Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've got one colonist who lost a kidney to a gunshot, and another with asthma. I'm just waiting for a raider to come along so I can get a fresh set of lungs and a new kidney to replace these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

It's nice of donors to just show up like that, imo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

pmush i will talk to you about this at length during our usual game

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

No absolutely “use” pyromaniacs, just don’t keep them around. Pyromania is not inherited via kidney after all.

Okay well be sure to sell those kidneys to someone else just to be sure

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PMush Perfect posted:

- A tree growing in the way of my wind turbine and me only noticing when all my raw meat went bad in the middle of a raid.

In my first successful colony I used a bunch of wind power, first as my only power early on and then laer as supplemental power. I grew crops in the exclusion zones to keep trees and such out.

But I kind of got fed up by the lack of consistency so in my subsequent colonies I use wood burners early on until I can build geothermal and solar, and then later I keep chemfuel generators as emergency backups.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I keep large boomalope (and those myrmidon things from Alpha Animals when I can get a manhunter pack) herds for chemfuel and almost exclusively power my colonies on boomalope juice until I can get reliable biofuel and, with vanilla expanded power, nuclear power online.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Packing up my main base to move under the space station, I installed hospitality so I guess I'll make it a resort colony to poach any good recruits from the visitors.

Right before I left the large infestation that happened along with the mechoid ship that was on my map (there was also a dormant hive ship) got into a fight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How quickly am I supposed to be getting new pawns? It’s mid-Fall and I’ve only just now got a recruitment that might work (the first one I rescued was addicted to satan pills and didn’t tell me this until AFTER I’d spent the better part of a week feeding and healing her.)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
recruiting is a long-tailed process. recruiting from prisoners should reasonably be expected to take at least a quadrum, and most other recruiting opportunities (from events or quests) can reasonably be expected to pop up only infrequently. if you're in your 3rd quadrum (i assume you started in spring, this is not always the case), having 2 recruits is actually a pretty decent clip.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I like big colonies, 20 colonists minimum and so on. Mods help a lot, the default story tellers have a "cap" they want you to reach at which point they stop offering quests that reward colonists and RNG seems to kill a lot more raiders than it used to. There are also non-mod ideas.

Tranquilizer Weapons, non-lethal weapons, etc. The vanilla approach is to use clubs or fists, even make intentionally weak weapons out of wood and stuff. Or make heat traps. Less lethal wounds and organs being shot out is more prisoners.

Hospitality allows you to make extra bedrooms for visitors and encourage people to stop at your colony on their dangerous travels. This gives you more foot traffic to study and kidnap, though that will auto-hostile the faction involved. But when 1-2 perfect new colonists are at stake, relations can be repaired, most easily with generous drop pod donations. You can also learn to befriend and socialize people into joining willingly, taking a less than -80 hit to relations with their original faction.

More Slaves. What it says on the tin. This is also useful if you want to sell prisoners as by default the Vanilla trade lines can be very, very rare. There may be more than one of these mods, I've got a set up where the occasional(every 1-3 years) trading ship can have 8-10 slaves in stock. Not only is it a feel good notion to rescue them from slavery they get a huge mood buff to reflect it.

Vanilla Events Expanded adds a lot of little events that can yield many colonists. Space Battle and Shuttle Crash in particular are a big source of multi-rescues, counter balanced by their base rarity and that Space Battles are incredibly dangerous if you're under them. SB can also be seen as ez cheezy because you'll get 60+ components tearing the debris apart but considering how hard the bad times hit in Rimworld I like having a balanced event with a potential big upside. Dodge the raining death, weigh the risks of saving bleeders, clean up afterwards.

Prepare Carefully is holding you to the honor system and lets you ignore all the starting chargen rules. I like to start with 5-6 colonists myself and think the tribal research penalty is stupid(at least that it persists after you do the base work of discovering electricity, though you can mod that out too.) It's very easy to cheat with this mod, so at least hold yourself to the standards of the start you're using with maybe some extra starting food and simple weapons. Or don't, play as you like.

