Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

TeeQueue posted:

Oh hey, Tenebrais, where were you?.

Is that Knight of Despair's gift?

Close enough. I grabbed a bottle of tears while we were doing Attachment work before and used an old Backstreets trick to tattoo this thing on my face with 'em.

That sounds incredibly dangerous..!

Probably. Don't care.

:geno: That's the coolest thing I have ever heard.

I wish Knight of Despair's gift was her star-ladden hair dye or that tiny spades tiara instead. That would look cooler than the single tear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

TeeQueue posted:

I just realized that I made a major error in story update 15, and have edited it to fix the issue. The changes are outlined below:

I apologize for any inconvenience, and will try to avoid omitting such important information in the future. :v:

Edit: I have also just learned that my phone autocorrects 15 to 13. Fixed.

I honestly don't think Netzach would make the necessary effort to kill X or anyone else.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

Ugh. At least this place can't get much bigger.
X, you need to, I don't know, read a Wikipedia page about Kabbalah or something. You have 6 more Sefirot to go through. You are not even halfway there.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

:drat:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

TeeQueue posted:

We take that one, of course. It says a lot about Tool abnormalities that 'Might maybe come in handy 20 days down the line' is a convincing selling point.
To be fair, it also says quite a lot about 20 days down the line.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

I imagine a similar memo has just gone out about fanclubs.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

So that's where the report for the abnormality known as Mizu went.

Anyway, nicely done.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SaffronKit posted:

Insert D.A.D. joke about Twee'king the name plate to Tenebrais's.
A certain object belonging to his last job at the olfactory was also missing.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Wow, I've had Blue Star gear for like 20 days, and I somehow never noticed that it healed people. Good to know.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I honestly don't think Netzach would make the necessary effort to kill X or anyone else.

That's how they get you :tinfoil:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Huh, Blue Star seems kinda... forgiving? Less Temperamental? Send someone with Temperance 4 or higher and Prudence 5 without work speed reducing gifts at it and it'll be pretty happy overall, it looks like. 60 seconds seems not too bad as a time limit given you need to have the work speed stat at minimum 4 to work it at all.

Maybe its just because last time I played my choice involved at least two abnormalities that had 1 Quiploth which could be reduced by anything but good results and mean someone was going to die. In comparison Blue Star is more dangerous if it breaches, but it seems a lot harder for it to gently caress you over randomly if you know what you're doing.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Oh, Blue Star just instantly panics/kills every Clerk in the facility and sets off every Clerks Rights squad member, even discounting the damage it deals to your actual agents.
But the only time I've ever seen it get out was when I missed a Qlipoth Meltdown, so that's rarely a concern.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Ashsaber posted:

Huh, Blue Star seems kinda... forgiving? Less Temperamental? Send someone with Temperance 4 or higher and Prudence 5 without work speed reducing gifts at it and it'll be pretty happy overall, it looks like. 60 seconds seems not too bad as a time limit given you need to have the work speed stat at minimum 4 to work it at all.

Maybe its just because last time I played my choice involved at least two abnormalities that had 1 Quiploth which could be reduced by anything but good results and mean someone was going to die. In comparison Blue Star is more dangerous if it breaches, but it seems a lot harder for it to gently caress you over randomly if you know what you're doing.

So long as you remember all of the rules, Blue Star is absolutely benign. It only kills you when you forget one.

I mean, I've definitely never lost a day to working it twice with a Prudence 4 agent to try and farm their levels, and then panicking when it breaches, grabbing everyone in the facility, and throwing them all right at it in order to kill it before it murders the whole place-resulting in half the facility being sucked in due to being too low a level to exist in the same room as it.

Yep. Definitely never messed THAT up. :shepface:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Blue Star is a great introduction to Aleph abnormalities. As long as you handle them correctly then you should be fine but if you mess up they will tear apart your base and agents with ease.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
-97 is actually more annoying if you're playing relatively normally and actually needing to use the rewinds to repository or day 1. Permanently destroying an ego weapon is a lot more devastating when the abnormality is no longer in the facility. For TeeQueue, the effect largely doesn't do much as long as they don't particularly need that agent to fight that day.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Mechanics Talk 14: Repositories, Retries, and Resets

Today, we're going to be talking about how each of the reset options work! Most of this stuff is pretty easy to figure out, but it's important to keep the specifics in mind to make sure we don't accidentally lose something when we use one of these methods. Let's get to it.

