Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

harperdc posted:

I think he's talking about buying the gear and then renting it out himself to others, not paying to borrow from a site like LensRentals.
Yeah that's what I meant, lending out my gear would've been more clear I suppose.

red19fire posted:

I’ve read enough horror stories about kitsplit and sharegrid that I wouldn’t trust a complete stranger to rent my gear without 100% collateral. I do rent out my stuff to colleagues who shoot for commercial clients because they pass the cost along and I know they’re not just going to disappear with it, and they have insurance in case it gets destroyed.

DJExile posted:

Oh whoops.

Yeah if you mean that then I sure as hell hope you trust the people you're renting your stuff to.

Also stop worrying about depreciation of camera lenses. They're not investments and this hobby is nothing but the gleeful torching of money. Enjoy what you have, sell things if you want to, but trying to get every dime you put into a lens back out of it is both a fools errand and going to make you hate the hobby really fast.
Hmm that doesn't sound good. I do have a pro photographer buddy but I doubt he'd be interested in paying me to use my stuff.

I'm definitely not intending to build lens equity or anything but just seeing if there's a practical way to recover some of the costs and talk myself into getting more expensive poo poo than I could justify otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I always laugh when I see people trying to sell 7 year old Canon Rebels for $600 while people selling similarly aged 60d/70d or 7d bodies are asking $2-300.

That said, lenses maintain their value surprisingly well assuming they're not replaced with something much better or their system goes out of production.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I always laugh when I see people trying to sell 7 year old Canon Rebels for $600 while people selling similarly aged 60d/70d or 7d bodies are asking $2-300.

That said, lenses maintain their value surprisingly well assuming they're not replaced with something much better or their system goes out of production.

I sold my 60D and 18-135mm for $200 total the other month, it seemed fair enough for how old it is now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just think of buying a lens as long term rental. That 70-200 2.8? It's gonna cost $100 a week to rent. Buy it up front, use it for a year, then sell it? It was $7.70 a week!

Or hang on to it forever because that lens owns. But the point is still valid.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I rent my gear out on occasion, but it’s always business related to people I know who also have rented equipment insurance. I’d be curious how much market there is for just a specific body — usually I’m renting to people because they know I have a lot of gear and need something relatively specialized. Kitsplit or sharegrid could change that, I’m assuming, but I don’t know what potential pitfalls there would be there.

It’s definitely nice to pick up the extra money, but it’s in a business context so the calculus is probably a little different.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

Just think of buying a lens as long term rental. That 70-200 2.8? It's gonna cost $100 a week to rent. Buy it up front, use it for a year, then sell it? It was $7.70 a week!

Or hang on to it forever because that lens owns. But the point is still valid.

Or just buy vintage Leica gear and it will pay you while using it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Or just buy vintage Leica gear and it will pay you while using it.

Yeah, vintage camera gear has done really well. If you bargain hunt in the first place you probably won’t take much of a hit and I’ve got gear that is now worth 2x what I paid for it.

Same goes for even high-quality digital lenses tbh - buy used and let someone else take the first big depreciation and it isn’t going to go down too much. Like maybe 5-10% over the course of 5 years.

Digital bodies and consumer lenses depreciate fast, and “the best” digital lenses do depreciate quick if there is a newer better one released. Stuff that is premium professional lenses but a generation or two behind the latest tend to retain value the best.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Not great for Canon - https://petapixel.com/2020/07/23/ap-photographers-will-only-shoot-sony-from-now-on/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

tbh gently caress canon, they are a classic example of "if you don't disrupt your own product stack then someone else will do it for you". They wanted to sell $100k cine cameras and just sat on their rear end while Sony turned mirrorless into a viable prosumer option, then better than Canon's cameras at manual-focus and cine use-cases, and then just better than their cameras at everything. Sony doesn't give a poo poo, an A7ii is basically what would have been a $50k cine camera 8 years ago but better in most ways, for $999 at costco. It's not their revenue stream they're blowing up.

See also, the same that is Canon's reaction to Magic Lantern and CHDK. Letting hackers run loose on your camera and see what it can do is basically the best thing that could happen, they should have dumped staff onto that and make sure everything was hooked up properly. But it threatened their cine camera business so gently caress em.

