Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Drove from Southampton Docks with just a solitary cruise ship and vehicle carrier from my viewpoint up through the city through Shirley to North Baddesley and I'd say maybe 50% of people were in masks, same at Winchester services. Weirdest site was a Home Bargains trailer seemingly on the verge of flipping over on the M3 after it merges with the A303, never seen a trailer twist like that and not flip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone know anything about 3-D printing?
Could you input an equation y=sqrt(x) for example and generate a hollow 'beaker' with that equation as the form of the outline? (I'm thinking of 3-D objects to explore volumes of revolution*. Can't see anything online.)

This type of revolution:

Not this type:

If it can be represented as a single object in 3 dimensions, it can be 3d-printed (klein bottles are a popular demonstration of the technology), but my non-existent maths means I can't envisage the shape itself - would it be something like that bottom image? If so, not a problem at all, and in fact you can probably sidestep one of the more complex parts of 3D printing (turning a 3D object into 2D slices) because if I understand it right what you'd be printing would actually just be a stack of 2D curves following that equation?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My fudge has arrived!! Lovely packaging, what a treat. Thank you Camrath!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A vase, the curve of which is defined by a mathematical equation, yes.

You would need some sort of processing to turn the mathematical spline into a 3d object and give it appropriate thicknesses and connect the ends properly, and make sure the whole thing is properly meshed. Then you'd need something to translate that into a set of printing instructions, but yes it should be possible, I just don't know if there's a software package that would do it easily.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Worth mentioning that 3D printing often requires adding various sorts of supports and might involve accounting for some amount of droop with certain shapes. The more expensive the printer the less that is the case, generally speaking.

e, fb kindof with potenttially more detail by owl

and yes there is software to do that sort of thing, usually necessary to generate internal supports, though I dunno about the math function thing might require some coding/scripting

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 24, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
y=sqrt(x) rotated around the x-axis would be a shallow dish, not unlike the whiskey sour glass here but without the stem.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Incidentally, budget 3D printers are now getting perilously close to the hundred-quid mark, and resin printers are now under 200, both more-or-less plug-and-play, and I suspect this might be dropping it into the price range of quite a few of the WORRAMMER types ITT.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If it can be represented as a single object in 3 dimensions, it can be 3d-printed (klein bottles are a popular demonstration of the technology), but my non-existent maths means I can't envisage the shape itself - would it be something like that bottom image? If so, not a problem at all, and in fact you can probably sidestep one of the more complex parts of 3D printing (turning a 3D object into 2D slices) because if I understand it right what you'd be printing would actually just be a stack of 2D curves following that equation?

What I want (theoretically) is to generate a bottle which has a profile that can be modelled by a mathematical curve like the bottom math figure in the image so the 3D bottle represents that curve rotated 2pi radians around the x-axis so a student could fill the bottle with water, measure the volume and convince themselves of the accuracy of the calculation (within the limits of the thickness of the bottle sides. (I'm doing a teaching maths a-level course and have to come up with some practical ways to help students understand the maths.)
So not being experienced in the ways of 3D printers, I was asking whether it is possible to put in an equation in some form or other and have it create the object.
And now I just thought, if it can only generate a solid object, then that could be used as a form to make, say, a clay bottle.

(This is at present a theoretical exercise I don't actually have to make this thing!)

That whiskey sour glass posted by Guavanaut looks useful.

I guess another possibility is to get a selection of glasses, draw the profiles and attempt to figure out a close-fitting equation to the same end so 3D printers not necessary.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 24, 2020

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/dansabbagh/status/1286685420022046722

2y8m seems like a lot, must have been a pretty god drat serious assault

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The lesson I learned was never live with anyone else. I didn't til I got married and it's been ace. I had to use my mum as a guarantor but basically spent 80 percent of my salary on rent and lived off gently caress all for years and it was far better than having flatmates.

Our house is messy and full of loads of ramshackle random furniture from the charity shop down the road but it's cozy as hell and clean. (minus the never ending battle against cat litter)

E:

My Friday night plan is revealed!

Mebh fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 24, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So not being experienced in the ways of 3D printers, I was asking whether it is possible to put in an equation in some form or other and have it create the object.
And now I just thought, if it can only generate a solid object, then that could be used as a form to make, say, a clay bottle.

(This is at present a theoretical exercise I don't actually have to make this thing!)
You can 3D print a hollow object like a cup, but depending on the printer that might need some support while building.

e:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Can confirm that whiskey sour glasses are very useful.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 24, 2020

Mebh
May 10, 2010

In a fun aside my work told me to take some time off or be forced to be off all of December when it's cold. So I took every single Friday off til Christmas. 4 day work week for the rest of the year woo.

It'll be an interesting proof if I can get all my work done without any problems but I'm willing to bet I won't even be remotely stretched.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What I want (theoretically) is to generate a bottle which has a profile that can be modelled by a mathematical curve like the bottom math figure in the image so the 3D bottle represents that curve rotated 2pi radians around the x-axis so a student could fill the bottle with water, measure the volume and convince themselves of the accuracy of the calculation (within the limits of the thickness of the bottle sides. (I'm doing a teaching maths a-level course and have to come up with some practical ways to help students understand the maths.)

