Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Owlbear Camus posted:

Believe it or Not they put a Ripley skin pack in Modern Warfare/Warzone.

ha, that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I always liked that the aircraft towing vehicle in the GTA games was called the Ripley.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Believe it or Not they put a Ripley skin pack in Modern Warfare/Warzone.

While I think this owns a lot it’s off just enough where it’s bothering me. It just doesn’t seem quite right and I can’t figure out why.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MarcusSA posted:

While I think this owns a lot it’s off just enough where it’s bothering me. It just doesn’t seem quite right and I can’t figure out why.

Agreed 100%.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I don't think anyone would accuse Sigourney Weaver of being the most effeminate actor, and I don't mean that as a slight in any way because she's a total badass in this series, but goddamn is that an unflattering interpretation.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't think anyone would accuse Sigourney Weaver of being the most effeminate actor, and I don't mean that as a slight in any way because she's a total badass in this series, but goddamn is that an unflattering interpretation.

The skin is an existing "operator" character from launch with Ripley-inspired hair and an outfit.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

AFewBricksShy posted:

That's my favorite part, reminds me of the line from Galaxy Quest.
"Let's get out of here before one of those things kills Guy!"

Haha. Exactly.
Galaxy Quest is a completely underrated movie.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Event Horizon is absolutely sublime for the scene where the Space Captain realizes what kind of film they're in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm5KI8zSeVs

*watches the worst home movie ever*

We're leaving.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Event Horizon is absolutely sublime for the scene where the Space Captain realizes what kind of film they're in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sFd8aWT7Io
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm5KI8zSeVs

This movie is so good. Love that part.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jay_Zombie posted:

Haha. Exactly.
Galaxy Quest is a completely underrated movie.

Is Galaxy Quest really underrated though? I've yet to hear anybody really badmouth it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

This movie is so good. Love that part.

Event Horizon was one of the first movies I ever watched (as a kid) that legitimately scared the gently caress out of me. I don't remember specifically what the aftermath was but I do remember not wanting to watch it ever again for years and years afterwards.

The IT movie gave me nightmares for a week too, and that was the only other horror movie I can recall actually legit being scary as a preteen/teen.

I'd guess I was between 11 and 13 or thereabouts, but shortly after horror movies never had the same effect on me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HiroProtagonist posted:

Event Horizon was one of the first movies I ever watched (as a kid) that legitimately scared the gently caress out of me. I don't remember specifically what the aftermath was but I do remember not wanting to watch it ever again for years and years afterwards.

The IT movie gave me nightmares for a week too, and that was the only other horror movie I can recall actually legit being scary as a preteen/teen.

I'd guess I was between 11 and 13 or thereabouts, but shortly after horror movies never had the same effect on me.

I watched IT with a friend for the first time during the early evening at my house with my parents home. Then my mom said I had to walk my friend home as the sun was going down. I played it cool all the way there and as soon as his front door shut I booked it all the way home.

I have a weird thing with horror movies. A friend showed me the beginning of Nightmare on Elm Street (on Betamax) when I was 4 and I freaked the gently caress out. She was like "hey wanna watch Freddy?!" Sure, Freddy sounds harmless. That night was the first nightmare I ever remember having. I've had sleeping issues ever since. I didn't sleep with my light off until I was 13 years old. I still have hosed up dreams/nightmares every night to the point where it screws up my sleep so bad my doctors were going to put me on a med for PTSD (which I have anyway) that prevents you from dreaming. I didn't know that existed which is funny because they have it in the Nightmare movies as Hypnocil.

Anyway, I got so tired of it by time I was 17 or so. I couldn't watch any straight up horror movies. Action horror was iffy though (I had the Aliens toys before I saw the movie). I got a few friends together and I rented every Nightmare movie and we watched them all back to back. Completely solved my problem and now horror is one of my favorite genres.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

HiroProtagonist posted:

I had basically the same experience. I went through a horror film phase at a similar age, which probably included my first watches of Alien, Predator, Terminator etc. Really, it was actually a friend who was a year older who was keen on them and I kind of got dragged along. Most were fine and it tended to be the more "realistic" ones like Halloween that freaked me out, but Event Horizon is the only one I can remember us not even being able to properly watch because it scared us both so bad. It was a rental so I think we felt obligated to finish it, but we kept having to pause it and literally watch through our fingers.

It's funny to watch clips of it now, because it actually looks pretty corny in very 90s ways. It's amazing how vivid my memories of it are though considering I barely watched it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Is Galaxy Quest really underrated though? I've yet to hear anybody really badmouth it.

