Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the descent underground dev also is in a legal holding pattern by little orbit terminating their deal and suing them, so even if they did have singleplayer to release, which they don't, they can't. lol

they stopped posting on the forums a few months ago afaict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I just bought a new game, but it's too large to fit on my (small, old) SSD. I see there is an option to create a new Steam library on my other HDD. Is there any downsides to doing this (other than load times)?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Nope. I do the same thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

space marine todd posted:

Kind of a weird request but I'm looking for single-player adventure/role-playing games that my wife and I can co-play together (if that makes sense). She has been abroad for her job for the last year and unfortunately can't come back to the US until likely next year due to COVID-19 travel lockdowns. We're getting bored of syncing up and watching movies together long-distance so I was thinking I'd just stream a game for us via Discord so we can do something different.

She's really into David Lynch, David Cronenberg, Richard Stanley, and Michael Haneke movies so I was thinking something weird like Disco Elysium could work. Any other suggestions for point-and-click/turn-based games that are focused on dialogue and story?

Life is Strange Season 1 is very inspired by Twin Peaks. As is Deadly Premonition. As is Alan Wake. As is Silent Hill 2. As is

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Uthor posted:

I just bought a new game, but it's too large to fit on my (small, old) SSD. I see there is an option to create a new Steam library on my other HDD. Is there any downsides to doing this (other than load times)?

I have three Steam libraries across my drives that I'm constantly shuffling games around on these days. Games playing now/games maybe playing soon/games i'm not playing but are too big to keep redownloading. It's one of the more convenient features Steam has imo.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kind of a weird request but I'm looking for single-player adventure/role-playing games that my wife and I can co-play together (if that makes sense). She has been abroad for her job for the last year and unfortunately can't come back to the US until likely next year due to COVID-19 travel lockdowns. We're getting bored of syncing up and watching movies together long-distance so I was thinking I'd just stream a game for us via Discord so we can do something different.

She's really into David Lynch, David Cronenberg, Richard Stanley, and Michael Haneke movies so I was thinking something weird like Disco Elysium could work. Any other suggestions for point-and-click/turn-based games that are focused on dialogue and story?

Disco Elysium is a great choice. Pillars of Eternity 1/2 and Divinity Original Sin 1/2 may also work. I liked the stories of the Pillars games, but Divinity gets wild with the environment. Your wife could throw out crazy things for you to try in puzzles and battles. Throw a mine down a hall to block attackers from heading your way? Welp, the AI just teleported that mine on top of you. You can do some crazy things to bypass puzzles (and are subsequently called out for it in some cases) with the teleport spell in that game. There is quite a bit of variety in how you tackle things.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unavowed
Tales from the Borderlands

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hwurmp posted:

Unavowed
Tales from the Borderlands

Aw yeah Tales from the Borderlands is fantastic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Uthor posted:

There is no downside to it at all. "Steam Library" in this case just means "a place where Steam installs your games." You can have as many of these as you want without any problems.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
You can even move games between libraries directly from steam once you have more than one set up, instead of having to download the game again or do manual move shenanigans.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Uthor posted:

Nope, and if you want to boost loading times in games that you launch often or that load the same assets over and over, Primocache + a tiny old or cheap ebay SSD can do the trick. Like hybrid drives it'll only boost loads after the data has been pulled at least once, but you'll have a lot more SSD space to work with than hybrid drives and a single SSD will work for multiple HDDs! If you only set up a read cache you don't have to worry about possible data corruption if the SSD dies, either.

On the other hand $45 can also get you a cheap 500GB SSD, so whether Primocache is worth it kind of depends how much overflow you have... :ohdear:

E: You can also just set aside 50-100GB of your current SSD instead of using a separate one just for the cache.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 24, 2020

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Kanfy posted:

No Man's Sky definitely seemed to have recovered a ton from the immense shitstorm around it at launch.