Hollow shouldn't be a problem, although of course it'd be a lot more fragile - like I say if my maths didn't break down once you got beyond the level of making change from a tenner I suspect it'd be pretty easy to generate with a script to output the slices (then combine them into a gcode or stl file because a lot of 3d printers will only accept a compiled file like that, presumably to stop "impossible" shapes slipping through).

There's a 3D printing thread over in DIY, might be worth asking in there if there's a shortcut to doing it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It might actually be easier to draw the spline you want and then turn it on a lathe from a lump of wood using the spline as a guide.

Given that you can buy a cheap lathe for £100.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

You can 3D print a hollow object like a cup, but depending on the printer that might need some support while building.

Can't see it being a problem as long as you print it open-end-down and don't make the slices too thick.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It might actually be easier to draw the spline you want and then turn it on a lathe from a lump of wood using the spline as a guide.

And how much does a new arm cost?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

A cheap lathe is a hundred quid, sure, but when you add the space to use it, the tools, the sharpener, the dust extraction, etc etc etc it's way more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you're going to ask someone to make them on a 3d printer you could ask someone to lathe them instead. I was also thinking of those miniature ones they make. Presumably not good for much work but if your alternative is buying a 3d printer you'll never use again..?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 24, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So is Corbyn getting sued or what. I'd honestly welcome the fight. Come on Ware, you coward, poo poo or get off the pot!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

then combine them into a gcode
Oh if the 3D printer will take G-code then you should be able to code a generator just by getting something to spit out repeated G02 clockwise arcs, no FreeCAD required.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

The lesson I learned was never live with anyone else. I didn't til I got married and it's been ace. I had to use my mum as a guarantor but basically spent 80 percent of my salary on rent and lived off gently caress all for years and it was far better than having flatmates.

Our house is messy and full of loads of ramshackle random furniture from the charity shop down the road but it's cozy as hell and clean. (minus the never ending battle against cat litter)

About 4 years ago was offered a job in London paying £30k (substantially less than what I used to earn, but having been out of the formal workplace for a decade probably all I could expect - and frankly seemed like riches beyond the dreams of avarice at the time!). Anyway, after much calculating and checking out transport etc, I concluded that all I could expect to rent would be a single room in a house or flat share if I wanted to live in London and in my mid-late 50s at the time I ain't flat sharing unless things are really desperate. Apart from my cats, I have lived alone for over 30 years (even if some of that time was a bedsit in a nurses' accommodation).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

So is Corbyn getting sued or what. I'd honestly welcome the fight. Come on Ware, you coward, poo poo or get off the pot!

It's not clear. But the media seem to be picking up on the fighting fund and going nutso accusing the 'hard left' of going nuts and destroying Labour. Haven't read much of it, just seeing the headlines on google.

What is interesting is that the number of donations is approx half the number of 'shares'. That seems a prettty good return on sharing to me!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if you're going to ask someone to make them on a 3d printer you could ask someone to lathe them instead. I was also thinking of those miniature ones they make. Presumably not good for much work but if your alternative is buying a 3d printer you'll never use again..?

They tend to have a crappy resolution, speed and cooling*, which effectively means you get worse things out of it. Even then a bit of filing and extra tolerance might be enough to get a decent result.

*: Although the cooling issues can be partially solved with some diy fans.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 24, 2020

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Incidentally, budget 3D printers are now getting perilously close to the hundred-quid mark, and resin printers are now under 200, both more-or-less plug-and-play, and I suspect this might be dropping it into the price range of quite a few of the WORRAMMER types ITT.

The problem Warhammer has with 3d printing isn't really cost (cost is never a problem to dedicated Hams), it's resolution. Even the best consumer 3d printers have to compromise detail at those small sizes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

TheRat posted:

He pleaded guilty to the assault but said he did it because he spilt his drink or whatever. Actually he had a poo poo load of white power anti LGBT poo poo in his house, prior violence convictions, identified Jones prior to the assault and jumped him. It was a hate crime.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I guess the courts are also not keen on beating up journalists becoming a Thing and wanted to send a message.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Actually he had a poo poo load of white power anti LGBT poo poo in his house, prior violence convictions
Completely unsurprising. At least he made proving it easy.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Have you lot seen this?:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/24/labour-was-warned-antisemitism-report-was-deliberately-misleading-leak-reveals

Life might not go easy for Labour and Corbyn & Co.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sitting eating my first proper fried rice and sweet and sour sauce in like, half a year and my god is it good.

Had my first chippy in four months yesterday too. Just about needed a new pair of trousers after the first bite. Don't know how good some things are until you can't have them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Sitting eating my first proper fried rice and sweet and sour sauce in like, half a year and my god is it good.

Had my first chippy in four months yesterday too. Just about needed a new pair of trousers after the first bite. Don't know how good some things are until you can't have them.

Not sure if this means you were bloated or if you jizzed or poo poo yourself or what. Need an update, this is important

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Question IRL posted:

Maybe. But the people who paid Judas were the Romans. Essentially the Fuzz at the time.

