Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://reddit.com/link/hwvyja/video/gg4gm6xfpqc51/player

Incredible...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Pretty good metaphor for SC.

Death by mocap.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Background: I have an online degree in game development and I totally aced my local PHP class.

Here's why I think SC is amazing...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1284482524706725889

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
More than 200k $ spent to make a pizza from spaceship models. They could launch some better CubeSat (or several) into actual space for that kind of money.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Wowo, what an honor!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Megalobster posted:

Uhrman, like Chris, is a case study of failing upwards.

I still remember her live on stage, trying to answer "Why should I buy it and what kind of exclusive game will make me decide to buy one will be avaible.".
Or that time when she went "There is nothing special about this product, nothing!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTqhyHuKVKA

That people like that keep getting high paying jobs is mind blowing.

Remember that Carlin bit about finding out how stupid the average person is by thinking about the average stupid people you know and realizing half of them are stupider than that?

Well, even the stupid half has money. It's just a matter of being just smart enough to take advantage of them, while being not quite smart enough to realize you don't know what you're doing. (Or being a psychopath - that works too.)

And of course the biggest and least talked about factor: luck. It's nearly impossible to predict which subculture's particular brand of brain worms will pry their wallet open - you kind of have to just fall into it.

If money went to the person who actually caused it to be spent than Lesnick would have at least half of what CIG has taken in. He had the brain worms in question and helped tailor the narrative specifically to it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
https://twitter.com/99__95/status/1...2widget%3DTweet

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

This has to be a partial shoop? If not I've been wrong all these years and evolution is a lie, its all aboard! on Intelligent Design!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Megalobster posted:

That people like that keep getting high paying jobs is mind blowing.

I’ve had my mind blown since Polly Peck and the privatization of Group Four security, but it’s really not that unusual, it’s just that most people are worried about their appearance to other people. Most want to be considered honest and good people.

The power move is being completely dishonest and simply telling people what they want to hear, which is a common thread in these projects. It’s literally one of my earliest indicators that Star Citizen was probably not coming out, because they were simply waving through concepts that have either disappeared or backburnered into oblivion.

The main concept that these guys exploit is that you can’t be faulted for trying. Which is vaguely different to knowing what you’re doing and producing a product. Of course the funding model means that all the money was given up front, which breaks the normal commerce model and ‘fitness for purpose’. Star Citizen is literally a pig in a poke scam.

And it’s endemic. Right now there are 3-4 companies getting millions for PPE that they’ll never actually supply, hundreds of little scammers working to rob people of cash, and very little in the way of enforcement or restitution apart from ‘caveat emptor’.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Trilobite posted:

Also, as revealed in an earlier interview, Chris's biggest frustration as a manager is that sometimes when he tells a so-called "expert" to do something, that person gives him a long list of reasons why "it can't be done." And obviously, the only reason they keep saying that to him is because they don't know as much as he does and just want to tell him no, when they should be carefully watching his hands move around as he explains what he wants and then going and making it happen.

That's why he's taken the novel approach to game development of only having employees who won't tell him that things can't be done. It solves half of the problem, and if they would just stop failing to do the things all the experts said couldn't be done, the other half would be solved, too!

This is an amazing comment and I love it. :)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

These backers are always my favorite, because I feel like they are the people still funding the game constantly. Their concept of playing the game amounts to pretending to play the game, or pretending to be somebody important in the game.

It's why they don't try to do anything in it. They go land in a circle and don't engage in any gameplay or things to do. It's basically just a high detailed chat room; if they even used the game to chat in instead of something like discord or somewhere else to go role play.

But those are the guys funding it. So I hope they had fun. :)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

I do want Star Citizen to be good (:lol: it won't be) but is it wrong that i sometimes want SC to spectacularly fail just so i can see the meltowns of super whales like these crazies?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I feel like this needs to be quoted again because I don't think I've seen a cat that looks like it is full of love more.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/sRZUcuC.mp4

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

The Titanic posted:

I feel like this needs to be quoted again because I don't think I've seen a cat that looks like it is full of love more.

To sum up "LOOK AT THIS CAT"

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

holy poo poo, look at that shoulder jittering in first person view! Fidelity! You are the janky shoulder controlling the arm that fires the gun that shoots mocap bullets

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Pixelate posted:

QUANTUM TRAVEL SHIP DISINTEGRATES (600I)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Ncc_acNlwm

UNS Arboghast simulator looking sharp!

