Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Big Ink posted:

The safest and quickest way is split-saw the door and move to the side. You don't stand in front of a raging bull after all. Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FozfsiTim2o

a few quick examples,

The thing is, while it's rare, opening a door (either with the button or the cutter) can break the ECU and cause the entire ship to blow up. It's rare, but I've had it happen, and as far as I can tell there's no real way to avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Big Ink posted:

You can move a large mass just by grappling something unattached, such as a chair or anything, and place it against the object and lightly swinging your grapple in the direction you want the mass to go. It's a physics bug.

It's not a bug, it's a design issue. Being able to do that is how physics would work in real life. The limit on weight is purely an artificial one for gameplay reasons and they probably don't test for the combined weight of all the contacts because it would be terrible for performance.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
Fair enough, the point was really to let people know they can move large objects without tethers. You can move an entire makerel to the processor/furnace without a single cut.

But, you can't move the entire gecko as such. Or if you can it takes an incredibly long time to get any motion out of it.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Big Ink posted:

Fair enough, the point was really to let people know they can move large objects without tethers. You can move an entire makerel to the processor/furnace without a single cut.

But, you can't move the entire gecko as such. Or if you can it takes an incredibly long time to get any motion out of it.
brb, gonna try this

edit: no, too massive, can't even put them with a detached keel in free play

Sestze fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 18, 2020

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Big Ink posted:

The safest and quickest way is split-saw the door and move to the side. You don't stand in front of a raging bull after all. Right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FozfsiTim2o

a few quick examples,

Edit: It's not really safe, you can see the ECU exploded from the airlock debris either directly or through damaged electronics exploding. Possibly fuel cells, I wasn't paying that close attention to what was being destroyed.

Interesting. I never thought about doing that. I like how the game blows the doors in the correct direction according to air pressure. (Cut into the storage room raises the pressure in the main cabin pushing the doors into first class.)

I may give the game a break for a while because of the fuel tank glitch. I've started pulling off computers and fuel tanks first before anything moves, but it still seems to happen. Even had a free floating tank and when I picked it up it rocketed off and destroyed the back half of the Gecko. :(

Still greatly enjoying the game 40 hours in.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Travic posted:

Interesting. I never thought about doing that. I like how the game blows the doors in the correct direction according to air pressure. (Cut into the storage room raises the pressure in the main cabin pushing the doors into first class.)

I may give the game a break for a while because of the fuel tank glitch. I've started pulling off computers and fuel tanks first before anything moves, but it still seems to happen. Even had a free floating tank and when I picked it up it rocketed off and destroyed the back half of the Gecko. :(

Still greatly enjoying the game 40 hours in.

Knock on wood but I've never had the fuel tank glitch happen. Plenty of other ones, but not that one. Wonder if it's something hardware/system specific.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm just writing off the fuel tanks for now. They're not that valuable and clearing one extra work order isn't worth risking the rear end-end of a Gecko. They go into the processor still attached to the aft hull.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 23, 2020

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
If you want the fuel tanks turning Vsync either on or off fixes it.

Or:
-Pull the tank to about 90% then fast click grapple/pull until it comes off, this way you'll 'catch' it as it comes off rather than flinging it
-Place your left hand (default [z]) on the tank and pull
-Combine the previous two

But the best solution aside from vsync, pull the tanks before moving the rear hull plate.

Otherwise they aren't really worth the time. If you're grinding work orders do it on mackerels.

Edit: with today's update WO who knows

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 23, 2020

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Big Ink posted:

If you want the fuel tanks turning Vsync either on or off fixes it.

Or:
-Pull the tank to about 90% then fast click grapple/pull until it comes off, this way you'll 'catch' it as it comes off rather than flinging it
-Place your left hand (default [z]) on the tank and pull
-Combine the previous two

But the best solution aside from vsync, pull the tanks before moving the rear hull plate.

Otherwise they aren't really worth the time. If you're grinding work orders do it on mackerels.

