Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
if "hooting at libs on twitter" was an effective strategy for the left, bernie sanders would be the dem nominee rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Prince Myshkin posted:

If you think actual capitalists are using FT to make their decisions you have a particularly acute case of Podcast Brain.

it's all fun and games until you mention Red Scare to someone at the Financial Times and then their smile extends beyond their lips and cheeks and an alarming amount of razor-sharp teeth emerge

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Clipperton posted:

if "hooting at libs on twitter" was an effective strategy for the left, bernie sanders would be the dem nominee rn

it's not part of a strategy anymore, I just hate them and want them to be mad

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Prince Myshkin posted:

If you think actual capitalists are using FT to make their decisions you have a particularly acute case of Podcast Brain.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Clipperton posted:

Bernie didn't need to run

I would've done it for free

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Taintrunner posted:

one weird trick to get paid to listen to podcasts!

this guy is a massive goober. he wrote an entire book that was just him complaining about specific people who owned him online. like half the book was dedicated to legendary lunatic shitposter Freddie DeBoer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gh0stpinballa posted:

the gwen snyder cop has a patreon asking for 500 dollars to set up "a wiki" of "right wing symbolism" and 800 dollars to help her "fund the time and equipment" to do a podcast. shes already at 620 dollars per month lol. in absolute awe of this tbh, i cannot fault it.
I can't wait to see the Chapo logo show up on some ADL list.

AnEdgelord posted:

why does Trump look like hes taking a huge dump?
Trump is actually a tall guy, so that chair puts his hips below his knees like he's squatting to flush out some Big Macs.

Hellblazer187 posted:

What even is cancel culture supposed to be? Like whatever it is I'm sure it's not what these dummies think but like... Basically when someone comes out as a racist or a transphobe we just call them an rear end in a top hat and stop buying their work.

I'd just assume Taibbi is off the deep end, but Michael Brooks's sister mentioned on the memorial episode that he hated cancel culture too. Are there any legit examples of canceling overreach?

I read some of Nathan J Robinson's responses to Taibbi and when he spells everything out it seems like very reasonable responses all around.
A big part of what makes the cancel culture discussion so tiresome is that it has no consistent definition. Broadly speaking, there are different categories for public figures and private individuals, and people will freely cite examples from one category to make an argument about the other.

Like, when Nathan J Robinson told Tomi Lahren that cancel culture isn't real, he was plainly talking about right-wing media figures whining about criticism that had no effect on them whatsoever. And of course he got replies from a bunch of people talking about ordinary people who were materially harmed in some way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Inconsistent, vague and deliberately incoherent rhetoric is such the bread and butter of debate club culture they genuinely can't make logically consistent arguments or provide coherent definitions for their key terms when pressed.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Often Abbreviated posted:

Absolutely nobody is in favour of unfettered free speech and taboo subjects have always gotten you hounded out of polite society. As Zizek puts it, I don't want to live in a society where talking heads are "Just raising questions" about the use of punitive rape and monstrous torture practices on the evening news every night, that poo poo should get you blacklisted from everywhere. Hoes are just mad that the line of play has moved over something they don't like - it's no longer taboo to aggressively defend trans rights or be mean to elite journalists.

I thought this was a really good post, thank you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

V. Illych L. posted:

i've genuinely seen people prepared to dismiss a sympathetic politician for saying 'thank you' to a TERF who commisserated that they were suffering racist abuse
I've encountered this kind of thing too, and I'm flabbergasted that some posters genuinely don't understand that most people aren't on Twitter 25 hours a day investigating every single person they interact with, every brand they buy, and every artist whose work they engage with. Like, picking a random example on the shelf next to me, I have no idea if Marjane Satrapi is a TERF and I'm not going to do a search to find out if I can still say nice things about Persepolis.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

cancel culture is also when I queue up too many Dragoons at the Gateway, but I can't click to it fast enough to change my production over to Zealots

edit: to make up for this, I am merging Bari Weiss and Andrew Sullivan into a burning red paragon of spite

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
policing AOC's likes is the highest form of political action

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Victory Position posted:

cancel culture is also when I queue up too many Dragoons at the Gateway, but I can't click to it fast enough to change my production over to Zealots

edit: to make up for this, I am merging Bari Weiss and Andrew Sullivan into a burning red paragon of spite
I don't even understand why fusing Thor and Anubis gives me Krishna, don't make me try to figure out a Don Hughes/Harriet Fraad combo.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Algund Eenboom posted:

The new york times, the amerikkkan der stumer, is not going to have woke gritty opinions because the person in charge of the editorials is different. Its fun to point and laugh at the mild humiliation of james bennet, an evil man who should be thrown in a pit. But the worst part of the Times isn’t even its editorials, it’s the reporting, which is even worse because it purports to be objective. So when the times writes a paragraph about how romani people are swarthy thieves who deserve ethic cleansing, and puts in the reporting section(they actually did this), that’s actually much worse than putting it in the editorials. Firing james bennett is good but does nothing to change this

i agree with this, though?? my whole point was that firing james bennet is good, even if it doesn’t actually cause changes in the nyt. almost everyone involved wasted nothing but their brief time and outrage, and he got humiliated. it’s a perfectly acceptable trade

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Epic High Five posted:

it's not part of a strategy anymore, I just hate them and want them to be mad

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

its not correct lol its just some random garbage amber said

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Political correctness doesn't mean anything anymore, if it ever did, so it has now been rebranded as cancel culture.

Change my mind.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/moonshinemaude/status/1286828290737668096

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Glenn continuing to have a normal one

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i watch cody's podcast. i forget where i heard about it, but it was probably this thread.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bobby Digital posted:

Glenn continuing to have a normal one

You missed the one that started it.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1286770166852997121?s=19
I love it good job.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

yeah, fascism is when people fight and don't use their words

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

cody's showdy can get it. a youtube force for good

also nice to see some lesser figures in the commentariat world pushing back against the free speech whining

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/kath_krueger/status/1286839981848363008?s=20

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I love it good job.

you’d think Glenn would have a working knowledge of fascism but apparently not!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I love it good job.

lmao that Glenn is quoting a literal war profiteer who is trying to out-woke him

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

babypolis posted:

its not correct lol its just some random garbage amber said

I think they're agreeing with me, but yes it is very stupid that Amber said she reads FT and a bunch of people nodded their heads or even bought subscriptions. "The market" is a vehicle for exploitation and extraction of surplus value and a publication that pretends otherwise is valorizing capital.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Glenn never melts down online, he just exists in a permanent state of being Glenn.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

giving tracey his phone back was too nice of them tbqh

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

Glenn never melts down online, he just exists in a permanent state of being Glenn.

yea hes been at this level since the russiagate poo poo kicked off at least

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Prince Myshkin posted:

I think they're agreeing with me, but yes it is very stupid that Amber said she reads FT and a bunch of people nodded their heads or even bought subscriptions. "The market” is a vehicle for exploitation and extraction of surplus value and a publication that pretends otherwise is valorizing capital.

The reason amber reads FT is because it doesn’t pretend, it wears its ideology on its sleeve

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Slanderer posted:

The reason amber reads FT is because it doesn’t pretend, it wears its ideology on its sleeve

ahhh, I thought it was because pink is for girls.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Slanderer posted:

lmao that Glenn is quoting a literal war profiteer who is trying to out-woke him

this is why I was lolling through it. let them fight

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

augh i cant believe the financial times is valorizing capital

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Slanderer posted:

wait what, emily? I am out of the loop

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Slanderer posted:

they do a surprising amount of editorializing that corporations should be nicer, commit less fraud, and care about the impending climate catastrophe. Every few months the editors will put out a piece titled "What if quarterly profits aren't everything?" where they propose some half measure corporate governance reforms. I think their investigative work provokes too many death threats from multinationals for the writing staff to completely dehumanize themselves and embrace capitalism.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Farm Frenzy posted:

yea hes been at this level since the russiagate poo poo kicked off at least

he's always been like this. i used to read his Salon columns in the Bush years. he would add updates to each column at the bottom where he would pull stuff out of the comment thread to argue about. he's an online elemental.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

there already is a thread for discussing how cool glenn is

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

he's always been like this. i used to read his Salon columns in the Bush years. he would add updates to each column at the bottom where he would pull stuff out of the comment thread to argue about. he's an online elemental.

good, that rocks. it's cool when people push back when people talk poo poo online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Watch Felix be right about Biden returning culture to the year 2007
https://twitter.com/AnimeSerbia/status/1286771835951026177?s=20