Falling behind on sensors, and sensor shake tables, and everything else, was just the icing on the cake.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the question isn't how many Sony bodies they'll send but how many Sony lenses. Looks like there's gonna be a rush on Canon to Sony E adapters.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Speaking of, I've not been keeping up with digital camera gear in the last few years and want to replace and upgrade my ageing 50D. What's good in full frame these days? I am thinking mirrorless so I can adapt my medium format primes and get focus peaking in viewfinder. I'm willing to dump my Canon EF/EF-S lenses for a new system if that's what's good. I'm shooting landscapes while hiking and taking pictures of my dog, and the dog doesn't stay still long enough for manual focus so I'll pick up at least one or two AF lenses. I live in Norway and take pictures outdoors so weatherproofing is a concern - my 50D still works fine on wet snowy hikes and a -20C and that would be nice to match. I was looking at buying a Canon EOS R new, to give you an idea of my budget, but it seemed like the reviewers were a bit unimpressed with it. I'm OK to buy used although the market for it isn't great here.

e: I'm also not in a huge rush so if there's some new hotness coming out in a few months that's worth waiting for, I'll wait.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 25, 2020

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

Speaking of, I've not been keeping up with digital camera gear in the last few years and want to replace and upgrade my ageing 50D. What's good in full frame these days? I am thinking mirrorless so I can adapt my medium format primes and get focus peaking in viewfinder. I'm willing to dump my Canon EF/EF-S lenses for a new system if that's what's good. I'm shooting landscapes while hiking and taking pictures of my dog, and the dog doesn't stay still long enough for manual focus so I'll pick up at least one or two AF lenses. I live in Norway and take pictures outdoors so weatherproofing is a concern - my 50D still works fine on wet snowy hikes and a -20C and that would be nice to match. I was looking at buying a Canon EOS R new, to give you an idea of my budget, but it seemed like the reviewers were a bit unimpressed with it. I'm OK to buy used although the market for it isn't great here.

e: I'm also not in a huge rush so if there's some new hotness coming out in a few months that's worth waiting for, I'll wait.

I took my A7R3 on an 8-day mountaineering expedition seminar in Alaska (camped on a glacier for the entire duration of the trip, large temperature variations and high humidity) and it had zero issues. I didn't even have to change batteries.

My only minor complaint about the camera is that with certain lenses it will introduce a circular color noise (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62760977) which I have only managed to make disappear when I cover the contacts of the lens (even though I was shooting raw, uncompressed, with all lens corrections off, the latest firmware, even when ETTR by 3 stops). To be fair, this issue is only visible in strongly monochromatic settings (such as on a glacier in Alaska), and even then, converting the impacted image to black and white is a solution that makes the problem go away.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I just took the plunge to own some camera gear and felt I did a decent job bringing a kit for short documentaries/event shooting together - until today when I couldn't understand why my sweet (heavy) new Sigma art lens wouldn't change aperture on my GH5. I didn't realise electronic aperture control would be a problem when I thought I got a good deal on an adapter, whoops. Maybe the most Stupid Newbie I've been in a while. I either sell the lens (18-35mm I bought for £400) or find a good deal on a speedbooster with aperture control, a cursory glance from reviewers seem to recommend Viltrox and there's one I can afford on ebay (metabones is way too expensive).

Opinions on cheap speedboosters, or recommendations for a m4/3 lens with decent zoom for event shoots?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BisonDollah posted:

I just took the plunge to own some camera gear and felt I did a decent job bringing a kit for short documentaries/event shooting together - until today when I couldn't understand why my sweet (heavy) new Sigma art lens wouldn't change aperture on my GH5. I didn't realise electronic aperture control would be a problem when I thought I got a good deal on an adapter, whoops. Maybe the most Stupid Newbie I've been in a while. I either sell the lens (18-35mm I bought for £400) or find a good deal on a speedbooster with aperture control, a cursory glance from reviewers seem to recommend Viltrox and there's one I can afford on ebay (metabones is way too expensive).

Opinions on cheap speedboosters, or recommendations for a m4/3 lens with decent zoom for event shoots?