Unfortunately it still happens. There are times when I'll grab a free floating tank and it will start flying around the dock like it has an invisible tether on it. I've even tried tethering the tanks and computers off instead of grappling them and the physics actually fight the tether all the way down.

I'll have to try the Vsync. It's the one thing I haven't tried. I love this game so I'd be overjoyed if that fixes it. I'm sure they'll get it fixed sometime though.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a9opsgjIFs
13 million single shift run.
Subtitled commentary in the captions

Heffer fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 23, 2020

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Going to give this game a break until it's had a few more optimization passes, as it maxing out both my CPU and GPU seems to have been what caused my (now former) power supply to start dying. I'm happy with what I've experienced of it for now, so I'll wait for more polish and content.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

More ship designs are starting to trickle in--no brand-new hulls yet, but I just had a Mackerel with multiple power cells & no interior walls.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1161580/view/4354369689165784584

Greetings Cutters,

We are back this week with an update full of additional employee-suggested content!

For this update, we focused on bringing more variety to the current gameplay so that every shift at Lynx Corp feels like a real challenge! Thank you all for the precious feedback and suggestions you have shared with us since launch. Players will be happy to learn that Mackerels are now set up to introduce more diversity between roles:

Heavy Cargo Mackerels now have a unique interior layout, with more room for carrying extremely dangerous cargo.

Light Cargo Mackerels have now been set up to transport a mix of objects.

All Mackerels have had their Reactor, Power Cell and Coolant Tank setups revisited, so you will see much greater variation in where these components are located.

Additionally in-game mouse and keyboard rebinding is now also available.

This is only the first step towards more content as the Lynx Corp HR team are already working on adding more variety within each ship but also bringing new types of ships to the table!

Major Changes & Additions

O2 Drain can be toggled in Open Shift mode
For our Space Cutters eager to fight their limits without being pressured by time, feel free to try to dismantle everything while your oxygen is running out!

Increased variety between Mackerel roles.

Increased Work Order Objective Variety.
In order to pinpoint which space cutters are real talents for Lynx Corp, variety has been added to work order objectives! Get ready for different work orders from now on during your shifts.

Additional Player Voice Option Added to Contract.

In-game Mouse & Keyboard Rebinding.
Gamefile keybinding is now a forgotten feverish dream as cutters can now rebind directly in-game.

Patch Notes:

Audio

Couple of audio mix tweaks.

Added work order complete sound to when a work order has all of its objectives completed and none failed

Fix broken reactor room audio. New implementation that supports randomised reactor spawn location.

Sound effects and vo hookups for work order complete

Fixed an issue where door based decompression sounds didn't always play when going from unpressurized to pressurized

Data Viewer, Text and Audio Log fixes

Added new sync'd audio for power generator dejoint that matches the vfx

UI and Text

Added missing restore to defaults popup link.

Set Wrench hud marker visibility on and off when entering the kiosk

Added loading bar for creating user feedback

Moving all Work Order Objectives to be possible instead of guaranteed.

Fixed delete profile prompt text getting cut off

Fixed hab device owner text getting cut off

Cutter Heat UI, now renders behind damage vfx

Fixed tooltip prompt being active during game loading

Fixed overlapping text in French

All data drives and credit drives now uses the same texture with color variations.

Fixed text misbehaving en francais on continue button on rank up

Grey'd out the "Ship Diagnostic" Pause Menu option and added a "Coming Soon" tag.

Changed the Good Morning Cutter message to mention that fees need to be paid daily not monthly.

Fixed title news not being localized correctly

Corrected several scripting bugs related to turning off the Macker's Thruster Terminals due to the recent Mackerel updates.

Art, SFX & animation

Added new ECU powerdown SFX when you pull the last cryo collectible

Added new power generator powerdown SFX for success and failure

Found narative (data drives) interactable glows

Fix suffocation animation not ending properly.

MISC

Corrected a seemingly rare issue in which Normal difficulty Mackerel nacelles would spawn without a frame or cut point. This would cause an issue where the nacelles could simply be pulled away, and the ship would be exposed to the vaccum of space, and yet not decompress.

