Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

That voice....holy poo poo dude. And it sounds like he's making it on purpose? Can I get a :psypop: but for the ears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cojawfee posted:

Pressing x opens a menu where you can look at all the things you know how to make and all the recipes to make each one.

They really need to do what the wiki does and have "recipes that use this" included in each item's entry. When you start making computers and poo poo the chains are too complicated to keep every step in your head, especially with alt recipes. And you need the in-game codex to know which alts you've unlocked.

But right now my #1 suggestion right now is to disable clipping checks when building walls. Turns out my cool factory has a whole bunch of conveyors and merger/splitter boxes built with light wall clipping. So my plan to replace some walls with windows will be a lot more tedious than expected.

Walls are like, the most purely decorative thing in the game. They don't do anything, and you already can only build them on foundations or other walls. Let them clip. Either that or make the stuff that ignores clipping when you place it also clippable when placing other buildings.

Pen Expers posted:

You can edit your save file with the interactive map. Just load your save into it, make your changes, then press the 'Download Save" button and it'll give you a new file you can drop into the save folder. https://satisfactory-calculator.com/

We had a tractor fall through the map, and evidently there's no check to destroy vehicles when that happens like there is for people. The tractor icon was still there on the map. Loading it in the save editor the position was like -283475634 on the z axis. Easy fix.

My question is, if you leave it falling long enough does it wrap the z variable at some point and start falling from the "top" of the map?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Klyith posted:

We had a tractor fall through the map, and evidently there's no check to destroy vehicles when that happens like there is for people. The tractor icon was still there on the map. Loading it in the save editor the position was like -283475634 on the z axis. Easy fix.

My question is, if you leave it falling long enough does it wrap the z variable at some point and start falling from the "top" of the map?

I've had the same happen with my explorer but it only went to like 200 units below the ground. I played for a couple of hours before moving it via the editor.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
I mostly use it to clean up the little chests that drop when deleting things with a full inventory but there's a lot of other neat things you can do with it. If you've seen circular buildings in youtube videos, that was done using the map editor.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
19 hours in and I just got coal running for one of two nodes. I'm pretty sure moving and building just the stuff for coal power was 4 hours. Placing stuff is so finicky even with foundation and the green lines getting splitters to line up right takes about 5 attempts each time because it still doesent line up right. Does this get any easier? And how long did it take you guys on your first blind attempt to get this far?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

farcry posted:

19 hours in and I just got coal running for one of two nodes. I'm pretty sure moving and building just the stuff for coal power was 4 hours. Placing stuff is so finicky even with foundation and the green lines getting splitters to line up right takes about 5 attempts each time because it still doesent line up right. Does this get any easier? And how long did it take you guys on your first blind attempt to get this far?

Things sped up a lot once I got coal power going, and also once I bit the bullet and made huge branching paths to other resource nodes, which is a task I don't like and does not get easier except with mods.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

farcry posted:

It gets a little easier as you get used to it, but it will always be a finicky and time consuming process. If you enjoy the factory building, maybe check out Factorio. It is much easier to lay out and connect factory elements in Factorio.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
One qol update they do need to make is allowing splitters to either connect directly to an input/output of a machine OR if they're going to make me hook the loving belt manually for all of time, ensure that if I'm holding ctrl with a splitter/merger that it snaps to loving belt inputs/outputs and not the center of the machine.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

One qol update they do need to make is allowing splitters to either connect directly to an input/output of a machine OR if they're going to make me hook the loving belt manually for all of time, ensure that if I'm holding ctrl with a splitter/merger that it snaps to loving belt inputs/outputs and not the center of the machine.

loving :emptyquote: this is so frustrating

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

DelphiAegis posted:

This seems like a balance issue, the belts can act as intentional bottlenecks , given that then need to be inbetween a splitter and an output

Not that it is less frustrating though

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've found at least that the alignment markers for the center of the machine are at base level, but the alignment markers for input/output are midway.

Not that it wouldn't kill them to make it a different color or something.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I find building layouts get way easier when I get height. So standing on top of another building, or one of the lookout towers they provide, does wonders.