It's more like one of those gets shot down as a suggestion by husband or among a group. Agree it's pretty great.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have a weird thing with horror movies. A friend showed me the beginning of Nightmare on Elm Street (on Betamax) when I was 4 and I freaked the gently caress out. She was like "hey wanna watch Freddy?!" Sure, Freddy sounds harmless. That night was the first nightmare I ever remember having. I've had sleeping issues ever since. I didn't sleep with my light off until I was 13 years old. I still have hosed up dreams/nightmares every night to the point where it screws up my sleep so bad my doctors were going to put me on a med for PTSD (which I have anyway) that prevents you from dreaming. I didn't know that existed which is funny because they have it in the Nightmare movies as Hypnocil.

I'm DEAD sure that your head is not any place I'd like to be. :haw:

Voting Floater posted:

I had basically the same experience. I went through a horror film phase at a similar age, which probably included my first watches of Alien, Predator, Terminator etc. Really, it was actually a friend who was a year older who was keen on them and I kind of got dragged along. Most were fine and it tended to be the more "realistic" ones like Halloween that freaked me out, but Event Horizon is the only one I can remember us not even being able to properly watch because it scared us both so bad. It was a rental so I think we felt obligated to finish it, but we kept having to pause it and literally watch through our fingers.

It's funny to watch clips of it now, because it actually looks pretty corny in very 90s ways. It's amazing how vivid my memories of it are though considering I barely watched it.

Literally same, yeah. And I watched Alien, Aliens, Predator, all that too, but while Alien hit some of the same buttons for me, the difference between Aliens, Predator and the similar vein of this was was basically "scary but in the exciting kind of way" whereas Event Horizon, IT, and to a degree Alien was psychological horror along the lines of "WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD :gonk: " that I definitely remember making me feel like curling into an unresponsive ball IRL--which is what a lot of the characters in them ended up doing in one form or another :v:

edit: goddamn it this just reminded me I STILL haven't finished Alien: Isolation because it's too loving stressful

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Just thinkin' 'bout premiers...

https://twitter.com/Ruby_Stevens/status/1283423321388994560

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

HiroProtagonist posted:

edit: goddamn it this just reminded me I STILL haven't finished Alien: Isolation because it's too loving stressful

:same:

major game spoiler:
I hit the hive / facehugger part and it literally took everything I had to get past it, I may have hyperventilated once or twice. Then, after frying the hive, I felt good, really good, almost like I was unstoppable......then I saw them ....1....2.....3..... nope nope nope. Turned it off after that cutscene and never looked back.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HiroProtagonist posted:

I'm DEAD sure that your head is not any place I'd like to be. :haw:

You have no idea dude lol. I highly doubt anyone would want to step foot up in this broken brain. My nightmares are just insane. I dread going to sleep each night because sleeping seems to take forever to get through the night.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Ha! I'm not the only one who needs to take an anxiolytic while playing Aliens games!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

lol Sigourney Weaver is the only person in that picture who could get away with what they're wearing today.

And I'd imagine Bill Paxton because he's just too cool.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Since we’re sharing traumatic childhood movie experiences, mine was Aliens. I must have been about 4 years old and my parents sent me down to the playroom in the basement one evening while they watched a “grown up movie”—with specific instructions that I not come upstairs until they came and got me for bedtime.

Of course I didn’t listen, and I walked up the stairs, cracked the door enough to see the TV, and caught the scene of Ripley’s nightmare with the chest burster. Like right where she’s pulling up the gown to show it coming out of her chest. Son of a bitch.

I don’t think I ever watched the rest of the movie. Years later, I stayed over at a friends house—must have been 7 or 8, and they had “don’t give a gently caress” parents. They put on Aliens and every motherfucker in that house fell asleep in about 20 mins but me. I’ve got some ratty old half-rear end blanket on the floor of their dirty rear end living room, the AC is cranked to the max, and I’m there shivering on the floor, glued to the TV and unable to look away. I can’t sleep. I can’t find the remote to turn it off. I’ve never been able to sleep if there’s a tv on, I can’t tune it out. I watch the whole thing and when the screen turns to static I fall asleep to the most vivid nightmares of my life.

This is the reason I love Aliens to this day.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

The Zombie Guy posted:

Just watched The Predator (2018). It had its funny moments (Keegan Michael-Key and Thomas Jane were the best part), but it was pretty Meh, given the source material that they had to work with.

What's the consensus on Predators? Any better?

