Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Random Texas question here: Does anybody know any standard rules or laws for hiking and biking along gas/oil pipelines? There are a few going through Austin. I see in some neighborhoods that they have a small wooden fence with an opening across them and then there are places where it's all shut up. I wondered if there was actually some rules about going along them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

Lmao what, exactly, does Allen West think a state party chair does

Grandstand.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1286539354454794241

Bexar political parties, man

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

If there’s no hurricane, I hope the rain hits central Texas all weekend so I can sit inside, drink beer, make tacos, and watch my grass come back from the brink.

Grillpill baby

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Random Texas question here: Does anybody know any standard rules or laws for hiking and biking along gas/oil pipelines? There are a few going through Austin. I see in some neighborhoods that they have a small wooden fence with an opening across them and then there are places where it's all shut up. I wondered if there was actually some rules about going along them.
It really depends. They're all essentially easements IIRC, which means the pipeline company is just allowed to come through on that strip and do its business. Those easements then pass through other land, but the pipeline company itself is concerned about what happens on the easement while the property owner recognizes they have to deal with the pipeline company, but not you.

My experience running on these kinds of properties in rural Texas down here is that a ton of it is just through ranches and things and as long as you aren't interacting with the pipeline foremen or whatever (i.e. running across an active construction zone) and as long as it doesn't cross through an easement that is basically someone's lived-in property where you're pretty much walking through their yard, no one really minds very much. However, if it goes right through a yard or a field of spooked cattle or the livable part of a ranch or something, this is Texas and people can get testy.

Legally, it's pretty clear cut, you can't do it. Practically, eh - don't piss people off and they won't say much, at least where I've done it.

A lot of this has changed in the last 3-4 decades, as well. We used to play in oil fields and ride or walk along train tracks and the private companies for a lot of reasonable reasons have restricted this with signs posted no trespassing, so you do have to be mindful. Pipeline crews are pretty ad hoc and don't care as much, but don't gently caress with the railroads, heh. I went walking down a railroad track around my hometown that I used to walk down as a kid and ended up in a friendly conversation with a sheriff's deputy who had been called by a train engineer who called after he spotted me when I backed about 10 feet off the track to let the train pass. Sheriffs are elected and my address is local, so he was very cool, but basically told me, look, I'm not gonna do poo poo, but if they send out the BNSF police they will cite you or haul you in, so probably don't do this. I looked it up and if you google BNSF police, sure enough, God bless our railway-built state, they have actual legal authority through a patchwork of agreements.

EDIT: I really should add as a caveat, and I've never control tested this, but my guess is this is very much a white privilege thing. Other than the fact that I'm exercising and relatively in shape, I look like the local stereotype of anything from a pipeline foreman to LEO to whatever, so I usually get a pass or a polite, if firm, reprimand. I'm pretty sure if I were a black kid or something that the result could, in some cases, be very different, so YMMV depending on your circumstance. It's Texas, and it's crossing private property. I've had guns pointed at me and shotguns shot over my head as a kid for similar, it could be much worse if it turns out you're on George Zimmerman's lawn and he happens to not like the color of your skin.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 24, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oh wow, it's like looking into the future

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PostNouveau posted:

Oh wow, it's like looking into the future

jUsT VoTe

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The modern Western addiction to rules, rules, rules running headlong into the reality that gooey things like consensus and community matter has had increasingly predictable and increasingly self-destructive results. I wonder if it'll be possible to convince humpty dumpty that he has to want to put himself back together again and do some of the work, not just call the manager and an ambulance and then a lawyer to solve it for him.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JTiloveTX/status/1286787210373738496?s=20

this is some Qanon poo poo right?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

no, it's more like marine todd poo poo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200724/cedar-park-official-teachers-should-return-to-campus-or-be-fired

quote:

A Facebook post by Cedar Park City Council Tim Kelly saying that teachers should return to campuses during the coronavirus pandemic or be fired has drawn criticism.

Kelly’s post on Wednesday said “Stop catering to the leeches ... Fire them and rehire new teachers.”

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That's some really quality rear end in a top hat right there. Just a bona fide genuine rear end in a top hat.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I know a number of historically straight ticket rural Republican teachers who are, finally, at least looking for options politically this year. DeVos's name is poison among all of them, for sure. They just have trouble cleaving the reality that their IDPOL game has collided with Maslow's Hierarchy. When you've spent your entire life being a cultural conservative and you're one of the only people in your group who has just realized that you didn't get a chair in the latest round of musical chairs, you find out pretty quickly that they don't care. Now you're a leech lol.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 25, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dunno if it holds up in trump's america, but up through even the tea party, rural west texas and panhandle republicans were some of the fiercest defenders of public education in the country

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

It's headed straight for South Texas, woohoo. Coronacaine 2020:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2020-07-24-tropical-storm-hanna-forecast

