Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ah i see theyre following in the proud russigate of declaring that actions which are perfectly common in other countries and so mundane its difficult to explain to a normal person why theyre even illegal in the first place are actually crimes against humanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Some Guy TT posted:

ah i see theyre following in the proud russigate of declaring that actions which are perfectly common in other countries and so mundane its difficult to explain to a normal person why theyre even illegal in the first place are actually crimes against humanity

but iT's ThE LaW iN bOLiViA, enforce it impartially!!!

*replies to tweet saying they want MAS members out of election day with a bunch of hearts*

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1285259159739531268

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1285032931472429056

Fast Luck has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Jul 20, 2020

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

why was bolivia barbie put in charge of the country anyway if her party isn't even 2nd in parliament

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

zegermans posted:

why was bolivia barbie put in charge of the country anyway if her party isn't even 2nd in parliament

Pro-US intervention christofash

Some of their campaign vehicles had literal nazi iconography on them. They really know how to get US support

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

zegermans posted:

I think because it was a military coup

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They also wanted to give it an air of constitutionality instead of just going with a coup leader like Camacho. All it takes for bourgeois media to nod along happily is to look at the line of presidential succession, conveniently skip the first 8 (MAS) names, and then you get to some fascist nobody from a minor party and say the non-existent voter fraud demands it be her.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Some of their campaign vehicles had literal nazi iconography on them.

ah so she really is a barbie.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

maybe this is a dumbfuck question, but when I click through (not logged in to twitter) almost all the comments on this rifai guy's post are him replying to no one. what causes this? deleted accounts, replies that the OP hid, something on my end?

anyway lol loving hell this dude

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I saw replies, IDK.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
https://mobile.twitter.com/BethLynch2020/status/1285312394793713664

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

maybe this is a dumbfuck question, but when I click through (not logged in to twitter) almost all the comments on this rifai guy's post are him replying to no one. what causes this? deleted accounts, replies that the OP hid, something on my end?

anyway lol loving hell this dude

I see some of the comments, but some are gone. It could be the OP blocked them, or maybe reported them? Idk, twitter can opaque about how it works.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/LulaOficial/status/1285355922559250438

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

he's an evil monster but I can't help but laugh every time he somehow survives stupid poo poo while looking so bad

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

zegermans posted:

he's an evil monster but I can't help but laugh every time he somehow survives stupid poo poo while looking so bad

he looks like he is in a perpetual state of rotting

look at that pock marked slouching skin

even that repulsive organ is attempting to escape the visage of this reptiloid human shaped malignant cancer

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Bolsonaro looks like he takes skincare advice from Steve Bannon

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/AlinaDuarte_/status/1283223908825661440

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/g_on811/status/1285720960180596739?s=21

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/kawsachunnews/status/1285710419370348545?s=21
Pretty grim

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thank God the OAS protected Bolivia from corruption of its democracy

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1286012040428036096

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Election postponed for the third time. Heh :|

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's a legitimate sounding reason so I suspect they realized there wasn't any way they were going to be able to ban the party leading in the polls without murdering a lot of protesters.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Or they have an enormous murder backlog.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

note that these are the same electoral authorities installed by the coup leaders after they arrested the previous ones

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
can the party in power do nothing to stop covid as an excuse to cancel elections? turns out Yes. you're seeing it more and more.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
what was that one lady’s name who was always being presented as an “environmental activist” and was doing PR for the Bolivia coup? what’s she up to these days?

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

man these fuckers are good, canceling an election on a miniscule technicality like that is lib catnip

and of course the fact that the technicality doesn't even apply yet just drags leftists into the mire of discussing bullshit technicalities

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lightning Knight posted:

what was that one lady’s name who was always being presented as an “environmental activist” and was doing PR for the Bolivia coup? what’s she up to these days?
she seems fine with all this

https://twitter.com/JhanisseVDaza/status/1286360041914859532

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

https://twitter.com/JhanisseVDaza/status/1285968917295280128?s=20

quote:

#Nonviolence My column today for @pagina_siete uses Gandhian ideas to explain why myself & other activists in @StandingRivers refuse to be candidates or join any party. #Bolivia

Read it (in English) here: https://jhanisse.com/2020/07/22/not-saints-not-candidates/

quote:

Not saints, not candidates
jhanissevd Uncategorized July 22, 2020 3 Minutes
Translation of column published in Página Siete on July 22, 2020.

