Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sockser posted:

I’ve seen both (all three) of those and loved them, loved Red Hood, Babel was okay, All Star Superman was fun, First Flight was decent, the Dark Knight anthology thing was good iirc, I do love the Fleisher cartoons but haven’t seen them in a solid decade so maybe I’ll take your advice and rewatch those

Are any of the recent animated films worth watching? I couldn’t finish Batman vs Robin, I just didn’t care enough after 20 minutes

I liked Bad Blood well enough, the brief moments we got of Dickbats in it were great. The Constantine cartoon is decent if it's on there, if there's two versions watch the less explicit one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sockser posted:

I’ve seen both (all three) of those and loved them, loved Red Hood, Babel was okay, All Star Superman was fun, First Flight was decent, the Dark Knight anthology thing was good iirc, I do love the Fleisher cartoons but haven’t seen them in a solid decade so maybe I’ll take your advice and rewatch those

Are any of the recent animated films worth watching? I couldn’t finish Batman vs Robin, I just didn’t care enough after 20 minutes

Batman: Bad Blood wasn't too bad. The first Justice League Dark movie was good, don't watch the last one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Batman: Bad Blood wasn't too bad. The first Justice League Dark movie was good, don't watch the last one.

i couldn't get through the first JLD but kinda liked the most recent one. It was stupidly violent and had a misogynistic streak but was still somehow more watchable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There’s something really upsetting about that show that I can’t put into words. Usually, there’s a sense that superheroes in kids’ cartoons have some foundation of safety they can work from, like they go out and fight the villains but can count on being safe in Wayne Manor or the bat cave or what have you. In Batman Beyond, the characters always seemed so vulnerable, like their villains were all-powerful and could just have them committed or kicked out of school or destroyed in any number of ways, and they were basically helpless to do anything about it. I remember feeling uneasy the whole time watching as a kid, as the show was about a child and an old man who were vulnerable at all times and had no protection.

Maybe some of it is the amazing amount of body horror in the show, which kind of just extends to the honesty with which the show has about how when you get old, you just can’t do the things you used to do.

An interesting aspect of the dynamic between Bruce and Terry is that Terry's at that age where he has very grown-up problems but he has no power, he's not treated as an adult by anyone, and that's part of what makes the stories scarier, because he's just some punk kid, he doesn't have the public trust and influence of Bruce Wayne to fall back on, no one will believe him if he goes to the authorities with the crazy poo poo he deals with. And Bruce himself is viewed as a discredited half-mad hermit, and he literally physically can't do what he wants to do. So both of them are very constrained by their situations when it comes to dealing with things through any avenue that isn't Batman.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sockser posted:

Superman vs The Elite is a fun little romp, and while it's nowhere near as good as the source material(minus one or two little segments) the movie for Justice League: The New Frontier is still quite excellent

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sockser posted:

I'd recommend against the two Teen Titan movies. The first one adapts the Terror of Trigon (the first Titans story anybody knows) and it's... aggressively mediocre but I think has the most fun spots of any of these DC films which usually feel pretty joyless. The second is Judas Contract (the other Titans story anybody knows) just proves you really shouldn't just spring that story anywhere and it needs some set up. It's kind of DC's Dark Phoenix.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

just wanna pop in to say everyone remembers and loves 90s Apocalypse and that is fair. But 90s Kingpin was great and I wish more people remembered him, too. He was one of the many reasons I loved Spiderman The Animated Series. The other reason is the series-long mythos and protracted story arcs discussed last page. It did it in a much more organic way than XTAS.

But my favorite animated comic book series will probably always be X-Men Evolution. Not the best but I love the X-Men and Evo did them justice. Made Rogue my favorite.

I'm a Marvel guy, I guess.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Is Teen Titans Go To The Movies on DCU? Because as far as I’m concerned that’s a top five DC film and if it’s there you should totally check it out.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Vandar posted:

Is Teen Titans Go To The Movies on DCU? Because as far as I’m concerned that’s a top five DC film and if it’s there you should totally check it out.

Neither of the TTG movies appear to be on DCU, but I agree, they're both fantastic for young and old fans.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Despite having pretty much every other animated series DCU doesn't have TTG (it does have the original Teen Titans cartoon.)

Also DCU has the CG Green Lantern series which was definitely better than it could have been.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Despite having pretty much every other animated series DCU doesn't have TTG (it does have the original Teen Titans cartoon.)

Also DCU has the CG Green Lantern series which was definitely better than it could have been.

That was super solid. They even gave Hal some definitive characterization other than 'brave, I guess.' I mean, they made him Captain Kirk but that's fine.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Space Fish posted:

Neither of the TTG movies appear to be on DCU, but I agree, they're both fantastic for young and old fans.

It was my favorite superhero movie of that year...

...until Into the Spider-Verse came out and blew it the gently caress out. But that's unfair to TTG.