No it wasn't. It was the Pharisees who paid Judas, and the thirty pieces of silver was a deliberate insult because it was the blood price of a slave.

It's also been pointed out that Pilate had to be pressured into killing Jesus because Jesus hadn't done anything that would demand execution under Roman law. Judas would surely have known that as well, and as such gave Jesus to the Romans thinking that Jesus would at worst be put in his place with a flogging. He killed himself when he realised that he'd betrayed Jesus to his death.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not sure if this means you were bloated or if you jizzed or poo poo yourself or what. Need an update, this is important

Well I was eating it in the car so I did get quite a lot of crumbs everywhere but yes the implication was jizzing.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Flatmate chat: I've lived at (I think) 15 different places in 20 years of being in London. Fun highlights include:

The flatmates cousin who moved to the UK - "she'll only be here a couple of weeks til she gets herself sorted". She never moved off the couch for 2 months, or contributed anything. Me & rest of the house confronted her and said 'either she fucks off or you start paying for bills', upon which they both melted down and called the police. Who never came. They moved out about 2 weeks later, never said a word to anyone again and just scowled if you'd pass them.

Same house, later - The guy who went from 'busy carpenter you'd never see' to 'clearly drug-dealing and having people round all the time to listen to poo poo techno til all hours'. Fun walking into your living room and finding some random person sat watching TV, like
'who the gently caress are you?'
'Alex's friend'
'where's he?'
'at his girlfriends'
'Get out of my house please'
He went loving ballistic on me when he came back, like it's somehow an acceptable thing to do. Fucker stole a load of my DVDs too. Stayed in contact with one of the guys, the last straw was Police coming round at 7am on a Saturday to arrest him for 'parking tickets'. About 3 years later I got a Bailliff letter telling me I owed ~£160 on the Gas/Electric I thought had been swapped to someone else's name, although that was fairly easy to clear up. Oh, and for about 2 months a lady backed with 2 meatheads in a van would knock about once a week, wanting to speak with an ex-housemates girlfriend on the £££ she owed to Kays catalogue, despite me telling them the landlady lives 5 doors down, go ask her if you don't believe me and no, I'm not telling you my name.

The guy who would start cooking about 5 minutes before I'd get in from work, using 3 of 4 hobs, the oven and all the admittedly tiny kitchen workspace for a good hour 30, making what appeared to be the same fart smelling meal of boiled cabbage, some kind of stew & chicken kievs every day, then sit in the equally tiny connected living room and make the most disgusting slobber noises while eating it. After about a week of this (he'd just moved in) I said look, can you either cook earlier or wait til I have, because it takes me 1.5hrs to get home across the North Circ and I'm loving starving every night, plus wash the loving pans up after or get your own. Was driving the other girl there mad too, around this point we said to each other don't bother washing his poo poo up. A week later cue everything spotless along with a note 'I HAVE CLEANED ALL YOUR MESS I WILL NOT DO SO AGAIN'. And as a bonus, he thought it was a good idea to come back with 3-4 of his mates all pissed up at 2am on a school night and sing Russian drinking songs. loving had enough of that, and luckily a place came up with friends around then.

I don't think living with friends is any easier, done that twice with 2 sets and both times we all agreed to shift somewhere else after a year before we murder each other. Thankfully lived with my other halves the last 10 years, was fun to see the look on my ex-wife's face explaining that she's leaving me and we'll both have to go back to housesharing: 'You're leaving, I'm keeping this place. gently caress random ever living with random people ever again'.

In short, people are trash to live with.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Masks are not compulsory in Wales (I'm in Cardiff) - and Drakeford isn't interested in making them so as he's a twat not convinced they are effective...

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The problem Warhammer has with 3d printing isn't really cost (cost is never a problem to dedicated Hams), it's resolution. Even the best consumer 3d printers have to compromise detail at those small sizes.

The Infinity Game group has a guy 3D printing weapon options that aren't available, so people can convert that model to have an HMG or missile launcher - they are also decent for pumping out details to do scenery with.... so tempting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

The Corbyn stuff is separate to the labour stuff but lmao if starmer both sitting on the report leading to it being leaked unredacted and then paying out straight away fucks labour

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

If Jesus's execution was necessary for the redemption of Humanity then I have never understood why the people responsible have been hated, what they did was necessary and indeed the greatest thing any mortal has ever done

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

If Jesus's execution was necessary for the redemption of Humanity then I have never understood why the people responsible have been hated, what they did was necessary and indeed the greatest thing any mortal has ever done

"And that's why I think Rishi Sunak should be given the victoria cross, see my article in the guardian"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ms Adequate posted:

If anything Jesus should be blamed for not getting himself executed shortly after his birth, thus condemning an extra 33 years of poor schmucks to damnation

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jedit posted:

It's also been pointed out that Pilate had to be pressured into killing Jesus

According to the gospels, which wanted to stress Jesus's innocence. It's not really credible, given what Pilate was like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TheRat posted:

He gets the high end of the range because he's a Nazi (no not 'amazing' autocomplete) assaulting a gay leftwing man. Aggravated hate crime innit