Added an atmosphere regulator to the Flight Deck of the Commercial Transport Gecko.

Cockpit door update, including some new jointing that had to be done for it.

Structural beam work for the crawlspaces (but not the nose) of the Mackerel.

Implemented dimorphism between the two Cargo Mackerels, using role distinctions instead of theme distinctions. Now the Industrial Cargo will spawn with LOTS of explosives, and the Commercial Cargo will spawn with more mundane things like computers and beds.Retuned for Commercial Cargo Mackerel difficulty.

Some rework of how things spawn inside the mackerel, particularly walkways, and walls - mostly as part of the above.

Mackerels can no longer spawn with a pipe attached to their reactors. When activating the manual override, the thruster itself will now leak uMBRe (Fuel X).

Fixes for gecko rooms

Fix incorrect shatterable component volume calculation

In-game configurable keyboard hookup

Armour plates are now configured on Geckos and will show up in the Work Order.

Improved consistency of blocking grapple push when an interactable is on screen

The Tutorial Mackerel now has a ship role (Training).

Correcting an empty 'room' in the side of the Mackerel.

Corrected an issue where the Thruster Braking Update Asset would show the wrong text.

Fixed an issue with the rank on the frontend, minimum value of 1 on the rank on the frontend

Corrected an issue where cockpit doors in the Mackerel would never open.

Corrected an issue where cockpit doors in the Gecko would not always properly joint to the frame of a ship.

"Cruel" (IE: Very Hard) Mackerels no longer spawn with Thruster Terminals now.

Now removing the tail, cutting the cut points below the terminal, and activating the override should now all properly turn off the terminal.

Corrected an issue where some cargo terminals would spawn unconfigured.

Corrected a placement issue where the updated Normal Difficulty Fuel Pipes would spawn clipping slightly into the updated reinforcement beams- this would cause the Mackerel Tail to jitter when cut loose.

Corrected the positioning of all remaining crawlspace lights. This should prevent lights spawning in floating or disconnected.

Set work order slots based on difficulty

Reworking the flow zones in the Bay. There were claims that the furnace was too aggressive- which seemed strange since the furnace and processor share a flow. Overall, the new zones remain aggressive and dangerous, but are now positioned much cleaner.

Setting the spawn rate of the Extra Extra Large Cryo Tanks to 0 for all difficulties.

Fix selecting buttons when clicking the back button in the cert screen

Corrected an issue where some chassis pieces around the cockpit in the Mackerel were not being properly jointed.

Personal Terminals that spawn in the flight deck can now be properly salvaged.

Properly uniformalized the interior chassis structure parts in the Mackerel. Now they should behave much more consistently, especially in scan-mode.

Slight re-tuning of the furnace flow volumes again. Now it should be possible (but difficult) to recover objects from beyond the yellow line- especially lighter objects.

Added new roll sensitivity option

Modified how the Thruster/Reactor spawn. Because the pipe has been removed, the difficulties have been rethought a bit, and now Medium and Hard difficulties simply changes the chance for damaging the thrusters when using the manual override. Very Hard removes the terminal and guarantees damage on the manual override.

The reactor for the Mackerel can now spawn in several places, starting from Normal difficulty and higher. High difficulties increases the chance of an unconventional reactor spawn.

Fixed a pseudo bug where the large fuel canisters jointed to panels, in particular the large panel below them. This was a side-effect of how canisters were jointed, and arguably as designed. It wasn't a good design though, so now the fuel canisters separate along with the tail segment.

Ceiling spawning soft crates are more frequent, more varied, and much more likely to spawn properly jointed.

Corrected some very slight offsets in the Mackerel which could cause difficulty separating objects.

Corrected an issue where nose-positioned reactors in the Mackerel had a high chance of spawning unjointed.

Corrected an issue where medium difficulty Mackerels would have their fuel canisters zoom off when disconnected because of an intersecting cut point.