“But how do you plan to change things if you are not candidates for anything? ” As a young activist and part of the Ríos de Pie (Standing Rivers) movement, this is a repetitive question in interviews that we sometimes give. Our enthusiasm for nonviolent activism from civil society is constantly received with skepticism by political actors in the country. Today I want to delve into the reason for staying as a citizen movement, and not becoming or joining any party. In a society prone to caudillismo, it has been rare that we reject the opportunity to put our credibility with a name and photo on a ballot.

I really enjoy causing that disruption because it reflects the heart of Ríos de Pie’s activism. We try to make our means of participating in politics the same as our ends: to empower citizens, not any political figures. Our intention is to break with old canons. This will be achieved by listening to and learning more about the plurality of Bolivia, rather than looking for Bolivia to know more about us. We do not want to repeat historical errors. We are not candidates because candidates seek microphones, we seek to listen.

The best activism is born in the plurality of ideas that come together to generate collective intelligence. This will always be more valuable than focusing only on one’s own ideas, and also more unpredictable and effective when generating campaigns. Active listening and especially listening to those who can rarely speak is the greatest treasure of nonviolence. I learned this by studying the preparation for the historic Salt March that Gandhi strategized (1930). The Mahatma spent almost two months in isolation trying to plan an effective civil disobedience campaign against the English empire. He spent all this time silently meditating and reading letters with suggestions from people all across India. It was by reading these letters that Gandhi found the answer he was looking for: Indian workers had demanded years ago the abolition of the 1882 salt tax. The elites of the Indian independence movement did not hear or understand this request, but Gandhi did. Based on this he launched a salt campaign that would end up defeating England’s imperial occupation of India. Gandhi and his movement, unlike the political elites, did know how to listen.

At this moment, Ríos de Pie is, in a way, in its own Gandhian process of constant listening when managing donations for the Covid-19 emergency. The composition of our movement is varied, with members in urban and also rural areas, which allows us a great reach. Working in humanitarian campaigns puts us in direct contact with people who request support. Talking with these people opens our eyes even more about different obstacles that impede access to health, food or employment in different parts of the country. And that process, while bathing ourselves with humility, helps us to better understand how to attack those obstacles and how we can become an increasingly inclusive movement. After all, we are a movement of young people, and we admit that you can always learn more.

This listening process has not yet concluded for Ríos de Pie, and I doubt that it will do so soon or with a single campaign. By listening we have realized that we are more effective managing aid and doing activism than dealing with the bureaucracy that a party entails. Through listening we have also learned that the best protection for the rights of a society is its union and plurality. That is why we prefer to continue with what we do well and what we love to do: activism with creativity and nonviolence. I allow myself to paraphrase once again Mahatma Gandhi, who suffered harsh criticism for never accepting a formal position on India’s political committees. He constantly indicated that his commitment was to direct and nonviolent action, and added about himself: “Neither saint, nor politician.”

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Looks like poo poo is gonna kick off in Bolivia. Major union leaders are calling for non-stop protests beginning Tuesday until the elections are restored. Meanwhile coup government quickly responds by drawing up charges against them and threatening jail.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Not backing any candidates or joining any parties is exactly what the US-backed Venezuelan right does where they refuse to stand in elections that they know they'll lose, and then call the elections illegitimate and/or rigged

100% an op

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1286851161966825473?s=19

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1286866843307737088?s=20

god drat justice can't come soon enough

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Musk is a piece of poo poo but I really don't think he was that much of an influence in Bolivia considering how low are lithium exports are even after the coup. (He did had some dealings with El Chapo though 👁️)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh haha he's so edgy and hilarious

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Musk is a piece of poo poo but I really don't think he was that much of an influence in Bolivia considering how low are lithium exports are even after the coup. (He did had some dealings with El Chapo though 👁️)

yeah, his followup is that Tesla doesn't even source from Bolivia, but it's infuriating to see a US capitalist joke about how the US can do regime change wherever it wants

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

yeah, his followup is that Tesla doesn't even source from Bolivia, but it's infuriating to see a US capitalist joke about how the US can do regime change wherever it wants

lithium prices dropped sharply during and after the coup though. you don’t need to source your lithium from bolivia to profit from the price drop

assuming it’s a joke seems is giving elon way too much credit

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
If I'm remembering things correctly, the best argument against Musk/Tesla being involved in the coup is that Tesla stock prices didn't jump until the coup happened. Standardly, when companies are involved in a coup, the stock price jumps when the US/CIA decides on it, several days before the coup is enacted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not really one to give Musk due nuance here