Bethayne 2's Immovable Meat Wall?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

No interest in the Legion CID with its Blight Archon and Bethayne 2's Immovable Meat Wall?

I've been talking about it with my irl friends and I'm actually excited for these changes. My store has a couple of the 2017 boxes sitting around still that're tempting me. The Archangel and other legacy model buffs are pretty good so far, and the new models seem good to great.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

neonchameleon posted:

I haven't looked into it yet, but Legion is my prefered hordes army, so thanks for reminding me

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

neonchameleon posted:

I played a game against Bethayne2 a couple days ago.

That feat is uh, something else. The Legion player just lets you do a bunch of damage that doesn't really mean much, heals some aspects, and then you'll probably lose a lot, if not all of what you alpha struck with.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Hipster Occultist posted:

That feat is uh, something else. The Legion player just lets you do a bunch of damage that doesn't really mean much, heals some aspects, and then you'll probably lose a lot, if not all of what you alpha struck with.

Well it got nerfed this week, so it's a whole new ballgame

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Hipster Occultist posted:

It was supposed to be balanced around the damage not being healable or something? That mechanic has been abandoned and the feat heavily reworked now because it seems no one knew how it worked mechanically.

On unit beast changes, it seems the goal is making a few beasts good rather than raising awful units to some semblance of functionality. Adjustments to the Terraph and the Nephilim Protector are unsurprising, but completely ignoring lessers and the rest of the nephilim in favour of making adjustments to heavies is. Blight Wasps especially, which they broke as part of the 3.5 rules.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Maneck posted:

It was supposed to be balanced around the damage not being healable or something? That mechanic has been abandoned and the feat heavily reworked now because it seems no one knew how it worked mechanically.

On unit beast changes, it seems the goal is making a few beasts good rather than raising awful units to some semblance of functionality. Adjustments to the Terraph and the Nephilim Protector are unsurprising, but completely ignoring lessers and the rest of the nephilim in favour of making adjustments to heavies is. Blight Wasps especially, which they broke as part of the 3.5 rules.

Ah, its entirely possibly it was played wrong, with new poo poo like that mistakes are inevitable. I put Gaspy4 on a Naga Nightluker camping a zone, full 5 focus + a charge, did not kill anything. Never missed either.

What is it now?

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 22, 2020

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Legion player chooses 8 models and can distribute damage amongst them the same way warlocks can distribute damage, but it doesn't cost fury.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I got the shipment notification that my first round of Marcher and Ironstar minis should be arriving monday.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
They timed shipment to match with the release of the 9th ed. of 40k? That's plucky, anyway.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Maneck posted:

They timed shipment to match with the release of the 9th ed. of 40k? That's plucky, anyway.

Given the Kickstarter was....March and this was about the timeframe they planned on shipping wave 1, I don't see why it would be anything but a coincidence. Unless I'm about to get majorly :thejoke:'d

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pyrolocutus posted:

Given the Kickstarter was....March and this was about the timeframe they planned on shipping wave 1, I don't see why it would be anything but a coincidence. Unless I'm about to get majorly :thejoke:'d

I figure they were probably in development at least midway through 2019 if not before that.

To be honest it would be interesting to me to see what the timeline for developing a new game from the ground up would be.

I know back in my early 20's my friend and I decided we were going to make our version of MTG, and after playing once we decided it sucked.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I know back in my early 20's my friend and I decided we were going to make our version of MTG, and after playing once we decided it sucked.
Good on you for recognizing that and not kickstarting it anyway

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I figure they were probably in development at least midway through 2019 if not before that.

To be honest it would be interesting to me to see what the timeline for developing a new game from the ground up would be.

A couple years for this kind of thing, but a lot of that time is spent discarding mechanics and systems and building out releases beyond what you're seeing on release day.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

No joke intended. It's not that PP intentionally released their product at the same time as 9th 40k. Both companies have been developing their respective product for years years and managed to choose the same weekend to ship. Given GW's ability to suck the oxygen out of the room, after GW announced 9th's pending launch, it wouldn't have surprised me at all if PP had unnecessarily delayed shipment for a week or two just to receive more attention when they did launch. Hence, "plucky" for not doing that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Maneck posted:

No joke intended. It's not that PP intentionally released their product at the same time as 9th 40k. Both companies have been developing their respective product for years years and managed to choose the same weekend to ship. Given GW's ability to suck the oxygen out of the room, after GW announced 9th's pending launch, it wouldn't have surprised me at all if PP had unnecessarily delayed shipment for a week or two just to receive more attention when they did launch. Hence, "plucky" for not doing that.

That would make sense if the plan had been for a big retail splash, but as it is 40k releases for the new edition are going to be eating up space for the next month or so anyways, and a lot of the hype around WarCaster is stuff getting sent straight to people's doorstep.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I really have to doubt that GW considers PP enough of a threat at this point to adjust their release schedule around them.

e: I may have misunderstood the post. Oh well.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

smug jeebus posted:

I really have to doubt that GW considers PP enough of a threat at this point to adjust their release schedule around them.

e: I may have misunderstood the post. Oh well.

GW has never acted like any of their competitors exist, and that won't change.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

S.J. posted:

GW has never acted like any of their competitors exist, and that won't change.

