Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
kenji is pubby af, no true poster at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Arguing about what is and is not the traditional form of a dish is the food equivalent of the Ship of Theseus, with the added complication that the definition of "ship" and "Theseus" changes every couple of years and nobody living more than a couple miles apart can ever agree on them in the first place.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SubG posted:

Arguing about what is and is not the traditional form of a dish is the food equivalent of the Ship of Theseus, with the added complication that the definition of "ship" and "Theseus" changes every couple of years and nobody living more than a couple miles apart can ever agree on them in the first place.

There was a fun uproar when my local in Chengdu started adding celtuce cubes to the gongbao jiding. Every time we heard another table order it we'd just wait for the argument when the plate showed up.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what is celtuce

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

莴笋

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

oh i like that

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The weird thing to me is that it doesn't seem like there's one actual origin story, there's some debate over how old the dish is, so dying on the beef hill just comes across as weird. And maybe it was, but I'm surprised by the double down.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Carillon posted:

dying on the beef hill

This is amazing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm not too bothered by adding wosun to gongbao jiding because it's so similar to the traditional celery slices.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
drat kenji beefin online

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just ordered a new round bottom wok and will be using it on my gas range. Is there such a thing as a universal wok ring, can i possibly use it without a ring, or what. Tell me what to do. I'm replacing my old flat bottom carbon steel wok whose handle fell off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know if there's a universal, but my stove in China had this little metal thing that went on top of the regular grate and had four upwards projections to hold a round bottom wok. Sort of like this: https://www.amazon.com/antideslizan...94408067&sr=8-4

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know if there's a universal, but my stove in China had this little metal thing that went on top of the regular grate and had four upwards projections to hold a round bottom wok. Sort of like this: https://www.amazon.com/antideslizan...94408067&sr=8-4

Thanks found a cast iron one to fit my cooktop perfectly. This new wok is drat heavy. Replaced a flat bottom Joyce Chen brand that was thin and flimsy. So far so good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I want to know what happened to the enormous quantity of oil in the wok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dse1sQwLHA

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Arglebargle III posted:

dang i used to eat fish done like that sometimes and have never seen how they did it

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Arglebargle III posted:

I laughed when I watched it because in the video, the chinese uncle was like "omg this is so costly" and the chief said "yeah it takes a lot of time to make this dish" but i think the chinese uncle was talking about the oil as the chief dumps the bucket of oil in the wok.

Technically, you could use that oil more than once? WHO KNOWS

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Qi Erwa's Gutter Oil Channel

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I fuckin' love Wang Gang's outdoor kitchen.

Unrelated to that, you can't import 金华火腿 into the US. Are there any places producing it in the US? Most sources just suggest subbing some other dry cure ham like Virginia ham or Westphalian ham. Just wondering if there were non-PDO/DOP/PGI/whatever the gently caress versions made outside of Jinhua.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

SubG posted:

I fuckin' love Wang Gang's outdoor kitchen.

Unrelated to that, you can't import 金华火腿 into the US. Are there any places producing it in the US? Most sources just suggest subbing some other dry cure ham like Virginia ham or Westphalian ham. Just wondering if there were non-PDO/DOP/PGI/whatever the gently caress versions made outside of Jinhua.

I have seen 金华火腿 in 99 ranch and i was so excited, only on closer inspection, I realized it was just Virginia ham (with its original packaging) packed in another layer of plastics with "金华火腿“ printed on it outer packaging.

The main problem is that Virginia ham is smoked (at least from what I've researched on) and the traditional jinhua ham is only dry cured, and rarely smoked. That really makes a difference for the flavor of the ham. If you can find dry cured ham that's not smoked...then it would be a closer replacement than that is commonly suggested which is virginia ham.

Even if someone manages to produce ham exactly the same way they do it in Jinhua, China, they still can't call it that because it's not made in the physical location, which makes it very hard to identify if the ham product is going to be a real dupe or not.

Having moved to the US, Yan Du Xian is now a distant, beautiful dream for me because...i will never be able to get my hands on jinhua ham here unless it's smuggled to me somehow lol. Or maybe one day I can dry cure my own ham in my own kitchen because why not it must be VERY EASY no? OK SO THE DREAM IS DEAD NOW.

Sorry, the short answer is you can try dry cured ham that's not smoked. WHEREVER IT MAY BE FROM.

feizhouxiongdi2 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jul 25, 2020

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 25, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
wish i had a peking duck rn

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just did yesterday and it was good

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
What do I do with fermented red tofu other than char siu?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Big Willy Style posted:

What do I do with fermented red tofu other than char siu?
A lot of different things. You can make this. Stir-fries, especially leafy stir-fries, are great, like this, this and basically anything. It's great in congee. It's good just with plain rice.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

TychoCelchuuu posted:

A lot of different things. You can make this. Stir-fries, especially leafy stir-fries, are great, like this, this and basically anything. It's great in congee. It's good just with plain rice.

