Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Gallatin posted:

I'm looking for a referral, or advice on how to find/select somebody to touch-up some portraits. They are digital and were taken 2-3 years ago.

A relative had senior pictures taken by someone 'with a nice camera' and all they did was give us the huge .JPG files via a Dropbox share.

If it is possible, I'd like to send 4-6 pictures to have them 'touched-up' to look like an actual 'senior picture' instead of just a picture of them standing in the yard.

I'm not really sure how to describe what I'm looking for any better. Is this something that can be done?

I may be able to help, I've helped a goon out with fixing photos before. Will you send one pic to butt the musical at gmail dot com and tell me a little more about what you're hoping to see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Bioshuffle posted:

Back in the day I remember there was a thread where you could trade basic avatar artwork for certificates. Is there anything similar? I'm getting tired of looking at this stupid orange baby. Kudos to the Trump supporter who bought this for me, cause I do admit it's pretty drat irritating to look at him every time I sign on.

You might be able to just ask a mod, lots of free avs are being given out to discourage purchases right now.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

You might be able to just ask a mod, lots of free avs are being given out to discourage purchases right now.

That would be great. Where are they being given out? Can I just ask here?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Those small clear plastic things they keep razors in (Gillete, Schick, etc) are they recyclable?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What is the oldest known secular song still popularly known/sung today in the English language*?

I'm curious because I just watched a video containing Greensleeves, which dates to the late 1500s, but there's probably something older than that.

* I'm sure there are many many songs much older than English ones, but I specified this because I'm curious about an answer I would recognize. If you have those answers though I'd still like to hear them because it's kinda cool!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Bioshuffle posted:

That would be great. Where are they being given out? Can I just ask here?

Go to QCS and ask really nicely and say pretty please and poo poo. Bonus for making it really funny. (They might give you more than just an av. Other posters in the thread might get stuff too. It's really been magical lately and nothing like what one would expect from the QCS we know and lovehate.)

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Cornwind Evil posted:

Those small clear plastic things they keep razors in (Gillete, Schick, etc) are they recyclable?

Check the number on it and compare with your local recycling rules to see if they accept it.

Recycling is kinda over in most parts of the world though, turns out that if you cant get slaves in China to do it for you then it's not really worth the cost, so most of it just ends up in landfills or in the ocean.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cornwind Evil posted:

The little thing that snaps over the head?

Theoretically. They’re polycarbonate.

e: Or do you mean the box that holds several cartridges? Those might be polyethylene.

I wouldn’t put them into the recycling bin because after Operation National Sword, most municipal recyclables get landfilled anyway, and weird refuse of that size is just going to make the recycling stream less economical to sort.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Mak0rz posted:

What is the oldest known secular song still popularly known/sung today in the English language*?

I'm curious because I just watched a video containing Greensleeves, which dates to the late 1500s, but there's probably something older than that.

* I'm sure there are many many songs much older than English ones, but I specified this because I'm curious about an answer I would recognize. If you have those answers though I'd still like to hear them because it's kinda cool!

I think 'Sumer is icumen in' might qualify? It's from the mid 13th century so it's old as balls, but I don't know if it's well known outside of 'Middle English nerds' or 'people who watched The Wicker Man'.

E: this might be up your alley.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 25, 2020

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why is Fantastic Mr. Fox the only Wes Anderson movie I like? I can't even stand the other ones I've seen, but I really enjoy that one.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

hooah posted:

Why is Fantastic Mr. Fox the only Wes Anderson movie I like? I can't even stand the other ones I've seen, but I really enjoy that one.

Seeing animated dolls acting overly precious and twee is more palatable than seeing actual people act the same way?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

hooah posted:

You might also like “Isle of Dogs.”

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Why is it that you can easily create repeating patterns with equilateral triangles, squares, and hexagons, but not pentagons, septagons, or octagons? behold an mspaint diagram explaining my question

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ezzer posted:

Why is it that you can easily create repeating patterns with equilateral triangles, squares, and hexagons, but not pentagons, septagons, or octagons? behold an mspaint diagram explaining my question

Those patterns all seem to repeat to me. :shrug:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Tessellations of squares and regular hexagons reduce to equilateral triangles, and that's not the case for the other polygons. I don't know enough about geometry to explain why triangles work though.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

tuyop posted:

Those patterns all seem to repeat to me. :shrug:

5 has irregularly shaped pentagons, and 7 and 8 have to incorporate other shapes. only 3 4 and 6 can make a grid with identical regular shapes

El Jeffe posted:

Tessellations of squares and regular hexagons reduce to equilateral triangles, and that's not the case for the other polygons. I don't know enough about geometry to explain why triangles work though.

