Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This is probably the logical extension of CMON promoting that FOMO lifestyle. "I was going to MISS OUT you said I was and now it's in Walmart among the lumpenprole!" And honestly I do think it would be nice if KS backers got their stuff first, but as mentioned by others I don't think CMON's a very good company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think maybe a lot of companies are using Kickstarter even though they don't need to is because KS seems (at least to me) to be a prime place for board game shopping now. Board games also seem to be one of the products with a proven track record, especially compared to video games or furniture or electronics. Even now, if I am board game shopping I will just hop onto KS to see what is coming up. So perhaps CMON doesn't need to use it, but there is a big market there, and I can't blame them for that, per say. Although I really dislike CMON and a lot of their practices.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think maybe a lot of companies are using Kickstarter even though they don't need to is because KS seems (at least to me) to be a prime place for board game shopping now. Board games also seem to be one of the products with a proven track record, especially compared to video games or furniture or electronics. Even now, if I am board game shopping I will just hop onto KS to see what is coming up. So perhaps CMON doesn't need to use it, but there is a big market there, and I can't blame them for that, per say. Although I really dislike CMON and a lot of their practices.

I'm newish to KS but I pretty much check it daily now, and i've already brought things I wouldn't have known about or seen without KS.

Are there any big board game disaster campaigns? If anything happens to Awaken Realms I'll be out...a lot... but my attitude to KS is just that I might get some stuff at some point over the next few years

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think the biggest disasters are board game adjacent, such as board game tables and furniture, which never seem to go nearly as well as planned. For board games themselves that blew up, the "biggest" one I can think of off the top of my head was the campaign to reprint the WWII card game "Up Front". As far as I can remember the project creator ran a big campaign, got lots of positive attention, but then was sued for some sort of copyright infringement and lost all the backers funds to that. I am sure there must be others too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Super Dungeon Explore raised over a million and never delivered, so I'm out of my $200 + shipping. The company's been pretty much done for a few years now.

There were also about 3-4 other projects I went in on for like $30 apiece that ended up collapsing as well.

Board games still seem to have a better track record over video game Kickstarters. I don't touch those at all and just wait for release.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
One of the troubles with KS-only game components is that you’re essentially creating different games. Your KS version comes with these extra mechanics (which I appreciate you don’t have to use, and your game will be markedly different from someone just playing the retail version.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

One of the troubles with KS-only game components is that you’re essentially creating different games. Your KS version comes with these extra mechanics (which I appreciate you don’t have to use, and your game will be markedly different from someone just playing the retail version.

I'm backing Dead Reckoning atm and it's weird.

All the stretch goals are promo cards and mini-expansions. If you back the Legendary pledge you get them all.

My question is... what's the 'true' version of this game? Like if you sat down at a table and pulled this out, what version of this game is the 'correct' version to be playing?
Is it the base game? Or is it the game with all the promotional items added in? The mini-expansion? Is the base game short changing players?

Everything about the campaign seems fine, I don't think there's going to be any issues, and I'm very much looking forward to playing it.
It's just.. what is the intended version to be playing? I think that gets lost occasionally in some games.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JazzFlight posted:

Super Dungeon Explore raised over a million and never delivered, so I'm out of my $200 + shipping. The company's been pretty much done for a few years now.

Ouch, that was Soda Pop Miniatures, right? That's rough. When the Robotech miniatures thing went so extremely south I remember lots of people trying to blame Palladium who do deserve their share, but they also picked like the worst minis company to team up with (which is very on-brand for Palladium).

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think the biggest disasters are board game adjacent, such as board game tables and furniture, which never seem to go nearly as well as planned. For board games themselves that blew up, the "biggest" one I can think of off the top of my head was the campaign to reprint the WWII card game "Up Front". As far as I can remember the project creator ran a big campaign, got lots of positive attention, but then was sued for some sort of copyright infringement and lost all the backers funds to that. I am sure there must be others too.

It wasn't copyright infringement. He was sued because he owed money to a former hire (an artist on a previous game, IIRC?) and hadn't paid it. Which is something he knew full well at the time and should at the very least have warned backers about. Probably should have held off on doing crowdfunding until he'd resolved the issue. But, well...

The only other major boardgame disaster campaign I've personally been involved with was The Doom That Came to Atlantic City, which was a first-time creator basically deciding to spend that money on moving and setting up a publisher instead of making the game. Cryptozoic stepped in and picked the game up, sending copies to all backers owed one (though not any other rewards), but sheesh. I gather there have been issues with Palladium's miniatures projects, Soda Pop/Ninja Division, and a few other such projects also, but I didn't back any of those.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Up Front! was also an already existing game, and the new art had been commissioned and completed IIRC. The Kickstarted version was mostly done - all he needed to do was assemble the pieces but instead he fled to Australia.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think there is an RPG that is the go to case for failed KSs as well. I think it was titled "Old West" or "Far Far West". I think it has come up in this thread before even.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Infinitum posted:

My question is... what's the 'true' version of this game? Like if you sat down at a table and pulled this out, what version of this game is the 'correct' version to be playing?
Is it the base game? Or is it the game with all the promotional items added in? The mini-expansion? Is the base game short changing players?

exactly. people sometimes dismiss concerns about this as FOMO or whatever but realistically there's going to be a version of the game that the designers tested & balanced around, and people reasonably default to assuming that this is whatever the most "complete" version is

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

CODChimera posted:

I'm newish to KS but I pretty much check it daily now, and i've already brought things I wouldn't have known about or seen without KS.