That Sigma (the 18-35mm F/1.8, right?) is meant for APS-C sensors, so putting it on a speedbooster meant to adapt full-frame EF lenses to M43 would likely result in the image circle not completely covering the sensor.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Canon have just announced the R6. It's basically the guts of the 1DX III but in a 'normal style' body, at more or less the same price point at the R (EOS R was $2399 at launch, the R6 will be $2499). It's "only" 20MP (The R is 30) but in just about all respects it's looking like a seriously good camera.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4020779815/the-canon-eos-r6-is-the-r5-for-the-masses

I would definitely put it on the shortlist and wait for the full reviews to come in.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pablo Bluth posted:

Canon have just announced the R6. It's basically the guts of the 1DX III but in a 'normal style' body, at more or less the same price point at the R (EOS R was $2399 at launch, the R6 will be $2499). It's "only" 20MP (The R is 30) but in just about all respects it's looking like a seriously good camera.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/4020779815/the-canon-eos-r6-is-the-r5-for-the-masses

I would definitely put it on the shortlist and wait for the full reviews to come in.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. As well as my own camera I've used a 7D and 6DII a lot for work so if I get to stick with the Canon controls that I'm used to I wouldn't hate it.

theHUNGERian posted:

I took my A7R3 on an 8-day mountaineering expedition seminar in Alaska (camped on a glacier for the entire duration of the trip, large temperature variations and high humidity) and it had zero issues. I didn't even have to change batteries.

My only minor complaint about the camera is that with certain lenses it will introduce a circular color noise (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62760977) which I have only managed to make disappear when I cover the contacts of the lens (even though I was shooting raw, uncompressed, with all lens corrections off, the latest firmware, even when ETTR by 3 stops). To be fair, this issue is only visible in strongly monochromatic settings (such as on a glacier in Alaska), and even then, converting the impacted image to black and white is a solution that makes the problem go away.
I was looking at the A73, it seems like a decent amount of camera for the price - not sure the A7R3's extra pixels are worth the cost for me. The Z6 was my other main contender - I hate shooting with a rear screen so having a nice EVF is important.

I think I need to go to a shop and pick some cameras up once the R6 comes out next month.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

That Sigma (the 18-35mm F/1.8, right?) is meant for APS-C sensors, so putting it on a speedbooster meant to adapt full-frame EF lenses to M43 would likely result in the image circle not completely covering the sensor.

Can you explain what you mean? Is this something most reviewers of a GH5/speedbooster/Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 setup would miss?

Excuse the YouTuber link as easiest one I could find -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJkVAhKv3y4

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I was looking at the A73, it seems like a decent amount of camera for the price - not sure the A7R3's extra pixels are worth the cost for me. The Z6 was my other main contender - I hate shooting with a rear screen so having a nice EVF is important.

The Z5 might be worth a look at too. I was expecting Nikon to remove stabilization to separate it from the Z6/Z7 but they did not. As long as you can live with a more moderate fps it's a pretty good deal.

FWIW, I've owned and shot with A7, A7II, A7RII, and have briefly used A7RIII. I like what people do with the Sony cameras and they are clearly technically capable. And I haven't had one break on me. But still, it doesn't come close to the "this thing just works" feeling I've gotten from my Nikon and Canon gear. Hard to put a finger on exactly what it is, but I think it's the general feel that things are a bit more solid, buttons a little bigger and have a more tactile feel, dials feeling more rugged etc. Basically I would not feel comfortable taking a Sony body out for a hike in crap weather, or on a longer trip as an only camera.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BisonDollah posted:

Can you explain what you mean? Is this something most reviewers of a GH5/speedbooster/Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8 setup would miss?

Excuse the YouTuber link as easiest one I could find -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJkVAhKv3y4

Ok, I had to run through the specs sheet on Metabones site to figure out if I went wrong here. It looks like they have two versions of their Speedbooster for M43, a 0.73x and 0.64x. The 0.71x M43 version will apparently work with both lenses intended for full-frame and APS-C (aka crop) sensors, but if you use the 0.64x with a lens built for APS-C you'd have the issue I spoke of. Looks like the Viltrox is a clone of the 0.71x version so I think you'd be fine. This video with that lens on M43 seems to confirm it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuC_HSekQ4

