Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Gotta say, I'm liking Crestoria so far. I got Repede in my first 10-pull so the game knows what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I should finish berseria some day, huh

Although since my only beef with the game was being unable to handle the combat system as well as i want to, i doubt resuming a 50 hour save is going to go over very well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm okay with the directions most of Xillia's cast goes, although Elize going back to using Teepo again is kinda lame since the whole point of Xillia's ending was her not needing to use him anymore.
to be fair the difference is he barely talks and when he says something he mostly supports what she says, not the other way around

but i agree that itd be nice if theyd made a new animation set for elize without him

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Isn't Teepo still also one of those magical crystal things than amp up magic power? He's still got combat use to her.

My only real issue with Xillia 2's plot is that Alvin doesn't betray you again in some comical fashion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Isn't Teepo still also one of those magical crystal things than amp up magic power? He's still got combat use to her.

My only real issue with Xillia 2's plot is that Alvin doesn't betray you again in some comical fashion.
her training her magical power to the point she doesnt need him would be a fun character thing, and also character arcs should trump logic at all points imo

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They even did a ton of “what if?” dimensions so they could have had Alvin do that easily

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

For a fanservice sequel, Xillia 2 is such a grim and depressing game. I did wish it went all the way with its use of alternate dimensions because it had some interesting concepts but then kind of half-assed the execution.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only thing i don't like about the alt dimensions thing is how they make you blow up the world where leia and agria are girlfriends

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't like how they condemn multiple realities of billions of people to nonexistence with little more than an 'eh what are you gonna do'.

You basically play as Emet-Selch in FF14 Shaowbringers.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Xillia 2 was written by the same person as Zestiria and Berseria, and he has this thing about human lives as an existential threat to some kind of great cosmic balance, I think.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm okay with the directions most of Xillia's cast goes, although Elize going back to using Teepo again is kinda lame since the whole point of Xillia's ending was her not needing to use him anymore.

Teepo's needed for her to fight properly, But she does not need him in normal life. The only reason he is around is because Elize wanted to show him to some of her friends at school.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wonder if they'd ever get sawako natori to write a tales game again all these years later after drakengard and nier

it'd be funny to contrast a modern natori tales script with tales of destiny 2, now that she's generally a more accomplished writer

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Colonel posted:

the only thing i don't like about the alt dimensions thing is how they make you blow up the world where leia and agria are girlfriends

Yeah, this and some of the other ones you blow up are just sad. Like it's kinda grimdark for the sake of 'yup, you just killed off a bunch of your alternate selves where they were truly happy. Isn't this edgy?'

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
*kills billions of people*

But Elle/Ludger dying to plot holes is the real tragedy people.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Elle sucks. Save your brother instead :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like elle more

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Elle is a good kid and very powerful in post-battle skits.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Xillia 2 actually sucks because Ludger is a silent protagonist for some reason and has special powers that make him very strong and also annoying in multi player scenarios.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He's only silent on new game!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ludger being a silent protagonist is worth it just for the gag at tales fest where they had the audience vote on what ludger's va should say during the live skits

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I need to see this.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Question: How do you feel about Crestoria's original cast (Kanata, Misella, Vicious, Aegis, Yuna, Orwin) and the story/world?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

OneDeadman posted:

Elle is a good kid and very powerful in post-battle skits.

The one thing Xillia 2 has over Berseria i would say. There are some good ones in Bersi but none as good as Leia wacking Milla in the thighs with her staff

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, this and some of the other ones you blow up are just sad. Like it's kinda grimdark for the sake of 'yup, you just killed off a bunch of your alternate selves where they were truly happy. Isn't this edgy?'

And then after blowing up more worlds for minor side quests the party is just :shrug: the rest of the game.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Junpei posted:

Question: How do you feel about Crestoria's original cast (Kanata, Misella, Vicious, Aegis, Yuna, Orwin) and the story/world?

I’ve seen a number of dudes who got like weirdly violently angry at me on the internet over me not liking how busy Velvet’s outfit was be like super viscerally upset about Vicious’s outfit, so tbh he’s leading the pack on my favorites. Also because he does not give a gently caress and is just happy to be shooting things.

Kanata is kind of feeling like the same Lloyd/Sorey/Asbel well-meaning dumbass protagonist type but he’s fine. Misella so far seems a little shallow and her whole thing is “loves Kanata/meat/fire” but hopefully she gets more to her at some point.

Aegis sucks until he joins the party and now I like him a lot just based on his skits.