Having a good prison accelerates prison recruitment, like .3 resistance per convo vs 1.2. If you have a lot of colonists and keep their moods up they can get inspirations and you can passively farm Inspired Recruitments if you have a lot of long term prisoners. Royalty DLC helps accelerate colonist growth a little with a pretty much guaranteed "rebel against the empire, accept this traitor recruit" quest and the possibility of colonists as early empire quest rewards.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Vanilla Events Expanded is loving awesome, really ocol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Should I be expecting a decently-stable colony to be running for decades, then? I'm still adjusting to the pace of the game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

A colony can run for as long as you like. If you're really stable you can progress down the research tree to hit a win con and build a space ship. SoS2 mod turns this into an expansion of late game. If you use Phoebe or Cassandra as story tellers the difficulty steadily ramps until you die or break the game over your knee with a perfect killbox(or perfectly viable Royalty psylinks.) Or mods, or just outpacing the losses. A good SoS2 set up will crack the game wide open. You can switch to Randy who will always send truly random events with some variance(raids could be bigger than expected or come far earlier than they "should".)

I've had colonies that got wealth to the point that I had 100-200 man raids in end game modded gear attack. The trick is I lived bitch, so I got to wear all that stuff. Once you understand the combat system even in Vanilla gear you can set up pretty powerful phalanx formations. A fist of armored melee, critical mass ranged behind them, drugs to suppress needs and moods.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Phalanxes are cool until its against bugs and a bug will suddenly decide midfight that it isn't hostile so your pawns allow it to pass through your lines. Then it decides it wants to be hostile/gets hit by a stray shot and takes "revenge" for the audacity of getting shot.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If you need more colonists, just build them at your Android workbench.

*continues slowly building toward a fully automated gay Skymind communism colony.*

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Should I be expecting a decently-stable colony to be running for decades, then? I'm still adjusting to the pace of the game.

I'd say most of the time I manage to reach "end game" with my colonies and get bored or run into the limits of my computer at about 5-7 years in.

However, I've been trying to go longer and use the Children and Pregnancy (or similar? there are a few that add kids, some positives and negatives to each) mod to add something to keep my colonies going, at least to see the kids go from babies to functioning adults. The mod starts them in teens because otherwise they're just a drain on resources, but I change it to 0 and have a nursery, school room, teaching pawns, that kinda thing.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

A few mods I like.

"Research Pal"
Lets you queue up research projects and stops pausing the game when research is done.

"No sympathy for prisoners"
Colonists no longer care about what you do to non-colonist prisoners.

"Rimfridge"
Fridges so you can store food without building a 20x20 meter granite bunker for it.

"better workbench management"
Lets you move projects around the workbench by drag & drop and lets you edit tasks on the first page by icons instead of having to open each individual task.

"Ushanka! 1.1"

Adds winter themed combat gear so you can stack defensive stats while having cold insulation. And this bad rear end looking Soviet style winter coat.

"Trade ship drop spots"
Lets you place a spot where drop pods land.

"CustomDeathRandomness"

Lets you decide the probability of enemy pawns falling down as opposed to flat out dying in combat.

"no job authors"
Lets any pawn continue any other pawns workbench project

"Stabilize here"
lets you pawns triage wounded people on the ground with a penalty to success rate since they have no medicine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Inacio posted:

you should definitely have that turn into an incinerator

To revisit this death tunnel, that's 100% the best way to deal with absurd infestations. Just a huge door/wall on either side of a burning fire and you smoke those fuckers out.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

jokes posted:

To revisit this death tunnel, that's 100% the best way to deal with absurd infestations. Just a huge door/wall on either side of a burning fire and you smoke those fuckers out.

Are there any doors/mods that let you have remote controlled doors, or walls that can be raised/lowed?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

At the end of Spring, Year 2, I've got what I might call my first successful fort. Randy, community builder difficulty. Had an excellent start when a breeding pair of alpacas decided to just show up, tame, in early summer, and a wild muffalo went tame not long after. Food source is rice and potatoes supplemented by hunting meat, plus a bulk trader showed up with some chickens and a shitton of meat so I gave him an entire season's stock of produce in exchange and felt like a proper frontier town.