Tbf they are at least tangentially aware PP exists as they poached Lyle from No Quarter to run White Dwarf :D

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I guess it pays to live near a postal hub

Just a heads up, they did pack a lot of stuff directly into the starter boxes (my coalition Weaver variant was in the ironstar box), so make sure to check them if you bought for other people.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Mine's gonna be here on monday aaaaaaaaa

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Woo got mine, I know one other person who bought in

E: Was a solo alternate and a void gate pair included free? Because I have twice as many of these as I thought I was getting

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 26, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

smug jeebus posted:

Woo got mine, I know one other person who bought in

E: Was a solo alternate and a void gate pair included free? Because I have twice as many of these as I thought I was getting

Yeah, it wasn't that clear about the alternate sculpts apparently, as I now have 4 hunters instead of the 3 I was expecting. I'm sure that will come in handy at least.

I did catch that the void gates were included with each starter so ymmv :shrug:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Harkano posted:

Tbf they are at least tangentially aware PP exists as they poached Lyle from No Quarter to run White Dwarf :D

Oh and I know, and it was smart of them. They had actually put a lot of effort into figuring out how to improve White Dwarf for a while, my boss sat in on some round tables about it and he literally just brought them issues of No Quarter and said 'do this'

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Most of this is 40k poo poo but I am selling a plastic Cryx starter for $15 if anyone is interested.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Warcaster phase 2 stuff is shipping already. gently caress, I've got such a backlog of PP stuff to assemble and paint and then not play.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

"Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility." - USPS

as of 9:03PM Eastern

I just want my space mans :negative:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

So I ordered 1x AC starter and 1x B scourge weapon options, and today I received 2x AC starters lol

Were the extra weapon options shipping already also?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Got my Warcaster box today! The sculpts and the joins are really nice from the little bit of playing around I've done. At some point I'll need to pull up Backerkit and make sure I actually have everything because I got a decent haul and I don't remember which of the sort of confusing options I went with. The new plastic-free packaging is pretty nice too.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

My stuff finally showed up! Gonna put it together this weekend

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

loving hell, magnetizing the Scourge is going to be an absolute nightmare, the hardpoints are so loving tiny. I think I got everything that I was expecting to at least, still need the two character solos which weren't in this wave, and I think the variant Scourge? Also I guess I bought a third Weaver.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

rantmo posted:

loving hell, magnetizing the Scourge is going to be an absolute nightmare, the hardpoints are so loving tiny. I think I got everything that I was expecting to at least, still need the two character solos which weren't in this wave, and I think the variant Scourge? Also I guess I bought a third Weaver.

I just got two starters and a B weapon pack from the KS, the rest I'm getting from my LGS. I'm glad I have enough to play Skirmish for now at least. Does anyone know if the heavy weapon squad for AC changed at all? There were a couple of small changes with the Scourge (I'm pretty sad it lost a RAT).

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

rantmo posted:

My experience with those insanely small contacts on PP models is that it seems like a nightmare, but there's one magic position that you hold it in where it suddenly just insta-glues and locks in place? I've never understood how that could possibly work, but it got to the point where I didn't really fret impossible looking joins because I just had faith there'd be a magic position and there always was?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

!Klams posted:

My experience with those insanely small contacts on PP models is that it seems like a nightmare, but there's one magic position that you hold it in where it suddenly just insta-glues and locks in place? I've never understood how that could possibly work, but it got to the point where I didn't really fret impossible looking joins because I just had faith there'd be a magic position and there always was?

I recently watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL_xRxbxnbE

Which informed me that dumping baking soda on CA glue causes it to instantly harden, and that has been a godsend on these small contact points. That loving Coalition Weaver staff was killing me the other day until I remembered that.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

!Klams posted:

Yeah so far it looks like the contact points are really well engineered and thought out. The weapon hardpoints, on the Scourge at least, look like they'd be fine to just assemble but actually magnetizing is going to be really challenging. I haven't started proper assembly just yet, but just from the dry run I did with it I'm not sure how well it's going to go. What kind of glue are you all using for this metal? I normally use Loctite for everything PP, plastics and metals alike, but the Weaver I built last night was just not holding together on its own. I didn't have a chance to scrub the mold release off of it which might have been the problem but maybe I need a different material all together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rantmo posted:

Yeah so far it looks like the contact points are really well engineered and thought out. The weapon hardpoints, on the Scourge at least, look like they'd be fine to just assemble but actually magnetizing is going to be really challenging. I haven't started proper assembly just yet, but just from the dry run I did with it I'm not sure how well it's going to go. What kind of glue are you all using for this metal? I normally use Loctite for everything PP, plastics and metals alike, but the Weaver I built last night was just not holding together on its own. I didn't have a chance to scrub the mold release off of it which might have been the problem but maybe I need a different material all together?

I just use the purple (5-10 second) Hobbylinc CA glue, you'll find it at just about any hobby shop with a sticker individualized for where you bought it for reasons. Works most of the time, but yeah, that staff was a bitch.

See the video I linked above, sprinkling it with baking soda works like a charm for me, just be sure to blow off/brush it off the excess with a tooth brush after it sets.