To go back to your initial question, it looks like speedboosters are apparently only slightly more expensive than the standard adapter with auto-focus/IS/aperture control, so the downsides are just that some people experience sharpness issues with Viltrox with some or all lenses. That said, you said you're using it for video and any sharpness issues will probably be less obvious than with still photos, if they exist at all. If you've watched some footage with that setup on a M43 camera and are happy with it I'd say go for it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I have an X-T2 with camera grip, a 23mm f/2, and a 16-55mm with lens hood. I'm looking for a decent shoulder bag or sling to hold these, plus a 50-140mm f/2.8 or something comparable, which I might get in the next couple years. Are there any brands -- or better yet, specific models -- that I should know to look for or stay away from? My budget is $100 or slightly over, and I'm hoping I can get it from Precision Camera so I can pick it up this week or early next week, with minimal wait or time in the store (what with the COVID). I think I want to stay away from full backpacks as this is mainly for taking on hikes, and I'd like to bring a separate backpack for snacks and such.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
Bought my first DSLR yesterday (Rebel t7 with the kit lens and the 75-300mm lens) and was wondering about extension tubes. I'd definitely like a macro lens at some point for all-important things like capturing pictures of random insects in my garden and toe beans from the cats, but I'm very much in "can't spend more money on new glass for a while" mode.

I was looking at something like this to try out for doing macro shots. Worst case scenario it's only $10 wasted, but does anyone have an opinion on this sort of product?

https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Canon-Extension-Extreme-Close-Ups/dp/B003Y60DZO

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Clayton Bigsby posted:

The Z5 might be worth a look at too. I was expecting Nikon to remove stabilization to separate it from the Z6/Z7 but they did not. As long as you can live with a more moderate fps it's a pretty good deal.

FWIW, I've owned and shot with A7, A7II, A7RII, and have briefly used A7RIII. I like what people do with the Sony cameras and they are clearly technically capable. And I haven't had one break on me. But still, it doesn't come close to the "this thing just works" feeling I've gotten from my Nikon and Canon gear. Hard to put a finger on exactly what it is, but I think it's the general feel that things are a bit more solid, buttons a little bigger and have a more tactile feel, dials feeling more rugged etc. Basically I would not feel comfortable taking a Sony body out for a hike in crap weather, or on a longer trip as an only camera.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

For me the keeper rate is significantly higher with my Sony a7iii than my 5d mk2 and 7d. The eye AF is just so drat good.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ExplodingChef posted:

Bought my first DSLR yesterday (Rebel t7 with the kit lens and the 75-300mm lens) and was wondering about extension tubes. I'd definitely like a macro lens at some point for all-important things like capturing pictures of random insects in my garden and toe beans from the cats, but I'm very much in "can't spend more money on new glass for a while" mode.

I was looking at something like this to try out for doing macro shots. Worst case scenario it's only $10 wasted, but does anyone have an opinion on this sort of product?

https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Canon-Extension-Extreme-Close-Ups/dp/B003Y60DZO

Extension rings work fine. There's a small learning curve, but it's the same way you get macro-level magnification on Hasselblads and plenty of other super-pro setups. Excepting for some corner cases in optical design (and then mostly at the super-serious high end), all a "macro" lens has that a "non-macro" lens doesn't is an extra-long helical coil, so the extension rings let you pre-supply that length. I'm not sure if the T7 keeps you from using non-electronically-coupled lenses, though; you should check. Be prepared to go all-manual on the lens side (the body should still do a lot of compensation for you; don't worry).

The 49mm of extension that lens gives you will get you *really* close to 1/1 at the 55mm end of your kit lens (i.e. "the projection on your sensor is the same size as real life") and quite a bit beyond on the 18mm side, so you'll have more macro range than you can shake a stick at. Just go out early in the morning when the insects are still sluggish, and hope the cats stay still.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
That adapter doesn't have electrical contacts so the camera can't communicate with and control the lens. There will be no autofocus (some lenses may not be able to focus at all) and there will be no aperture control (though you may be able to set the aperture when you take it off the camera with the dof preview button).

Extension tubes work best on wide angle lenses (more dynamic backgrounds, effectively lowers the aperture). You can also get close up filters that work better on telephoto lenses (more working distance, no change in image brightness, extra optics will degrade image quality).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

This set apparently includes the electrical pins that will allow you to auto-focus and control aperture.

https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Metal-Macro-Extension-Colorful/dp/B0179QXC0C/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you want to screw around with macro stuff you can also get bellows units for pretty cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-macro-bellows-Canon-Cameras/dp/B003EDTG8W

I have a M42 one from the 70s and with a 50mm lens I can get better than 5:1 magnification. You'll need to do everything manually of course but there's nothing else that's as cheap and flexible.

e: here you go, pictures with a 50mm lens on my bellows unit at the short and long ends of its range. It's a full-frame camera so I guess closer to 3:1 magnification with that lens. Shorter lenses give more magnification at a given extension, but also need to be physically closer to the subject and have all the regular wide/tele tradeoffs.