The first option is Retry, which we've just recently seen in action. The way it works is simple: It rewinds everything to the state it was in just before we press the 'Begin Management' button to start the day. It saves any changes that were made in the preparation screen, and gives back both lost Agents and equipment, but we lose any work we've made on any Abnormality the same day, and any research we've done, gifts we've gotten, or equipment we've made is reset as well. This is the best option if something goes wrong and we want to redo it to keep our stuff-making it by far the most common rewind.

The second option, Rewind to the Memory Repository, returns us to the last Memory Repository made. These are made at the start of days 1, 6, 11, 16, etc. Returning to one will give us back all the Agents we had at that time, in the exact state that they were in at that time. This means that any equipment or placement shuffles, training done, or gifts gained after the memory repository roll back to what they were. If the gear of an Agent is lost (generally by them dying) and is not repurchased before a rewind, that Agent is returned to the default E.G.O weapon/suit. The Repository rewind keeps all of our research and all of our equipment as of the exact moment we hit rewind-we can (and MUCH later, will) get a new Abnormality, fully research it and buy its gear, and then immediately wind time back to the Repository to grab something different.

Because of the Memory Repository, the Abnormality we pick going into days 16, 21, etc is very important-we're effectively stuck with them forever unless we use our next option…

The Day 1 Reset. Unlike the previous two options, this can only be done from the title screen. By selecting First Day, we keep all of our equipment, research, and Abnormality information, but rewind back to the first day. This starts us off with One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds (usually-but let's not talk about that yet. :ssh: ), and lets us begin again from the start. This is a good option if we ever find ourselves in a position where we are unable to continue forward-indeed, it's our only way out of the various death spirals that can kill newer players.

But what if we wanted to reset even harder? Could this be done?

Yes!

By running our mouse over the Lobotomy Corporation logo, we can see that it changes color. What happens if we click on it?

I'm pretty sure the person who's supposed to be speaking here is Angela. Anyways, this is the full reset option-it deletes all of our save data and starts over from the beginning. Presumably, it also makes Angela frown at us.

Needless to say, we will not be using this.

Those are our reset options. Knowing the differences between Retry and Memory Repository is the most important piece of information to take away from all of this, but having information on all of our options on hand is never a bad things.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 2, 2021

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009

TeeQueue posted:

This starts us off with One Sin and Hundreds of Good Deeds (usually-but let's not talk about that yet. :ssh: ), and lets us begin again from the start.

...One Sin's gonna turn ALEPH on us, isn't it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Not The Wendigo posted:

Turns out the titular One Sin was genocide.

Who knew?

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Not The Wendigo posted:

One Aleph and Hundreds of Reloads : "No more prayers. Only penitence."

e: alternatively, One Manager and Hundreds of Dead Clerks

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 24, 2020

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Irrespective of its actual power, Onebro will always be an ALEPH in my heart.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, One Sin will never threaten to stab you and cannot speak.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Not The Wendigo posted:

The Legendary Super Zayin.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Day 18: Story

Music: Town - Alone in a Crowd

Well, it is something you must learn. ...I understand that the truth hurts. It’s—it’s hard for me as well… It feels like building up a sandcastle for years, only to kick it over once it’s done.

But I want to make things right, no matter the cost.

Music: None. *The sound of static plays.*

*The static stops.*

In summary: B is cut off just before revealing the final truth to us, and is also probably dead now.

Do it.

Cool. Night.

Yeah.

...huh.

X, are you doing well? You did not even attempt to complain when Netzach showed his intention to sleep through the working day.

Fine. I'm fine. Just going to think about some stuff.

...Very well, X.

Bishop, we need to talk ASAP. My office in ten.

Roger, boss.

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: A new abnormality, brought to you by EA games. EA: We apply microtransactions to everything! :buddy:

MANAGER!!!

GAH! Wha-what?!

I have a demand! I demand a new title! :colbert:

What-but-you can't just-why not use the mirror?

Because I don't wanna forget about a single cutie I've met!

Okay then… so, why do you need a new title?

Because 'Optimistic Architect' just doesn't suit me! I'm not an optimist, I'm a realist!

You think all the new Abnormalities are "cuties."

Yeah! Real cuties!

:doh:

And I'm not an architect! I don't build things! Ever!

That's… more a metaphor than anything else. It means your insights are what our management plans are based on, so the fact that you always go in first-

Too flowery! Not cute at all! It's got to go. :colbert:

Uh… huh. So what am I supposed to change it to?

Something more fitting! I was thinking something like... 'Cutie Chaser' Mizu! 'Total Badass' Mizu! 'Super Special Awesomesauce' Mizu! Am I inspiring anything? You're inspired now, right?

