Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
This is amazing

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/1286709530106179584?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I didn't know Jae Lee was CHUD adjacent, that's disappointing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Jae Lee is a chud?! I had him sign a bunch of Batman/Superman stuff at a con last year, I had no idea he was a cg gently caress.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Jae Lee is a chud?! I had him sign a bunch of Batman/Superman stuff at a con last year, I had no idea he was a cg gently caress.

Yeah, doing some searching he did an alt cover for cyberfrog.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Aw man, I love Jae Lee's stuff. That is really sad to hear.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

At least it looks like that's all he's done, I can't find anything else or a statement on anything. It's believable enough that someone he considered a colleague asked a favour and he did up a cover without knowing more. Guess we'll find out

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

At least it looks like that's all he's done, I can't find anything else or a statement on anything. It's believable enough that someone he considered a colleague asked a favour and he did up a cover without knowing more. Guess we'll find out

Eh, he should have at least known why DC poo poo canned EVS in the first place.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Bleeding Cool got a statement. Seems like Jae Lee is very off social media and was only notified what comicsgate was after he finished. He says he's refused requests for future work from them.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/tom-king-rorschach-1-cover-jae-lee/

quote:

UPDATE: It is as we expected, Bleeding Cool has learned that Jae Lee didn't have a clue who or what Comicsgate was until more recently, at which point he declined similar cover requests.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It seems extremely implausible that someone in the industry didn't know what Comicsgate is. Did he not even look briefly into the thing he made a cover for?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It seems extremely implausible that someone in the industry didn't know what Comicsgate is. Did he not even look briefly into the thing he made a cover for?

I mean if you're never online, I would imagine it would be pretty easy to not know.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of creators don't even keep up with comics being published. I can believe that someone who doesn't use social media isn't aware of comicsgate.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There are regularly people who come into this thread, who presumably keep up with comics, who don't know what Comicsgate is. I think it's quite easy to just not be aware of it, I think if your main channels of contact with comics are your LCS or Comixology it could be entirely possible to just not have it on your radar.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I also don't think "creator decides to do independent comic and asks me to draw a comic" is remotely implausible in a way that would lead you to decide they were fired by their employer.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I remember that Jae Lee became very popular in the early-mid '90s, around the time EVS was doing Cyberfrog, so Lee might have remembered him from Wizard ads back then, without having kept up to date on his career (or lack thereof).

I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone CG-adjacent, but if Lee is not on social media and they aren't close, that could have been the connection.

For what it's worth, if not for Twitter and especially BSS, I probably would never know about CG, and I try to stay on top of comics-related news that interests me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 24, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It is amusing that the guy who used to torture brown people for a living is calling out comicsgate.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I remember that Jae Lee became very popular in the early-mid '90s, around the time EVS was doing Cyberfrog, so Lee might have remembered him from Wizard ads back then, without having kept up to date on his career (or lack thereof).

I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone CG-adjacent, but if Lee is not on social media and they aren't close, that could have been the connection.

For what it's worth, if not for Twitter and especially BSS, I probably would never know about CG, and I still try to stay on top of comics-related news that interests me.

The BC article said that he did Cyberfrog drawings for Harris Comics in the 90s. So it might have just been "oh I used to draw this and it's back so sure I'll draw a cover" and he didn't look into EVS now owns it and EVS is part of comicsgate.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

The BC article said that he did Cyberfrog drawings for Harris Comics in the 90s. So it might have just been "oh I used to draw this and it's back so sure I'll draw a cover" and he didn't look into EVS now owns it and EVS is part of comicsgate.

Ah, I didn't click the BC link because I usually don't read them, but I can buy that as an explanation.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Ethan suckered him into it:

https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/statu...803835898535938

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I look forward to EVS' livestream of him openly weeping about losing a friend but talking about CG buying him, like, a new car or whatever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

For what it's worth, if not for Twitter and especially BSS, I probably would never know about CG, and I try to stay on top of comics-related news that interests me.

This thread is my sole source for information about CG. I doubt I would know it even existed otherwise.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Considering how a lot of people avoid social media and comicsgate is primarily on Twitter it's pretty plausible that someone could be ignorant of it.

Also heartening that for all comicsgate talk about being "influential" they only got Jae Lee associated with them because he didn't know who they are.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I'm a little pissed at Tom King putting Jae Lee on blast like that without getting more info first.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
You'd think he'd be better at intelligence gathering :thunk:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hahaha.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dreqqus posted:

:prepop:

Skwirl posted:

It is amusing that the guy who used to torture brown people for a living is calling out comicsgate.

:popeye:

Hot dang.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I went out with a few high profile artists a couple years back. They really didn’t keep up with comics too much because they either had families, their own art, multiple jobs, or just weren’t interested. I believe Jae Lee 100%.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dreqqus posted:

:boom:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

hadji murad posted:

I went out with a few high profile artists a couple years back. They really didn’t keep up with comics too much because they either had families, their own art, multiple jobs, or just weren’t interested. I believe Jae Lee 100%.

Yeah, being online is probably important for newer artists, but Jae Lee probably gets more offers than he's capable of doing and he's been around since the 90s so he probably doesn't need to network that much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Then there's guys like EVS and Rob who should get the gently caress off the internet/social media.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Jae Lee still uses his AOL email account when corresponding about commissions, so I totally believe he's not online.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm happy that it was just a misunderstanding, I love Jae Lee's art.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Just oof

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1287128650635239424?s=19

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Sooo

I know I can’t draw period. But am I right in my assessment that the charter’s spine is basically a pretzel and / or broken and dislocated in three spots to achieve this pose?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nystral posted:

Sooo

I know I can’t draw period. But am I right in my assessment that the charter’s spine is basically a pretzel and / or broken and dislocated in three spots to achieve this pose?

Yes. You'd only get that sort of hip placement after such phrases like 'injuries sustained in a tragic car accident.'

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What is happening with her legs?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The upper body: okay. Not perfect, but you probably wouldn't spend much time either admiring or critiquing it.

Once it gets to the waist though... yikes. Nothing about the lower body makes sense.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

lol at the calves.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I mean her torso is nearly 90 degrees in angle from her chest but I just assume that's how all females look when moving. Also I am forever a 15 year boy with no idea of how the human body works.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dan Didio posted:

lol at the calves.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1287130407109107712?s=20

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think it's good that they're finally acknowledging that radiation wouldn't just give you superpowers, but also huge tumors on random spots of your body.