Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

God of Highschool is weird, but the fight scenes have been really fun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Well this is interesting that they're making this one in English from the get go so it seems.

https://youtu.be/vVBAOJIi6Tg

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

say no to western anime knockoffs!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

God of Highschool is weird, but the fight scenes have been really fun so far.

It comes across to me as a stellar adaptation of mediocre source material. Like, the anime team is doing all the heavy lifting here.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

i always forget because its 'the sugoi dekai girl comic' in my brain, i like the manga but dont think i could sit down for 20 minutes of it animated

I've never read the manga and I couldn't sit down for 20 minutes of it animated

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Qwertycoatl posted:

You're missing out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

It's the mid 2000's all over again

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

It comes across to me as a stellar adaptation of mediocre source material. Like, the anime team is doing all the heavy lifting here.

The anime team seems to mostly be the source material creator though

https://twitter.com/evandro_pedro96/status/1285605536189251589?s=21

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

Avatar the Last Airbender is good though?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Darth Walrus posted:

The original artist is exceptionally good at fight scenes so it's more or less the same really.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

what shows are you watching this season

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

what shows are you watching this season

Deca-Dence, God of High School (but it's the sort of thing I tend to drop after ep 5 or so) and the second coming of Appare Ranman

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Mokinokaro posted:

Avatar the Last Airbender is good though?

Second. I only got around to watching it a couple years ago and holy poo poo it blew me away.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

oh railgun is back today apparently

i might just wait until the end at this point though

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
So glad to finally get some new Appare Ranman.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I have to catch up since I stopped watching after the delay was announced.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Man, rental girlfriend is so great.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, rental girlfriend is so great.

It wasn't as funny as last week, but it had some good bits. Mizuhara stepping out to get out of a jam and shove Mami's face in it at the same time was very good.

Kazuya fuckin' sucks. It's a realistic depiction of a pathetic young adult in that he has some self-awareness about it, but it means nothing unless he actually does something to improve himself. Mami is awful too, but at least her ugly side is funny. I really want to know more about what her deal is.

It seems like she's got two Twitter accounts, since the username on her phone in this ep is different from the one that blocked Kazuya. I was wondering whose account was the one in the OP and it looks like that question's been answered.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Kazuya and Mami are just such awful people. And the whole dynamic they have is EXTREMELY realistic.

Kazuya is a pathetic guy desperate for approval by his friends, grandmother, and girlfriend. He's piling lie after lie on top of eachother in order to try and keep everyone liking him.

I'm not sure if Mami is jealous or something else, but she earnestly wants to gently caress up Kazuya's life really badly and is lying to him and everyone else in an attempt to break up the fictional relationship he has with his rental girlfriend.

The creators have done a really excellent job of getting you to really dislike these two.

I'm looking at this show as less of a comedy and more of a drama, so there not being a lot of laughs is fine to me.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Oh yeah, I certainly think they're good characters in that they do a really good job of portraying those types of people and making me want to see where the story goes. The situations are funny in their awkwardness but I definitely feel bad about Chizuru being roped in and dragged deeper due to Kazuya's inability to stop lying.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

hell yeah that boss fight owned

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

sundowner owned and his song is my favorite on the soundtrack but i feel like it was actually the worst fight

not in that it was bad but in that it went by so fast compared to the buildup. i wanted to really be struggling with him

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/oTgjHkMpJpTIfVO/status/1278603895829192704

e: wrong thread. eh whatever.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

Deca-Dence, God of High School (but it's the sort of thing I tend to drop after ep 5 or so) and the second coming of Appare Ranman

oh Appare Ranman sounds cool, how is that?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DisDisDis posted:

oh Appare Ranman sounds cool, how is that?

Been cool so far of the little we have gotten.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

chumbler posted:

I liked the dynamic between the two hero girls in Zvezda, where neither knew the other's identity (I think) but each looked up to the other in the separate aspects of their lives.