Ah, that's probably the key word I need to look into. thanks

edit: I'm so mad you guys. Look at this. I hate math

Ezzer fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 25, 2020

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I also looked up Tesselation on wikipedia because I like geometry and patterns and enjoyed this image of a pentagonal tiling

On the pentagonal tiling page, there's an animation that shows how the patterns work in groups of six identical rotated shapes:

My question is, what software was used to make this and where can I get it? I'd like to make a pattern and then modify one piece and see that modification mirrored in the other elements.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Ezzer posted:

This is a question well suited to the math questions thread over in SAL.

It's answered in depth on Quora here, but basically it's arithmetic: the angle of a regular polygon only goes into 360 degrees a whole number of times for those shapes.

Fun facts:
In spherical geometry you can tile with regular pentagons: just inflate a D12/dodecahedron shaped balloon, like

In hyperbolic geometry you can tile with regular heptagons, like this:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Are there programs out there for just generating cool looking environments or scenes? Not necessarily a game, though that could work too.

I have a hard time with the desktop wallpapers because every single one you find on the internet is compressed all to poo poo and has color banding/noise all over. I'd like some things I can just take screenshots of.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

greazeball posted:

My question is, what software was used to make this and where can I get it? I'd like to make a pattern and then modify one piece and see that modification mirrored in the other elements.

I don't know what "Another Matt" used to make that animation, and there might be easier-to-use things just for tessellations, but with some work you could do it with the free Geogebra, and there are a bunch of tutorials online of varying quality showing how you might do that.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

dirby posted:

I don't know what "Another Matt" used to make that animation, and there might be easier-to-use things just for tessellations, but with some work you could do it with the free Geogebra, and there are a bunch of tutorials online of varying quality showing how you might do that.

THANK YOU! And thanks to Ezzer and El Jeffe too for asking and answering the question. I guess I was lacking the vocabulary to find what I was looking for before and now I've found someone else's hexagon tesselation setup in Geogebra that I can just pull around (much like the animation I posted) and it's somehow very satisfying already: https://www.geogebra.org/m/CUdKaHeC#material/HQUyq7tJ

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

YggiDee posted:

I think 'Sumer is icumen in' might qualify? It's from the mid 13th century so it's old as balls, but I don't know if it's well known outside of 'Middle English nerds' or 'people who watched The Wicker Man'.

E: this might be up your alley.

Neat, thanks!

Also lol:

quote:

In addition to being a fun song about Summer, the song contains the oldest recorded use of the word “fart.”

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Like ten years ago, I saw a stupid skit on TV from some comedy show. It could've been SNL, could've been a random thing on MTV, no idea. It was a fake tweenage boy band music video (with fake audience reactions), with refrain lyrics of "If your day has gone to heck, you can still borrow my warm turtleneck. 'Til our puberty is through, this I promise you," or something of that sort.

I cannot find this loving thing on the internet for the life of me, and I need to confirm that the thing actually existed and isn't just my brain loving with me. Anyone have a link (or at least remember the damned thing)? Save my sanity, thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why is it so much harder to get ice cream out of a pint container than a half-gallon?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

hooah posted:

Why is it so much harder to get ice cream out of a pint container than a half-gallon?
The ice cream in pints is usually much denser, less air, more like a gelato. The cheaper stuff in a half gallon has a bunch more air mixed in.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I thought there was a "identify this video game" thread in the Games subforum, but I couldn't find it so I'll ask here:

I seem to recall a point-and-click adventure game targeted at kids in the 1990s. You had to solve puzzles as you journeyed to the center of a planet. I definitely recall there being a main hero with a purple shapeshifting cat sidekick as you traveled along. Before each level, it would show the outlined section of the planet's crust as you went deeper.

Does any of this ring a bell?

E: just found it! It was called "Torin's Passage".

