Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Zazi posted:

wtf you gotta go overseas for

I need to escape this lovely country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
lol

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Sillybones posted:

I need an oracle to tell me when travel restrictions to overseas will be lifted. I feel like this is forever somehow.

Last I read, it's looking like some overseas travel restrictions may be lifted 1 January. The way covid is going in NSW at the moment, though, we're probably going to need to ban all overseas arrivals like Victoria has - so if you leave you may not be able to reenter.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Just kick Victoria out of Australia.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ili posted:

Ok but we get Tassie too, hope you like coronavirus Tasmania

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Zazi posted:

to be fair, look at your shelf: how many books you own in a4?

a4 is the paper size for non-publishers. People who ain't got nothin' to say.

[edit]

imagine reading a book in a4. My hands hurt just thinking about it.

i take it that you haven't studied at university

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

ili posted:

What do you think we have been trying to achieve for so long?! Victorious Victory; just. The Best, most elitist of elite.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Give us ACT and southern NSW up to Gundagai and I will lead the Great State of Victoria to an independent posadist revolution.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

naeka posted:

Give us ACT and southern NSW up to Gundagai and I will lead the Great State of Victoria to an independent posadist revolution.

That means you get all the snowfields and snowy hydro project though which isn’t fair. You can keep wagga though

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Tokamak posted:

Certainly not any real ones.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Zazi posted:

ow, my pride

[edit]

gently caress you I planned this

[edit2]

You can get Shannon Noll on Cameo for $87, that sounds like a hell of a deal.

Now I know what to get my husband for our anniversary, so thank you

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
just rename NSW to Victoria, QLD to NSW, and Victoria to QLD. Problem solved.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

just rename NSW to Victoria, QLD to NSW, and Victoria to QLD. Problem solved.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

That means you get all the snowfields and snowy hydro project though which isn’t fair. You can keep wagga though

Victoria was meant to run all the way up to the Murrumbidgee but some nsw prick got uppity and ran a scam because he was scared Sydney was becoming irrelevant compared to Melbourne because victoria had gold money and changed murrumbidgee to murray.

Basicly the eastern states are laid out the way they are because cunts from nsw cried like snotty little shits until someone went fine whatever you can get your way if you shut the gently caress up. This is NSWs legacy.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Tokamak posted:

I don't like to brag, but I graduated third in the 2016 animal husbandry class at Wiluna TAFE

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Zazi posted:

I don't like to brag, but I graduated third in the 2016 animal husbandry class at Wiluna TAFE

Fair dinks? What's NVJ like as a teacher?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Putting tuxes on horses is against God's plan.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Or am I confusing this with horse grooming?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Sillybones posted:

Putting tuxes on horses is against God's plan.

Yeah but would they wear it like this or this

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

you can't just put an off the rack tux on a horse, they're like vin diesel, they're too muscly to be contained in a normally tailored suit

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I wish all these cunts buying the houses I wanna buy would gently caress off.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Airstream Driver posted:

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Airstream Driver posted:

I wish all these cunts would gently caress off.

made it simpler

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
The solution is simple, buy a house no one else wants.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Just watched Filthy Rich and found it oddly disappointing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Strong Convections posted:

i did this and its working out great. in unrelated news I have a nasty lantana rash on my arms

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Strong Convections posted:

Will probably end up doing this but I've got delicate accountant hands and don't want to be doing large renos.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hype that Victoria has 4000 active Corona cases, has now accounted for more deaths than NSW, and the government has double downed on the suppression strategy rather than an elimination strat.

Hype hype hype for Waves 3 and 4.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Visible Stink posted:

We are one, but we are many
And all the jobs on earth we’ve done
We share a dream, and post with one voice
I am, you are, we are NVJ

Airstream Driver posted:

Dude 100%, we looked at like 9 houses today and are actually putting an offer on one to see if they'll take it prior to auction. Hoping for it cos it was a nice place and ready to move into, no work needed

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

McSpergin posted:

Dude 100%, we looked at like 9 houses today and are actually putting an offer on one to see if they'll take it prior to auction. Hoping for it cos it was a nice place and ready to move into, no work needed

You're in Sydney aren't you? I don't envy you, you're in the land of auctions. I'm looking in a popular suburb about 10k out of bris and if it's a nice house it gets snapped up in a week for imo a 20% premium. It's hosed.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

McSpergin posted:

how is the market? lots of other cunts trying to snipe others with covid taking others out?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Airstream Driver posted:

You're in Sydney aren't you? I don't envy you, you're in the land of auctions. I'm looking in a popular suburb about 10k out of bris and if it's a nice house it gets snapped up in a week for imo a 20% premium. It's hosed.

We looked for around a year in Brisbane and put five offers down that never went anywhere. I tell you what, looking for houses every single weekend is the most depressing poo poo ever. Specially when you rock up at the open house on Saturday and get told someone put an offer down on Tuesday already.

Got lucky with a fixer upper with good bones that was a deceased estate. Two viewings, expressed interest at the first one, out in an offer at the second, finished negotiations on the offer the next day. We’re only the second owners since it was built in 1966, and we refinanced along the way to afford a new bathroom and kitchen. Just did the roof too.

I hope you get what you’re after, it can be a real nightmare.

F
Nov 6, 2005

Jestery posted:

I am a child

You and me both mate

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I went into Services SA to renew my ID and as the person printed out the ticket the computer voice announced me to attend a counter. There were plenty of people there too.