Things have been pretty manageable so far, even managed to keep both explosive electrical fires from getting to my vulnerable stockpiles. Researched up to autoturrets, plus prosthetics, currently about 1/4 of the way to microelectronics. Most of those turret pits are still empty, which I should probably change since I had a meteor full of jade land in the middle of my animal fields and I got greedy and gobbled it all up. I imagine that inflated my fort's wealth value by a lot. I'm expecting the next invader might have more on him than just a knife.

Components are the bottleneck, as you might expect. The next time a trader shows up with a bunch, I'll clean him out. Is there a way to request more of specific items like you can in Dorfort? And am I correct in assuming that the Ancient Horror in that closed building is full of Hidden Fun Stuff? Read: Demons. Or robots. Robot demons? Basically what I'm saying is that if I get stupid and crack that thing open, I'm fully expecting my map to turn into a level of DOOM. Can I dig near it as long as I don't hit the crafted walls, or should I be wary of punching into a cave/tunnel in the regular rocks leading right into it?

Fake Edit: Fun stories so far... aside from the fore-mentioned second electrical fire event almost immediately after the first (it wasn't my batteries getting rained on, I double-checked, it was a random event)... I also had a pod drop down. Backstory: Mama is an Abrasive Misandrist incapable of violence. The man that came out of the pod was a Volatile Misogynist incapable of intellectual tasks. He is also Mama's husband. Not ex-husband, just... husband. I fixed him up unsurgeried because he's part of the faction I've been trading with, the two of them boinked, and podman went back on his merry way. I'd considered capturing and turning him, but A) Volatile Misogynist, and B) I really don't wanna piss off the faction with the good trades. Plus there's just something really amusing about one of my pawns having a long-distance marriage with someone she doesn't even like. :allears:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 25, 2020

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Build a wall around your compound with one open entrance. As long as there's an unobstructed path to your base enemies will go for that (sapper assaults excluded) so you only need to defend a single bottleneck and don't need all those bunkers. You can then make that bottleneck a single room (with an open path through it) where all the killing will take place.

You might even call it a killbox :v:

But mostly just do whatever the hell you want. Glad you're enjoying the game.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Ancient dangers only are surrounded by constructed walls, and dangers may be not only inside the walls but inside other things.

Agreed with a colony spanning wall. Have you had a manhunter pack event yet? That’s really helped by having a colony spanning wall or ability to close doors to keep colonists safe for a few days.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is Large Hills the easy-mode biome?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

Agreed with a colony spanning wall. Have you had a manhunter pack event yet? That’s really helped by having a colony spanning wall or ability to close doors to keep colonists safe for a few days.

This is why all my colonies that start as clusters of buildings end up becoming fully enclosed and roofed giant compounds: between manhunter packs and toxic fallout you need to be able to survive for a month without ever going outside.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What's the best wall material? Stone?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PMush Perfect posted:

Components are the bottleneck, as you might expect. The next time a trader shows up with a bunch, I'll clean him out. Is there a way to request more of specific items like you can in Dorfort? And am I correct in assuming that the Ancient Horror in that closed building is full of Hidden Fun Stuff? Read: Demons. Or robots. Robot demons? Basically what I'm saying is that if I get stupid and crack that thing open, I'm fully expecting my map to turn into a level of DOOM. Can I dig near it as long as I don't hit the crafted walls, or should I be wary of punching into a cave/tunnel in the regular rocks leading right into it?

I don't want to spoil the contents of the Ancient Dangers, but they're not nearly as bad as you think they are; they are a roughly early-mid game tier of difficulty. A handful of decent colonists with decent weapons (read: not revolvers or bolt-action rifles) can usually take them on with minimal injuries.

They are always fully surrounded by constructed walls, so you will never accidentally dig into them; you must either shoot the walls down or specifically deconstruct them. This does mean that raiders can break them open inadvertently.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PMush Perfect posted:

Vanilla I think it's plasteel or uranium, but stone is preferred simply because it's cheap, available in large quantities, and you don't have other uses for it. Stone also isn't flammable, which is a great perk. Different stone types have different HP values though, and if I remember correctly it's granite that is the strongest stone type for walls.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Okay this psychic rain was an interesting challenge at first but it's been 30+ days and I kind of just want it to end so I can deconstruct all of these roofed walkways. Is there a way to use the dev console or mod settings to get it to stop?