The follow up movie, TTGvsTT isn't at teh same level as Go To The Movies, but it's still pretty good.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

They’re TV movies but both of the Teen Titans Go ‘Night Begins to Shine’ specials are really something awesome.

TTG rules is what I’m trying to say, basically.

MorningMoon posted:

The follow up movie, TTGvsTT isn't at teh same level as Go To The Movies, but it's still pretty good.

I watched that last night and enjoyed it a bunch. I wasn’t expecting a lot of the emotional beats for Raven and came out pleasantly surprised.

And then I learned it’s apparently the lowest grossing animated DC film. Shame, that is.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I wanna say.. I just watched Toy Story 4.

It's very weird to hear Dr. Psycho's voice as a lovable toy created by a kinder gardener. It's the EXACT SAME VOICE.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I forget if I posted about this before, but a couple months ago it was revealed that The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers(one of the most iconic Underground Comix of the 60's and 70's) was getting a cartoon and they released a "minisode" to promote it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB20_GvGXxY

that one was kinda bleh, they released a new one today that while a little cliche in it's parody is definitely a noticeable improvement over the first;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FSLv3V2RzI

hopefully when the full series premieres in the fall(assuming it doesn't get delayed that is) it'll be even better, cause the original comics for the Freak Brothers are amazing and it'd be a shame for their first foray into a non comics medium to end up falling flat(honestly it kinda amazes me that it took this long)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think the animated New Frontier is my favorite DC movie of any kind. But I'm a big fan of Martian Manhunter.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 15, 2020

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Justice League: Gods and Monsters was pretty enjoyable.

Edgy concept, yes, but in practice not as much as I thought it would be and I still dug the characters by the end.

Also, I was legit surprised by one or two of the twists. Enough to say "well done" when the reveal came up.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Gods and Monsters was neat and I’m surprised it never got any kind of a follow up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/usagi-jojimbo-animated-series-james-wan-netflix-1234707176/

I like how every single headline for this announcement is misleading because when you read the article you realize this isn't an adaptation of the comics it's actually Stan Sakai finally getting to make his far future usagi yojimbo cartoon

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97akfYZv28I

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

drrockso20 posted:

hopefully when the full series premieres in the fall(assuming it doesn't get delayed that is) it'll be even better, cause the original comics for the Freak Brothers are amazing and it'd be a shame for their first foray into a non comics medium to end up falling flat(honestly it kinda amazes me that it took this long)

That's definitely better than the Trump one. They're taking the right approach to marketing a new comedy: releasing whole bits instead of cutting a bunch of gags into a trailer without a shred of context.

Compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RkBKedKWw

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hey why does the animation in the wacky comedy TMNT series rule so hard?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

talented director + veteran animators + extremely optimized workflow

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The story's also really good. Loving what they're doing with Shredder, and Draxum's redemption is extremely interesting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like comedy can just do a whole lot more with animation in general than something more serious and dramatic can do, because instead of building tension, you can just tell joke after joke and play a whole lot with motion and angles and framing.

The animation in general feels really well-managed too, like it's paced well. It doesn't have too many different things moving at once, and it's not afraid to "hold on a shot" for a little while. That's in addition to the elaborate action that'd be hard enough to plan out on its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuJ4KkM4tek

There's a lot less motion during the "non-action" scenes, but you still see that sort of creative framing and expression. It sure does help that each and every one of the main cast is so much more distinct of a character than they used to be in previous turtle series. The little movements they do carry some punch just like the big movements do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEtlsp1qRDM

I feel like in some ways it reminds me of Teen Titans, like the way that it's willing to play around with the visuals from moment to moment, but it's more stylistically consistent instead of jumping between chibi and normal. The CGI turtle series had more comedic stylistic breaks in addition to doing squash and stretch with the 3D models, but now the series is more built around the ability to warp everything at any given time for emphasis. It's a real accomplishment.

Also legit kung-fu comedy influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkPP9Mefmek

And like underneath the whole beauty of the animation, I love the characters and their designs. Raph being an awkward big brother leader who is physically just huge, Danny Devito Splinter, grumpy from being past his prime who is a fat little poo poo instead of aging gracefully, April aggressively trying to maintain her own normalcy between palling around with the turtles, Donny being full of fun verbal tics to express how much of an out of touch nerd he is, Mikey always being the youngest brother trying to make peace from a position of weakness, happy guinea pig flapjack, pig gordon ramsay, small worm and giant hippo roommates, giant bloodthirsty spider lady with a cutesy way of talking, Rob Paulsen doing a complicated voice way outside of his normal stable as a raspy older origami ninja, every character is great and immediately creates a fun conflict from their mere exisitence. It's all great.

I am disappointed that Baron Draxum was some kind of cat-man under his mask instead of a goat though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I definitely love the personality tweaks; my favorite Raph stories are him being protective of the rest, and Michelangelo's him trying to spread love to those around him, and the shift to Raph being the leader and Leo being the comedic loose canon just brings out those stories way more. The focus on family shines a lot in this show. Thinking of where we are now vs where we started, it's really about a broken family with a loving, but frustrated dad that ends up coming to terms with his past to embrace the love around him.

