Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Platystemon posted:

O.K. but why are they carrying water for China’s claim on the SCS?

nine dash line? NO! NINTY DASH LINE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That part in the Bible in the Bible where the Gileadites do a genocide of the Ephraimites except instead of making them say Shibboleth it's map nerds putting a map of South America in front of news people and asking "what continent is this" .

Those that can't answer are of course thrown in the Jordan.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

That part in the Bible in the Bible where the Gileadites do a genocide of the Ephraimites except instead of making them say Shibboleth it's map nerds putting a map of South America in front of news people and asking "what continent is this" .

Those that can't answer are of course thrown in the Jordan.

This but unironically.

Unless it was unironic, in which case just this.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is all from an American perspective.

What is the actual percentage of human beings who need to know about geography in their day to day life? I know that I don't use my knowledge in mine. It's a hobby. It's a hobby I love, and I want more people to know about maps and the world they live in. However, if I was ordering education priorities I'd put world geography kind of low. I'd be more down with high schoolers learning the specifics of how a toilet works. We encounter toilets every day! Many of those high schoolers will own a toilet or toilets at some point in their life! Few will have to know where Paraguay is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They don't need to know where Paraguay is as an isolated bit of trivia. That, in itself, is useless. But it might be interesting, occasionally even useful, to know why Paraguay did x in the 19th century, or why it is inappropriate to call people from Paraguay y, or which languages are spoken there, or how Paraguay relates to the rest of Latin America, etc. And if they know these things, and they're even somewhat familiar with its neighboring countries, then they can easily 'know' where Paraguay is as a simple logical deduction without ever having spent a significant amount of time studying maps. Cartography itself doesn't particularly interest me, it's what maps visually represent in a simplified way. I just cannot grasp not attempting to understand the social world that surrounds us and shapes us all. I couldn't live like that.

But as you say, it's a matter of personality and upbringing. I could easily imagine a biologist saying the same about the natural world, or a physicist about the physical laws that govern our universe, and I don't really know anything about those subjects.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you want to say that people should know about the world around them I want to say that even though I can tell my Mauritius from Saint Helena I've got no idea about basic physics. Even though I'm more likely to drunkenly catapult myself into a hammock than be grilled on the location of the nations of Oceania.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

maybe you'd be interested in the politically loaded physics thread then

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

yikes! posted:

maybe you'd be interested in the politically loaded physics thread then

So many arguments about the fourth law of Thermodynamics

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

They don't need to know where Paraguay is as an isolated bit of trivia. That, in itself, is useless. But it might be interesting, occasionally even useful, to know why Paraguay did x in the 19th century, or why it is inappropriate to call people from Paraguay y, or which languages are spoken there, or how Paraguay relates to the rest of Latin America, etc. And if they know these things, and they're even somewhat familiar with its neighboring countries, then they can easily 'know' where Paraguay is as a simple logical deduction without ever having spent a significant amount of time studying maps. Cartography itself doesn't particularly interest me, it's what maps visually represent in a simplified way. I just cannot grasp not attempting to understand the social world that surrounds us and shapes us all. I couldn't live like that.

But as you say, it's a matter of personality and upbringing. I could easily imagine a biologist saying the same about the natural world, or a physicist about the physical laws that govern our universe, and I don't really know anything about those subjects.
I don't think you need to recognize shapes of countries or continents to engage with any of the things you actually value. You can know the cultures that surround and influence Paraguay without ever thinking about a shape. The shape is almost entirely meaningless.

The person who labeled Hong Kong in Brazil could be an expert on Chinese culture and the unusual relationship between the city and the country and what-have-you, and still not have recognized the shapes.

I don't think "cartography itself" interests any of use here. It's a symbolic way of understanding relationships, and that's why it's interesting. There's got to be more going on for us- this isn't the politically neutral map thread- but at the same time there's something about the way maps communicate things that's compelling.

