Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

prokaryote posted:

18Ches from All Aboard Games may be a better entry point to the system (temporarily sold out until the Fall I think). I'm sure others will chime in, but I think the reception on 61/67 is somewhat lukewarm. 1882 is also a great option, and I'm under the impression its a far better game than 18Ches. The caveat is is that it's a bit brutal.

IMO 1830 is actually a good entry point anyway (and readily available EDIT: nevermind vvvvvv), people approach it like it's some monster but its p easy, just a bit long. The classic recommendation for an intro 18xx is 1889, but it's hard to buy for the time being.

So anyway I think 18Ches, 1882 or 1830 are better first 18xx buys than 61/67

Edit: 18MS is a forthcoming small 18xx from AAG, but few people have played the new version, but it may suffer from the 61/67 problem in that it just might not be any good?

Chessy is a good intro but a bit toothless with experience (on purpose).

61/67 are fine but would be a better second game.

Chessy and 1830 are on 18xx.games if you want a trial run!

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

Chessy is a good intro but a bit toothless with experience (on purpose).
yeah this is why I feel like you should just go straight to like 1830

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

prokaryote posted:

yeah this is why I feel like you should just go straight to like 1830

1830 has an even worse private company issue than '18Chessie does. Geez I couldn't imagine players coming from a Euro game background understanding how to play '30. Sure if you're used to playing more competitive games it might could work, but I seriously doubt that four new players could properly price the privates, especially Camden & Amboy, and whomever stumbles into a cheap valuable private has a big leg up on the other players.

I guess I evaluate what I think beginning players can handle differently than others because I don't like setting up players to lose because of a choice they couldn't possibly see the outcome of when they made it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

1830 has an even worse private company issue than '18Chessie does. Geez I couldn't imagine players coming from a Euro game background understanding how to play '30. Sure if you're used to playing more competitive games it might could work, but I seriously doubt that four new players could properly price the privates, especially Camden & Amboy, and whomever stumbles into a cheap valuable private has a big leg up on the other players.

I guess I evaluate what I think beginning players can handle differently than others because I don't like setting up players to lose because of a choice they couldn't possibly see the outcome of when they made it.

Everyone can fumble around for a bit and figure it out. I think the biggest problem is just how confusing the waterfall auction system is for first-timers. It could be bad if people overpay for the privates, potentially kneecapping the experience before it even begins, but as long as people are clear on the mechanics and the amount of money needed to start a company there shouldn't be too many problems. Yes, I think this would require people doing a bit of research beforehand to avoid beginner mistakes like this but overall I really can't imagine people used to MWE having trouble getting into 1830. Hell, I taught it to my two friends who are fairly new to games in general and one of which has virtually no experience at all and they both excelled.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Everyone can fumble around for a bit and figure it out. I think the biggest problem is just how confusing the waterfall auction system is for first-timers. It could be bad if people overpay for the privates, potentially kneecapping the experience before it even begins, but as long as people are clear on the mechanics and the amount of money needed to start a company there shouldn't be too many problems. Yes, I think this would require people doing a bit of research beforehand to avoid beginner mistakes like this but overall I really can't imagine people used to MWE having trouble getting into 1830. Hell, I taught it to my two friends who are fairly new to games in general and one of which has virtually no experience at all and they both excelled.

The experience will be way better if there were an experienced player at the table, no question.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Mayveena posted:

idk if this sort of thing is that special to 1830, so it seems odd to me to single out '30 compared to other games? Like there's the non RG/trainer openings in FCM, and I'm sure most people's first play of more complex euros is a write-off anyway - like if you're playing a Lacerda for the first time, I'm sure there's plenty of dumb stuff you can do in the first few rounds that guarantee you'll lose. Maybe you feel it's more drastic in '30 compared to other games?

Personally, if I know that I'm going to commit like 4 hours to playing a game, I'm going to read a bit beforehand (e.g., on BGG forums etc.) to try to avoid some common pitfalls, no matter the game. And if I'm playing it with other noobs, I'm happy to explain what I read beforehand as well. I realize not everybody enjoys doing this, but then like if you do something that loses on round 1, I don't think you can complain.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

prokaryote posted:

idk if this sort of thing is that special to 1830, so it seems odd to me to single out '30 compared to other games? Like there's the non RG/trainer openings in FCM, and I'm sure most people's first play of more complex euros is a write-off anyway - like if you're playing a Lacerda for the first time, I'm sure there's plenty of dumb stuff you can do in the first few rounds that guarantee you'll lose. Maybe you feel it's more drastic in '30 compared to other games?