The only thing I don't care for in this incarnation is that Donatello episodes are still "Donnie invents something that will clearly go wrong, he's warned but decides science is more important and ruins everything until he fixes it in the last few minutes"

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Seconding the good character writing, this is by far my favourite incarnation of Splinter, and it's 10% the Lou Jitsu backstory and 90% that he's down for goofing around with his kids and being involved in the wild poo poo they do

I honestly really hope Leo doesn't somehow end up becoming The Leader like the other series because Raph's actually doing alright herding his chaotic rear end siblings around just by being a big bro? And they're all pretty in tune with each other when they fight so it's not like they need the super strict guidance of an 'official' leader when what they got now with everyone contributing equally works well.

Also, it's not the full clip, but here's a version of that linked scene with sound:
https://twitter.com/enjoy_rottmnt/status/1284558555635306496?s=20

VibrantPareidolia fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 24, 2020

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Also, it's not the full clip, but here's a version of that linked scene with sound:
https://twitter.com/enjoy_rottmnt/status/1284558555635306496?s=20
That was one of the coolest fight scenes I've ever seen in an American cartoon. Hate how the alchemist looks, though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
When the gently caress did Turtles go full anime?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

When the gently caress did Turtles go full anime?!

https://youtu.be/jwqKg76GJCo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Supersonic Shine posted:

That was one of the coolest fight scenes I've ever seen in an American cartoon. Hate how the alchemist looks, though.

He looked better as a villain with his mask on. (Which everyone thought was just his face until it was revealed to be a mask.)

But yeah the show has always had some great action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2xG9x3x6ZI

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 25, 2020

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The cast list for Amazon's Invincible animated series is pretty great. Apparently a trailer is coming soon.

Mark Grayson (Invincible): Steven Yeun
Nolan Grayson (Omni-Man): J. K. Simmons
Debbie Grayson: Sandra Oh
Art Rosebaum: Mark Hamill
Cecil Stedman: Walton Goggins
Allen the Alien: Seth Rogen
Atom Eve: Gillian Jacobs
Rex Splode: Jason Mantzoukas
Robot: Zachary Quinto
The Immortal: Ross Marquand
War Woman: Lauren Cohan
Green Ghost: Sonequa Martin-Green
Martian Man: Chad Coleman
William Clockwell: Andrew Rannells
Amber Bennett: Zazie Beetz
Red Rush: Michael Cudlitz
Darkwing: Lennie James
Doc Seismic: Chris Diamantopoulos
Black Samson: Khary Payton
Dupli-Kate: Malese Jow
Monster Girl: Kevin Michael Richardson and Grey Griffin
Shrinking Ray: Grey Griffin
Mauler Twins: Kevin Michael Richardson

X-O fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 25, 2020

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

No crusher twins no deal

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

The cast list for Amazon's Invincible animated series is pretty great. Apparently a trailer is coming soon.

Mark Grayson (Invincible): Steven Yeun
Nolan Grayson (Omni-Man): J. K. Simmons
Debbie Grayson: Sandra Oh
Art Rosebaum: Mark Hamill
Cecil Stedman: Walton Goggins
Allen the Alien: Seth Rogen
Atom Eve: Gillian Jacobs
Rex Splode: Jason Mantzoukas
Robot: Zachary Quinto
The Immortal: Ross Marquand
War Woman: Lauren Cohan
Green Ghost: Sonequa Martin-Green
Martian Man: Chad Coleman
William Clockwell: Andrew Rannells
Amber Bennett: Zazie Beetz
Red Rush: Michael Cudlitz
Darkwing: Lennie James
Doc Seismic: Chris Diamantopoulos
Black Samson: Khary Payton
Dupli-Kate: Malese Jow
Monster Girl: Kevin Michael Richardson and Grey Griffin
Shrinking Ray: Grey Griffin

drat, what's it gonna be on?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scaramouche posted:

No crusher twins no deal

Apparently Kevin Michael Richardson is them as well as Monster Girl's monster form.

Skwirl posted:

drat, what's it gonna be on?

Amazon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Walt Goggins!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sorry but I'm not looking forward to the over the top gore and rape scenes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah I'd mostly be interested in this if it turned out to be one of those "in name only" adaptations rather than anything actually accurate to the source material

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

I always remember people asking for a fresh superhero series to jump onto when I worked at the FLCS and Invincible would have been perfect except I knew that would turn some of them off. Clearly it didn't hurt the book, but it honestly always felt jarring when it came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I always remember people asking for a fresh superhero series to jump onto when I worked at the FLCS and Invincible would have been perfect except I knew that would turn some of them off. Clearly it didn't hurt the book, but it honestly always felt jarring when it came up.

Astro City would be perfect for that if it weren't kinda a pain in the rear end to collect