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

Maybe Stadia could release Star Citizen then we could meld the threads together with the schad thread.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

skyelevator posted:

Maybe Stadia could release Star Citizen then we could meld the threads together with the schad thread.

You would create a singularity of loathing and absurdity the like of which not seen since the creation of the universe.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

SpitefulHammer posted:

This is exactly what people were saying about Radiant AI in Oblivion pre-release, we all know how that turned out.

It's interesting because the idea that AI and procedural generation could create content that rivals good hand-crafted content is probably the holy grail of video games. Yeah there's definitely been good procedural stuff out there, but nothing like what some of these cig dreamers envision. I don't imagine we'll get anything like that for a long, long time. And I don't see how a sexy bear would be the one to get us there. :colbert:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/UtjDOsV.gifv

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

skyelevator posted:

I like how the stadia thread has their very own MoMA. so did the OUYA thread if I remember correctly.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

"Executive Regatta" just sounds like a euphemism for circlejerk, and the picture confirms it.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Why thank @SandiGardiner ?

She does not give a gently caress about Star Citizen, she just in it to take your money.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

thread owns

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

:lol:

“Legatus Executive Regatta”

We’re better than everyone because we each spent over $27,000 on video game spaceships in a failed crowdfunded pre-alpha. Thanks Chris and Sandi for giving us the amazing opportunity to throw our money at you, so you can live a lavish life pretending to be entertainment big wigs in LA.

Jorunn is the loving king of the game dad whales keeping this mess afloat. He has not a single shred of self-awareness or self-respect. 20 years from now he’ll still be mailing cash to Chris’ retirement mansion in the Cayman Islands.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I love how their ultra-high-quality beyond-next-gen better-than-AAAA graphics engine has visible z-fighting and pop-in on barren, normal rear end rocks ten feet in front of the player’s nose

megane fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 24, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nicholas posted:

I like how the stadia thread has their very own MoMA. so did the OUYA thread if I remember correctly.

Yes, HA and Xbox Pants. There is always one of 'that dude".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

megane posted:

I love how

Nicholas posted:

I like how

Everybody likes how, he's a good poster

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Nicholas posted:

HA over at the Stadia thread is a treat. It was great when he finally admitted after being asked 500 times that he works for Google.

Wish we had someone like that in the elon musk thread.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/rWQFiXm.mp4

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

colonelwest posted:

:lol:

“Legatus Executive Regatta”

We’re better than everyone because we each spent over $27,000 on video game spaceships in a failed crowdfunded pre-alpha. Thanks Chris and Sandi for giving us the amazing opportunity to throw our money at you, so you can live a lavish life pretending to be entertainment big wigs in LA.

Jorunn is the loving king of the game dad whales keeping this mess afloat. He has not a single shred of self-awareness or self-respect. 20 years from now he’ll still be mailing cash to Chris’ retirement mansion in the Cayman Islands.

I'd been thinking he was a CIG employee what with "SC" in his name and Twitter handle- nope, seems like just a streamer.

Colostomy Bag posted:

HA over at the Stadia thread is a treat. It was great when he finally admitted after being asked 500 times that he works for Google.

Wish we had someone like that in the elon musk thread.

Or Ole' Musky himself. (Seems like something he'd do)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That is a weird lookin dog.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I'd been thinking he was a CIG employee what with "SC" in his name and Twitter handle- nope, seems like just a streamer.

Yeah he’s just a whale who spends all of his free time hyping Star Citizen for free. He also runs a website for and organizes all of the Bar Citizen events.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Or Ole' Musky himself. (Seems like something he'd do)

You know, now that I think about it you are right.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

in the comments people are talking about hanging out in a bar so maybe they just all kill themselves with corona

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

if you've ever wanted to see the face of a guy who tips a cam girl $3000 in the hopes that she acknowledges him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

L. Ron Hoover posted:

It's interesting because the idea that AI and procedural generation could create content that rivals good hand-crafted content is probably the holy grail of video games. Yeah there's definitely been good procedural stuff out there, but nothing like what some of these cig dreamers envision. I don't imagine we'll get anything like that for a long, long time. And I don't see how a sexy bear would be the one to get us there. :colbert:

Ah player! Welcome to -Arcorp station- !

We don't run this place but we have an understanding with those who do.

We'd like you to go to -New Reno-
And deliver this -stolen goods- of -corn- to one of our people there.

You will be paid -acceptably- since you are wearing -average looking- clothing and smell -like an rear end in a top hat-.

Also be sure to get a drink on your way out because you look -very thirsty-.