Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Here's a repost of porcupine romance from 2015:

Such fond memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Critter time again.

Sorry about the blurryness on this, bug friend would not cooperate. As you can tell from the half-raised elytra, it was a bit of a struggle to keep him her (that's a female) from flying off mid-foto.

This is Stictoleptura rubra, the Red-brown Longhorn Beetle. Locally known as the Redneck Bug.

edit: I found a Redneck Bug that was a bit more cooperative, so here are some good shots:

Standard housefly here. It is much smaller than the images may make it look, but it was amazingly cooperative, didn't even so much as twitch. It's a shame that they are so annoying, because they're kind of pretty up-close.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 21, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hey, I have a little question for you good people. Today I found this little Opilionid on my home's outside wall and it's not anything special except for the fact that, uh...

...it seems to have pincers. I have absolutely no idea what the gently caress is up with that, because Harvestmen do not have pincers. They just don't. Can someone explain?

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 21, 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Cardiovorax posted:

Hey, I have a little question for you good people. Today I found this little Opilionid on my home's outside wall and it's not anything special except for the fact that, uh...

...it seems to have pincers. I have absolutely no idea what the gently caress is up with that, because Harvestmen do not have pincers. They just don't. Can someone explain?

Fork-palped Harvestman?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Cardiovorax posted:

Standard housefly here. It is much smaller than the images may make it look, but it was amazingly cooperative, didn't even so much as twitch. It's a shame that they are so annoying, because they're kind of pretty up-close.

That looks a bit like a Sarcophagid (I.e., a flesh fly) but the only ones I know of are enormous compared to houseflies.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

the yeti posted:

That looks a bit like a Sarcophagid (I.e., a flesh fly) but the only ones I know of are enormous compared to houseflies.
Chances are that is one of these, then. We just call them house flies here because what is actually called a "house fly" is not something you ever see, for some reason. They get much bigger than that one, it was unusually small, which is why I mentioned that. Sizes of up to the 22 millimeters that Wikipedia says that Sarcophagids can reach are not unusual.

joat mon posted:

Fork-palped Harvestman?
Seems like it might be that. I've really never seen one before, though. I guess they're new to the region. Supposedly, they only reached as far as Scotland some twenty years ago.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Found this blue garden flatworm (Caenoplana coerulea) I think? While well gardening this morning when I moved a cabinet. Didn't get a great shot cause I wanted to relocate it fast to some leaf litter but it's belly was luminous electric blue, you can see a bit of it near one of the ends. Also note the racing stripe. Hope it lives on to keep terrorising the local snail population.

Also saw a spider that had a abdomen that was a dead ringer for the floret of a local wattle but it scurried out of sight before I could get a picture. It was cool though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found a click beetle inside and went to take it outside and also take a picture, and as soon as I got outside it clicked right the gently caress outta there so all you get is my anecdote and no picture

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Captain Invictus posted:

I found a click beetle inside and went to take it outside and also take a picture, and as soon as I got outside it clicked right the gently caress outta there so all you get is my anecdote and no picture

My dog cornered one and the clicking WORKED. She eats anything small that gets into the house but she was confused by it flipping around long enough for me to rescue it and put it outside.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh yeah even my 18 year old nearly deaf dog was not a fan of the clicking and bouncing around a previous one did when she was playing with it. click beetles rule.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

There are a lot of things I like about having birds nesting in my yard (and vents). Finding dead chicks every year is not one of them.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Found this little Neotibicen hanging out upside down on the sidewalk. I may have grossed out some people sitting nearby by showing curiosity towards the little critter and helping it back up and onto a tree.

Cicadas are so clumsy.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior, Slug Jesus?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a millipede of some sort crawled out of my sink drain right as I was about to wash my hands so I gave him a flying lesson out the window

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I believe those are broadly called greenhouse millipedes

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cute little guy. From the shape of it, I would've expected that to be a centipede, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's "one pair of legs per body segment is a centipede, multiple pairs of legs per body segment is a millipede", isn't it?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, it is, I've just never seen a millipede with such a segmented body and widely spread legs before. Normally, that's pretty characteristic for centipedes, so I learned something new today.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, it is, I've just never seen a millipede with such a segmented body and widely spread legs before. Normally, that's pretty characteristic for centipedes, so I learned something new today.

There are cool black millipedes with yellow spots all over the Pacific northwest. Here's a picture I took with my film camera decades ago:

Whoa, and apparently they defend themselves by secreting cynanide. Badass!

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
My garden seems to attract more bees than butterfly's but I managed to get a few decent pics of some butterfly and moths who paid a visit.