...you could say that.

Ooh! How about, 'Amazing Cutie Fan' Mizu? Or 'Well Gazer' Mizu? …'Dark Lord Tyrant' Mizu? Oh! Or maybe even-

How many of these do you have?!

I have a whole list!

I'll tell you what. Forward it to your boss. I'll tell him that he gets to decide if you get a new title.

Okie-dokie! Thanks, Mister Manager! :keke:

Your problem now, Netzach...

Ooh-what about 'Super Lovely' Mizu..?

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 2, 2021

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And so, thanks to speech-to-text Mizu's new title is an incoherent snore.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Mizu continues to be the best :allears:. Your writing in general has been pretty stellar and I love keeping track of all the agent stories. Granted, they’ll probably be annihilated at some point but still :v:.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

jimmydalad posted:

Mizu continues to be the best :allears:. Your writing in general has been pretty stellar and I love keeping track of all the agent stories. Granted, they’ll probably be annihilated at some point but still :v:.

The best part about writing for agents is that if I get slightly shifting characterization, there's a mirror in the facility that subtly alters personalities and backstories. It's not that I'm a hack writer, it's that they used the mirror, I swear! :v:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

BisbyWorl posted:

Oh please, we all know what happens when Sephiroth dies in a power plant.

He'll be back as an ALEPH abnormality in a week. Two tops.

Meanwhile, in an abandoned timeline:

Well aren't you just a familiar cutie!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

:perfect:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

TeeQueue posted:

The best part about writing for agents is that if I get slightly shifting characterization, there's a mirror in the facility that subtly alters personalities and backstories. It's not that I'm a hack writer, it's that they used the mirror, I swear! :v:
:hmmyes:

TeeQueue posted:

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: A new abnormality, brought to you by EA games. EA: We apply microtransactions to everything! :buddy:
As one of the people coming into this thread blind, words cannot convey how worrying this teaser is.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
If Sephiroth'e EGO gift turns out to be Jenova's Head In A Box, I think even Mizu would nope the gently caress out of that.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Sword through the chest, like one of those novelty arrow headbands.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dotchan posted:

If Sephiroth'e EGO gift turns out to be Jenova's Head In A Box, I think even Mizu would nope the gently caress out of that.

Considering what type of company this is, a box holding a severed head would just be considered weird but only because Mizu would have to figure out how to strap it on herself.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 26, 2020

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Elfface posted:

Sword through the chest, like one of those novelty arrow headbands.

:hmmyes: wild AND crazy you say?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Mizu tried to give an aleph a foot rub, I don't think anything's gonna phase her.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Not an empty quote!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

BisbyWorl posted:

Good thing we don't have a psychoanalyst as agent because I don't think "tell me about your mother" would go too well in this instance.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Good thing we don't have a psychoanalyst as agent because I don't think "tell me about your mother" would go too well in this instance.

The One Winged Angel really, really, really does not like you performing Insight work.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
So, in light of the reset rules (especially the day 1 reset), does that mean certain options are actually trap options/unwinnable scenarios?

I kind of assumed that any subject would be “workable” once you figured out what you’re supposed to do, so I thought certain ones would be harder to deal with and you wouldn’t want too many or it’d be unmanageable.

If the game allows, or even have a encourages resets, then I’m wondering if any of the subjects are just flat out death picks that force a reset?

Sorry if already asked, just caught up. Great thread by the way!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Random_Username posted:

So, in light of the reset rules (especially the day 1 reset), does that mean certain options are actually trap options/unwinnable scenarios?

I kind of assumed that any subject would be “workable” once you figured out what you’re supposed to do, so I thought certain ones would be harder to deal with and you wouldn’t want too many or it’d be unmanageable.

If the game allows, or even have a encourages resets, then I’m wondering if any of the subjects are just flat out death picks that force a reset?

Sorry if already asked, just caught up. Great thread by the way!

Every single abnormality is workable, in theory. If you're good enough, you could grab an entire facility of the most annoying and absurd and unpleasant abnormalities and still get all the way through endgame. There ARE abnormalities that require people to die, or that can instantly kill your entire facility, or do other incredibly nasty things-but they can all be worked around or ignored.

It's basically all down to any given player's specific tolerance for spinning the plates around and around, resetting is usually a matter of either "I don't really want to deal with this" or "My facility does not have the gear/agent levels/etc I need to deal with the current set of abnormalities." In theory, though, any group of abnormalities can be managed.

I'd call it "merciless but fair...ish," if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

Every single abnormality is workable, in theory.

Cough... O-05-47 Cough...