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 26, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the game identification thread, for future reference.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Sundae posted:

Like ten years ago, I saw a stupid skit on TV from some comedy show. It could've been SNL, could've been a random thing on MTV, no idea. It was a fake tweenage boy band music video (with fake audience reactions), with refrain lyrics of "If your day has gone to heck, you can still borrow my warm turtleneck. 'Til our puberty is through, this I promise you," or something of that sort.

I cannot find this loving thing on the internet for the life of me, and I need to confirm that the thing actually existed and isn't just my brain loving with me. Anyone have a link (or at least remember the damned thing)? Save my sanity, thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foz9KKqxZ-I

It was MadTV, the superior Saturday night sketch show.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Ancillary Character posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Foz9KKqxZ-I

It was MadTV, the superior Saturday night sketch show.

Lets politely argue this point over PMs. (A ton of talented comedians on madtv, tho)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

:doh: I don't know how I missed this, thanks for that.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

artsy fartsy posted:

I may be able to help, I've helped a goon out with fixing photos before. Will you send one pic to butt the musical at gmail dot com and tell me a little more about what you're hoping to see?

Thanks! I just sent you an email with more information.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Given that this is the second time in three pages this has been asked maybe it should be put in the OP. I know I have seen the question multiple times before that too. Goons being goons will always have some half remembered game that might actually have just been a fever dream.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

https://www.americanfreight.com/br/...=1&uid=63674846 Is this a good deal if the cosmetic damage doesn't bother me that much?

I'm trying to figure out how a dinged up version of the fridge costs as much as a new out of the box one.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bioshuffle posted:

https://www.americanfreight.com/br/...=1&uid=63674846 Is this a good deal if the cosmetic damage doesn't bother me that much?

I'm trying to figure out how a dinged up version of the fridge costs as much as a new out of the box one.
I recently got a very similar model for literally half that price at a Best Buy outlet center. Just had a couple scratches on the side.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My partner has this desk: https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/804372/Brenton-Studio-Limble-46-W-Glass/

She's considering getting a second monitor to sit above her first, which is on the main desk part, but she's concerned about the stress of clamping a monitor mounting arm to the tempered glass.

Is the stress of a monitor arm likely to damage or risk fracturing a glass pane like this? Is there different kind of monitor arm that doesn't require clamping or screwing into a wall (which she doesn't want to do)?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nighthand posted:

She's considering getting a second monitor to sit above her first, which is on the main desk part, but she's concerned about the stress of clamping a monitor mounting arm to the tempered glass.

As she should be. It's going to shatter in short order.

Nighthand posted:

Is there different kind of monitor arm that doesn't require clamping or screwing into a wall (which she doesn't want to do)?

The kind with a floor stand.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Probably have better luck looking for a floor stand VESA tv mount than one that’s specifically designed for monitors.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Are there programs out there for just generating cool looking environments or scenes? Not necessarily a game, though that could work too.

I have a hard time with the desktop wallpapers because every single one you find on the internet is compressed all to poo poo and has color banding/noise all over. I'd like some things I can just take screenshots of.

My dad used to use a much much older version a a program called Terragen, which would generate 3D models of landscapes space that you could take pictures of. The version I remember from him looked like environments you would see in a 2000s era PS1 game, but looking at the new site there have been significant updates.
https://planetside.co.uk/

There is a free version and it looks like it does exactly what you are looking for. ED: Of course there's a comparison on free vs paid https://planetside.co.uk/terragen-product-comparison/

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Has the Tamper-/Violent-monkey video resize/misc script stopped working for anyone else? For some reason mine isn't showing controls on videos by default any more in Firefox.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name               Reduce Video Size (SA)
// @namespace          https://forums.somethingawful.com/
// @description        asdf
// @include            https://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// @grant              GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle("video { max-height: 700px; max-width: 800px;} ");

window.addEventListener("load", function() {
    $("video").attr("controls", "controls");
}, false);

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FreshFeesh posted:

Has the Tamper-/Violent-monkey video resize/misc script stopped working for anyone else? For some reason mine isn't showing controls on videos by default any more in Firefox.

I seem to have picked up a slightly different version, which is still working fine for me. I'm afraid I don't remember who wrote it originally.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name               Ensmallen SA Videos
// @namespace          [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/[/url]
// @description        asdf
// @include            [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// @grant              GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle("video { max-height: 700px; max-width: 800px; } ");
for (var e of document.getElementsByTagName('video')) e.setAttribute('controls', true);