In other news, DHR, the hospital which allegedly had concentration-camp level conditions, issued some "proof" that they...uhhh...called an exterminator after they saw ants crawling all over their patients:

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/07/24/ants-bodies-oxygen-dhr-releases-documents-addressing-social-media-allegations/

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
what, did they just spray poison over the patients lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

IT BURNS posted:

It's headed straight for South Texas, woohoo. Coronacaine 2020:

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2020-07-24-tropical-storm-hanna-forecast

my dad's about to go take a walk along the beach so it can't be that bad. looks like it's heading directly for the king ranch which will put the valley on the "good" side

corpus seems like the only bad place to be. san antonio will get some decent bands but i get the feeling anyone north of the colorado river is in for a disappointing time

edit declared a cat 1! new path has it shifting south, valley still on the backside of the spin. probably the least populated place in the entire state for a hurricane to hit. amazing

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 25, 2020

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

ReindeerF posted:

A lot of this has changed in the last 3-4 decades, as well. We used to play in oil fields and ride or walk along train tracks and the private companies for a lot of reasonable reasons have restricted this with signs posted no trespassing, so you do have to be mindful. Pipeline crews are pretty ad hoc and don't care as much, but don't gently caress with the railroads, heh. I went walking down a railroad track around my hometown that I used to walk down as a kid and ended up in a friendly conversation with a sheriff's deputy who had been called by a train engineer who called after he spotted me when I backed about 10 feet off the track to let the train pass. Sheriffs are elected and my address is local, so he was very cool, but basically told me, look, I'm not gonna do poo poo, but if they send out the BNSF police they will cite you or haul you in, so probably don't do this. I looked it up and if you google BNSF police, sure enough, God bless our railway-built state, they have actual legal authority through a patchwork of agreements.

This reminds me of the insanity of railroad minerals. When the government was trying to encourage railroad companies to build their lines across the country, they granted the companies a checkerboard of every other square mile for 5 or 10 miles along the railroad tracks. This was right in the early days of the oil industry, so no one thought much able the acreage, but those railway companies became massive oil companies. Burlington Northern created Burlington Resources (bought by ConocoPhillips), Union Pacific formed Union Pacific Resources (bought by Anadarko and now owned by Oxy), and Chevron owns a ton of railroad minerals out in west Texas. The government gave these companies tens of billions of dollars in land thinking it was at best bad farmland or for grazing cattle.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

i say swears online posted:

edit declared a cat 1! new path has it shifting south, valley still on the backside of the spin. probably the least populated place in the entire state for a hurricane to hit. amazing

And yet there's still 50 people in a trailer park on Baffin Bay that refused to leave last night and are probably going to be blown/washed away this afternoon.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Will the anti mask crew come out hard against Brazoria County for infringing their rights to drive straight into flood waters?

https://twitter.com/BrazoriaCounty/status/1287018531566034945?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepStickland/status/1286656308096245761

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so is Houston gonna get anything from Hannah or just the edge bits? No one here seems that worried and we've been having on and off rain already, just wondering if I should be keeping an eye on poo poo or if this is just normal Houston rainy weekend poo poo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

so is Houston gonna get anything from Hannah or just the edge bits? No one here seems that worried and we've been having on and off rain already, just wondering if I should be keeping an eye on poo poo or if this is just normal Houston rainy weekend poo poo

nah you're fine

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

In other news, DHR, the hospital which allegedly had concentration-camp level conditions, issued some "proof" that they...uhhh...called an exterminator after they saw ants crawling all over their patients:

https://www.themonitor.com/2020/07/24/ants-bodies-oxygen-dhr-releases-documents-addressing-social-media-allegations/

:psypop: Like seriously how does this hospital keep getting away with poo poo like that? Oh right ultra powerful politically connected family.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/rio-grande-valley-texas-coronavirus-hot-spot/

It's almost 11 am there's been a light sprinkle so far, but just about 20 miles north of Pharr they're getting a lot of rain. Might even see the sun poke through.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hopefully it won’t be that bad because it sure couldn’t have picked a worse place to hit

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Hopefully it won’t be that bad because it sure couldn’t have picked a worse place to hit

I got family in Kingsville and Corpus, most there aren't worried too much about a Cat 1 storm. What is sort of concerning is that it's slowed down some, and if that continues you're gonna see a lot of flooding as it makes it's way through ranch country and colonias that don't have proper drainage or sewer systems.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I guess yesterday was 1 death less than the all time high, which was 2 days ago, so we've definitely flattened the curve and it's time to open schools

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1286455427383865345

Whatever gets him rich

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1286455427383865345

It's pretty loving weird that Donald Johnson from Verhoeven's "Robocop" managed to time travel and is running the GOP in Texas.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

there are a lot worse places for landfall than the king ranch

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Oil! posted:

This reminds me of the insanity of railroad minerals. When the government was trying to encourage railroad companies to build their lines across the country, they granted the companies a checkerboard of every other square mile for 5 or 10 miles along the railroad tracks. This was right in the early days of the oil industry, so no one thought much able the acreage, but those railway companies became massive oil companies. Burlington Northern created Burlington Resources (bought by ConocoPhillips), Union Pacific formed Union Pacific Resources (bought by Anadarko and now owned by Oxy), and Chevron owns a ton of railroad minerals out in west Texas. The government gave these companies tens of billions of dollars in land thinking it was at best bad farmland or for grazing cattle.
That's interesting. I knew some of the history, but didn't know anything about the UP / Anadarko stuff.