PMush Perfect posted:

Granite walls have the most HP and marble walls give the room a beauty bonus, so I always start on tiles that have both.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Best wall is Any Wall. Even cheap, fire hazard wooden walls is better than nothing because of pathing. But you definitely do not want wood walls long term because of the fire hazard.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Open mod settings from the ESC menu and go to Vanilla Events Expanded, you can end their purple events whenever you want.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Anyone who uses prison labor mod, how do you get the prisoners to actually do labor when there's a door in the way? I attached a quarry pit to their little barracks, but I had to destroy the door to make them actually run over and do stuff. Having the door up seemed to break their AI, with one dude just stuck starving in the quarry room.
The video I watched seemed to make it clear they could use doors fine, but I dunno what the deal is.

I just don't want the ugly quarry destroying their sleep and recreation bonuses with ugliness.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

by the way LWM's Deep Storage is the best extra storage mod i've used so far. you can save space at the cost of time, so it's not as cheaty as everything else

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Moon Slayer posted:

Okay this psychic rain was an interesting challenge at first but it's been 30+ days and I kind of just want it to end so I can deconstruct all of these roofed walkways. Is there a way to use the dev console or mod settings to get it to stop?

There ought to be a button akin to end game condition in the dev console.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Synnr posted:

Anyone who uses prison labor mod, how do you get the prisoners to actually do labor when there's a door in the way? I attached a quarry pit to their little barracks, but I had to destroy the door to make them actually run over and do stuff. Having the door up seemed to break their AI, with one dude just stuck starving in the quarry room.
The video I watched seemed to make it clear they could use doors fine, but I dunno what the deal is.

I just don't want the ugly quarry destroying their sleep and recreation bonuses with ugliness.

Theres a second mod called Locks that you need, you can unlock their cell door and they'll go do work

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I always pick a Granite + Marble map because granite makes good walls and marble makes good statues.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Katt posted:

I always pick a Granite + Marble map because granite makes good walls and marble makes good statues.

Same, although I will also settle for slate + marble sometimes because the black and white stone look nice together.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Another year! Progress isn't quite as visible this time, but things are turning out okay. I can make flak armor and assault rifles (as soon as I get more steel after using it all on concrete and turrets.) Everyone's decently happy, I've got even more alpacas and chickens, I've done a couple simple missions, actually had a raider with a lever action rifle show up, so I know things are gonna start getting a bit more serious soon. Current plan is to mine a shitton more steel, and use it to gear up a small squad so I can A) feel more safe while questing, and B) crack open that :can:. I also have sterile floors and am in the process of researching medical beds. Soon, all that practice chopping off hands and legs and replacing them with pegs will pay off!

Actually, I already stole one kidney and a lung from someone, but I stopped there because holy poo poo why is the mood debuff global? One of my pawn's asthma is getting worse so I'm gonna steal both lungs from the next healthy sap who survives that long, but I'm not looking forward to the global mood drop and then immediately getting hit by a psychic drone.

No real exciting stories this year, but my alpacas are now entirely hay-fed, and starting to outpace my production. So I may need to expand my hay farm. I also finally have enough automation and such that I've got a mostly full-time cook and a mostly full-time cleaner. (Mama and Goldilocks, respectively.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 25, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think it makes sense that "gently caress did we really just harvest organs from this mook" effects everyone

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bad mood is temporary, replacement organs are forever.

Seriously though it's pretty balanced if you consider it that way. If you carve up every prisoner for parts to sell then naturally your colonists are going to be horrified, but do it one or twice a year to patch up a crippled colonist until you can make your own bionics and they'll get over it soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Does anyone have clear instructions on how to upload a colonist to a T5 android from Android Tiers? I tried looking on Reddit and got nowhere. I'm not doing something right:

--research and build Skymind V2 antenna, VX2 neural chip, I500 server, cryptosleep caskets
--stick chip in colonist, stick colonist in casket
--drop the temp in the casket room below zero
--upload to Skymind via server
--plug into T5 somehow? here's where everything falls apart

EDIT: forgot a step