I can't say they haven't made the effort at this point, but it is still far removed from an enjoyable experience and the bugs present make Bethesda look downright competent. A couple months ago I watched someone stream it and he couldn't go 10 minutes without encountering something game breaking. Judging by recent reviews, it's still possible to have your entire fleet disappear when you try to move it, a bug that's been in the game for years now.

And the loving thing still costs $60.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Edmond Dantes posted:

You can even move games between libraries directly from steam once you have more than one set up, instead of having to download the game again or do manual move shenanigans.

Yeah this is the ticket. Create new library, move games you aren't playing right now to the slow drive, install new game to SSD.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

I'm shocked nobody's said Pathologic 2 yet when Lynch, Cronenberg, and Stanley have been discussed. Granted, not point-and-click/turn-based but then DE isn't quite that either.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Thanks for all the recommendations! I asked about point and click games mostly because my wife's internet speeds aren't that great where she is at so FPS games/games with lots of motion wouldn't really work.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

I just finished the first real dungeon in CrossCode, Temple Mine

Those dungeons are long :stare:

Doing more than one or two sidequests seems almost impossible to do and stay on-curve, bloody hell I've still got a few quests for Rookie Harbor and almost all of them for Bergen to do, and I'm off to the next area already? :psyduck:

There's no curve to worry about. Do the sidequests if you think they are fun, and don't do them if you don't. You'll have everything you need for the main path on the main path itself. It really is the chillest of games. The best way to describe CrossCode is that is is full of love. It is made with love and it loves you and wants you to be happy. If you love it, there's a ton of game to play. If you just like it but don't love it, it's perfectly fine with that relationship.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Stickman posted:

E: You can also just set aside 50-100GB of your current SSD instead of using a separate one just for the cache.

K8.0 posted:

Yeah this is the ticket. Create new library, move games you aren't playing right now to the slow drive, install new game to SSD.

Not unless I uninstall literally every program on my computer other than Windows, I can't! :D

I definitely need to upgrade the PC, including getting a much bigger SSD, but since I lost my job in March, I don't really feel the need to drop hundreds of dollars on doing this right now.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Megasabin posted:

My friends really want to have a virtual lan party. I'm not really sure what that means nowadays since we all play games together online all the time anyway. Essentially I think they want games that would be fun to play with just our group of 7-10 people with no other random players from the internet.

The initial list of games they came up with was dire so we decided to push it off till next week and actually try to find games that would work well for this setting.

I'm trying to think of games that would be good for this setting. After some googling The Ship & Spy Party seem really cool. Barotrauma also seems unique and interesting.

Anyone else have other suggestions for games that would work?

Edit: Are there any modern tower defense games that have co-op or even vs that would be fun for this?

Unreal tournament 2004

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I had an absolutely magical moment playing the Forest co-op last night where we were walking down the beach talking about Shadow of the Colossus and I was relating the story of how I traversed that empty open world to go to a beach and it took so long to get there and there was nothing but a beach. Exploration for the sake of it, not to find the marker and such. And as we're talking I spot a cannibal up ahead run out towards the water and go "one... two three, four, OH no back up BACK UP"

We turned around instantly and ran for our lives as there were like eight cannibals and I have never had the sense of fun? adrenaline as I did in that moment where I was having fun but simultaneously terrified because if that pack caught us we would've probably died.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

If your anime JRPG tolerance is high enough, Persona 4 just came out in Steam and might fit the bill. It's turn-based small-town murder mystery and they've admitted that a lot of the feel/aesthetics of the series are heavily inspired by Twin Peaks (if Twin Peaks were set in an anime Japanese high school).

If you need more low-fi low-bandwidth but less Twin Peaks, Phoenix Wright series could fit the bill but that's Switch not Steam.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Megasabin posted:

My friends really want to have a virtual lan party. I'm not really sure what that means nowadays since we all play games together online all the time anyway. Essentially I think they want games that would be fun to play with just our group of 7-10 people with no other random players from the internet.