Personally, if I know that I'm going to commit like 4 hours to playing a game, I'm going to read a bit beforehand (e.g., on BGG forums etc.) to try to avoid some common pitfalls, no matter the game. And if I'm playing it with other noobs, I'm happy to explain what I read beforehand as well. I realize not everybody enjoys doing this, but then like if you do something that loses on round 1, I don't think you can complain.

First of all, not everyone does that and it frankly shouldn't be required. No other recent 18xx has as unbalanced privates as 1830, almost certainly because designers view that as a mistake. If players want to play it, fine, I'm just not recommending that four players who've never played the game before should have to read up or stumble through.

E: The problem is there is no way they can see any effect of their play. Even in FCM you might could work out that recruiting girl is a good play because in Euros, more plays are simply better.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 24, 2020

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Mayveena posted:

First of all, not everyone does that and it frankly shouldn't be required.

Yeah i agree with that, i didn't mean to say it was required. Just a possible solution for trying to avoid the problems you're stating in 1830, and I feel its an option if somebody is seriously interested in the game, and willing to invest the time to learn the rules.

Mayveena posted:

No other recent 18xx has as unbalanced privates as 1830, almost certainly because designers view that as a mistake. If players want to play it, fine, I'm just not recommending that four players who've never played the game before should have to read up or stumble through.

E: The problem is there is no way they can see any effect of their play. Even in FCM you might could work out that recruiting girl is a good play because in Euros, more plays are simply better.

sure, i guess I kind of disagree that the difference between '30 and other games is so drastic that the former has to be treated with kid gloves. Like you say "...in FCM you might could work out that recruiting girl is a good play " - yeah, but plenty of people won't? Especially if they're trying to understand all the rules at the same time. And at the end of the day, in either game you have some people that lost in round 1, I don't know if it really matters that in game X they had a small chance to avoid their mistake by some preternatural insight, whereas in game Y they had a much smaller (or zero) chance.

Edit: Like I don't think its much of a consolation prize to say to someone that lost early in a game like FCM or whatever that "well, in your first play of this game you could have figured out that it was a bad move because of XYZ reasons", so idk if I feel there's that much of a difference in that regard between '30 and other games.

prokaryote fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 24, 2020

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Having never played any of the games I'm about to mention, I think the difference might be because 18xx is a family. That means it is way, way easier and more cogent to suggest different starting points. Like, if you want a complicated non-train game, if I suggest FCM, it is less direct for someone to counter with TGZ or something.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

61/67 is planned to have a short easy start variant with pre-made bundles of privates and minors.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

prokaryote posted:

Yeah i agree with that, i didn't mean to say it was required. Just a possible solution for trying to avoid the problems you're stating in 1830, and I feel its an option if somebody is seriously interested in the game, and willing to invest the time to learn the rules.

sure, i guess I kind of disagree that the difference between '30 and other games is so drastic that the former has to be treated with kid gloves. Like you say "...in FCM you might could work out that recruiting girl is a good play " - yeah, but plenty of people won't? Especially if they're trying to understand all the rules at the same time. And at the end of the day, in either game you have some people that lost in round 1, I don't know if it really matters that in game X they had a small chance to avoid their mistake by some preternatural insight, whereas in game Y they had a much smaller (or zero) chance.

Edit: Like I don't think its much of a consolation prize to say to someone that lost early in a game like FCM or whatever that "well, in your first play of this game you could have figured out that it was a bad move because of XYZ reasons", so idk if I feel there's that much of a difference in that regard between '30 and other games.

You get Camden & Amboy at list in '30 and I don't see a way for a beginner playing with other beginners to lose. It's simply that unbalanced. Fortunately there's an auction so with experienced players it works reasonably well but beginners tend to take things at face value. Also not taking RG/Trainer in FCM just causes the game to end faster but at least you get to play to the end instead of going bankrupt in the middle.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yeah 1830 is a fragile game, sometimes it can explode spectacularly in people's faces. The closest Euro-equivalent I can think of is Archipelago.

A lot of the 30-likes have made changes to make them less fragile (89 only has 7 companies/better privates/less dead space, Chessy has the exports (no poison 4T) and simplified pars (no one's starting a new company and getting 2 5Ts like 1830)).

I guess the upcoming 1882 is supposed to be MORE fragile? :unsmigghh:

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Mayveena posted:

You get Camden & Amboy at list in '30 and I don't see a way for a beginner playing with other beginners to lose.

clearly you've never seen me play 1830! :cool:

Mayveena posted:

It's simply that unbalanced. Fortunately there's an auction so with experienced players it works reasonably well but beginners tend to take things at face value. Also not taking RG/Trainer in FCM just causes the game to end faster but at least you get to play to the end instead of going bankrupt in the middle.

sure, fair enough.