Cabbage white

Comma butterfly

Mint moth

Small brown unidentified moth, was out at dusk and had a white underside

I also found this little caterpillar which I believe is a cabbage white (found it on my arm, so didn't see what plant it came off)

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Commensalist mites on a carabid, or how you get away not paying bus fare.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Sometimes the critters come to you. This lil buddy figured they'd stay the day in my apartment. (It was ejected gently out the window after I took the photo.)
It's.... a norwegian moth of some kind, but I couldn't find a sure ID on the site I looked up. The spots are fairly distinctive. (~3-4cm or so long.)
(South-eastern Norway.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ebola Dog posted:

My garden seems to attract more bees than butterfly's but I managed to get a few decent pics of some butterfly and moths who paid a visit.

Cabbage white

Lavender buddy! :hfive: I thought you were reposting some of my images for a moment, it looked so similar.

SubNat posted:

Sometimes the critters come to you. This lil buddy figured they'd stay the day in my apartment. (It was ejected gently out the window after I took the photo.)
It's.... a norwegian moth of some kind, but I couldn't find a sure ID on the site I looked up. The spots are fairly distinctive. (~3-4cm or so long.)
(South-eastern Norway.)

I think that's Spodoptera exigua, they're a relatively harmless invasive species. They tend to get imported on produce shipments.

VVV Actually, on second thought, it's probably this.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 25, 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SubNat posted:

(South-eastern Norway.)

Maybe a Svensson's Copper Underwing, Amphipyra berbera.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Lavender buddy! :hfive: I thought you were reposting some of my images for a moment, it looked so similar.

I feel like if you want bees and butterfly's in your garden then you should get some lavender, not only do they love it but it also flowers for a long time and smells great! Only thing that annoys me is that the bumble bees are so big and buzzy they flop about every time they land on the lavender making it hard to get a pic!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ebola Dog posted:

I feel like if you want bees and butterfly's in your garden then you should get some lavender, not only do they love it but it also flowers for a long time and smells great! Only thing that annoys me is that the bumble bees are so big and buzzy they flop about every time they land on the lavender making it hard to get a pic!
Absolutely, I've been having the same problem. My lavender bushes are crazy busy, like thirty bumblebees at a time, but it's so hard to get a decent shot of them because they all rush around and every time they land, the entire twig goes bouncing up and down, so you can't even just pick one and hold your camera there while you wait.

Lavender is great and I am planning to plant more of it. It's so relaxing to watch the little guys work.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior, Slug Jesus?

:allears:

This lil dude is living his best slug life.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Falukorv posted:

Commensalist mites on a carabid, or how you get away not paying bus fare.

That's so cool. You go acarids. You go.

(They've arranged themselves in a very aesthetically pleasing manner that I appreciate)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's important to sit in formation when riding the war beetle

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Found this little Neotibicen hanging out upside down on the sidewalk. I may have grossed out some people sitting nearby by showing curiosity towards the little critter and helping it back up and onto a tree.

Cicadas are so clumsy.

I expected a lot more cicada action around me, but it's been surprisingly Lacking so far. A bit disappointing since I love them buzzing and also being goofy/ angrily buzzing when my kitten brings me one as big as his head.

This fellow lives behind my faucet and comes out to hop around and look grumpy when I water stuff. I think he's a Flea Jumping Spider.

This I'm not sure, it doesn't look like the native hoppers but it certainly is one. Wouldn't stop jumping at me!

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Ebola Dog posted:

I also found this little caterpillar which I believe is a cabbage white (found it on my arm, so didn't see what plant it came off)

Figured out what this probably was. Found a more developed one munching on my rose bush and it is clearly some kind of sawfly larvae.

Also found this ladybird larvae

Along with a couple of ladybirds

Red Admiral

Think these two are the same, not sure what, maybe some kind of hoverfly?

Unidentified bee?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think those are both bee mimics. The second one looks pretty much exactly like Myathropa florea.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
You’ve also got the invasive harlequin ladybird pictured.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

My mum has been having her backyard in Wollongong (south of Sydney) visited by a pair of Satin Bowerbirds recently. I think it's probably a juvenile male, since the adult males tend to be more solitary:

Sorry it's not the best picture (it was taken at max zoom on her ancient cameraphone), but I thought it was worth sharing since I've never seen a pair together before.

e: Here is one of her more permanent backyard residents:

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 28, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, those are the ones that make color-themes nests, aren't they? That is pretty neat.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, those are the ones that make color-themes nests, aren't they? That is pretty neat.

Yeah, the males make a sort of a shrine that they decorate with blue objects to impress the ladies. Mature males are a deep, glossy blue-black, and have spectacular blue eyes. They're also quite quirky and fun to watch, although I've only seen them up close a few times.

Another of my mother's backyard friends:

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

I also went on a critter walk with my IR camera a few nights ago and managed to find one of our native tree-dwellers keeping a close eye on me:

Very terrifying!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Impressive orbweaver from last night (Nuctenea umbratica).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

This parking lot attendant wasn't very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I THINK this is a young zebra spider but I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with many horizontal stripes like that on jumping spiders.

A fledgling robin with it's spots still, I think it's finally not following it's parents around.

Sadly I couldn't get a shot of the cardinal family, the young ones look ridiculous shedding with their little mobile mohawks.