Corrected an issue where an uncommon bed spawn in the Industrial Gecko would place batteries in the cockpit door, and cause nasty mesh clipping and Z-fighting.

Setting up object specific Work Order Objectives.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I had a dream I flew the space shuttle...except it was a Gecko and fell apart during liftoff.

I loving love this game.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

Travic posted:

I had a dream I flew the space shuttle...except it was a Gecko and fell apart during liftoff.

I loving love this game.

I hear the music night and day, it's amazing!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
It's very cool that they made the oxygen toggle-able in free shift mode. Just a small thing, but shows that they are really listening to feedback.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
It's great they're adding in the variations of ship configuration and I hope they do more of that. I mean I want a stupidly big ships to deconstruct but I don't think the game would be great at that and instead it would really shine with just a couple more additions and then focusing on mixing up the challenge of each ship. I want the ship where the previous crew/owner was a dick and welded the bottom half of the ship to the frame and you can no longer easily cut out the floor/bottom by just hitting the critical junctions. How about one that's being scrapped because a quarter of it is floating debris after a rock/weapon impact and you have to try and salvage what's left instead of the whole thing. Or where the ship is being scrapped because it had a major fuel rupture and the interior of the ship is covered with it so you have to be really precise with your cuts or risk igniting everything.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

nessin posted:

It's great they're adding in the variations of ship configuration and I hope they do more of that. I mean I want a stupidly big ships to deconstruct but I don't think the game would be great at that and instead it would really shine with just a couple more additions and then focusing on mixing up the challenge of each ship. I want the ship where the previous crew/owner was a dick and welded the bottom half of the ship to the frame and you can no longer easily cut out the floor/bottom by just hitting the critical junctions. How about one that's being scrapped because a quarter of it is floating debris after a rock/weapon impact and you have to try and salvage what's left instead of the whole thing. Or where the ship is being scrapped because it had a major fuel rupture and the interior of the ship is covered with it so you have to be really precise with your cuts or risk igniting everything.

I want to sometimes have a note from the previous crew explaining why the ship is being scrapped, except the explanation is total bullshit. Just the equivalent of some guy who has tried to fix his his car, screwed everything up, and is now taking it to the mechanic while scratching his head and saying he has no idea what could have gone wrong with it.

"Yeah she's running a little rough, think maybe something went wrong with one of the nacelles, not sure..." You get in there and the fuel and coolant pipelines are welded together into some unholy mess.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 24, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AFAIK, the lore is that they updated the infrastructure ships use to get around and older ships can't be easily retrofitted so they're all scrapped en masse.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Gotta tear half the goddamn ship apart because a space-raccoon went and crawled up into the works of the dang ol' thing and well you KNOW that it ain't skitter'n out for hell or high water y'naw?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I hope the ending of the game is you pay off your debt then get a message,

Hey Cutter, looks like the company is enacting cost cutting measures and you're job is being automated. Sorry, but we gotta cut you loose.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I figure any cutter that pays off their debt is laid off or otherwise reassigned because a debt free cutter would be making all that money for themselves instead of paying the money back to the corporation.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Doesn't the debt include a ticket to the outer solar system already as the actual carrot on the stick? You get the ride to orbit now and the ride out on payment in full.

And then you get to be a wage slave in the outer solar system.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I figure any cutter that pays off their debt is laid off or otherwise reassigned because a debt free cutter would be making all that money for themselves instead of paying the money back to the corporation.

I'll be amazed if Lynx wasn't making more off of everything you scrap and salvage for them than what you actually get

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I hope the ending of the game is you pay off your debt then get a message,

Hey Cutter, looks like the company is enacting cost cutting measures and you're job is being automated. Sorry, but we gotta cut you loose.

Debt payoff spoilers: when you finish paying off your debt you get a letter from corporate saying your account manager has passed away and, due to a number of major clerical errors on his part, your debt isn't fully paid off. In fact, it's such a kerfuffle nobody seems to know how much you actually owe so, uhh, just keep working and they'll get back to you. After that your debt counter goes negative, i.e. -1,302,300 owed.