I guess at the end of the day, the original discussion was about whether to recommend 1830 to an 18xx-interested gaming group. I guess I can do this if I send them a note to glue to the gamebox which says "don't let the C+A go at face value"?

EDIT:

Bellmaker posted:

Yeah 1830 is a fragile game, sometimes it can explode spectacularly in people's faces. The closest Euro-equivalent I can think of is Archipelago.

A lot of the 30-likes have made changes to make them less fragile (89 only has 7 companies/better privates/less dead space, Chessy has the exports (no poison 4T) and simplified pars (no one's starting a new company and getting 2 5Ts like 1830)).

I guess the upcoming 1882 is supposed to be MORE fragile? :unsmigghh:

For me, the reason why '30 is in the discussion to recommend to a new group is that it's probably easier to get than 1889 (for now...), and idk if 18Ches has the legs that '30 does (granted I've not played the former). And then the other classic intro recommendation, '46, is operational (yawn). '49 I feel is pretty simple but its different cuz its partial cap so maybe not a great recommendation, even tho its basically the Best Game Ever.

prokaryote fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 24, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

prokaryote posted:

EDIT:

For me, the reason why '30 is in the discussion to recommend to a new group is that it's probably easier to get than 1889 (for now...), and idk if 18Ches has the legs that '30 does (granted I've not played the former). And then the other classic intro recommendation, '46, is operational (yawn). '49 I feel is pretty simple but its different cuz its partial cap so maybe not a great recommendation.

46 is not a good intro in my opinion. I'm fine with operational games but 46 is actually pretty darn punishing of mistakes.

49 is probably my favorite 18xx but it would not be my first/second/third recommendation, it's pretty up there with amounts of stuff going on.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

46 is not a good intro in my opinion. I'm fine with operational games but 46 is actually pretty darn punishing of mistakes.

49 is probably my favorite 18xx but it would not be my first/second/third recommendation, it's pretty up there with amounts of stuff going on.

'49 is indeed amazing, wish I could play it every week. if all games except TGZ and 1849 vanished from the earth, not sure how much worse off we'd be

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
You guys are making me excited for when my copy of 1849 shows up in... October?

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

You guys are making me excited for when my copy of 1849 shows up in... October?

i'm also quite excited to finally own a copy - considering that the last AAG run was delayed a bit, not expecting this one to be any different. OTOH, not sure it really matters as I can't imagine playing too many games in person until like 2021, living (unfortunately) in the US and all

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You just go all in with one of the 1822 family of games that takes 10 hours to play.

I am excited to play 18Ches when my copy ships in like December. I've been watching a playthrough of New England and been thinking about that too. Oh no I am developing train madness.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
1830 would be a lot easier to teach if the minimum value you could pay for C&A was 195 or 220 or something

Edit: obviously without changing the face value. Do it like 1846s debt concept, you get a private worth X and have to pay an extra Y to the bank.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 25, 2020

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Concordia rules, thanks for the recommendation a few pages ago! My friends and I are already hooked and we're like 1/2 way through our first game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cervixalot posted:

Concordia rules, thanks for the recommendation a few pages ago! My friends and I are already hooked and we're like 1/2 way through our first game.

Another boardgoon success story.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Cervixalot posted:

I think it's easily in the "10 Games You Need To Own" category. I've only played it about a dozen times though and spread out over the years so maybe people with more plays might disagree but I think it's remarkable.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just noticed that the Lord of the Rings Adventure Card Game (the one on Steam) has apparently transferred from Asmodee Digital to Antihero Studios, and they made an announcement on the Steam page with a development roadmap and everything.

Huh.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

I think it's easily in the "10 Games You Need To Own" category. I've only played it about a dozen times though and spread out over the years so maybe people with more plays might disagree but I think it's remarkable.

Concordia is middleweight (not the thread-skewed loony version of game weighting), broadly well liked, critically acclaimed, and goon approved, so just going by the percentages people are likely to have success with it. It's that last one that's hardest to get, since the first three include Wingspan and Terraforming Mars which are not as well liked in these parts.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Concordia is middleweight (not the thread-skewed loony version of game weighting), broadly well liked, critically acclaimed, and goon approved, so just going by the percentages people are likely to have success with it. It's that last one that's hardest to get, since the first three include Wingspan and Terraforming Mars which are not as well liked in these parts.

Y'know I was going to respond to this as if attacked, but I kinda agree with all of it.