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the Romans didn't really have maps the way we do. There's some travel distance charts, and some novel attempts at cartography, but by and large everyone who lived in the Roman Empire thought of the world in terms of narrative, rather than charts. So-and-so neighbors whoever, as a phrase, rather than any sort of visual representation of where these groups are. Trying to conceive of the world without thinking of maps is impossible for me, so it's fascinating to imagine a coherent world without them. Like trying to imagine how to think and make sense of the world if you don't have language. Only understanding the world without maps is a thing people have done throughout history, and people at the CNN graphics department evidently still do. (Not that I'm sure they actually have a particularly good grasp of the world at all.)

I don't have a wider point with all this, I just think it's very interesting to think about.

As a side note, your Goonited Nations gang tag... is that the UN flag with the ring from goatse? If so that's... some pretty evocative vexillology.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you want to say that people should know about the world around them I want to say that even though I can tell my Mauritius from Saint Helena I've got no idea about basic physics. Even though I'm more likely to drunkenly catapult myself into a hammock than be grilled on the location of the nations of Oceania.

This map joke did not go unappreciated.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I like to use maps for navigation. Yes I know satnav can do all of that for me but I still prefer to check one ahead of time and see alternatives and such, especially if I'm taking a leisure trip.

There is one type of map I completely am unable to parse intuitively. Astronomical maps like one of the solar system. Those drat planets just won't stay still.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/verbeeld/status/705520214851653632

should have used hex-based visualisation imo

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

double nine posted:

should have used hex-based visualisation imo

Why are all the big Italian cities shrinking?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Weird covid flex but ok

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Eiba posted:

I don't think you need to recognize shapes of countries or continents to engage with any of the things you actually value. You can know the cultures that surround and influence Paraguay without ever thinking about a shape. The shape is almost entirely meaningless.

The person who labeled Hong Kong in Brazil could be an expert on Chinese culture and the unusual relationship between the city and the country and what-have-you, and still not have recognized the shapes.

I don't think "cartography itself" interests any of use here. It's a symbolic way of understanding relationships, and that's why it's interesting. There's got to be more going on for us- this isn't the politically neutral map thread- but at the same time there's something about the way maps communicate things that's compelling.

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the Romans didn't really have maps the way we do. There's some travel distance charts, and some novel attempts at cartography, but by and large everyone who lived in the Roman Empire thought of the world in terms of narrative, rather than charts. So-and-so neighbors whoever, as a phrase, rather than any sort of visual representation of where these groups are. Trying to conceive of the world without thinking of maps is impossible for me, so it's fascinating to imagine a coherent world without them. Like trying to imagine how to think and make sense of the world if you don't have language. Only understanding the world without maps is a thing people have done throughout history, and people at the CNN graphics department evidently still do. (Not that I'm sure they actually have a particularly good grasp of the world at all.)

I don't have a wider point with all this, I just think it's very interesting to think about.

That is true. Obviously I wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy the format of maps themselves on some level. A map, unless it has no divisions or labeling at all, always represents something. In fact, even a completely blank map using a particular projection, covering a particular area, has implications.

quote:

As a side note, your Goonited Nations gang tag... is that the UN flag with the ring from goatse? If so that's... some pretty evocative vexillology.

Yes, I believe so. Its from the Goon Model UN thread in GBS that is currently winding down.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Very low birth and fertility rates, and not enough migration to counterbalance that.

You used to have significant internal south-north migration within Italy, but that has slowed down a lot, and the south itself has a low fertility rate nowadays.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 25, 2020

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

in addition to that, Italy's had a bad case of braindrain over the last 10/20 years of economic stagnation, as young people leave for other countries.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
You don't need to recognise the shape of a cow or a sheep or a chicken to understand they are animals we farm for food, but it would be considered a gap in reasonable general knowledge.