You could do Killing Floor 2 as a co-op wave shooter, but you'd have to run your own server and also add a mutator to support more than 6 players. Not trivial, but there's a page with instructions as well as Steam workshop for what you need. The added bonus is you can turn on friendly fire and really get to yell at people.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So is "based on Twin Peaks" just mean "slightly quirky, involving a small town with a hint of supernatural?" cause I remember that show being basically a soap opera

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

helps if it's in the pacific northwest but that's not a requirement

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You also need offbeat townie characters and a bangin soundtrack.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Also horror. Twin peaks is so good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can have a little horror, as a treat.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The art design in Persona's Velvet Room is "we changed it from red to violet and kept everything else the same" level of "inspiration".

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So is "based on Twin Peaks" just mean "slightly quirky, involving a small town with a hint of supernatural?" cause I remember that show being basically a soap opera

The "Dark Souls" of urban fantasy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A lot of people like to say Twin Peaks isn't horrifying but I can't think of much worse than having a fish in the percolator.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Persona 4 has the small town with a hidden world thing going. Fair warning, though, it deals with adolescent psychosexual themes in a Frank and very anime way.

The dungeon delving parts are pretty much aggressive Jungian psychotherapy, which is pretty fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lakitu7 posted:

If you need more low-fi low-bandwidth but less Twin Peaks, Phoenix Wright series could fit the bill but that's Switch not Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/787480/Phoenix_Wright_Ace_Attorney_Trilogy/

?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Oh no, is this seriously happening again

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

My mistake. Thanks!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
...did they end up turning a profit after all the co-op stuff? I thought it was a disaster.

EDIT: oh god the $30 hello neighbor and $20 secret neighbor each sold >200k copies according to steamspy.... what the hell.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 24, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

No Wave posted:

...did they end up turning a profit after all the co-op stuff? I thought it was a disaster.

EDIT: oh god the $30 hello neighbor and $20 secret neighbor each sold >200k copies according to steamspy.... what the hell.

Nothing matches Game Theory advertising for indie games. I'm telling you, make a game, put a bunch of vague lore and hope MatPat catches wind of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Game Theory might be the single most pathetic game-related channel on youtube, which is saying a lot.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I don't get Hello Neighbour. It's apparently this multi-media franchise with books and spinoffs and stuff that's big amongst kids but I don't know where they actually play it. From the metrics I can suss out it's only got between 200 and 500k owners on Steam which isn't bad, but also isn't groundbreaking for a three year old mid-priced game and it has about 170k ratings on the android store and while I don't know from phone games, that's actually fewer than some of it's ripoffs have gotten. For example, Evil Nun : Scary Horror Game Adventure has almost 400,000.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 24, 2020

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

The Sea Will Claim Everything is a pretty great point and click. Its got humor, its weird as hell, and i don't recall having to look up any puzzle solutions.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Braking Gnus posted:

The Sea Will Claim Everything is a pretty great point and click. Its got humor, its weird as hell, and i don't recall having to look up any puzzle solutions.

:yeah: +1 for TSWCE. It goes for a sort of children's children's story book theme and its writing is wholesome while staying interesting throughout. From one of the two writers of The Talos Principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Mordja posted:

I don't get Hello Neighbour. It's apparently this multi-media franchise with books and spinoffs and stuff that's big amongst kids but I don't know where they actually play it. From the metrics I can suss out it's only got between 200 and 500k owners on Steam which isn't bad, but also isn't groundbreaking for a three year old mid-priced game and it has about 170k ratings on the android store and while I don't know from phone games, that's actually fewer than some of it's ripoffs have gotten. For example, Evil Nun : Scary Horror Game Adventure has almost 400,000.

It's super popular with kids on youtube it's basically the same thing as FNAF.
Edit: Also I would look at console and app sales since their main demographic is kids. https://venturebeat.com/2020/03/31/tinybuild-hello-neighbor-indie-game-hits-30-million-downloads/

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 24, 2020