I'm on the "TfM is bad" side, but still, everything you said tracks pretty well.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Concordia's strength is in how elegant it is. Play one card, perform its action. That's your turn.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
My copy of Hey, That's My Fish! finally arrived! I gave it a whirl and quite like it. My only question is, when a penguin is trapped/cut-off and therefore can't make a legal move, does it simply stay there (and therefore the tile it's on is wasted and doesn't get cashed-in) or can the penguin move/jump in the water as per the game description/theme, and get that tile as well?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Y'know I was going to respond to this as if attacked, but I kinda agree with all of it.

I'm on the "TfM is bad" side, but still, everything you said tracks pretty well.

:ssh: so am I. TfM was moderately pleasing but not worth 3 hours. I haven't played Wingspan but I'd like to play it because birb :stoked:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Llyranor posted:

Concordia's strength is in how elegant it is. Play one card, perform its action. That's your turn.
It also presents the game state very clearly. Lots of chunky settlements and clear imagery to help you know who will get what for doing things and where those things can be done.

It probably makes it into my top 3 games in my collection, I wish I could play it more often but now my games group is dead I am playing with people new to the hobby and theme seems to be more important than mechanics. I am hoping to shuffle us away from Catan and into Concordia territory now people are getting sick of Catan "screwing them" so being in total control of things with Concordia might be enough to get them to give it a real try.

Magnetic North posted:

:ssh: so am I. TfM was moderately pleasing but not worth 3 hours. I haven't played Wingspan but I'd like to play it because birb :stoked:
I quite like Wingspan. It has some mechanical/balance issues but it has impressive table presence for whatever that's worth, the art is lovely, it is competitive without being too cutthroat and it can be taught and played quickly. It gets a lot of hype that probably isn't entirely warranted but you can't hold that against the game or the designers. Plus, the hype means if I ever want to sell it I can probably make a profit!

Redundant fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 25, 2020

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Concordia is one of the most elegant games. Has more meat than century spice without much more difficulty and has an interesting map. I’m hoping for a return to simple, elegant, but vicious euros to come out in the vein of HT, fresh fish, or T&E instead of the ever increasingly overwrought designs. SUSD’s Targi review was great and pointed out that simplicity. Similarly, really looking forward to this:

https://twitter.com/boardgamegeek/status/1286328976034672641

Chonky tiles, good animals, and possibly incredibly mean? Hell yeah

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Concordia is one of the most elegant games. Has more meat than century spice without much more difficulty and has an interesting map. I’m hoping for a return to simple, elegant, but vicious euros to come out in the vein of HT, fresh fish, or T&E instead of the ever increasingly overwrought designs. SUSD’s Targi review was great and pointed out that simplicity. Similarly, really looking forward to this:

I hadn't read it before. That's the most unfriendly tie system I've ever seen, including patchistory.

I fuckin wanna try it.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Similarly, really looking forward to this:

Judging by the board and brief description, that looks a lot like Mexica.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Major Isoor posted:

My copy of Hey, That's My Fish! finally arrived! I gave it a whirl and quite like it. My only question is, when a penguin is trapped/cut-off and therefore can't make a legal move, does it simply stay there (and therefore the tile it's on is wasted and doesn't get cashed-in) or can the penguin move/jump in the water as per the game description/theme, and get that tile as well?

The latter - rulebook says that when you have no more legal moves, “He then removes his penguins from the game board and adds the ice floes they occupied to his collection.”

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I’m really hoping that turns out fun. I’m a big fan of Kramer, but his last few that I’ve played have been disappointing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Had a digital board game evening planned, was going to give Root + Dune a burl, but 2 people cancelled.

Just like real life :swoon:

Then one player sent me photos of him playing Unfair with his other group of friends, and I was like maaaaaaaaaate.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

One of the cancellations cause that would be rude af

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
gently caress that guy oh my GOD what a lovely goddamn friend.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Excited for dominoes to overtake roll & writes as the dominant board game trend.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I thought those were Mahjong tiles at first.

Nea posted:

gently caress that guy oh my GOD what a lovely goddamn friend.

Yeahhhhh cause we usually have a pact agreement to watch the How To Play videos before game night, so there's 50min I could have been playing Carrion :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gonna disagree with the thread here: 46 is a decent intro game if you're bootstrapping yourself into 18xx because it captures the overall game flow, the feel of the genre, and it doesn't have the entire game depend on the completely hosed up and counterintuitive waterfall auction. GMT's printing is also good for new players because it actually has the well actually rules printed on the board (e.g. double/triple jumps, full/half pay, etc).

1830 is probably better if you have people who have played a little bit of 18xx already but it's really tough for an unmoved mover. My path was 1846 -> 1830 -> 1857 -> Everything else