I then went into Centrelink to do some Medicare stuff and there was maybe one other person there in the massive waiting area and I was seen right away. Also they seem to have gotten the picture at some point and removed all the TV's and wall-posters and floating posters with oppressive and insulting messages bombarding you wherever you look. It was almost pleasant. I assume it will all turn to poo poo again when the covid measures pass.

I could never have dreamed for a more easy time of things.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

femcastra posted:

We looked for around a year in Brisbane and put five offers down that never went anywhere. I tell you what, looking for houses every single weekend is the most depressing poo poo ever. Specially when you rock up at the open house on Saturday and get told someone put an offer down on Tuesday already.

Got lucky with a fixer upper with good bones that was a deceased estate. Two viewings, expressed interest at the first one, out in an offer at the second, finished negotiations on the offer the next day. We’re only the second owners since it was built in 1966, and we refinanced along the way to afford a new bathroom and kitchen. Just did the roof too.

I hope you get what you’re after, it can be a real nightmare.

Thank you. We're coming up on a year of looking. We're not prepared to pay more than we think it's worth and that's what is making it frustrating. Now that we can both work from home we're considering moving further out to get something affordable. We both work full time and really don't want to have to deal with a fixer upper requiring a couple of years worth of weekends to get it where we want it.

There have been three open houses where there have been about 20 people show up and the agents are nowhere to be seen. Every time the agents have been uncontactable until the next Monday and then they spam you with calls and blame the website for not updating the open being cancelled. Can't wait to have a weekend not dealing with this poo poo.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Airstream Driver posted:

Thank you. We're coming up on a year of looking. We're not prepared to pay more than we think it's worth and that's what is making it frustrating. Now that we can both work from home we're considering moving further out to get something affordable. We both work full time and really don't want to have to deal with a fixer upper requiring a couple of years worth of weekends to get it where we want it.

There have been three open houses where there have been about 20 people show up and the agents are nowhere to be seen. Every time the agents have been uncontactable until the next Monday and then they spam you with calls and blame the website for not updating the open being cancelled. Can't wait to have a weekend not dealing with this poo poo.

To be clear, we didn’t do the renovations ourselves, got a designer to do up plans and he works with a builder that project manages so we didn’t have to do it ourselves. The most we have had to do is ripping up lino and doing a few weekends of painting. Hit me up if in the future you’d like their details, would highly recommend.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Airstream Driver posted:

Now that we can both work from home we're considering moving further out to get something affordable.

My partner runs a software start-up and I work from home so we couldn't justify a $600K mortgage just for the convenience of living close to the nearest big city. The affordable house we bought is about an hour drive out of town, but we don't need to go there often. It was nice not having to compete with the larger groups of people that were showing up to open houses in the city! Good luck with your search, house hunting is pretty stressful.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

ili posted:

SAP is an absolute bastard of a thing, I dislike it immensely.

:lol:

gently caress SAP.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Airstream Driver posted:

We were in about the same boat here in Adelaide over the last year or so, finally went with the option of buying one no one else (except my partner) wanted, and yeah the prospect of spending the next couple of years fixing the place up is not one I feel ready for. Needs a new kitchen, bathroom, wiring, roof fixes, storm water drainage, lino taken up (probably asbestos backed, so that's happening first) and a living room extension, but we got it for something like $75k under what the bank valued it at, so that's nice. This was after putting offers/bidding on approximately 14 places since mid last year and consistently seeing people offer well above asking price in the dark.

I personally believe the covid stuff has been making it worse, because people have been shaken by the economic slump and seeing all the news that house prices are set to tumble have come into the market believing that the prices that are there represent an already reduced level. I do wonder at times whether it would overall have been best to wait until the banks release their mortgage repayment freezes, but betting on house prices to finally shake in Australia is what caused us to wait so long in the first place, to the point we were almost priced out.

I am so loving glad not to be going to multiple opens every weekend anymore though, so all I can say is if you're really set on getting a house at least escaping that grind is something you can genuinely look forward to no matter what you end up being successful on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Sillybones posted:

I went into Services SA to renew my ID and as the person printed out the ticket the computer voice announced me to attend a counter. There were plenty of people there too.

I then went into Centrelink to do some Medicare stuff and there was maybe one other person there in the massive waiting area and I was seen right away. Also they seem to have gotten the picture at some point and removed all the TV's and wall-posters and floating posters with oppressive and insulting messages bombarding you wherever you look. It was almost pleasant. I assume it will all turn to poo poo again when the covid measures pass.

I could never have dreamed for a more easy time of things.

Nice. When I lost my job a couple of years back I blew a sickening amount living off my savings because I couldn't bear the prospect of going back on the Centrelink oppression roundabout. I guess the system works!

Fun fact about intentionally oppressive government support systems: South Australia has the 'most generous' workers compensation system in Australia, and one of the 'most generous' in the world in part because we provide 100% of earnings for a year after the injury before stepping down to 80% for another year. When parliament was debating restructuring our various schemes in 1986, 2008 and 2014 on each occasion a significant portion of the discussion revolved around comparisons with other jurisdictions in Australia and 'the literature' that suggested giving workers all of the money they were earning when they've been hosed up by their jobs 'incentivises a culture of entitlement and malingering'. Never seen any of that literature myself, but just know that if you've ever got injured at work and received less than your paycheck because of it, the system was designed that way to force you back to work before you were fully healed.

[edit]
I know it sounds super obvious when you say it out loud, I just find it confronting that the intent to oppress is not in any way disguised amongst the parliamentarians debating the topic on the hansard.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 25, 2020