Note the extraordinarily tiny depth of field in the close image (that is f/8) --- the blur is because I had the camera at about a 10 degree angle to the ruler. In order to get that image at all I had to put the whole camera on a focusing rail. All sorts of fun new stuff to deal with when you get into macro :wooper:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 29, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I have an X-T2 with camera grip, a 23mm f/2, and a 16-55mm with lens hood. I'm looking for a decent shoulder bag or sling to hold these, plus a 50-140mm f/2.8 or something comparable, which I might get in the next couple years. Are there any brands -- or better yet, specific models -- that I should know to look for or stay away from? My budget is $100 or slightly over, and I'm hoping I can get it from Precision Camera so I can pick it up this week or early next week, with minimal wait or time in the store (what with the COVID). I think I want to stay away from full backpacks as this is mainly for taking on hikes, and I'd like to bring a separate backpack for snacks and such.

Do you really want to carry two bags? I bet you won't if you're hiking. I really like my Tenba, maybe an insert for your existing backpack? [no clue if that one fits what you're imagining, they have multiple sizes].

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

qirex posted:

Do you really want to carry two bags? I bet you won't if you're hiking. I really like my Tenba, maybe an insert for your existing backpack? [no clue if that one fits what you're imagining, they have multiple sizes].

This is good to consider, thanks. In the past I haven't really minded carrying two bags, other than the fact that my current small camera bag totally sucks rear end and doesn't rest against my body well; it bounces around and the weight distribution makes it wobble awkwardly with every step, and it's just slightly too small for my current stuff. My backpack is a relatively small fjallraven thing that I rarely need to access, so having a small-ish shoulder bag that can sit on the front of my torso or at my hip isn't really a problem.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

If you want to screw around with macro stuff you can also get bellows units for pretty cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-macro-bellows-Canon-Cameras/dp/B003EDTG8W

I have a M42 one from the 70s and with a 50mm lens I can get better than 5:1 magnification. You'll need to do everything manually of course but there's nothing else that's as cheap and flexible.

e: here you go, pictures with a 50mm lens on my bellows unit at the short and long ends of its range. It's a full-frame camera so I guess closer to 3:1 magnification with that lens. Shorter lenses give more magnification at a given extension, but also need to be physically closer to the subject and have all the regular wide/tele tradeoffs.

Note the extraordinarily tiny depth of field in the close image (that is f/8) --- the blur is because I had the camera at about a 10 degree angle to the ruler. In order to get that image at all I had to put the whole camera on a focusing rail. All sorts of fun new stuff to deal with when you get into macro :wooper:

That’s the poo poo right there. Bellows are awesome.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’ve got a Minolta bellows III kicking around and an adapter for my a7ii. I really need to get that thing out and have some fun. Need a focus rail though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sagebrush posted:

Oh. Wow. I can't believe I didn't know about these, thanks. I'm surprised they're so inexpensive and will probably invest in one to take some weird shots. The support shafts look like, maybe I shouldn't hook up my big chungus Sigma 150-600 to it. But I am curious what kind of pictures of my cats' noses I can get with my 50mm, or what kind of weird poo poo I could get with say, a fisheye lens.

Also, lmao: On the opposite end of the cost spectrum, there is this directly for the Nikon Z mount, at the cool price of $999.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 30, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Some bellows allow you to do focal plane movements too, like you see on large format cameras.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Munkaboo posted:

For me the keeper rate is significantly higher with my Sony a7iii than my 5d mk2 and 7d. The eye AF is just so drat good.

The Nikon Z series also have eye AF, don't they? Or is it just not very good compared with Sony's?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t think they’re to Sony’s level yet, but also the 5dii’s autofocus wasn’t amazing even when it came out like 12 years ago.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Are there filters I can add to a lens that will soften the bokeh "rings" from a 10-blade aperture enough to make it appear more round?