The debt counter also stays RED, which is what I found most infuriating. I was so looking forward to it turning GREEN.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Skippy McPants posted:

Debt payoff spoilers: when you finish paying off your debt you get a letter from corporate saying your account manager has passed away and, due to a number of major clerical errors on his part, your debt isn't fully paid off. In fact, it's such a kerfuffle nobody seems to know how much you actually owe so, uhh, just keep working and they'll get back to you. After that your debt counter goes negative, i.e. -1,302,300 owed.

The debt counter also stays RED, which is what I found most infuriating. I was so looking forward to it turning GREEN.

lmao

I hope that's the level of dark corporate dystopia this game stays at. I'm busy living in the RL corporate dystopia, I don't need some downer Moon-esque ending when you pay off your debt.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Wrr posted:

Gotta tear half the goddamn ship apart because a space-raccoon went and crawled up into the works of the dang ol' thing and well you KNOW that it ain't skitter'n out for hell or high water y'naw?

A game mode where a spider skittered through the air vent and the whole ship has to be taken apart until you find it.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Heffer posted:

A game mode where a spider skittered through the air vent and the whole ship has to be taken apart until you find it.

Nothing goes to the barge or processing, everything you pull or cut is just labeled "Furnace."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Umbreon posted:

I'll be amazed if Lynx wasn't making more off of everything you scrap and salvage for them than what you actually get

Well, yes, of course. But all the share of the money their cutters are earning is basically immediately going back to Lynx to pay off their cutter's debts, and what incentive do they have to keep a debtless cutter when they can just grab another of the desperate masses that passes a few tests?

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

It's a real email as well, they'll respond after a few days. They told me my claim of exempt from accounting errors due to being from Galactic sector ZZ9 plural Z alpha was non recognized religious designation and my debt would be reissued shortly. It was a silly effort of my part, but why not have a bit of fun where you can?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, yes, of course. But all the share of the money their cutters are earning is basically immediately going back to Lynx to pay off their cutter's debts, and what incentive do they have to keep a debtless cutter when they can just grab another of the desperate masses that passes a few tests?

Because getting through all the debris in orbit is difficult and not guaranteed. One of the data things written to a new ship breaker is that you should knock yourself out for the flight and hope you wake up

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So just clone a new cutter from their Day 1 and leave out the memories of their accumulated experience. Maybe that violates some silly ethics laws but I’m sure the proper forms and waivers could be included in the sign up process.

The did have you sign permission to make an endless amount of clones after all and I’m pretty sure it didn’t say only one could exist at a time.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

The original cutter sold his DNA children in to slavery, and is currently living in luxury on Mars

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Heffer posted:

The original cutter sold his DNA children in to slavery, and is currently living in luxury on Mars

As if. The original DNA rights got signed away for $100 and a donut as part of a medical study.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 25, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Very Hard Gecko work orders are asking for more stuff than the ship actually has :saddowns:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

So i can't get past the tutorial because i don't know wtf it's asking me for the grapple push. I tried every single iteration of C and having an antenna grappled wtf.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Arghy posted:

So i can't get past the tutorial because i don't know wtf it's asking me for the grapple push. I tried every single iteration of C and having an antenna grappled wtf.

Blast it with the F key into the big blue barge below you

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wrr posted:

Blast it with the F key into the big blue barge below you

Seriously?! Why doesn't the goddamn tutorial say anything about the loving F key?? It say's i should use C very clearly.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Maybe it's an issue with adding control rebinding or just a simple mistake. I don't remember that happening but it's been weeks since I did the tutorial so I would report it to them.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Things like how to interact with the kiosk needs to be explained far better too, wondering why they never included a return to level option for a space sim too. I mean the earth is right below you haha you clearly have a plane of reference for down.

The joys of purposefully venting the reactor into the barge only to mix up what tool you have and shoot it with a cutting laser hahaha.