Of course belts, pipes, splitters and mergers are way more finicky and require you to get down into the mess.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Speaking of QOL stuff, I'd like to be able to see the snap lines for fluid pipes while standing on the ground, later on it's not so bad when you can jump onto split pipe sections with your bladerunners, but when you are setting up coal for the first time it's a real pain in the rear end.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
You can slide jump onto them without blade runners. Definitely helped me get my coal setup going.

But yeah that'd be a great improvement.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tombot posted:

Speaking of QOL stuff, I'd like to be able to see the snap lines for fluid pipes while standing on the ground, later on it's not so bad when you can jump onto split pipe sections with your bladerunners, but when you are setting up coal for the first time it's a real pain in the rear end.

If it's not your first game, you can and should have blade runners long long before doing anything with pipes.

Like even in a hypothetical future where resources get randomized so you can't just look at a website to know where the nearest caterium is, finding one of the scattered mini-chunks to unlock scanning would be one of the first things I'd look around for. And then an expedition with some portable miners to the nearest deposit would be an early goal after I had a basic iron setup running, before even the space elevator and tier 2.

Caterium unlocks blade runners, mk 2 power poles, and smart splitters -- all really high on the QOL list. They're easy unlocks, one inventory load of ore gets you a pair of blades and a few small factories worth of power poles. That's enough to make the early game way less tedious. I wouldn't bother with smart splitters until I had coal power, but again it's high on the priority list right after.

Alkydere posted:

I find building layouts get way easier when I get height. So standing on top of another building, or one of the lookout towers they provide, does wonders.

I'd like the lookout tower base to be a bit smaller, so it would plop down in the middle of a build.

Or maybe they could make a mk 2 lookout that only attaches to foundations, has the same footprint as a splitter, is a bit taller, and has a built-in hypertube instead of a ladder. That would be cool.

Revant
Jun 14, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

jesus christ this... I can't even express how many times I've setup stuff with the CTRL button and the belt is like gently caress off I won't do it.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I just realized I can turn the input/output of a freight station, a bunch of storage containers, and a smart splitter tree into a huge buffer/filter loop for incoming freight from multiple sources, and now I want to redo my whole supply line again.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Clitch posted:

I just realized I can turn the input/output of a freight station, a bunch of storage containers, and a smart splitter tree into a huge buffer/filter loop for incoming freight from multiple sources, and now I want to redo my whole supply line again.

Posts like this make me feel like a clumsy fool who can't plan when compared to REAL factory managers.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Clitch posted:

Just remember that your freight stations are limited by the belt speed since they only have one slot. This isn't factorio where you have just stack inserters.

Of course once you get to tier 4/5 belts that becomes a non-issue. I'm imagining you're basically having trucks slowly roll through a series of cargo stations that unload them, and the output from all the stations are sorted?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Alkydere posted:

Just remember that your freight stations are limited by the belt speed since they only have one slot. This isn't factorio where you have just stack inserters.

Of course once you get to tier 4/5 belts that becomes a non-issue. I'm imagining you're basically having trucks slowly roll through a series of cargo stations that unload them, and the output from all the stations are sorted?

As it stands, I had sulfur, quartz, and refinery trash on the same train loop dumping into a big industrial storage buffer next to my new central factory build. It was meant to be a short-term holding area, but it was already filling up, so I made a big belt run to my old quartz smasher, and set up the filter loop. I wasn't looking forward to sorting 10 mixed storage containers by hand.

I'm on MK4 belts, so as long as I can stay ahead of the incoming freight, I'm doing OK, and it's pretty easy to scale up. Do multiple inline freight stations work with multi-car trains at the same stop? I haven't gotten that deep into trains yet. If so, you could run a whole automated trainyard with enough sorting buffer to keep the clogs away. Thinking about it, even putting the station input into the loop isn't necessary.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Freight stations have two outputs. You can put two belts into a storage thing and quickly dump stuff from the station before the next train comes.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Cojawfee posted:

Freight stations have two outputs. You can put two belts into a storage thing and quickly dump stuff from the station before the next train comes.