I like the story overall, it’s pretty grim but it’s nice that Vicious actually kills villains himself instead of letting them gently caress off. He’s a man of action! And guns.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

From what I’ve seen everyone loves Vicious. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone complain about his design tbh.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'll probably do a longer writeup later but my overall thoughts is that the part of Crestoria that wants to be a Tales game is good and the part of Crestoria that wants to be a gacha is a lousy, unfinished mess.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Junpei posted:

I like them and wish the story was done. I wish I would pull SSRs of the ones I'm missing as I do not give a single poo poo about the crossover stuff (or rather the crossover pulls, I like seeing some of the characters reimagined as living in this world, I just want the full party with mystic artes).

Kanata is the well meaning dumbass as HellOnEarth says, but they seem to be using that to show off interesting things and ideas within the world they're building so it doesn't come off as boring as it normally does and the mask kind of falls occasionally when he's around Vicious. Also how many of the Tales characters that fit this archetype murdered the gently caress out of their dad, the child slaver?

I like Misella. She does kind of fall into a few specific one-note bits but I like the idea of her pretending that Kanata is their savior because she adores his unrealistic ideals and is super worried about how the world (and Vicious) is going to corrupt those ideals.

Vicious is cool. I like him being the sort of "evil" mentor to Kanata and just sort of going along with his bullshit. Also appreciate...

HellOnEarth posted:

that Vicious actually kills villains himself instead of letting them gently caress off. He's a man of action! And guns.

...and that everyone else in chapter 4 was also like yeah let's gank that rear end in a top hat, gently caress him

Aegis is kinda like Flynn except if you gave him actual presence and a story to evolve in. I feel like I've seen the archetype of person who was on the inside getting super betrayed so now "who do I trust?" a little too much before but the scope of how he got ratfucked and how he didn't take long to stop being insufferable about it give me hope for him in the future.

Haven't seen enough of Yuna or Orwin to care that much yet.

Once again wish this wasn't a mobile game because "turn on auto and fast forward until the mission is done" isn't particularly compelling gameplay. It is the first time anybody has gotten me to "play" a game like this for longer than an hour though, so kudos to the writer and composer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Misella-Vicious dynamic is great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly i wish crestoria was the plot of arise because its way more interesting than the premise weve heard for arise

tho weve heard so little about arise so entirely possible it winds up more interesting

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I have always been slightly skeeved out by anime and video games that have female characters that either are or are mystically tied to a male character's weapon.

It's almost literal objectification.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i feel like that's common enough regardless of gender that it's never stuck out to me particularly

i mean you can certainly play it really weirdly but not that the concept is rotten at the core.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

I have always been slightly skeeved out by anime and video games that have female characters that either are or are mystically tied to a male character's weapon.

It's almost literal objectification.
its a pretty natural way to get two characters to depend on each other in combat and its not like its exclusive to female characters, yeah.

like in the tales series only one of the swordians is female (and used by a woman), and in tales of innocence spada's a guy. and in a broader sense like, soul eater had both male and female weapons. and the idea of important and powerful objects having spirits or human forms is pretty ingrained into shintoism and is definitely not objectification since its very much neutral there, and I imagine that's where a lot of these ideas come from.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hell, Tales already had Zestiria, and Mikleo basically exists to give Sorey a powered-up fusion form that doesn't bring in an entire separate character but one that wants and cares about all the same things he does. Not to mention Lailah very much is on the wielding end of Sorey's dependence on her both as a team boss and a fire sword.

Also Shionne still has a gun.

e: in absolute seriousness Arise returning to the boy meets girl template did kind of worry me for a bit but even from what we know, Alphen isn't just an ordinary good boy and Shionne isn't just a source of power/motivation, they both have enough background and issues of their own for me to be at least cautiously optimistic that they'll have some kind of actual partnership

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 25, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

and the idea of important and powerful objects having spirits or human forms is pretty ingrained into shintoism and is definitely not objectification since its very much neutral there, and I imagine that's where a lot of these ideas come from.

It's literally de-objectification: it supposes that objects are also people.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Would that mean the only way to objectify is to literally hit someone with another character

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I dunno, the thing that worries me most is that it feels like the ideas are leading to the most obvious and painfully boring hurt/comfort fic ever.

Shionne, angstily: Everyone I touch gets hurt... I must be cold and distant so nobody can get close...
Alphen, coldly: I can't feel pain.

---------

Alphen, after some major plot development: Is this... pain?
Shionne, sadly: Oh no... now we cannot be together again...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Clarste posted:

It's literally de-objectification: it supposes that objects are also people.

Animism?

Also I'm less invested in new Tales games than I am about bringing old games back to modern consoles.

By which I mean I really want Graces f on the Switch/PC.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Xillia 2 gets a pass because Ludger is a blast to play. An overpowered mess, but a fun overpowered mess.

Crestoria (Cresty?) has a neat premise and I want to see where they're going with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish I could stand playing Crestoria for more than 10 minutes but alas gatcha game