In the theater, during the scene towards the end when the ship is taking off and the guy's legs get cut off by the force field, my brother shouts "Lieutenant Dan!" Other than that, a pretty forgettable movie.

I liked Predators more.

Has there been any mention of the sequels other than Scott saying he has scripts?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I don't support the death penalty but theatre comedians sometimes make me reconsider.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I don't support the death penalty but theatre comedians sometimes make me reconsider.

I dunno. When I saw Final Destination in the theater, toward the end when the girl gets hit by the bus, some black dude at the back yelled out in complete earnest surprise “oh poo poo! Bitch got hit by a bus!” The theater had been dead silent the entire movie up until that point, and then uproarious laughter. Perfect theater experience 11/10.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My theater comedian memory was watching Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and the end where Raiden puts everything back to what it was in the beginning pissed off a viewer so much he cried out "gently caress THAT poo poo!"

Brother, we were all thinking that.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Thinking about Bill Paxton (the actor)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

wuffles posted:

I dunno. When I saw Final Destination in the theater, toward the end when the girl gets hit by the bus, some black dude at the back yelled out in complete earnest surprise “oh poo poo! Bitch got hit by a bus!” The theater had been dead silent the entire movie up until that point, and then uproarious laughter. Perfect theater experience 11/10.
You know how AI ends perfectly and then inexplicably continues for 15 minutes? When the voiceover started there was dead silence until someone in the theatre just blurted out "what the gently caress?" which triggered a bunch of laughs and confused mumblings. Later a friend was telling me about how they went to see AI and when the voiceover started there was dead silence until someone in the theatre just blurted out "what the gently caress?" which triggered a bunch of laughs and confused mumblings.

We did not go to the same showing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I kind of liked the ending of A.I.: Artificial Intelligence. Finally had that weird Kubrick feel of :wtc: that was hinted at if you knew that he was initially was interested in working on it. Then it went full Spielberg with the saccharine tone.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I appreciate lots of people love when others yell poo poo out, it usually gets laughs, but I sure ain't one.

Isolation is 80% off on ps4 right now if anyone's been considering taking the plunge, can't wait to get home :getin:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol that dress Newt is wearing looks like what the twins wore in the shining

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

probably posted before, oh well

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

probably posted before, oh well

I believe the correct answer is B.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jay_Zombie posted:

I believe the correct answer is B.

:hmmyes:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Alien: Isolation for PS4 is 80% off right now. It's the bundle with all the DLC. If you haven't played it, then quit your grinnin' and drop your linen.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Fantastic casting on both counts. The authenticity and ferocity (the latter being especially true in Ermey's case, Jesus Christ) is simply something that cannot be replicated by any level of acting.

It's all academic now but I'd have loved a version of the move where Apone lives longer/survives. How can you not love a character who immediately munches on a cigar within five loving seconds of waking from hypersleep?!

The wake-up scene was great since it had all the small character details like Apone grabbing the cigar and then later on Hudson gets roasted by Vasquez / talking trash.

I like how it's a similar strategy Alien used to define the characters and their personality elements before all hell breaks lose for the "creature feature" part of the film. Like how you can tell the they don't take Gorman seriously due his lack of actual combat experiences and have fun trying to ruin his serious briefing to the drop ship team.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm definitely thinking about Aliens

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Android Apocalypse posted:

I kind of liked the ending of A.I.: Artificial Intelligence. Finally had that weird Kubrick feel of :wtc: that was hinted at if you knew that he was initially was interested in working on it. Then it went full Spielberg with the saccharine tone.

AI pisses me off so much. Spielberg did so much, so very visible, damage to Kubrick's vision it's maddening. I am deeply indebted to the friend who showed it to me for letting me pause it every 15 minutes or so to yell at the director.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm definitely thinking about Aliens

:hmmyes:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

mllaneza posted:

AI pisses me off so much. Spielberg did so much, so very visible, damage to Kubrick's vision it's maddening. I am deeply indebted to the friend who showed it to me for letting me pause it every 15 minutes or so to yell at the director.

Totally understandable. Spielberg's saccharine tone detracted from what could'e been some creepy-rear end poo poo like how we treat robots.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
:siren: this may be a terrible idea but who might be up for AVP (2010) tmrw night?

I'd like to get further in survival than I did in LAN parties when I was in my 20s, but this isn't to say we're bad (haha we're bad)

edit: I, personally, am not bad. fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Zombie Guy posted:

Alien: Isolation for PS4 is 80% off right now. It's the bundle with all the DLC. If you haven't played it, then quit your grinnin' and drop your linen.

does it also come with a Costco-sized box of anti-anxiety meds