Yeah, as long as the loop is diverting stuff off quickly enough, it's not an issue. Right now I'm handing four types of freight with this filter loop. I'm wondering how it would work scaling it up to a dozen or more, and just having one big train loop that has one central clearing yard. I'm in the process of moving all petroleum refining back to the islands and decommissioning my pipeline,(it's mainly a space concern because refining and fuel generators take up a lot of room) so now I'm thinking about shipping fuel containers, rubber, plastic, and coke by rail. I'm bound to have more satellite production in the future, so building out to one giant rail loop sounds really cool. So does dumping multiple freight cars into one central pool and then disseminating that out to my manufacturing lines without worrying about clogs if I have a glut of some products over others. I'm not even saying this is the most efficient way to do this. I just think it's a cool idea.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm about at the point now (having just unlocked trains the moment I had T5/T6 unlocked because of rummaging crash sites) where I have to start building out my idea for combining a central bus and a logistics station for my new world. The ideal being that everything is deposited in one location (iron ingots, copper ingots, caterium ingots, steel pipes, steel beams, reinforced plates, quartz crystals, concrete, all oil products) which is then bussed down a line to make intermediate and advanced manufactured goods. I'm going to try and use the liquid cars for the first time, going against my standard of processing oil on-site and shipping the finished products. My only concern in doing this is that I might actually run out of space in the Dune Desert.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im so bad at this game. i just built the space elevator, which looks dope. to supply it with the cargo it needs, do you guys just build everything needed in one building to get one assembler crafting the smart chips or whatever theyre called? or do you have separate areas pumping out different things, like a building specifically for making GBS threads out iron plates/reinforced plates, another one for rotors, and then send those into another area to process into other parts?

currently i just have a few constructors feeding into a single assembler for rotors

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Very little stops being useful, so you usually want to keep old things going and just expand and scale up to meet the demand of more complex products and make dedicated lines for the various different things. Keep an eye on the parts per minute numbers (in and out) since they're a good way to figure out ratios and how you can make the most out of your resources.

The space elevator parts don't get used in other crafts, but I think the first two or three end up as materials for later space elevator parts, so don't dismantle the production lines.

I personally don't pipe space elevator parts into the elevator itself, I just have them output to a container and carry them over as I need them.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

awesome, thanks!

I think my problem is i have all my poo poo pumping into constructors and onwards so when i want to build something i have 0 parts since all my ratios right now are perfect, lol. so I cant get any iron plates since they're all going into my manufacturing. I should probably set up buffers with storage crates so I can just run an extra iron plate/rod making thing into it and just pick from there when needed, or drain it when needed elsewhere. I need to get better electricity though, biofuel is a pain in the rear end.

game loving owns so much though. the satisfactory planner thing is really nice for getting ratios of stuff.

i just started with factorio as well, i feel like both of these will be all my time for a bit.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'll sometimes set up buffers even on perfect ratios, since unless you're dumping stuff into a resource sink, something will back up sooner or later.

Biofuel is absolutely a pain in the rear end. It's not a bad idea to try to push for coal before you worry about optimizing your factory.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

The space elevator parts don't get used in other crafts, but I think the first two or three end up as materials for later space elevator parts, so don't dismantle the production lines.

Eh, I feel like for the first level of the space elevator it's not worth trying too hard: one assembler to make the smart plates, feed it by hand, and delete it as soon as it's done. Tier one is just a single stack of stuff, one assembler is all you need. In later stages you need a much bigger line to get stuff done in a reasonable time.

Basically while you're still constrained by biofuel power you can't run a full-width factory. You want a basic ironworks that makes reinforced plates & rotors, and some copper constructors making copper sheets and cable. Those are what you need to construct coal power plants, and the first two also make the smart plates to unlock the elevator.