I wanted more of the giant statue worldbuilding and some hints of what was up with that doll that was dragged everywhere.

and the robot girl was cute.

in actual current season opinions: deca-dence is a wild ride, and I thought Pipe had the same VA as Chuck from PSG until I looked it up and went :aaaaa:

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 25, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Deca-Dence feels like it has a story it wants to tell and is marathoning through a cour's worth of reveals as fast as it can to get the groundwork in place to actually tell it.

And I absolutely need to see where this ride takes us because every episode there's a new layer peeled back to escalate things :suspense:. I expect we'll see the cyborgs from outside the dome at some point.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Electric Phantasm posted:

The anime team seems to mostly be the source material creator though

https://twitter.com/evandro_pedro96/status/1285605536189251589?s=21

Except the guy in those frames isn't the source material creator. The director and manhwa author are both Koreans with the family name Park, but they're not the same person.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Deca-Dence feels like it has a story it wants to tell and is marathoning through a cour's worth of reveals as fast as it can to get the groundwork in place to actually tell it.

And I absolutely need to see where this ride takes us because every episode there's a new layer peeled back to escalate things :suspense:. I expect we'll see the cyborgs from outside the dome at some point.

Will we, really? I feel like we're building up to a reveal that no, it is a lie, there is no posthuman civilization outside that dome, just server banks in a satellite in geosynch orbit above the dome, the cyborg society is just as endangered as humans and is sustaining itself through harvesting gadolls, the system of gamification is only a means to control and motivate cyborg AIs

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

kirtar posted:

Except the guy in those frames isn't the source material creator. The director and manhwa author are both Koreans with the family name Park, but they're not the same person.

8.4% of the population of South Korea is named Park.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We already have. 'Cyborg' seems to be the term for what the Gears are, suggesting there's some human component in those cute little shells.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

We already have. 'Cyborg' seems to be the term for what the Gears are, suggesting there's some human component in those cute little shells.

I did wonder that for a bit, but the heirarchy's wrong; The humans all upgraded to cyborg bodies, and Solid Ocean is a corporation (implying there are others) that bought the rights to the last of the human race and turned them into a gameified Truman Show/MMO combat game, and the Gears are part of Solid Ocean's system. They're also wholly digital and constantly referred to as system processes owned by the corporation, to the point they have an arbitrary expiration date where they can be replaced with a new version.

edit I love how the first scene in this week's Uzaki-chan is just Ami's dad basically telling her "just come here and watch, trust me :munch:", and devolving into them starting to manipulate Uzaki and Sakurai to get the most entertainment possible. They are the best characters :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 25, 2020

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I have a feeling Deca-Dence is gonna have some huge buttfuck crazy reveal at the end considering the twists we've seen so far could easily quality for "last act twist."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I did wonder that for a bit, but the heirarchy's wrong; The humans all upgraded to cyborg bodies, and Solid Ocean is a corporation (implying there are others) that bought the rights to the last of the human race and turned them into a gameified Truman Show/MMO combat game, and the Gears are part of Solid Ocean's system. They're also wholly digital and constantly referred to as system processes owned by the corporation, to the point they have an arbitrary expiration date where they can be replaced with a new version.

None of that excludes the Gears from being the cyborgs we're told about. It just means that they run on proprietary gear with an expiration date, which is to be expected in a corporate dystopia. There's also a long tradition of Japanese sci-fi having a broad definition of 'cyborg' - see the full-body cyborgs in Masamune Shirow's work, for whom organic components are strictly optional. The 'humans' are the remaining people who haven't had their brains uploaded, and are treated as something between an exploited ethnic minority and a zoo exhibit.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Railgun is back, baby.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

kirtar posted:

God drat it I'm a loving moron

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Korea hasn't quite reached Roman or Carthaginian levels of name scarcity but it's well on its way.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

Korea hasn't quite reached Roman or Carthaginian levels of name scarcity but it's well on its way.

I don't think anywhere can compete with Vietnam, at 39% "Nguyen".

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ibblebibble posted:

Railgun is back, baby.

and what a great episode to restart to lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Dzhay posted:

I don't think anywhere can compete with Vietnam, at 39% "Nguyen".

it's a nguyen-nguyen situation