One thing I've discovered, if you know a good surveryor that's been at it for generations, or really has studied the charts dating back, they can give this entirely land-based history of how Texas became Texas that's completely fascinating and a shitload of it starts with, "Well, to get the railroads to build..."

i say swears online posted:

there are a lot worse places for landfall than the king ranch
Yeah, they can afford it lol.

I was supposed to be in Corpus this weekend, a trip that has been canceled for 4 separate loving occurrences starting with a pandemic, now including a hurricane. I can't wait to see where this goes next. "Hey you really shouldn't go because there's an asteroid gonna hit the Coastal Bend." maybe.

Anyway, hurricane party - appropriate music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsvQgOKR1O4

:lol:

\/\/\/

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 25, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

"Hey you really shouldn't go because there's an asteroid gonna hit the Coastal Bend."

i'm from port aransas and i say kill 'em all!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

I was supposed to be in Corpus this weekend, a trip that has been canceled for 4 separate loving occurrences starting with a pandemic, now including a hurricane. I can't wait to see where this goes next. "Hey you really shouldn't go because there's an asteroid gonna hit the Coastal Bend." maybe.

Trip to Corpus canceled due to Corpus being Corpus.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I mean honestly, yeah. It could've been us up here, I guess. Possession arrow, us.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
It looks like it may dump 10-20 inches of rain on the RGV which is getting absolutely hammered by COVID. Adding a flood on top of that may be devastating.

https://twitter.com/mattlanza/status/1287126080135077889?s=19

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Not to mention, if it gets that bad, the crops will be ferkakte. Ag took a heavy hit already from many factors related to the pandemic, but in addition to it being a clusterbomb of infection vectors in many cases, it also is how a shitload of people down that way make their living. RGV is constantly planting and harvesting, but if they lose a season of anything right now, probably not great for anyone involved.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Off topic but the Whataburger app has delivery now, and it's quite fast. You get points and free food too. I may never visit an actual Whataburger location again.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

smoobles posted:

Off topic but the Whataburger app has delivery now, and it's quite fast. You get points and free food too. I may never visit an actual Whataburger location again.
Probably flyin' in your burgers by drone from CHICAGO!!! It's all just done gone to Hell, I swear. #sendingprayers

EDIT: Also unrelated, but this sounds like every "rednecks got rich" gone bad story from out here in rural Texas lol:

https://www.chron.com/houston/article/Third-Ward-s-Turkey-Lug-Hut-is-in-the-middle-of-15428999.php

quote:

Business partners who co-own the restaurant are in the middle of two lawsuits that accuse each other of stealing money for personal gain, fraud and other explosive claims, according to Eater Houston.

The first lawsuit was filed on July 8 by Turkey Leg Hut co-owner Steve Rogers and accuses co-owner and well-known community figure Nakia Price of using funds and supplies from the flagship restaurant for her other food trucks and catering gigs without compensating other shareholders.

Rogers also owns Bar 5015, which is located down the street from the Turkey Leg Hut and recently made headlines after it was destroyed in an explosion that is suspected as a case of arson. Rogers' lawsuit also argues ownership stakes amid an extensive list of other financial mismanagement claims against Price.

Price responded by filing her own lawsuit on July 15 in which she accuses Rogers of embezzling, pocketing thousands of dollars in valet parking fees over more than a year and "lying about securing a rent deferral agreement" that ultimately threatened the restaurant's lease, according to Eater.
loving lol. Normally in BFE this involves an opry schism or two roughnecks fighting over a mud truck OFS business, so the turkey leg angle and bar bombing is at least sexier than we usually see. I only know one guy who smokes and sells turkey legs in a 15 mile radius and I doubt he'll fall out with his kids and blow the place up, but you never know.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 25, 2020

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Sab0921 posted:

It looks like it may dump 10-20 inches of rain on the RGV which is getting absolutely hammered by COVID. Adding a flood on top of that may be devastating.

https://twitter.com/mattlanza/status/1287126080135077889?s=19

Is there a Hurricane Season thread on these wife beatin' forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Is there a Hurricane Season thread on these wife beatin' forums?

There's the general weather thread