Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I normally don't like to say things like "Really, judges?" because live vs tape and personal taste and editing and whatnot but...

Really, judges? Priyanka's outfit deserved that much praise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I got my partner into drag race a few months prior to quarantine and it’s been the perfect post-dinner digestif watch. During lockdown we’ve watched on Crave AS1-3 (we’d both already seen 4 due to it being on Netflix), S12, and Celebrity; recently, we watched all of Drag Race Thailand S1 off of the excellent Kudalakorn subs.

Like most of the thread, we’re currently watching both Canada and AS5. It might be our Torontonian bias speaking, but we vastly prefer the former to the latter. Canada so far feels like the peaks of S7-9 of mainline RPDR; of course, it’s great seeing our local queens make good, gratuitous cancon (especially in the lipsyncs), toques & flannel in the workroom, and the utter smokeshow that is Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman, but I genuinely find myself endeared by all of the contestants and their banter and appreciative of what they all bring to the table.

I’m very appreciative of Jimbo’s sense of humour and ability to craft and turn a look, but I often find myself perplexed by her mug. Her equivocation to the judging in E04 was not cute, either. I’m a fan of Scarlett from before the show and I’m pretty confident she’ll go far, likewise for Priyanka (though I wish she would it dial it back a little bit in her talking heads and I was befuddled by how effusive the judges were about her E04 look), but I think that this is Rita Baga’s season to win. She is extremely total package with a great fashion sense, comedy chops, endearing talking heads, and mellifluous (or perhaps sirop d’erable)? québécois accent.

Regarding S1 of Drag Race Thailand: I didn’t care too much for Natalia Pliacam’s performance during the season; I think she should have definitely gone home the first time she lipsynced. I can’t deny that she crushed the finale, though: we were losing it at everything about her performance, but especially whole watching the shirtless guys in stupid hats lifting her while hoverboarding. My partner was joking that she probably also bought off like six of the eleven people on the judging panel. Also props to the Duragon C Mikado looking executive who actually got to announce the winner.

Excited to get into Thailand Season 2. We’ve seen the top 3 live before; they did a free show on a blocked-off street stage on Ryerson campus during Pride last year. Sure, the outcome is a little spoiled, but It’s going to be entertaining no matter what. I hope that the production got a mild glowup and that they lean even more into the unabashed product placement in every episode. I love how they got Thai A-listers as guest judges for almost every episode, as well as a strong smattering of drag queens. I might like the tag-team hosting situation better than Canada’s throuple, but mostly because I truly appreciate Pangina.

oh yeah, I really hope Jujubee wins AS5 just based off of her strength of personality (and that we haven’t had an asian queen win since Raja [and arguably, Kim Chi) but occasionally Juju will still turn a look that reads as cosmetics counter salesperson. They’ll probably give it to Shea and I’ll be whelmed; honestly the writing on mainline and AS has been pretty lovely over the last few seasons. I can’t think of anything as well-written as the apology song/heritage minutes from Canada so far in anything from them, except, of course, the accidental gold like opalens.

looking forward to dead forum dragposting with yall

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Nihonniboku posted:

I grew up in Detroit, and pretty much the only modern rock station was 89x based out of Windsor. I didn't realize for years that by Canadian law, radio stations had to play a certain percentage of Canadian music.

I will still mention a song or band that to me was ubiquitous in my youth, only to find out that they were really only known in Canada and none of my friends know what I'm talking about.

That's where I'm from too, it's fun seeing how much of these references I recognize and often never realized they were Canadian.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

This episode of DRCan has me hosed up. The judges are out here praising Priyanka and calling her a serve? In a half finished outfit with a broken umbrella? That whole metal team looked awful. Don't get me wrong I love Priyanka but come on.

At least the paper team looked cohesive... even if it was costumey. Also Jeffrey was so rude to Jimbo! And BLH calling Jimbo's hair messy in the same runway they're drooling over Priyanka... I felt like I was going crazy honestly.