But expanding a small factory into a bigger one is only easy if you plan for it in advance, which isn't likely your first game. I spend a whole bunch of hours re-working my early iron factory into an iron + steel factory, when really it would have been easier to just tear down and rebuild. Or just pick up and move to a new base that's got the resource nodes for a multi-product factory.

tl;dr it took me like 60 hours before I learned that this game's tagline should be "mustn't be afraid to scale a little bigger, darling."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought it was a lot more effective on my second file when I just let the smart plate maker do it's thing while I was messing around with all my new toys. By the time I cared to tackle the elevator again, I had a ton of smart plates ready to go.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

In general I find it's more effective to build up from new resource nodes than try to extend your existing production lines, although that gets more difficult in the later game once you need more diverse resources to build things.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Oxyclean posted:

I thought it was a lot more effective on my second file when I just let the smart plate maker do it's thing while I was messing around with all my new toys. By the time I cared to tackle the elevator again, I had a ton of smart plates ready to go.

I guess that makes sense. You need 30 stacks of those in total for the next 2 tiers, so not much more than a storage container worth.

I also need to realize that I've been playing a lot of multiplayer with a friend, and that really changes my perspective. My friend was "in charge" of the space elevator in our MP save, and he built some factories that just ran and accumulated. I got annoyed because he left the storage buffers in the middle of the machinery and I could never find rotors when I needed them. MP is a lot of fun though, especially exploration & clearing out hostiles.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Game is good. Factorio but with verticality. I like making gently caress-poo poo stacks.

Also I found this suspicious landmark:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Game is good. Factorio but with verticality. I like making gently caress-poo poo stacks.

Also I found this suspicious landmark:

You'll either have to build a ramp up there or whatever to get that slug, but it's worth it. Most slugs are in hard to reach places and the better slugs are hidden away even more.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
ya slugs are no problem, I was more amused by the penis rock formation. I should build something there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
2 industrial fluid buffers at the base.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
edit: not sure why I emptyquoted Vasudus? oops?

Anyway now I'm trying to feed 3 heavy modular frame lines at full rate in my factory, because...I needed a goal? I'm almost there. For me it's fun to try to fit a production goal on a defined factory footprint.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 25, 2020

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I used to enjoy trying to minimize my designs in Space Engineers - it's one thing to build this gigantic clunky industrial monstrosity, another to see how small into a space you actually can fit all the functions you need.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I don't get why people want to demolish stuff to accommodate new production lines and rebuild from a scratch; just box your old factory floor and make a new one on top of the old one, or relocate to one of the other starting positions and build there. Or go crazy and do the "castle in the sky"-factory.

I can sort of understand it when you get the basics, and find out that getting any of the new resources needed in Tier 5-6 will be a loving hell march with kilometers long transfer lines through jungles and mountain ranges since at that point you really do not have many of the items that trivialize the relocation process and traveling on the map. However, if you did the desert start and getting new resource locations/splitting lines to direct excess to your new floor isn't an issue, just box it in, transfer the outputs and make a better one on top of the crappy one and since "prettying it up" at this point is a pain in the rear end, just live with it.

The map has more space than anyone at this point would ever need, and enough resources to carry at least 4 players running full-scale factories at the same time.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Der Kyhe posted:

I don't get why people want to demolish stuff to accommodate new production lines and rebuild from a scratch; just box your old factory floor and make a new one on top of the old one, or relocate to one of the other starting positions and build there. Or go crazy and do the "castle in the sky"-factory.

I can sort of understand it when you get the basics, and find out that getting any of the new resources needed in Tier 5-6 will be a loving hell march with kilometers long transfer lines through jungles and mountain ranges since at that point you really do not have many of the items that trivialize the relocation process and traveling on the map. However, if you did the desert start and getting new resource locations/splitting lines to direct excess to your new floor isn't an issue, just box it in, transfer the outputs and make a better one on top of the crappy one and since "prettying it up" at this point is a pain in the rear end, just live with it.

The map has more space than anyone at this point would ever need, and enough resources to carry at least 4 players running full-scale factories at the same time.

Starting clean with all of the wisdom you lacked before is one of the central human fantasies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

I used to enjoy trying to minimize my designs in Space Engineers - it's one thing to build this gigantic clunky industrial monstrosity, another to see how small into a space you actually can fit all the functions you need.

You would love Forager's single island speedrun mode.

This game would be rad with something similar. Just a 32x32 pad ringed with the various minerals. Have a factory end up looking like Kowloon Walled City.