Are there any big board game disaster campaigns? If anything happens to Awaken Realms I'll be out...a lot... but my attitude to KS is just that I might get some stuff at some point over the next few years

Anything to do with Golden Bell Studios is an unmitigated disaster.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The boardgame table kickstarter I backed a year and a half ago completely imploded a couple months ago after it was revealed the US based campaign runner was just a contract employee of his family friend based out of china that ended up running away with like half a mil in funds. No one got anything. Not even the 3rd party accessories that funds were collected for.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Monster Care Squad is getting some mainstream media attention which is good to see. Congratulations again on the success of the project.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Redundant posted:

Monster Care Squad is getting some mainstream media attention which is good to see. Congratulations again on the success of the project.

I've been so busy getting merch set up today I completely missed this. Hell yeah!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Kai Tave posted:

Anything to do with Golden Bell Studios is an unmitigated disaster.

They're banned from KS now, and tried to make their own crowdfunding site. It's not working out.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

The boardgame table kickstarter I backed a year and a half ago completely imploded a couple months ago after it was revealed the US based campaign runner was just a contract employee of his family friend based out of china that ended up running away with like half a mil in funds. No one got anything. Not even the 3rd party accessories that funds were collected for.

Sorry to hear that went bust on you! I went with the "Table of Ultimate Gaming" by Wood Robot, and the delivery was just a huge drat mess, but in the end I received a table and I rather like it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The B!tch Games

quote:

Risks and challenges
The risks lie in our lack of industry experience. Having jumped right into the business post grad, we have had no opportunity to explore and experience the industry as non-consumers at other companies. We will have to work twice as hard to prove our knowledge and understanding of the industry to older, more experienced executives. Additionally, the “drinking board game market” is relatively new so people need to know and trust us. This will make it difficult to break into the market.

"Also cause it's poo poo and people could literally just print this for a few bucks if they wanted to. Please don't"

Just play Rage Cage, Beer Pong, or Goon of Fortune people.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The whole premise of this KS pitch is "people need social activities during quarantining!" which, uh, I'm not sure that's how quarantining works

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not Transformers is up if you're in for minis.

Featuring such classic hits such as:

100% Not Optimus Prime

Definitely Not PredaKing Either

Legally Distinct Starscream

Ironhide & Ratchet's Love Child

(They are dope as poo poo minis tho)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Infinitum posted:

Featuring such classic hits such as:

100% Not Optimus Prime

Definitely Not PredaKing Either

Ironhide & Ratchet's Love Child

(They are dope as poo poo minis tho)
Cool minis, barely-there gameplay? It looks so boring, a 4x4 grid where they're just standing there one per tile on a desert field.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Cool minis, barely-there gameplay? It looks so boring, a 4x4 grid where they're just standing there one per tile on a desert field.

Also the best minis are the optional buys. Eh dunno, i'll follow it along but it does kind of feel like the bar for board games and minis is pretty high especially if you can't buy very many

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Please, that's just Mustadio Bunansa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoEUBpZA5Ho&t=145s

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah I feel if you're going to do something like this you'd want to include a bunch of tiles to help vary terrain so it's more exciting than 'just' a grid

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Infinitum posted:

Yeah I feel if you're going to do something like this you'd want to include a bunch of tiles to help vary terrain so it's more exciting than 'just' a grid
I mean, for instance this other mech game wasn't like a perfect 10, but at least it had some great variety and interesting decisions and tactics:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/24259463/aegis-super-combining-robot-tactics

Just no minis.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Infinitum posted:

You can get the actual bots for $5, though. That's half the price of you just want minis.

https://wizkids.com/transformers-deep-cuts-unpainted-miniatures/

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Got my copy of Sunlands today! Really nice zine, definitely worth more than I paid for it. I need to tip on the next project.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah I underpriced that one.

Good to know it's getting places though!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Did anyone back Frosthaven and get completely and utterly confused about the latest KS update regarding Wave 2 on backerkit?

I though I had confirmed my pledge a while ago :ohdear:

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Did anyone back Frosthaven and get completely and utterly confused about the latest KS update regarding Wave 2 on backerkit?

I though I had confirmed my pledge a while ago :ohdear:

You can check on backerkit but my stuff is all locked in still and I did it back during the wave 1 stuff.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I thought I had confirmed and paid for everything with the Wave 1 backer kit.

Using the old login link seems to show I'm just waiting to ship.

So the Wave 2 stuff is confusing me, and a lot of other backers on KS.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah I also backed for Frosthaven which I thought ships wave 2, but I did it when they were doing the first wave. That last update was way too extra.

They have my money, order, and address. If they gently caress it up, they can fix it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

moths posted:

They have my money, order, and address. If they gently caress it up, they can fix it.

Yeah that's the attitude I think I'm taking with this, cause I sure as hell thought I had confirmed and paid for everything the first time.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Infinitum posted:

Yeah that's the attitude I think I'm taking with this, cause I sure as hell thought I had confirmed and paid for everything the first time.

This is also my point of view. I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with this stuff post-Kickstarter.

They also accidentally emailed a bunch of people (me included) that their stuff was shipping with Wave 1, which was really confusing (but they send out an email saying to ignore the email if you got it and shouldn't have).

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Holy crap Kamigakari delivered something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Spookyelectric posted:

I was also shocked. I'd kinda given it up dead even over folks saying they were re-organizing everything.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Spookyelectric posted:

That means that everything I've ever pledged for with the exception of Up Front! has delivered. God drat.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Spookyelectric posted:

I took the refund and don't regret it. I can just pick up the finished core book on DTRPG if it turns out to actually be halfway decent, and all the stretch goals were paid addons anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Book looks pretty okay, time to wait and see if they actually deliver on the stretch goals.