Ugh watching Tynomi have to cheer Ilona up to lipsync against her... the LSFYL was good though. I guess they sent Tynomi because she was in the bottom again?

oof

Anyway I loved Rita Baga this episode.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I love Stacey Mackenzie, but there judges in CDR are mean. Like meaner than RPDR used ever been. It's a little concerning :/

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I've been watching Legendary lately, and I would say the critiques on that show are about as harsh as the DRCAN judges, so it didn't really phase me. I can see why the judges are so harsh, they really want to push the queens away from their comfort zone and get the best performance possible out of them. I was really surprised how hard they went in on Jimbo and Team, though. I thought it was weird they went so hard on team Paper when I think team Metal had less effort put in. I think Priyanka had the best of her team, but Lemon's felt so..lazy and lacking personality.

I'm so bummed that Tynomi left- but Ilona having a full on break down and going on to win the lip sync? Amazing. I really thought she was going to give up. I alllmost expected the double shantay, but I can see why they don't want to do that season one.

Also? the idea of having team design challenges is cool. It was neat they not only had to present individual looks, but be part of a house. Team Plastic killed it so loving hard.

A God drat Ghost posted:

That's where I'm from too, it's fun seeing how much of these references I recognize and often never realized they were Canadian.

Big same.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

big dyke energy posted:

I've been watching Legendary lately, and I would say the critiques on that show are about as harsh as the DRCAN judges, so it didn't really phase me. I can see why the judges are so harsh, they really want to push the queens away from their comfort zone and get the best performance possible out of them. I was really surprised how hard they went in on Jimbo and Team, though. I thought it was weird they went so hard on team Paper when I think team Metal had less effort put in. I think Priyanka had the best of her team, but Lemon's felt so..lazy and lacking personality.

I'm so bummed that Tynomi left- but Ilona having a full on break down and going on to win the lip sync? Amazing. I really thought she was going to give up. I alllmost expected the double shantay, but I can see why they don't want to do that season one.

Also? the idea of having team design challenges is cool. It was neat they not only had to present individual looks, but be part of a house. Team Plastic killed it so loving hard.

Big same.

Yes I must say CDR has done some fun twists on the challenges I hope the other franchises remember. The glow-up look was really a good idea and team coordinated design challenges also great.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

The Berzerker posted:

Ugh watching Tynomi have to cheer Ilona up to lipsync against her... the LSFYL was good though. I guess they sent Tynomi because she was in the bottom again?

Yeah, 3rd lip sync is almost always kiss of death unless the other person is truly outclassed. I thought Tynomi was better, but Ilona was a defendable choice to stay so Tynomi’s track record eliminates her.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The lack of heating in the building causing mass meltdowns was hilarious. Ilona’s crying over wearing garbage making all the queens crack up was strangely heartwarming.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
Priyanka and Jimbo are great and I can’t wait to see how this season continues

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Shneak posted:

The lack of heating in the building causing mass meltdowns was hilarious. Ilona’s crying over wearing garbage making all the queens crack up was strangely heartwarming.

I would kill to see an actual Untucked for this series, the glimpses we get have been soooo good. Everyone getting to the point where they just started laughing really made me lose it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hopefully it does well enough for Crave to shell out the skrilla for Untucked in future seasons

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

hopefully it does well enough that they can try heating whatever warehouse they film in

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Well deserved win by Shea, but I still wanted Juju to win.

I've long theorized that Ru created All Stars specifically to give Chad Michaels the crown. Maybe we can get a new spin off designed to specifically give Juju a crown?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Would be nice to not just drop the winner unspoiled after a series of posts about a different show that aired yesterday.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Don't enter the thread if the show is airing or has aired.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Just asking for courtesy. I watch the show on streaming and don't even know when it airs on the east coast.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Juju's runway was so good. Just loving amazing.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Cracker looked loving ridiculous in her green bathing suit with cardboard titties next to Juju and Shea's gorgeous outfits.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shea's runway was a meh for me. Gorgeous but not finale material.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Juju tho

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I feel like Cracker had an Asia moment (she Asia'd it) because that glitter powder thing with her titties really did not work.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Cracker had a string hanging off of one titty so I'm guessing they were supposed to be a glitter explosion with a little explosive charge in there somewhere. Instead it was just kind of sad.

I like to think when the studio isn't filming drag race there's still just loose glitter everywhere and everyone else hates it.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

angerbeet posted:

I like to think when the studio isn't filming drag race there's still just loose glitter everywhere and everyone else hates it.

Lol if you think the studio is never not filming drag race

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

The Little Death posted:

I feel like Cracker had an Asia moment (she Asia'd it) because that glitter powder thing with her titties really did not work.