Besides all those which are all great uses of the red fermented bean curd..you can always blanch some vegetables, and mix the bean curd with some water to make a thick sauce. Pour the sauce over the vegetables. it won't be very pretty but it will be VERY TASTY

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I got really fresh, quality red and green sichuan peppercorns. Pixian doubianjang too. I feel like I've pretty much nailed mapo tofu after 3 attempts, all made with the red. What should I make and master next that really highlights the green? Or red that isnt mapo tofu.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I want to make a (Chinese) soup.
I want a basic soup I can make every single day and drink with my meals. Maybe I should start buying chicken broth and just experimenting with it. I only cook two things, and I eat them everyday. I'd like to add a 3rd, that 3rd being a nice light soup.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my cantonese coworker makes soup by doing a large dice of some sweet potatoes and boiling them in water with some salt. its easy to make every day op

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

fart simpson posted:

my cantonese coworker makes soup by doing a large dice of some sweet potatoes and boiling them in water with some salt. its easy to make every day op

Wow that sounds real nice! I will start my experimenting with this. Sounds much better than buying broth in a can.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i like this with some ginger

just add dates / sugar to turn it into a dessert soup, it's a cool base for whatever you want to do with it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

excellent bird guy posted:

Wow that sounds real nice! I will start my experimenting with this. Sounds much better than buying broth in a can.

one that i like which is pretty light is tomato egg drop soup. you basically just dice some tomatoes (peeled is better but who cares) and fry them in a pot with a little oil for a bit. then you add water or stock, let it come to a boil. beat an egg and pour it in the boiling water as you stir. salt to taste.

i like to put other stuff in there too, like adding some fresh chiles with the tomatoes for heat, or black pepper, herbs, or whatever. ive used a red thai curry paste too and it works. go hog wild

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

droll posted:

I got really fresh, quality red and green sichuan peppercorns. Pixian doubianjang too. I feel like I've pretty much nailed mapo tofu after 3 attempts, all made with the red. What should I make and master next that really highlights the green? Or red that isnt mapo tofu.

For green sichuan peppercorn (the more numbing kind): Sichuan boiled fish (Shui Zhu Yu, 水煮鱼) - https://thewoksoflife.com/sichuan-boiled-fish-shui-zhu-yu/

Even though this dish looks RED, the color is due to the red peppers used. But it is the green peppercorn that brings this dish it's specific flavor. All ingredients in this dish is easy to get in a non-asian grocery store so it's very accessible (maybe besides the green peppercorns)!

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

excellent bird guy posted:

I want to make a (Chinese) soup.
I want a basic soup I can make every single day and drink with my meals. Maybe I should start buying chicken broth and just experimenting with it. I only cook two things, and I eat them everyday. I'd like to add a 3rd, that 3rd being a nice light soup.

I recommend the seaweed egg drop soup (紫菜蛋花汤). It is simple and has only a few ingredients.

You'll need Dried Seaweed Laver, different from the Japanese style dried seaweed sheets. You can probably only get it from a Chinese market like 99 ranch, but it is shelf stable for a long time so it's easy to store and keep on hand. Besides that, you'll need eggs, green onions and dried shrimp flakes (definitely optional). The soup is much better with chicken soup, but if you have to, you can use water. For condiments, you need salt and sesame oil. If you have white pepper powder on hand, even better but it is also optional.

1. soak the seaweed in room temp water for a few minutes, then take it out and rinse it under water to clean it.
2. Boil the chicken stock / water, add seaweed and dried shrimp (if using). Let it boil for a minute or two.
3. Then stir in a beaten egg when it is boiling so it can form the "egg drop soup" consistency, then green onion. Then sesame oil, white pepper powder and salt to taste.

It will look something like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

gonna eat some chinese food

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

gonna eat some chinese food

What you gettin, OP? My most recent was delivery lanzhou lamian.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpA7rFpNE7Q

It never occurred to me to mix the douchi with the doubanjiang when making (e.g.) mapo tofu so that the beans are easier to chop up. That's a pretty good tip!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

TychoCelchuuu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpA7rFpNE7Q

It never occurred to me to mix the douchi with the doubanjiang when making (e.g.) mapo tofu so that the beans are easier to chop up. That's a pretty good tip!

ty for posting this, that channel is awesome!

p sure im gonna make some of these later this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=085dZmraG4M

anyone know a good web site to buy a smallish chinese log slice cutting board by any chance?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hakimashou posted:

anyone know a good web site to buy a smallish chinese log slice cutting board by any chance?

no

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

hakimashou posted:

https://www.wokshop.com/ has cutting slices. Don’t buy one unless you’re going to be constantly using it (hours a day). It will split on you and you will be sad. It will also mold on you if you’re not constantly using it, so keep that in mind too. Don’t store it in the sun as it will dry out quicker and split and you will be sad.

That said, they are quite nice to use, but I lost mine to splitting from moving and I am sad. I liked the height above the counter top, and it is really pleasing to chop on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Speaking of mapo tofu, is there a thread preferred brand/source of pixian doubanjiang? The stuff I'm using is great, but a bit pricey.