Also, are there filters that will transfer some of the bokeh ring's intensity to the outer edge of the bokeh ring?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

theHUNGERian posted:

Are there filters I can add to a lens that will soften the bokeh "rings" from a 10-blade aperture enough to make it appear more round?

Also, are there filters that will transfer some of the bokeh ring's intensity to the outer edge of the bokeh ring?

You can put a circular hood on that covers the edges of the lens on you'll get a huge vignette at larger apertures but it makes the bokeh balls look like this.

This is with the hood for my mp-e65 on my Canon 100mm macro, messing around with sunset light filtering through a hedge.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, I am aware of that trick, and it might even work in the long term. I was hoping for one filter that works at multiple apertures, but perhaps that would defy the laws of physics or have other compromises.

What about the second question, modifying the bokeh balls so that there is a solid higher intensity ring out the outer edge?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My 105mm macro lens, a manual-focus Vivitar Series 1 (i.e. before the brand became a synonym for cheap eBay junk) 105/2.8 that can happily do 1:1, no longer focuses at infinity. I used to get some really nice pictures of landscapes, middle-distance birds, etc. but now anything more than 3-4 metres away is just a little bit out of focus.

Does anybody have any ideas what could cause a lens to lose infinity focus? Is there a way to repair this?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ExecuDork posted:

My 105mm macro lens, a manual-focus Vivitar Series 1 (i.e. before the brand became a synonym for cheap eBay junk) 105/2.8 that can happily do 1:1, no longer focuses at infinity. I used to get some really nice pictures of landscapes, middle-distance birds, etc. but now anything more than 3-4 metres away is just a little bit out of focus.

Does anybody have any ideas what could cause a lens to lose infinity focus? Is there a way to repair this?

so, you can't focus on infinity but can focus sharply at any distance before that? The lens just won't turn out to infinity?

or when you go towards infinity suddenly the image just starts to be in and out of focus randomly?

the former could just be your lens infinity stop slipping a little bit for some reason (don't slam it hard into the stops intentionally). This is usually easy and basically just there will be a screw hidden on the inside or outside near the focus ring. Or, maybe a piece of grit somewhere in the helicoids is jamming it up.

The latter is an optical problem with the lens, hopefully it is just a lens group that has slipped loose or something, but it could potentially be bad, and you'd probably want to send it to at least a shadetree mechanic who has worked on lenses before. The worst-case scenario would be something like a group that has come uncemented and at that point it's probably a writeoff.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

so, you can't focus on infinity but can focus sharply at any distance before that? The lens just won't turn out to infinity?
Yup, that's it. It's like I can't turn it the last tiny bit to get to infinity focus. There's no slop or wandering or drift.

Paul MaudDib posted:

could just be your lens infinity stop slipping a little bit for some reason (don't slam it hard into the stops intentionally). This is usually easy and basically just there will be a screw hidden on the inside or outside near the focus ring. Or, maybe a piece of grit somewhere in the helicoids is jamming it up.
The focus action is as smooth and steady as it's always been, and close-up focus is still razor sharp. I can adjust the aperture through the camera as I usually do (the lens is Pentax KA mount - manual focus, aperture adjustable by camera body) and by hand, but when I move the aperture ring by hand it does feel just a little bit gritty. It still moves stop-to-stop well, just with a bit of maybe-that's-grit sound. Moving the aperture blades by the lever is smooth and seems OK.

It makes sense that the infinity stop got banged up, I try not to slam it into the stops but this lens goes with me everywhere (it's my favourite) and inevitably my camera and my lenses get tossed around a bit.

Paul MaudDib posted:

you'd probably want to send it to at least a shadetree mechanic who has worked on lenses before.
Please tell me more about this magical fantastic creature of which you speak. My experiences with lens and camera repair have been 1) a giant failure, in which I recklessly disassembled a similar lens (Vivitar S1 28-105/2.8 macro zoom) and lost several of the tiny balls, springs, and other crucial parts; 2) sending a camera body to a local-ish (hour away) independent camera store, who outsources repairs to a facility in a large city - when he phoned the repair centre to arrange the service he was told my camera was too old and they could not supply parts nor service it at all - this was a Pentax K10D, so about 15 years old. My macro lens is about 35 years old. The times I've poked around with my rudimentary google-fu I've found that NOBODY is willing to touch a 3rd-party lens like my old Vivitar Series 1.