Recognising the shapes of the continents and being aware of basic facts about them is not esoteric map nerd only stuff, and I would suggest that it is exceedingly unlikely to find someone who is interested in East Asian affairs but doesn't know that Hong Kong isn't anywhere near South America.

I think that someone who has been educated in a system with no lack of maps and globes not being able to tell the difference between South America and Asia does correlate quite strongly with not being very interested in either.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

countries where Spanish is the most popular Wikipedia language

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I unironically think city states (or quasi-autonomous polities of some sort) will rear their head this century as large cities grow in influence while nationalism/federalism wanes in some places. Not that nation states well disappear, but that city states will increase in relative importance.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Count Roland posted:

I unironically think city states (or quasi-autonomous polities of some sort) will rear their head this century as large cities grow in influence while nationalism/federalism wanes in some places. Not that nation states well disappear, but that city states will increase in relative importance.

I can see that. The US might be ahead of the curve here. Most of the American states are completely arbitrary rectangles that have no particular sociological, cultural or demographic significance (although they may have acquired some significance since they were drawn up due to their far-reaching powers), and the American left, at least, is currently pivoting towards dismissing the nation-state as a concept altogether. What's left is the 'region', and many American goons do seem to identify with the metro area of the city they live in or close to.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Politically loaded because it includes cities in the Asian part of Turkey but leaves out Belgrade which should be firmly in the > 1 mio club.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They're maps based on Eurostat data. Eurostat is an EU department. Here's a similar map from 2009:

Serbia is not included despite being a candidate member country, for whatever reason. Perhaps they didn't provide any statistics after the LUZ were redefined. Betting that if we got a map today, it wouldn't include Turkey.

e: maybe the UK will also refuse to participate as a brave act of sovereignty

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 25, 2020

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Barbelith posted:

Politically loaded because it includes cities in the Asian part of Turkey but leaves out Belgrade which should be firmly in the > 1 mio club.

And also leaves out the East Slavic countries for some reason.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Serbia is not included despite being a candidate member country, for whatever reason. Perhaps they didn't provide any statistics after the LUZ were redefined. Betting that if we got a map today, it wouldn't include Turkey.

e: maybe the UK will also refuse to participate as a brave act of sovereignty
I suspect Serbia is not in a hurry to share their urban population data with anyone in Europe since the US bombing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Nordic Countries being sneaky there.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I would probably prefer Titty States over City States any day

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kamrat posted:

Oh I didn't know this, oh well, guess this is happening then.

Edit:

Yeah this will happen for sure.

Map

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Ah yes, the famous London in Spain, was kind of hoping there actually was a London in Spain and they where just trolling the team, I mean both France and Serbia has Londons so.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

someone shop a big mustache and pith helmet on Lionel

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

25 largest lakes. RIP Aral Sea

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Great slave lake???

e: oh huh apparently it's named for this indigenous group: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavey

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Koramei posted:

Great slave lake???

e: oh huh apparently it's named for this indigenous group: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavey

Called that, though, because the Cree would take them as slaves, so still...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I didn't know the Americas had their own Slavs, but in reverse.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Baikal is a crazy lake. It gets like 5000 feet deep and it's so far away from other large bodies of water.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Baikal is a crazy lake. It gets like 5000 feet deep and it's so far away from other large bodies of water.

That’s because it’s not just a hole filled with water, it’s a crack in earths crust filled with water.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Including Mannheim and not the East Midlands is slightly weird, but understandable.

Going for Bradford over Leeds, when the latter is much bigger, is very weird.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

TinTower posted:

Including Mannheim and not the East Midlands is slightly weird, but understandable.

Yeah picking Bradford as the leading part of West Yorkshire is really weird.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TinTower posted:

Calling the Ruhr a city state is also kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cat Mattress posted:

Calling the Ruhr a city state is also kind of weird.

I imagine it's because Rhine-Ruhr doesn't have an administrative center, but neither does Ruhr by itself either.

And if you're adding the Ruhr, you might as well add the Randstad too.