That was my impression as well, though the reveal was less built up and even if accomplished wouldn't have been that impressive.

Shea did the best in the lip sync. Didn't really care for her verse but the outcome was inevitable, and, frankly, I'm ok with that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:(

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Shea definitely won that lip sync. Juju started off strongest though, and I think she could've snatched the crown if she kept up that energy. Lol Cracker

So glad the whole cast got to come back, kiki, perform, AND wear their finale looks. Everyone looked great, but especially Juju and Blair.

Anyway, fourth time's the charm.

Oh, and while Shea won the crown, Juju won Untucked 2 minutes in.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

As mostly underwhelming as this season has been, that might have been the best AS finale. I hope they keep the format of bringing back the whole cast for a substantial reason.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Did they seriously film different Untucked conversations/confessionals where they pretended different queens won?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

did they film three wins? if so, it’s gotta be surreal for Shea to finally get her win while sitting on the couch.

Shea’s runway next to Cracker’s was wildly underwhelming (something I thought I’d never say, and I’m a fan of Cracker’s), but Jujubee’s looks were better each time. AGH.

gandlethorpe posted:

As mostly underwhelming as this season has been, that might have been the best AS finale. I hope they keep the format of bringing back the whole cast for a substantial reason.

Agreed! It was so rad for each of the competitors to get a runway and for the top 3 to have an audience.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Whaat Shea's runway looked fantastic, y'all are nuts. I thought all the top 3 looked incredible for their runway, though, Cracker was seriously next level with that imperial russian princess outfit (and hey, no tights!). I absolutely did not give a poo poo about anything she did in the lip sync, I just kept wanting the camera back on Juju and Shea.

I've wanted to see Make Me Feel as a lip sync song for ages, and Juju and Shea did such a fantastic job with it. I do agree Juju could have won if she had kept up the energy, but Shea, drat.

Also, was this episode the first time waacking's been brought up on Drag Race? It woulda been cool to see a bit more but...oh well...

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They always film all of the finalists winning

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

great finale. Good idea to let the eliminated queens return to kiki and show off a couple more (undoubtedly very expensive) looks. The werkroom banter pre-final was a lot more relaxed with them present.

if the winner wasn’t already a foregone conclusion, the lipsync cinched it; juju and cracker’s runways were great, but shea infused every second of her performance with her personality. much better than cracker’s arbitrary pirouettes and leaky sand titties. having the finale song be janelle monae was unfair to our two runners-up.

re: Drag Race Canada - when the challenge prize for S01E04 was announced as a gift card to Fabricland, my partner and I immediately harmonized the jingle

Fa Bri Cland FABRICLAND

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Yeah they have filmed multiple crownings since season 4. They also film these reactions to the top 3 finding out the actual winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDzEkSPxcsU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

drat. For a hot second, I really thought it was gonna go to Juju; her lipsync start was so fierce! That makes me a little sad, I mean sure, Shea had a rough go of it losing the crown once, but Juju lost it twice and now THREE TIMES. Dang...

This was the season that deserved the double win, not AS4.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

also please give us Grimes / Tegan & Sara / Metric / Feist / Peaches lipsyncs on Canada

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Agree big time, if they were ever going to do a double crowning, it should have been this season. I love both Trinity and Monet as winners, but I would have been happier if one or the other had won.

Actually, I wanted Naomi to win AS4 but whatever.

MizuZero posted:

also please give us Grimes / Tegan & Sara / Metric / Feist / Peaches lipsyncs on Canada

Better get some Celine in there...

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Re: Drag Race Canada

I liked Priyanka's and Lemon's looks, but I did agree with the judges that the looks weren't cohesive and that Lemon gave a weak runway walk. I also agreed that it was Tynomi's time to go. Technically, I thought she should have left last episode (Anastarzia would have killed this challenge), but producers probably wanted to suck the marrow out of the drama she could give in this episode if she predictably failed again.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jul 25, 2020

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I want celine to guest judge an ep so she can excoriate brooke lynn on her awful snatch game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I feel like there was no resolution in the finale with India, how she acted was so gross, her explanation was so half arsed, and yet shea immediately turned her attention onto someone else? Ugh it just annoyed me :rant:

Poor Alexis, her leaving is directly attributable to India and she never really got an apology or even acknowledgement!