Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

NaanViolence posted:

Vietnam (the best communist country ever) was colonized by China on and off for a thousand years. That doesn't mean they're part of modern China. Same with Xinjiang. It should be independent and have a more respectful name than just 'new frontier.'

This fact also shuts down the argument that Han moving into Xinjiang are 'just moving to a different part of what is rightfully their own country.'

I mean it has been called Xinjiang since the Qing Dynasty...it isn't a PRC thing. As far as Xinjiang being independent, do people there actually want that (that includes Han and Kazakhs)? Does that rule apply to Russians in Crimea?

How is it different from ethnic Russians moving to Soviet Estonia to work in factories or Californians moving to Oregon to buy vegan chickpea ice cream?

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:23 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

we should just call it 疆 now and then Naan will be happy

edit: I might be mixing them up with the person who said because' it's called new frontier it must be a new part of china

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 07:53 on Jul 24, 2020

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just can't express how lucky we are that tino is still here to explain to us what is happening. we really are exceptionally lucky - don't know where we would be without him

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Fuligin posted:

oh i didn't see you'd posted this before. you're still being a dumb pedant though. or do you really not understand what i mean

you think we should immediately ask the national question for Xinjiang

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

My god, that's cancerous. I thought the Rachel Maddow thing was ironic at first, but it's literally Maddow Russiagate level nonsense.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
In retaliation for Houston, the US consulate in Chengdu has been ordered closed.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/07/24/china-orders-us-to-close-consulate-in-chengdu.html

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Some categories are too board if he is actually going to do phd paper on it. Like for example if he wants to study "tankie" imo he should separate people who has ethnic Chinese connection and the ones who come from the soviet affiliation.

Yet he put Martin Jacques into his own category. I haven't seem other people like MJ.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Top City Homo posted:

based on my calipers and phrenology guides, Mongolians are not Chinese

China saying Genghis Khan is Chinese is like claiming the Holy Roman Empire is Italian.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
In order to engage in healthy self criticism, my opinion on china is as follows (insert fart sound here for a truly universal joke, acknowledging the shared humanity lying at the core of all our experiences)

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Benagain posted:

In order to engage in healthy self criticism, my opinion on china is as follows (insert fart sound here for a truly universal joke, acknowledging the shared humanity lying at the core of all our experiences)

tornado drink man has done more to advance human solidarity than the Nobel peace prize

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

drat this sucks lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

good luck on the PhD, NaanViolence!

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

a primate posted:

China saying Genghis Khan is Chinese is like claiming the Holy Roman Empire is Italian.

they are as chinese as the Manchu.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

This article really touched a nerve in here, huh.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

NaanViolence posted:

Vietnam (the best communist country ever) was colonized by China on and off for a thousand years. That doesn't mean they're part of modern China. Same with Xinjiang. It should be independent and have a more respectful name than just 'new frontier.'

lots of Vietnam hasn't been Vietnam for a 1000 years

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You guys have decent ancient indochina history book to recommend? Ancient indochina peninsula history seem to be harder to find than ancient India history. Is there a different term to use other than "Indochina"?

I need something in audiobook or ebook format.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Antonymous posted:

you think we should immediately ask the national question for Xinjiang

What? No, I don't think the uighurs are entitled to an independent state, if that's whats got a bee in your bonnet. Sorry if im snippy im posting in the middle of moving which is perhaps unwise

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It looks like the US managed to get that scientist out of the consulate, she's in custody now.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 23, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Grapplejack posted:

It looks like the US managed to get that scientist out of the consulate, she's in custody now.

how did they “manage” that??

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

sincx posted:

It's now Friday at 4:40 PM in Houston.

When is DHS storming the Chinese Consulate?

edit:

lmao
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/hwi7ub/i_am_sophie_richardson_china_director_at_human/

Even Reddit managed to see through this State Department-backed regime change warrior

Wow, since when was worldnews so woke?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

how did they “manage” that??

No idea but they're reporting that she's in custody. I'd guess they either asked for her and got her when she didn't get any cover from China or she went out for smokes and they grabbed her then

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My theory is Xi commanded her to walk out of the embassy herself and "sacrifice for the motherland" because Xi Dada didn't want to give Trump an excuse to close the San Fran branch and boost Trump's polling number.

Pooh's new Iran mega deal heavily bet on Trump going away.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1286767090796580865

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/lauriechenwords/status/1286836036551634944?s=20

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

wow looks like neither Houston nor Chengdu will reopen any time soon.

OPEN ER UP!!!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
careful, these seeds grow into communism

https://twitter.com/WSDAgov/status/1286793892713570304

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't think they'd even grow if you planted them, washington is too cold and citrus plants are fickle

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Men seen forcing open backdoor of China's Houston consulate after closure

quote:

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A group of men accompanied by a U.S. State Department official were seen forcing open a door at the Chinese consulate in Houston on Friday, shortly after a U.S. government closure order for the mission took effect at 4 p.m. Central Time (2100 GMT).

The group included a man who appeared to be the State Department’s top official for foreign missions, Cliff Seagroves. The group did not respond when asked who they were by reporters and a State Department spokesperson declined to answer questions about Seagroves or the group’s activity at the consulate.

After the men pried open a rear door and went inside, two uniformed members of the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security arrived to guard the door. They did not respond to questions from reporters.

The Chinese embassy in Washington did not respond to a request for comment.

Consulate staff had exited the Houston building shortly after 4 p.m. and left in vehicles before the door was forced open, according to a Reuters witness.

Looks like the State Department is doing their sweep of the consulate.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Men seen forcing open backdoor of China's Houston consulate after closure

Looks like the State Department is doing their sweep of the consulate.

they're gonna find a big cartoonish attache case with the words "CHINA VIRUS (WUHAN)" on the side

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Mar 23, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

lol he's dead

something I always find kind of funny in a morose way is that if you're caught as a spy in the west, you go to prison. If you're caught as a spy anywhere else, they execute you unless they think they can get a trade out of you

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

sincx posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-24/dfat-and-lawyers-have-had-no-contact-with-yang-hengjun/12481706

What. The. Hell.

You were a spy. You defected. Why the gently caress would you go back?

he did defect to Australia. He has a history of bad decisions

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

sincx posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-24/dfat-and-lawyers-have-had-no-contact-with-yang-hengjun/12481706

What. The. Hell.

You were a spy. You defected. Why the gently caress would you go back?

multiple Soviet defectors successfully un-defected back to the USSR over the course of the Cold War, and a few North Korean defectors have attempted to do the same

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mister Bates posted:

multiple Soviet defectors successfully un-defected back to the USSR over the course of the Cold War, and a few North Korean defectors have attempted to do the same

Those were probably double spies to begin with. But the state can totally justify prosecuting you if you didn 't defect on the order of the country.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

good luck on the PhD, NaanViolence!

I'm not ignorant enough to read twitter bullshit. I get so smug when I see these tools who think they can both use twitter and be leftist in any meaningful sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atrocious Joe posted:

lots of Vietnam hasn't been Vietnam for a 1000 years

You're right. The core of Vietnam (the northern part) was still occupied by China for hundreds of years. That doesn't give China any right to claim it as part of their territory. Same with Xinjiang.